100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday was a test, for sure.

• Back to school after winter break
  • Meeting after school (cancelled, thankfully)
  • physical therapy on knee
  • offered to grab dinner for mom since I was dropping off her groceries
  • took mom to ER (COPD flare) bc Urgent Care had a 2.5 hr wait
  • mom released as snow started to fall
  • came home and saw an Ulta plat perk
  • loaded a cart
  • went to bed w/o buying anything (nervous shopping, ugh)
Then, woke up at 5AM to learn we have a SNOW DAY!!  Six inches fell but we're gearing up for some blowing/drifting.  And ooh, tomorrow night we're looking at a low of -10 with w/c down to -25.  BRR!
Sounds stressful! Good job on not clicking submit.

We just got school (work) cancelled tomorrow. Supposed to be -30 windchill. Yuck!

Sounds stressful! Good job on not clicking submit.

We just got school (work) cancelled tomorrow. Supposed to be -30 windchill. Yuck!
Thank you!!  We're on a delay, but it wouldn't surprise me if we close again b/c the w/c is supposed to be even colder 2 hours after the normal start of school.  Just crazy.  Our -30 is supposed to hit later tomorrow and into the AM on Thurs.  BRRRR!

Not gonna lie- today I had some temptations. I'd like to believe that even if given a great deal, I'd still have passed up on these. And I will do that. Nothing is worth adding another thing to my cache without using up something first.
Love your profile pic! You never know if it there will be a better deal by the time we are done with this challenge, and even if you will have to pay a bit more, I think you will feel thousand dollars better completing the challenge :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Snow day again today!  (Well, actually colder than #%$# day.)

I have to head out to mom's house to check on her pipes and then to physical therapy.  I'm waiting on a BB order (replenishment/used points) because I can't imagine it's a good idea to let anything sit in a mailbox for hours when it's below zero.

I think it's a good idea to take an indulgent shower using up some of my stash!

My poor pups are doing the "holding each paw up one at a time b/c my paw pads are frozen!"  I need to stop and get some mini treats for them while I'm out, so I may look for those little paw-shoes.  I shouldn't have to get more than 2 pairs -- I'll rotate them so two dogs can be out at a time.  I feel like I have four toddlers!  This is much preferred to the dream I had last night.  I was pregnant with twins!  The father was a jerk and impregnated a bunch of people around the same time (don't judge, it was a DREAM!), lol.  

Pls send warm wishes.  It's brutal out there.  

@ sending all the warm wishes!  We don't have too much more warmth here, but it's nowhere near as cold as you guys!!!  Yikes!  

I got all the Christmas stuff put away this morning!  It took an HOUR AND A HALF to pack!  And now I'm lagging behind on the rest of my stuff so I'm gonna go to the library as a treat for at least getting through the Christmas stuff.  Then I'll try to keep the kids occupied while I sort the linen closet.  I can do this.  I just have to get up off the couch  :couch:

As long as it's not a "strengthening" conditioner, they're good to use for shaving. If I remember right, they're conditioning so they don't dry out your skin and they help soften the hair before you cut it. It's been awhile since I heard the reasoning.
Ooooh great idea! YES!!!! You are awesome! *hugs* :hugs3:

@@eastofthesun -- I love your pf pic!!  Excellent reminder!

You are the queen of multiple quotes - I am in awe!!

Stay strong yourself!
Hahaha, thanks! I hope it doesn't get too annoying, it's just that I love commenting on everyone's posts! :blush2: :laughno:

So while I am primarily on a make up no buy, being able to stop and think about why I buy makeup has allowed me to look at things with a new perspective.  I am totally the type of person that could be like I am not buying makeup, so I am going to buy shoes!

I am trying to be more mindful.  Like when I want to buy something I ask myself "Am I buying this because I need this or because I want this?"  Most of the times it is a want.  I have packed up a huge bag of stuff for good will and taken so much stuff to work to give away that I literally cannot think of one thing I need.  I feel very fortunate to be able to have all I need at this time.  I am keeping a list of things so as things come up in the moment I can jot it down, determine if I want or need it in the future, almost like a wish list.

