100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was not a good day for no buy. I have a new rule for me. Stay away from the computer when dealing with my sister!!!

My husband went to look at the property. He has dumped it all back in my lap again. I'm trying to persuade her to apply for health insurance so she can go in for a complete check up.  She is experiencing short term memory loss. It's been a difficult day. I can't keep spending this much time on her. I need to worry about college visits, business pitches, and a bunch of other things.

I'm disappointed in myself. Monday is going to be a long day with her. I have to drive out to her. work on the house she is living in, business out that way too, and then back where I live and her appointments. The following week is a business conference so I do get a break. I keep reminding myself of that.

@@PA Anna that sounds like a good rule!  Good luck on getting everything cleaned out, I know getting things organized around someone with hoarding tendencies is even more of a headache than usual.  You also might want to look into getting a temporary medical Power of Attorney for her, especially if she's experiencing memory loss.  That way you could get the ball rolling on insurance for her.  And if you can make decisions, that gives you time to make them and move on rather than constantly trying to persuade her into doing things that she either is resistant to or forgets about immediately.

(Of course, I have no idea of the particulars of your situation, so that may not be the best option, just a thought!)

Either way, lots of virtual hugs from us to get through this next week until you can get a break for your business conference!   :hugs3:

@ You sound like you give extremely good advice. You should be a therapist!!!

@@PA Anna What color did you paint them? I painted mine today too! My Dad got me 2 Butter London nail polishes on sale at the Navy Base for my birthday and I painted them a multi-color glitter. It's not something I'd normally wear, but it's a fun thing to do every once in a while.

@@eastofthesun Happy Birthday! Multi-color glitter sounds fun :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I received Square Hue passeig de gracia in my Jan GoodeBox. It's a deep dark purple. My teenage son asked if I was going for the goth look LOL. I like it, but I don't know if I will use it on my fingernails again because it seems to bring out a pink hue in my hands.

@@PA Anna Hey! I'm loving the glitter so much, and am also excited because I know glitter polish takes forever to chip, so I can wear it a long time! But I'm going to try hard not to let that keep me from changing my polish. I want to do it 2 times a week minimum- if I can!

I also have that problem of nail polish colors bringing out the red in my hands. It's so annoying!

I want to do it 2 times a week minimum- if I can!
This is one area where I'm doing well.  I decided I needed to use up my duplicate polishes (I bought too many Julep mystery boxes last year).  Unfortunately they're all weird colors like brown and yellow.  And one bubblegum-pink Essie that I have two of.  And I have entirely too much oxblood polish (including two Julep Mary Lees).  Today I am wearing a combination of yellow and green nail polish (yellow on three fingers, different greens on two others).  It's probably not the best color combination for my complexion but oh well.

Anyway, I set aside two days per week.  I do my nails on Sunday afternoon and on Tuesday evening.  At least once a week, I try to do a few nails in one of my duplicate colors.  It forces me to be creative.  But I'm using more of my collection that way.  I don't think I'll finish all my duplicates in 100 days, but I do think I'll finish them this year (and I'll be faster once I can wear toenail polish again, but I'm waiting for toenail damage from an injury to grow out first and that could take awhile).

@@SneakyBurrito I hope your foot injury heals quickly so you can really get through those polishes! 

Good luck on using up your duplicates! 

I'm going to try to do my nails Sundays and... maybe Wednesday? I'm not sure yet. Actually, I'm going to make myself a beauty schedule to post up on my door where I can check off things.... getting it ready will be my goal for days 21-30.

I'm going to try to do my nails Sundays and... maybe Wednesday? I'm not sure yet. Actually, I'm going to make myself a beauty schedule to post up on my door where I can check off things.... getting it ready will be my goal for days 21-30.
Please post your beauty schedule if you want. I was obsessed with beauty schedules when I was younger. Remember when beauty books had them? I used to go to the library and read the vintage beauty books from the 60s. The Dewey Decimal number for beauty books is 646, in case anyone is planning a trip to the library soon. 

When I was at the university the library had Vogue, Harpers Bazaar, Seventeen, etc, in bound volumes going back to the 1940s. This was heaven. When everyone else was at football games, I spent hours, days .... oh I love 60s Vogue! And the cosmetics ads in those days were great! They even had 70s French fashion magazines. 

I had a sad weekend with a family member sick - they type who will not let you help and does not like being asked if they feel better. I would rather be sick than watch a family member be sick, any day. 

So I ended up in Walgreen - and feeling sad, wanted to buy a new makeup item I saw, under spoiler.

New Rimmel Mascara designed by Kate Moss, as if I need it.

And the shelves were loaded with Valentines candy and stuffed animals and I felt sorry for myself and I wanted to BUY. I still do. But I only bought three Russell Stover chocolate hearts that were two for $1. They were good. Cutting back on my food is not part of my no buy. Because I would not make it! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Please post your beauty schedule if you want. I was obsessed with beauty schedules when I was younger. Remember when beauty books had them? I used to go to the library and read the vintage beauty books from the 60s. The Dewey Decimal number for beauty books is 646, in case anyone is planning a trip to the library soon. 

