30 Inspirations Nail Art Challenge 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Set 2, inspiration #1

Used a Nails Inc. mini that I'm not sure has a name and Julep Max.

image.jpg

Not to rush anyone, but we're about to head out on vacation, and I'm not sure what kind of computer access we'll have. Here's a closer look and an explanation of inspiration image #8:

image.jpg

I didn't have any really "inspirational" manis to post, and thought it would be fun to challenge our creativity. My husband is an artist, this was drawn on the iPad using the Paper by 53 app. I was looking for interesting colors and textures to see where we all can go with it! I decided to try a watercolor mani. It didn't exactly turn out the way I had it in my head (I didn't have enough sheer blues, and the darker blue wasn't quite sheer enough). The goal is exploration, not perfection, so here you go!

image.jpg

Not to rush anyone, but we're about to head out on vacation, and I'm not sure what kind of computer access we'll have. Here's a closer look and an explanation of inspiration image #8:

image.jpg

I didn't have any really "inspirational" manis to post, and thought it would be fun to challenge our creativity. My husband is an artist, this was drawn on the iPad using the Paper by 53 app. I was looking for interesting colors and textures to see where we all can go with it! I decided to try a watercolor mani. It didn't exactly turn out the way I had it in my head (I didn't have enough sheer blues, and the darker blue wasn't quite sheer enough). The goal is exploration, not perfection, so here you go!

image.jpg
Great exploration with watercolours! I would be super tempted to stamp that one with a deep green or blue bird or flower image just like I am mine. You'll see what I mean... But sometimes simpler is better! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> At the real nail scale, I image they're really nice to admire right now. I imagine the deeper blue probably stands out more in the pic than it does in reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Response #8

I decided to focus on the 'pre-storm' clouds in the Inspiration image. I'm really enjoying wearing them like this, but my original plan was to stamp on a deep blue or green bird or flower image to further mirror the original. I think the effect of the clouds is really pretty on the nails though, so I've self-edited (for now) and stopped before I did something I might regret.

Clouds on White rt.jpgClouds on White lt.jpg

I used Gelish Sheek White as my base, with the blue Cult Nails Nakizzle's Shizzle and the muddy teal Essie Vested Interest. They were applied with a sponge and I used no top coat, so the textural aspect is preserved.

image.jpg

image.jpg
I loveeee your water color mani!

I think it would look really nice with a flower/bird stamped, perhaps I'll give that a go for mine =)

And same question goes for you @@lochnessie in terms of lessons learned - what approach was successful for you with the scallops and how did you get them so beautifully even? This is such a very pretty mani with the pinks. 8 Bit Heart is gorgeous; and I like how you maximized it's display area by creating the light accent right on the corner of each nail. It makes for a very refined look.

Very pretty and elegant! I think sometimes when I'm looking at them to consider purchasing, I'm overly critical of the flower and other decals; I want them to do -everything- for me. So I don't have any decals... :(

Here the clean and gorgeous coral fleck polish with the positioning and restraint with the decals does it all. Perfect for a wedding!
Thank you! For my scallops, I had a base mani of 8 Bit Heart, and then I painted a diagonal section of Julep Edith on top of it. I then did dots of 8 Bit Heart, overlapping with Edith, and then finally did the dots of Edith on top. 

On my other mani, I was gifted the decals awhile ago and didn't quite know what to do with them - this is the only set I have. I was impressed with how easy they were to put on, though; I'd like to experiment with more!

Here's my mani for inspiration #6. Every time I saw the picture, I just thought "green on green!" (even though I later learned it was a blue Konad when @@Monika1 explained it), so I stuck with a tone-on-tone stamping. This is a base of ConjuredbyAW Hoverboard, stamped with Octopus Party Nail Lacquer Shore Fire and a plate from the Bundle Monster 2013 set.

IMG_20140721_133256.jpg

And here's my response for mani #8! I skipped over #7 for tonight, since I'm just not feeling a red - but I'll come back to it soon enough!

This is Maya Cosmetics Robin with a bird nail vinyl from Make it Stick Designs, topped with Pretty & Polished's wax topcoat. I love the small flakes in Robin, and I feel like they go along well with the inspiration colors!

Mani #8.jpg

Thank you! For my scallops, I had a base mani of 8 Bit Heart, and then I painted a diagonal section of Julep Edith on top of it. I then did dots of 8 Bit Heart, overlapping with Edith, and then finally did the dots of Edith on top. 

On my other mani, I was gifted the decals awhile ago and didn't quite know what to do with them - this is the only set I have. I was impressed with how easy they were to put on, though; I'd like to experiment with more!

Here's my mani for inspiration #6. Every time I saw the picture, I just thought "green on green!" (even though I later learned it was a blue Konad when @@Monika1 explained it), so I stuck with a tone-on-tone stamping. This is a base of ConjuredbyAW Hoverboard, stamped with Octopus Party Nail Lacquer Shore Fire and a plate from the Bundle Monster 2013 set.

IMG_20140721_133256.jpg
This is beautiful! I love the colors together!

IMG_20140721_133256.jpg
Wow that's really awesome. Very pretty and fantastically wearable. I have to do more specifically tone-on-tone! Yeah, it was a blue on Giovanna, but because it was a light colour on a fairly dark one, I think despite it being Konad, it's still a bit less than opaque, so it does seem tone-on-tone. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OK, so you're just super coordinated with the scallops. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Given the strategy works so well for you, maybe I'll have to try it; we'll see how it goes with getting dots that evenly placed... Congrats on that set!!!

And here's my response for mani #8! I skipped over #7 for tonight, since I'm just not feeling a red - but I'll come back to it soon enough!

This is Maya Cosmetics Robin with a bird nail vinyl from Make it Stick Designs, topped with Pretty & Polished's wax topcoat. I love the small flakes in Robin, and I feel like they go along well with the inspiration colors!

Mani #8.jpg
Such a pretty blue, and love, love, love the bird with it!

IMG_20140721_133256.jpg
^^^Very nice! This mani is so classy =)

Mani #8.jpg
^^^That blue is perfect for the inspiration! Great job! The little bird is just the right touch here.

I wish I lived close to you ladies. I'd love some pretty nails for my birthday! Last year the nail lady wasn't happy with me because of what I wanted her to do (which wasn't unreasonable). She got all pissy then told her it was my birthday. Then she snapped right out of it. lol

Here's my inspiration #8, I didn't bother cleaning up since I don't like it lol. Also ignore the black glitter that decided to hang out in my top coat- boo! Used a formula X light blue and GlitterDaze a whole new world glitter topper.

image.jpg

I wish I lived close to you ladies. I'd love some pretty nails for my birthday! Last year the nail lady wasn't happy with me because of what I wanted her to do (which wasn't unreasonable). She got all pissy then told her it was my birthday. Then she snapped right out of it. lol
Yeah, if we all lived close to each other, we could have such fun 'nail' get-togethers! It would be really neat. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Here's my inspiration #8, I didn't bother cleaning up since I don't like it lol. Also ignore the black glitter that decided to hang out in my top coat- boo! Used a formula X light blue and GlitterDaze a whole new world glitter topper.

image.jpg
Aww, what don't you like about it? I think I really like the light blue tone and think it would be really nicely enhanced with a royal or navy blue, or even bright orange-red feature. The topper seems to give it a green tinge? Maybe a turquoise feature to match that and get into the 'fishy/mermaid' feel?

Latest posts

Back