I appreciate that my husband has been really supportive in my mass decluttering and my no buy. He probably regrets it as every day he comes home from work I have a pile of stuff I am like "I want to donate this, yay or nay?"
I have to be mindful of that too- of spending in other areas.... I really want to be good during this no-buy, but I also want to like being this way, to hopefully  be more like this on the daily, without having to tell myself I'm on a no-buy and give myself rules. I think it'll be great to adopt your system of asking yourself why you want to buy something and really thinking about it. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Love your profile pic! You never know if it there will be a better deal by the time we are done with this challenge, and even if you will have to pay a bit more, I think you will feel thousand dollars better completing the challenge :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks!!! That is a *very* good point and I think you're right- in fact, my HG body lotion and exfoliant are currently on sale for 20% off, but I know that the website gets those kinds of sales frequently, and even if it doesn't, I don't want to purchase them yet because 1) I don't need them yet, 2 ) I think making spread-apart and necessity-only purchases during this time is key to not caving and going on a spending spree, and 3 ) I just think the feeling I'll get from being on a successful no-buy will be greater than 20% off one or two items, you know? THANKS!!! :hugs3:

Snow day again today!  (Well, actually colder than #%$# day.)

I have to head out to mom's house to check on her pipes and then to physical therapy.  I'm waiting on a BB order (replenishment/used points) because I can't imagine it's a good idea to let anything sit in a mailbox for hours when it's below zero.

I think it's a good idea to take an indulgent shower using up some of my stash!

My poor pups are doing the "holding each paw up one at a time b/c my paw pads are frozen!"  I need to stop and get some mini treats for them while I'm out, so I may look for those little paw-shoes.  I shouldn't have to get more than 2 pairs -- I'll rotate them so two dogs can be out at a time.  I feel like I have four toddlers!  This is much preferred to the dream I had last night.  I was pregnant with twins!  The father was a jerk and impregnated a bunch of people around the same time (don't judge, it was a DREAM!), lol.  

Pls send warm wishes.  It's brutal out there.  
Good idea on the stash!!! Sorry to hear it's so cold, and that your doggies have cold feet. :sunshine: I'm sending warm thoughts your way!! No judgement on the dream, by the way. I have *the* most messed up dreams of anyone I know. :bandit:

@ sending all the warm wishes!  We don't have too much more warmth here, but it's nowhere near as cold as you guys!!!  Yikes!  

I got all the Christmas stuff put away this morning!  It took an HOUR AND A HALF to pack!  And now I'm lagging behind on the rest of my stuff so I'm gonna go to the library as a treat for at least getting through the Christmas stuff.  Then I'll try to keep the kids occupied while I sort the linen closet.  I can do this.  I just have to get up off the couch  :couch:
Eugh, I forgot about putting away Christmas decorations! That is going to take me forever!!!! But I'm glad you reminded me!  I need to do it and it'll take my mind off browsing the internet or being lazy. Hehehe! I'll try to work on that this week. :flowers:

I want to buy! My sister has to stay an extra day at my house this week because of the weather. Today it was 12 degrees when we were out with the real feel in the negatives. She needed those gloves. It's been a difficult day yesterday and today dealing with her being upset with me for not buying a sweater she wants. She even threw a tantrum in the store.

I ordered something online last night and then cancelled the order 10 minutes later. I want to reorder it.

It is the Sample Society September box. The one with the full-size eye cream. Sigh :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@PA Anna You are going through SUCH a rough time right now, I'm so sorry!  From having to deal with your sister to having your husband asking you to clean up her messes (literally!) I can completely understand your desire to shop!  HOWEVER.  I promise you, fulfilling a no-buy goal will feel so much better than making an impulse purchase that won't actually *fix* anything. 

It is ENTIRELY up to you to decide if the eye cream is something you need or are willing to break your no (low?) buy for. I'm trying to talk you out of it because I feel that you came to this thread to be talked down.  But ultimately, it's up to you!  Good luck, and I hope your stress level goes WAY down soon!  We are here to listen whenever you need us!

