100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am posting on the 100 empties in 100 days thread, but I'm sure I won't get to 100 and it won't even bother me. My goal is to simply use up as much as I can. This goal helps me to move out products before they go bad and also to reduce clutter. Don't put yourself under so much stress and pressure. This is all about changing to a more positive mindset. Give yourself permission to relax and continue your awesome progress! You are doing great!
Thanks for the encouragement! I do need to work on my mindset on the empties front. I appreciate the length of the 100 days, because it gives me a chance to finish products that I could never finish in 10 days.  Progress is progress, even if the bottle isn't empty, and I need to remember that!

Speaking of progress, I purged a mascara and an eyeliner, but it's because I developed a sty in my eye last night! The mascara had been sitting open for at least 6 months, and the eyeliner had glitter in it. I had just started using them both in the past week, so I figure one of them is the culprit (I've never had a sty before.)  I'm calling them empties, not thrown away, because I had every intention to finish them, and it's out of my control that I didn't. (This also helps on the stress front.)

@@lovepink I love barre classes! I'm so excited for mine to start up again next month. We had 2 months off for the holidays, so it's going to HURT once they get going again. I'm always surprised how much little movements that don't seem bad if you do them once suddenly become crazy painful when you repeat them 100 times!  I swear there's some sort of stockholm syndrome thing going on, because they hurt so much (and for days after) but I keep going back!

Barre classes have transformed my body like nothing else I've taken, and I've tried a ton of classes. My husband even mentioned my curves have been rockin   :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

@@lovepink I love barre classes! I'm so excited for mine to start up again next month. We had 2 months off for the holidays, so it's going to HURT once they get going again. I'm always surprised how much little movements that don't seem bad if you do them once suddenly become crazy painful when you repeat them 100 times!  I swear there's some sort of stockholm syndrome thing going on, because they hurt so much (and for days after) but I keep going back!

Barre classes have transformed my body like nothing else I've taken, and I've tried a ton of classes. My husband even mentioned my curves have been rockin   :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
This is seriously the best summary ever!  When I described the class to someone I said "imagine if yoga, pilates and balle had a baby!"

The first class we took was free and the studio has a 3 classes for $20 so I am definitely going to do that!  After that it gets crazy expensive (and I already pay for a gym membership) but I am going to enjoy those classes while I can!

I was suprised how much my abs hurt!  I have been running, spinning, did barre this week so my legs are hurting!  Tonight I am going to lift on my arms!

Enjoy your classes when they start up and keep up the good work!

Thanks for the encouragement! I do need to work on my mindset on the empties front. I appreciate the length of the 100 days, because it gives me a chance to finish products that I could never finish in 10 days.  Progress is progress, even if the bottle isn't empty, and I need to remember that!

Speaking of progress, I purged a mascara and an eyeliner, but it's because I developed a sty in my eye last night! The mascara had been sitting open for at least 6 months, and the eyeliner had glitter in it. I had just started using them both in the past week, so I figure one of them is the culprit (I've never had a sty before.)  I'm calling them empties, not thrown away, because I had every intention to finish them, and it's out of my control that I didn't. (This also helps on the stress front.)
My advice to you is toss and replace your mascara, eye lash primer, and liquid eyeliner every three months.  Also, toss these items immediately if you have an eye infection and open fresh products after the infection is gone.  It seems as though there's a bit of conflicting information out there on how often to replace these things but I think eyes are awfully important so I'd rather be cautious.  Besides, I'd rather have a fresh tube of mascara every 90 days than have waste my time in a doctor's office getting my eyes checked then have to go out and buy prescription eye drops (or similar) afterwards - especially since all this expense, discomfort, and hassle can be easily prevented.  

I consider tossing and replacing my mascara, lash primer, and liquid eyeliner 'empties' after they are three months old.  To me, this habit seems responsible not wasteful.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is seriously the best summary ever!  When I described the class to someone I said "imagine if yoga, pilates and balle had a baby!"

