100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@@Jenn10 thank you! That's a good idea.  I think as long I watch what I am spending and meet some savings goals I won't get too out of control.  Just trying to be conscious of not replacing one bad habit with another!
Yes, this can be dangerous! I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen with me either! I'm keeping track of all my spending in a notebook, regardless of whether it's gas or makeup. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's helping because if I want to buy something, even if I don't come post about it here because it's irrelevant (like car insurance) I know I'll still have to enter it into my notebook. Love it!

I wrote out my goals for the next 10 days. The weak areas will be my sister's Mon-Wed visits. I had a difficult year last year with illnesses etc. and need to get back into shape. I know she will have comments about me exercising which will be hard to deal with. I'm going to put together a pampering kit for those moments.
Oh, I hope her comments aren't too nasty. I think it's awesome that you're going to try getting back into shape. Me too- I was going to run yesterday, but when I got home to go feed my cat and change into my workout clothes, my car got stuck in the mud and by the time I got it out I was just too tired and angry to do anything but binge-eat chocolate. So... obviously I need some work! I think I needed to eat a healthy afternoon snack to tide me over, and I didn't do that yesterday. Also, I just need to not let my moods rule my life!

I recommend quiche.  You can bake it one night (and it doesn't take very long if you get a pre-made pie crust), and have it for dinner.  Then it travels well for lunch the next few days, and can be eaten warm or cold, depending on your workplace situation.  It's great too because you can throw in pretty much any veg or meat you have lying around the house.
That is such good advice, thank you!

I feel my overall mood has improved since I got through the first ten days.

For example, during the first week of January, I tried to see the Exodus film and to go to a church I found and fell in love with over Christmas. I had panic attacks and was unable to do either of these things. I was so disappointed, especially about the church service - I sobbed my heart out on the way home in the car because I love the church so much.

But this past weekend I attended the church service and saw the film. No panic attacks. I thoroughly enjoyed my day. And my end of weekend blues were not as bad.

I think this is because I have less stress now that I am not overspending, and I have a plan in place for my life. This goes to show how much anxiety overspending can bring. In addition, I do not have anxiety from having too much beauty product clutter, because of all the organizing I have done.
I agree about my overall mood improving after I was successful in the first 10 days.

Also, I think it's so great that you found a church you love so much. Good going! I hope you feel like you're in a community there!

---

On a more somber note, did anyone participating feel like they were not successful in the first 10 days? If you feel this way, why? Is there anything we can do to help? Don't be too down on yourself, you still have a lot of other times to be successful! We love you ((hugs)) and we know it's hard. If you feel like you were not successful, don't let our excitement over our success make you feel any worse. You tried really hard, and you may have had some missteps, but you can absolutely get back on that horse. We're rooting for you!!!!

On a more somber note, did anyone participating feel like they were not successful in the first 10 days? If you feel this way, why? Is there anything we can do to help? Don't be too down on yourself, you still have a lot of other times to be successful! We love you ((hugs)) and we know it's hard. If you feel like you were not successful, don't let our excitement over our success make you feel any worse. You tried really hard, and you may have had some missteps, but you can absolutely get back on that horse. We're rooting for you!!!!
I was definitely not successful! For the first week of January, I was still at home and hadn't come back to my apartment at school yet. When I'm home, I am able to use the car, and I end up with a lot of free time to run errands. Big Lots, Ulta, Sephora, Nordstrom Rack, and drugstores are all within five minutes of my parents' house! Needless to say, I succumbed to a bit of temptation. I didn't spend too much, but like I have said in the no-buy threads before, I just have too much STUFF! I love makeup and beauty, but I feel like my life is being overrun by material things. My lipstick stash is too much for anyone to ever use up (probably have about 70, yet I bought several new lip products while I was home! So... I am going to do my very best to not buy anything from now on! I am a lot less tempted when I'm back in school.