When I was at the university the library had Vogue, Harpers Bazaar, Seventeen, etc, in bound volumes going back to the 1940s. This was heaven. When everyone else was at football games, I spent hours, days .... oh I love 60s Vogue! And the cosmetics ads in those days were great! They even had 70s French fashion magazines. 
      Are you my physic twin? I used to do the same exact thing, and I still love to pore over old beauty magazines and books. If i were rich I would have Vogue All-Access Archives, it has every single issue of US Vogue ever published for viewing online for a huge honking annual fee. I also love old pin-ups and cheesecake photos. Especially anything Bettie Page.

@@eastofthesun I did not know that glitter polish takes longer to chip.

@@SneakyBurrito I hope your foot heals quickly.

@@EdithS2 I need to check out beauty books. You did a great job resisting temptation.

I haven't bought anything while my sister has been here.

It's been tempting. I was in the store with her and there were a couple of organic beauty gift baskets 50% off. BirchBox has coupons. Even right now it's a temptation because she is very unahppy and is not shy in letting us know. I drop her off tomorrow and then have a break from this situation next week.

I looked at the calendar and noticed that for days 21-30 there aren't any sister appointments or visits. I do have to drive her home tomorrow morning and do a few things, but after that there is a break. Also conference time next week!

I don't know where else to post this. My sister has become obsessed with LLB. I had to buy food for her again and will probably have to replace her snow boots and all she can talk about is LLB and how she wants it. I have no clue on how to deal with this. She has a couple inexpensive subs and receives everything I can't use. It's not like she is going without. Her newest plan is to spend her income tax return on a year sub to LLB. She needs to buy food etc., not do that. I have no clue how to handle this. Anyone deal with someone obesessing about subs or wanting your stuff? I hate bringing it up because I don't want it to be taken the wrong way, but it is an unhealthy obsession when her basic needs are being met by me. 

I had a sad weekend with a family member sick - they type who will not let you help and does not like being asked if they feel better. I would rather be sick than watch a family member be sick, any day. 

So I ended up in Walgreen - and feeling sad, wanted to buy a new makeup item I saw, under spoiler.

New Rimmel Mascara designed by Kate Moss, as if I need it.

And the shelves were loaded with Valentines candy and stuffed animals and I felt sorry for myself and I wanted to BUY. I still do. But I only bought three Russell Stover chocolate hearts that were two for $1. They were good. Cutting back on my food is not part of my no buy. Because I would not make it! 
Hi, I loved reading your post! You have some awesome interests! Haha, I totally adore the fact that you knew the Dewy Decimal number for Beauty.... you are awesome! I wish I had that memorized! I love hanging in the library. So I went to the library yesterday hoping to put a book on hold, but my card has expired and I couldn't renew it because I didn't have proof of my new address yet. Eugh, so I'll try to go by there tonight. Picked up a bunch of free magazines that I'm using for my style journal to find my personal style.

Dang the Valentine's Day candy- I want to buy all of it.

Are you my physic twin? I used to do the same exact thing, and I still love to pore over old beauty magazines and books. If i were rich I would have Vogue All-Access Archives, it has every single issue of US Vogue ever published for viewing online for a huge honking annual fee. I also love old pin-ups and cheesecake photos. Especially anything Bettie Page.
Awesome! You two are like peas in a pod! Love both of your interests and styles!

@@eastofthesun I did not know that glitter polish takes longer to chip.

@@SneakyBurrito I hope your foot heals quickly.

@@EdithS2 I need to check out beauty books. You did a great job resisting temptation.

I haven't bought anything while my sister has been here.

It's been tempting. I was in the store with her and there were a couple of organic beauty gift baskets 50% off. BirchBox has coupons. Even right now it's a temptation because she is very unahppy and is not shy in letting us know. I drop her off tomorrow and then have a break from this situation next week.

I looked at the calendar and noticed that for days 21-30 there aren't any sister appointments or visits. I do have to drive her home tomorrow morning and do a few things, but after that there is a break. Also conference time next week!

I don't know where else to post this. My sister has become obsessed with LLB. I had to buy food for her again and will probably have to replace her snow boots and all she can talk about is LLB and how she wants it. I have no clue on how to deal with this. She has a couple inexpensive subs and receives everything I can't use. It's not like she is going without. Her newest plan is to spend her income tax return on a year sub to LLB. She needs to buy food etc., not do that. I have no clue how to handle this. Anyone deal with someone obesessing about subs or wanting your stuff? I hate bringing it up because I don't want it to be taken the wrong way, but it is an unhealthy obsession when her basic needs are being met by me. 
I'm not sure what to tell you about the obsession of your sister's. It's got to be hard to control someone's money. Are you in charge of her money? She should cancel her inexpensive subs and use that money to get the LLB. Otherwise, you'll have to tell her tough. Or take her some ramen noodles and say, ok, if you want to get the LLB you'll have to eat this for every meal for a year.