@ Thank you for your kind words. I will be bringing her home tomorrow which will help a lot. She will be here Mon-Weds after that unless there are weather problems again. I cleaned up the house several times before :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> We've been trying different solutions. She is talking to her counselor which should help a lot. At least the cat is doing great and my BIL is now in a rehabilitation center and is working on recovering from his stroke. 

I resisted the temptation to order the box. It's easy to justify because I am paying a small amount for a large value. I don't physically need it. I need to make it to the end of the month when I go away for a business conference :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I resisted the temptation to order the box. It's easy to justify because I am paying a small amount for a large value. I don't physically need it.
This is my downfall every time!  I saw a deal on a subscription yesterday and I'm like, I should do that, I'll never see that price again.  Plus I get a raise at work.  And then I remembered the no buy and all my consumer debt.  And then I realized that, in fact, subscription deals come around all the time.

Anyway, back to the original point of this post which was to say good for you for not giving in, especially with all that has been going on in your life.  That is a lot for one person to have to deal with at once.  But we are here for you!

My warm thoughts go to those that are experiencing physical or mental coldness, and just wanted to say how much better this challenge is to have all you ladies-- I know whenever I come to this forum, there will be some positiveness and encouragement, and that is so so nice. 

@ Thank you for your kind words. I will be bringing her home tomorrow which will help a lot. She will be here Mon-Weds after that unless there are weather problems again. I cleaned up the house several times before :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> We've been trying different solutions. She is talking to her counselor which should help a lot. At least the cat is doing great and my BIL is now in a rehabilitation center and is working on recovering from his stroke. 

I resisted the temptation to order the box. It's easy to justify because I am paying a small amount for a large value. I don't physically need it. I need to make it to the end of the month when I go away for a business conference :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I'm so proud of you for resisting temptation!!! I know what you mean, and that would have seriously tempted me! I guess if you needed some eyecream you could check out a Sephora to try 3 different kinds and then at the end of the 100 days you could buy the one you liked the best?

This is my downfall every time!  I saw a deal on a subscription yesterday and I'm like, I should do that, I'll never see that price again.  Plus I get a raise at work.  And then I remembered the no buy and all my consumer debt.  And then I realized that, in fact, subscription deals come around all the time.

Anyway, back to the original point of this post which was to say good for you for not giving in, especially with all that has been going on in your life.  That is a lot for one person to have to deal with at once.  But we are here for you!
Yes, that's a lot to have to deal with at once. She is so strong!!!

I like how you said there are deals all the time that come around.... I need to remember that so I can be strong these next 100 days!!!

I'm having this dichotemy of wanting to keep up with all the freebies and deals that are coming out, but also I know I need to not know about them to best resist them,but then I know that it would be better for me in the long run to know about them and resist them, not just hide my head.... so I just don't know what to do! So far I've been learning about them and just resisting, but let's be real... there hasn't been that much temptation yet.

My warm thoughts go to those that are experiencing physical or mental coldness, and just wanted to say how much better this challenge is to have all you ladies-- I know whenever I come to this forum, there will be some positiveness and encouragement, and that is so so nice. 
I agree so much! This is just a great place full of wonderful, warm people who are so supportive! Hugs to you all! :wub:

@@Jenn10, wonderfully said! Those are some encouraging words.

I've been offered an apartment finally and it seems great but it is expensive, so I've been on a rollercoaster all day being indecisive if i should go for it or not, My current place is quite terrible, housemates who just break into my room and NEVER clean and the guy I rent it from never repairs anything. The need for new housing is high and I've been on a waitinglist forever before i got offered anything.

And being indecisive gives me these really highs of happiness and lows of depression. And before I knew it I found myself filling a shopping basket with lipbalms and lotions. Luckily I remembered I was on a no-buy for a 100 days, though realizing that I can't buy them now, but I can buy them after the no-buy later really calmed me down.

it did show me how my shopping habits are tied to my mood. I hope to break that tie with this no-buy

@@Jenn10, wonderfully said! Those are some encouraging words.