Oh, I hope her comments aren't too nasty. I think it's awesome that you're going to try getting back into shape. Me too- I was going to run yesterday, but when I got home to go feed my cat and change into my workout clothes, my car got stuck in the mud and by the time I got it out I was just too tired and angry to do anything but binge-eat chocolate. So... obviously I need some work! I think I needed to eat a healthy afternoon snack to tide me over, and I didn't do that yesterday. Also, I just need to not let my moods rule my life!
I hope today was much better and you were able to run. Sometimes we hit those tough days.

My sister has been through difficult times and has been in counseling since November. She has a lot to work through which I try to remember when she makes comments. The ones that hurt the most are when she is wondering how I can go out in public and not worry or why my husband wants to be with me. Yes, I am 30 lbs overweight; but I am not going to hide in a closet for the rest of my life.

She goes home tomorrow which will be a long day because I have to attend to business there. I also need to spend an hour cleaning in the house. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't have a housekeeper and am not going to hire her one. I may need to hire someone to check in on her when I can't. I don't know. I want to talk to her counselor to get a feel, but need to find out how to do that. I sit and wait or go to the mall while she is in session.

I did receive confirmation that the 3 subs are cancelled. I feel bad about the one because I received my delayed order today which had extra product to make up for the delay.

HomeGrown Collective emailed me saying my account is cancelled and there will be no further charges. Petit Vour did too. Gourmet Body Treats was the easiest because it was PayPal. This is the one that had a delayed order. She sent a scrub and a soap to make up for the delay. I feel bad for cancelling, but I don't use the makeup part of the sub. I also love their mask, cleanser, and mositurizer so she will have my business for a long time to come.

I still think I need to cancel a few more subs. It is hard to decide which ones! I did resist ordering the newest Birch Box LE even though it offers brands I love.

I will be painting my fingernails tomorrow night. Overall, I feel as though I am a much better spot than last week. I do need to work on my inventory!!!

Quick question:  When people are posting their inventory counts and say I have 300, 122 etc how are you counting?  Is that you literally have 300 things of makeup (eye shadows, lipsticks etc)?  I am only asking cause, uh, my number is SIGNIFICANTLY higer than that.  And I did not count foils, or shower gels, or lotions or lots of other things.

I know it isn't a competition and we are not bragging but I am curious.  Thanks in advance!

Quick question:  When people are posting their inventory counts and say I have 300, 122 etc how are you counting?  Is that you literally have 300 things of makeup (eye shadows, lipsticks etc)?  I am only asking cause, uh, my number is SIGNIFICANTLY higer than that.  And I did not count foils, or shower gels, or lotions or lots of other things.

I know it isn't a competition and we are not bragging but I am curious.  Thanks in advance!
Lovepink, I JUST did inventory, so for me, I picked up one item and counted it as one.  One tube of lipstick, plus one lipstick sample, plus one lipgloss would be 3 items.  Other people may do it differently (i.e. counting an entire palette as one thing, counting samples as a half an item, or not counting them at all, etc.)

I counted each item as a thing. Sample/mini/full size all were one thing each. I did keep a tally of individual eyeshadows (including those in palettes) and of palettes as well, just to get a handle on what form most of my eyeshadows were in.  The only place I distinguished between samples and full size is perfume, because those are very different in my eyes. But it's whatever works best for you!  You get to make your own rules :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I counted everything. Foils, full size, whatever, it all counts as one. An 8-pan palette counts as 8. My total is just under 1000. I'm CERTAIN that if I'd done this two years ago, or even last year (before I paid attention to GWPs, before I read MUT, before I subscribed to any monthly boxes, when I just bought exactly what I needed, one at a time), my number would have under 100. It used to boggle my mind that people would have more than one mascara, ever. Like, why would you buy one if you already have one? (Me, now: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

Just depends on how you shop, and how long you've let things pile up. 