So today I had my physical at the Dr.  My weight from when I was there last year (1/25/14) to today was a difference of 21.21 lbs!  My Dr also checked my blood and my cholesterol was down 32 points!  She states it is due to eating better and working out!

I also went to a Barre class tonight and am going to be verrrrry sore tomorrow!

On two different nights I had dreams about the no buy. 

I think this is an excellent sign, showing that my brain is rehearsing and learning this behavior. 

In the first dream, I was in a large, beautiful, bright department store (you know how they look so good, with the lighting), and I wanted to buy:

An Estee Lauder GWP. You could choose a pastel pink or pastel blue makeup bag. 

I resisted buying that in the dream.

Then last night, I dreamed I was at Walgreen as I ran totally out of shampoo and conditioner. So this was a permitted replacement. I looked for a long time to make the right purchase. I ended up with large bottles of pink shampoo that were on sale for 79 cents and would last six months. 

But then at check out, I also had a Valentine mug, stuffed animal, a whole bunch of stuff, and the total was $20. I told the cashier I did not have enough money, and needed to cancel some items. I had to cancel each individually on the debit card screen with the stylus by clicking in a circle, and it was not working. 

Then I was outside and crying and a family member was angry with me. And I was so distressed, thinking I was going to have to come on these boards and confess I'd cheated on the no buy. It was an awful feeling. This reflects my anxiety about money in general right now. This no buy is helping with that anxiety, and I don't want to let go on it! 

On two different nights I had dreams about the no buy. 

I think this is an excellent sign, showing that my brain is rehearsing and learning this behavior. 
I'm so glad someone else is having no-buy dreams! Mine was definitely more on the nightmare side.

I dreamed that I found a closet full of lotions that more than doubled my stash. I was so depressed that I wouldn't be able to use them up before the end of the 100 days that I started sobbing (in my dream) and then woke up.  

Clearly my hoarding is stressing me out, but I think i also need to put a little less pressure on myself to use stuff up. I met my goal of 10 empties for the last 10-day segment, but it was hard and felt like a ton of pressure.

Clearly my hoarding is stressing me out, but I think i also need to put a little less pressure on myself to use stuff up. I met my goal of 10 empties for the last 10-day segment, but it was hard and felt like a ton of pressure.
I am posting on the 100 empties in 100 days thread, but I'm sure I won't get to 100 and it won't even bother me. My goal is to simply use up as much as I can. This goal helps me to move out products before they go bad and also to reduce clutter. Don't put yourself under so much stress and pressure. This is all about changing to a more positive mindset. Give yourself permission to relax and continue your awesome progress! You are doing great!

@@eastofthesun I do not have control over her money. The suggestions sounds great. It's awkward thing to ask because I enjoy talking about subs and what are in them. I can come across as being obsessed too, but I can afford them and food.

I'm mostly annoyed that it is the topic of every conversation and I did end up buying her winter boots on clearance. It's frustrating to me because I see how much she needs to do things such as being able to buy food etc.

Thank you everyone for listening and being supportive. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  It was a rough start of the year and everyone's encouraging words helped.

I need to be sharp and focused today. I had a vivid dream right before I woke up and it is throwing me off my whole day. I summarized it in a couple of sentences under the spoiler because it is depressing.

I dreamt my mom died. She did die irl (in real life) over 17 years ago. It seem so real in my dream and I was mourning for her. So real.

Quick question:  When people are posting their inventory counts and say I have 300, 122 etc how are you counting?  Is that you literally have 300 things of makeup (eye shadows, lipsticks etc)?  I am only asking cause, uh, my number is SIGNIFICANTLY higer than that.  And I did not count foils, or shower gels, or lotions or lots of other things.

I know it isn't a competition and we are not bragging but I am curious.  Thanks in advance!
I count everything. it's certainly not a competition, so don't worry, no one feels that way. For me the reason of counting everything, foils included, is that I am a slowpoke at finishing things up...even the sample sizes. My eyeshadows in particularly I counted individually, even if they were in palettes. It's easy for me to deceive myself into thinking " the naked palette is ONE palette, not 12 shaddows!" but it IS 12 shadows and those suckers are almost full size shadows (1.3g vs. 1.5g from the singles), so to me, they're individual shades.

the numbers look significantly larger but at the same time also more realistic...i can finish ONE eyeshadow in a year, I can't finish 12 in a year...so to count the naked palette as 1 item is kind of unfair to me and setting me up for failure as I project pan my stash, if that makes sense.  That said, this is what worked for me! Your stash, your rules :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> if it gives you severe anxiety to count, then just don't. Group them like @@SneakyBurrito did to get a sense of how much you have, and then maybe take a photo of each category. then you can compare the photo to a new one at the end of the year...see if they got bigger or smaller. 

Latest posts

Back