The first class we took was free and the studio has a 3 classes for $20 so I am definitely going to do that!  After that it gets crazy expensive (and I already pay for a gym membership) but I am going to enjoy those classes while I can!

I was suprised how much my abs hurt!  I have been running, spinning, did barre this week so my legs are hurting!  Tonight I am going to lift on my arms!

Enjoy your classes when they start up and keep up the good work!
You are going to be a bada** !!! B)   Good for you. I've been slacking in the running department due to lots of work required of me lately, and my knees were hurting so I didn't want to cause an injury. Gotta pick this back up!!!

I did salsa classes on Saturday and that was pretty fun, but it's no zumba! I'm going to start zumba up again soon, I think. That or join a gym which has zumba classes..... hard to decide! I had been running at the neighborhood park at night, which is good, but I don't know if I'll continue it...

My advice to you is toss and replace your mascara, eye lash primer, and liquid eyeliner every three months.  Also, toss these items immediately if you have an eye infection and open fresh products after the infection is gone.  It seems as though there's a bit of conflicting information out there on how often to replace these things but I think eyes are awfully important so I'd rather be cautious.  Besides, I'd rather have a fresh tube of mascara every 90 days than have waste my time in a doctor's office getting my eyes checked then have to go out and buy prescription eye drops (or similar) afterwards - especially since all this expense, discomfort, and hassle can be easily prevented.  

I consider tossing and replacing my mascara, lash primer, and liquid eyeliner 'empties' after they are three months old.  To me, this habit seems responsible not wasteful.
I completely agree. I try to sharpen my eyeliner pencil every other time I use it- it'd be better to do it every time, but I'm kind of lazy, that way you don't have to throw that out every 3 months like the liquid one. I used to be really good about throwing out my mascara after 3 months, but the last mascara I had I used it for way too long becuase it was really expensive and it was stated that it didn't dry out like other mascaras, so I was kind of pushing it. Glad I finally took the plunge. I won't do that again. Styes are scary!

Does anyone know what happened to the Days 20-30 No Buy Challenge thread? I can't seem to access it.
I'm really sorry you ladies had all your goals typed up only to have it disappear. I hope you all remember your goals! I hadn't written mine yet... haha, I'm so late to this session.

@@annatomical You are 100% right! I used to be good at it, but I slid in the past few years. I already have a date written on my new mascara in sharpie so I know when I have to throw it out!
Good idea. I write down when I start using a product on the bottom, sometimes covering it with a piece of clear tape so it wont wipe off. Mascara can be hard because tubes tend to be dark, but you could use a white label for that, covered in clear tape so the date won't rub off.