I've been offered an apartment finally and it seems great but it is expensive, so I've been on a rollercoaster all day being indecisive if i should go for it or not, My current place is quite terrible, housemates who just break into my room and NEVER clean and the guy I rent it from never repairs anything. The need for new housing is high and I've been on a waitinglist forever...
Housing is so important! How much of an increase is it between what you are paying now and what the new place would cost? Is there any place you could make cuts so that the apartment cost doesn't look as daunting? Good luck with your decision.

Today started out as a glorious rainbow, sunshiny day then the ugly evil dark clouds and rain decided to rain on my parade.  I was really tempted to buy stuff and was totally going to use whatever excuse I could think of to justify it but I realized if I gave in to letting other people get to me, I am not hurting them but me.

So I resisted temptation and walked away!  I can't say I feel good about it (so many negative feelings right now) but I know this too shall pass!

Happy Friday Eve!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It was a rough day yesterday between the cold, bringing her back home, and seeing more issues. I did remember to take a few moments for myself. I painted my nails and did a face mask last night. This morning I used a hair mask and a body scrub. I feel I can breathe...at least until Monday.

@@SneakyBurrito Congrats on your raise! Good job on resisting the subscription box deal. You've been through a lot lately too and been staying strong. Thank you for your words of encouragment.

@@eastofthesun The sample idea is a good idea. I went through my stockpile and found 3 deluxe samples of eye creams. I should use them first. I may use your idea if I ran out before the 100 days are up. It shows how strongly my emotions can be tied into buying.

@@Misame Great insight! Great job on resisting temptation.

@@lovepink Great job! I hope today is a better day for you.

So I haven't posted yet in this thread or set real goals, but I wanted to check in anyway....

broke my no buy twice in Jan already and now am up 20 polishes (hahahah CRIES). One was a Ciate advent set which was like $7 for 18 polishes+nail art, so like...I couldn't resist. I didn't need any of it, but I figured I could at least regift some of the colors for SS/presents later. Another was a 2 polish order from an indie having a 40% off sale. There was one polish I'd been dying to have since October, but they didn't od a black friday sale so I guess.

The new zoya thing is really tempting me but I REALLY don't need it. I do have a zoya 50% coupon I want to use before it expires at the end of March, but I'll hold off as long as I can on that >.< I have no reason to order polish since I have more polish than I could ever use in my life and even from my list of polishes I have / am not trading, there's probably upwards of 20-30 that I've never even used yet (sobs). 

Anyway, I've also decided to take the MCATs on April 19th which is a huge commitment. Just to give y'all an idea of how scary that is, the org that puts together the test released a 128 page document describing the content on the test. Not a study guide -- this just describes the content <_> And the test is just over 7 hours long. HAHAHAHHA. This is torture. But I really want to do it and I've been and kept putting it off and I just gotta get it done. It's 99 days as of today and I have so much to review and brush up on again, but I'm feeling confident thanks to @'s good vibes  :wub:  (whose letter I still have to finish writing too...fff)

Technically 100 days from Jan 1 is something like April 10th, but since I screwed up and I really need to concentrate, I'll probably let it go until April 19th and then make a huge purchase to treat myself. Until then, I can only buy clothes and use what I have, or buy stuff if it runs out (like concealer...need more, probably). 

Speaking of which, I've decided to go on a strict skincare regiment to use up some full sizes. My skin has always been really awful (cystic acne...I'm 25 ): so many scars). Purity + Origins white tea with SPF for day cream + Kiehls for night + various masks every 2-3 days. I think it's definitely helped my skin a lot. Let's see if there are any more cysts popping up the next few weeks (my skin is so bad I can almost never tell if it's a product making it worse or if it's just being as bad as it is normally. but it's been healing a bit recently).

I hope you ladies are all staying strong! I haven't put on much eye makeup recently... so tired, so I probably need it.

Sephora sent me an email of temptation (after I even called their customer service and had them deactivate my email) but I told myself they will still be around after April 10, and April 10 is not really far away at all. You will not get me Sephora!

Latest posts

Back