Lovepink, I JUST did inventory, so for me, I picked up one item and counted it as one.  One tube of lipstick, plus one lipstick sample, plus one lipgloss would be 3 items.  Other people may do it differently (i.e. counting an entire palette as one thing, counting samples as a half an item, or not counting them at all, etc.)
Thank you!  That is what I did an eyeliner was one thing, a mascara one thing, palette one thing, single eye shadow one thing.  I plan on using foils and one time use samples so no inventory of them (for me that is)

I counted each item as a thing. Sample/mini/full size all were one thing each. I did keep a tally of individual eyeshadows (including those in palettes) and of palettes as well, just to get a handle on what form most of my eyeshadows were in.  The only place I distinguished between samples and full size is perfume, because those are very different in my eyes. But it's whatever works best for you!  You get to make your own rules :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thank you!  I appreciate everyone's answers, candidness and lack of judgement!

I counted everything. Foils, full size, whatever, it all counts as one. An 8-pan palette counts as 8. My total is just under 1000. I'm CERTAIN that if I'd done this two years ago, or even last year (before I paid attention to GWPs, before I read MUT, before I subscribed to any monthly boxes, when I just bought exactly what I needed, one at a time), my number would have under 100. It used to boggle my mind that people would have more than one mascara, ever. Like, why would you buy one if you already have one? (Me, now: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

Just depends on how you shop, and how long you've let things pile up. 
Oh wow.  if I counted palettes with as many shadows or things they had in there I am scared of how big that numbe rwould be!  Now that you all have shared your number I will share mine (ball park isn as it is in an excel document and there are headers and spaces, I am sure someone with excel skills could skool me in how to not count those spaces (1477) I do have quite a few indie shadows in baggies and those got counted as one thing.

Full disclosure:  this does not count the stack of palettes sitting on my dresser (unused) which numbers 12.

Whew confession time over!    Thanks for the ears and eyes ladies! 

Thank you!  That is what I did an eyeliner was one thing, a mascara one thing, palette one thing, single eye shadow one thing.  I plan on using foils and one time use samples so no inventory of them (for me that is)

Oh wow.  if I counted palettes with as many shadows or things they had in there I am scared of how big that numbe rwould be!  Now that you all have shared your number I will share mine (ball park isn as it is in an excel document and there are headers and spaces, I am sure someone with excel skills could skool me in how to not count those spaces (1477) I do have quite a few indie shadows in baggies and those got counted as one thing.

Full disclosure:  this does not count the stack of palettes sitting on my dresser (unused) which numbers 12.

Those sample baggies pile up SO FAST! I've only made like 4 indie orders, and have about 80 baggies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the magical combination is about this no buy for me is, but I feel I've been more successful and not wanting to buy as much with this one as I have with others I've tried to do in the past. Maybe it's the added factor of it being January and trying to have "resolutions" and goals for the new year. Maybe it's that it's been broken down into 10 day segments. Maybe it's that I can see how much stuff I have, and it's starting to dawn on me that just buying everything is not fun anymore. Or maybe it's because of the goals and rules I've put in place for myself make it so much more manageable. Or a combination of them all.

I've let myself be allowed to buy limited edition stuff, and anything that is permanent I add to an Elfster wishlist. I have another exchange I'm doing, so my person can buy for me anything on the list, or it also keeps track for me when the 100 days are over. I love the added 10 day goals, it just breaks it up into an easier to keep track of time period that accounts me for my rules, but also gives me a chance to get my stuff organized and toss stuff I don't want. I just wanted to say I'm finding the layout of this low buy for me, much less painless than others in the past.

Quick question: When people are posting their inventory counts and say I have 300, 122 etc how are you counting? Is that you literally have 300 things of makeup (eye shadows, lipsticks etc)? I am only asking cause, uh, my number is SIGNIFICANTLY higer than that. And I did not count foils, or shower gels, or lotions or lots of other things.
I don't count most of mine.  I have a ton of skincare, bath/body stuff, and hair stuff.  I have an entire Birchbox full of eyeliner pencils.  I think I would be depressed to know how much is in there.

Every now and then I count an individual item (say, mascaras, of which I have 35 either deluxe samples or full sized products, no joke, though some are duplicates).  I have a rough idea on lipsticks because I keep them in organizers (so, somewhere upwards of 120 because a few slots have two products jammed into them).  And my nail polish racks hold about 60 bottles each, although Juleps have a smaller footprint so I can cram more in there (I have 3 nail polish racks right now).