Guys... it turns out I could not return my roller ball that I slipped up on last 10 days (during the 11-20 day session.) So here's what's up:

~~~ I'm going to not get my $10 10-day reward for that session, but I'm not going to say I failed the whole challenge, because to offset the fact that I cannot return it, I'm going to sell some things on ebay to make up for it. The rollerball was $6.99 so I need to sell $15 on ebay to make up for it and still call this no-buy a success.~~~

Hope everyone is doing well!!!!

@@eastofthesun Good plan! That is exactly why I did my $10 rewards like that. I could slip up and lose my $10 for those ten days, but not fail the whole challenge. You are doing so great!! Keep it up!

Confession time (I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread) details spoilered below.  

I purchased a hand lotion I love at the only local store I know that sells it. And by local I mean within 50 miles. This is relevant because this is the last week the store is in business and everything is 60% off. I am out of hand lotions, so this is technically a replacement, but I do have a bunch of other body lotions I could have used as hand lotion.

I'm allowing this purchase to be okay, but not something to be encouraged. I knew this sale was coming last year, and should have either made an allowance for it or clearly said it wasn't allowed in my rules. I just didn't remember it was coming when I wrote my rules, nor did I remember the no-buy when I bought the lotion.

As penance, I'm going to take the cost of the lotion, $18, from my allowed $100 splurge for my birthday. I'm also going to leave the lotion in the guest bathroom. I can use it whenever I want, but others also can get use out of it. I have been wanting to work on making that room more welcoming, and this will help.  If I do this successfully, I'm not going to count the no buy as broken.  Because it was a purchase planned a month in advance, and I only bought one (as opposed to the remaining 3 bottles I probably would have bought before the change in mindset from the no-buy) I think I still did okay.  

Any opinions? I'd love some tough love, honest advice, even if you disagree with my assessment and think that I should say I failed at the first half (I'm doing big rewards every 50 days).  

Summary: I think I broke the spirit of the rules, but not the letter of the law. Not calling it a win, nor a loss, but would love some advice.

ETA: Moar penance!!!!  

@@Suzaqu I think the restrictions you set for yourself on the lotion are just fine!  There are going to be times when an unexpected "good deal" pops up, and as long as you're reacting in a logical way (waited awhile to buy it, you know you're going to have to drive much farther/order it online now, it was a great sale price, you're out of that type of lotion), and not just reacting (LOTION! BUY NOW! BUY ALL THREE!)  then you're fine!  It sounds like you're doing a great job of retraining your buying habits, that's so awesome!

I'd go with technically a replacement. Hand lotions are not the same as body lotions, most are formulated to be more moisturizing and less greasy than body lotion. Better to get a true hand lotion and not have greasy grimy fingers all day.

I've bought a pump dispenser for my toner from Target (necessity not a no-buy break) and 3 scoops o' sexy when it came back into Sephora's sale section. So under $30 this month.This is a huge improvement and I'm happy with it.

@@eastofthesun Good plan! That is exactly why I did my $10 rewards like that. I could slip up and lose my $10 for those ten days, but not fail the whole challenge. You are doing so great!! Keep it up!
Thanks. I'm not sure what to do with  my signature now, though. I was keeping my last beauty purchase listed there, and I'm not sure if I should list this one or not... What do you ladies think? I mean, on the one hand I want to list it, but then I also don't want to say I broke my 100-day no buy, I just want to make up for it... and that is in my rules as Ok to do. But... I don't know!!! I need advice!

I'd go with technically a replacement. Hand lotions are not the same as body lotions, most are formulated to be more moisturizing and less greasy than body lotion. Better to get a true hand lotion and not have greasy grimy fingers all day.

I've bought a pump dispenser for my toner from Target (necessity not a no-buy break) and 3 scoops o' sexy when it came back into Sephora's sale section. So under $30 this month.This is a huge improvement and I'm happy with it.
I agree with the replacement. Not only was it her favorite hand lotion, it was on sale and going out of stock, and she needed it. Body lotion could have cut it in a pinch, but it isn't the right formula, especially in the winter when it's really important to keep your hands moisturized. Personally, I think @@Suzaqu you should just take the $18 out of your birthday fund, use the hand cream, put one of the body lotions in the guest bathroom, and call it a close call, but still on top! The point is, you're scrutinizing your purchases, and I think you're doing really good here.

In other news, I'm doing pretty good. Way too busy to be purchasing anything, much less thinking about it. This leg of the run is going fast for me, I don't know about you ladies. But I haven't exercised and I still haven't gotten up my goals for this leg. I really want to set out my goals and be good on this one.

Thanks. I'm not sure what to do with  my signature now, though. I was keeping my last beauty purchase listed there, and I'm not sure if I should list this one or not... What do you ladies think? I mean, on the one hand I want to list it, but then I also don't want to say I broke my 100-day no buy, I just want to make up for it... and that is in my rules as Ok to do. But... I don't know!!! I need advice!
Maybe give yourself a certain amount of time to make up for it? (You're going to be selling things to make up the $ spent, right?)  So as long as you can make that money back by, say, Valentine's Day, you don't have to list it in your signature.   But if you can't get anything sold to make that $ back, then into your signature it goes!

But yeah that is a challenge! Good luck figuring out how you want to handle it!

Rawr wrong thread!  Lol it was bound to happen sometime.  Carry on!  :blush:

Back