There is no way I would start an inventory.  It took me 3 or 4 hours to sort my stash in December.  And that was just grouping like items together and putting them in the same shoebox/plastic storage container/Birchbox/whatever.  It would take me weeks to type everything.

So, no counting for me -- it's too depressing (I've only been buying makeup and skincare for about a year so I accumulated a lot of stuff REALLY fast).  But, it's kind of fun when I use something up because I can go directly to the labeled box/drawer and pull out another item of the same type.  Maybe even something I didn't remember that I had in the first place.

Ok...self confessed excel nerd here.  :rolleyes:  What can I say...I love excel. Although I do remember back in the day when we used Lotus 123 (anyone here old enough to remember that?) kicking and screaming when we upgraded. Anyway...I digress.

To count only the items in a column (or row, range, whatever), enter this where you want your total to appear: =COUNTA(your range goes here, for instance A2:A200 assuming you have a header in A1 that you don't want to count.)  If you have headers say at cells A1, A6 and A100, your formula would look like this: =COUNTA(A2:A5,A7:A99,A101:A200). Blank spaces won't be counted.

And thus ends your excel lesson for today!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok...self confessed excel nerd here.  :rolleyes:  What can I say...I love excel. Although I do remember back in the day when we used Lotus 123 (anyone here old enough to remember that?) kicking and screaming when we upgraded. Anyway...I digress.

To count only the items in a column (or row, range, whatever), enter this where you want your total to appear: =COUNTA(your range goes here, for instance A2:A200 assuming you have a header in A1 that you don't want to count.)  If you have headers say at cells A1, A6 and A100, your formula would look like this: =COUNTA(A2:A5,A7:A99,A101:A200). Blank spaces won't be counted.

And thus ends your excel lesson for today!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks!   I will do this tonight.  I was going to tag you last night but sometimes when you are tagging you have to have the exact spelling of the user name and I could not remember and was too lazy to look!

@@SneakyBurrito I'm with you, I don't count my items to avoid feeling totally overwhelmed and depressed. I sorted them into types, and the sight of each pile gave my stomach enough flips without counting.

Everyone tends to find what works best, and being the nosy person that I am, I do like seeing other people's numbers :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

ETA: Corrected accidental Yoda text

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone tends to find what works best, and being the nosy person that I am, I do like seeing other people's numbers :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I should've taken a photo.  When I was sorting, I wrote item types on pieces of 8.5 by 11 paper.  So, "eye cream," "moisturizer," "eyeliner pencil," "SPF products for face," "makeup remover wipes," "highlighter," etc.  (I didn't do this with lippies and nail polishes because they already had their own racks.  And I didn't do it with perfume because that's fairly well organized already, too.  It's amazing what you can fit into a tiny bathroom, by the way, if you put your mind to it.)  I think I ended up with about 50 different sheets of paper.  Then I grouped like items together.  It pretty much took up my entire living room floor.

I almost succumbed to an order at Nordstrom. I justified that it would be no money out of pocket for me since I have Nordstrom notes available. And the two items that I wanted are LE. But, they will be back net year (I'd guess...it was two of Philosophy's seasonal scents). And I do still have a bunch of other body washes to plow through. It was tough closing out that window though.

I almost succumbed to an order at Nordstrom. I justified that it would be no money out of pocket for me since I have Nordstrom notes available. And the two items that I wanted are LE. But, they will be back net year (I'd guess...it was two of Philosophy's seasonal scents). And I do still have a bunch of other body washes to plow through. It was tough closing out that window though.
Good for you!!!  Those notes can suck you in. 

@@SneakyBurrito I'm with you, I don't count my items to avoid feeling totally overwhelmed and depressed. I sorted them into types, and the sight of each pile gave my stomach enough flips without counting.

ETA: Corrected accidental Yoda text
Yup, same here. I know if I counted, it would just depress me, and it would just be a vicious cycle. Instead, I will concentrate on using things up and not buying :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This-although this is funny-this is what I want to get away from. I want to be honest with my hubby about my purchases so when we do combine finances, there are no shocks! image.jpg

Latest posts

Back