$700 for ONE nail polish???!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the heck...?!?!

This is insane! I've always been hesitant to drop money on a Deborah Lippman or a Butter London polish. It must be nice to have $600 to spend on just one nail polish. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel the same as you about "make my own before paying THAT much". In fact, my roommate just told me where to go to get automotive flake around here....*cough*
You just got me googling again.  Hah.  Too bad most of these sites have such crappy pictures.  The automotive holo flakes look cool from what I can tell.  Now I can't get the image of a linear holo car out of my head.  Hehe.

I figure at least for spending that $600 on supplies I'll learn something & make a bunch of different stuff.  A much better investment, imo.  : p

I hadn't even heard of any of the indie brands you listed so I googled them and now I'm obsessed with "Girly Bits - Mother May I?"  I couldn't find it for sale on any website for less then $18.50 and even though I love the color I can't bring myself to pay that much for it.  $600 for one nail polish?  Insane!

No way on earth would I spend that kinda of money on a bottle of nail polish. Not even if I was independently wealthy.

Maybe it's made with bits of real panther in it? so you know it's good! LOL but seriously, $700 for a nail polish? It better have magical powers or something!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like a scam to me.

I'm looking at items on Ebay and $55 for a bottle of home made nail polish? No thanks. With companies like Cult Nails that are far more affordable if I want indy polish I'll still with them.

I'm sorry but it's not even PRETTY polish... the one for $600.

This one is $200.

This one is $177.50 right now.

It looks so cheap looking! I'm sorry but it does and as those prices I would expect the bottle to look more professional not with $1 store stickers that have been handwritten. Maybe I should start making nail polish since I'm such a collector and start selling it for a few hundred bucks too.
wacko.gif
OK after seeing these I have to ask... but why? None of them are polishes I'd especially look for even if they were only $5. The packaging is awful, the colors are mediocre at best.

There was an auction that ended on eBay on July 15th for one bottle of lynderella at $1.025 with 59 bids!!

Originally Posted by Dana24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was an auction that ended on eBay on July 15th for one bottle of lynderella at $1.025 with 59 bids!!
whaaat?!

icon_eek.gif

Just looking at it from the regular, can't afford to pay $1000 for one bottle of nail polish perspective, that's absolutely insane. That amount of money is typically what we pay for rent and our utilities. 

Its so funny that you brought this up because recently I saw on my news feed of on facebook where someone had done nail art with it. So I looked it up and was so shocked at the prices on ebay. I thought it had to be wrong. So quickly decided that I did like it as much as I thought I had and went to Walgreens as settled for $4.99 Milani glitter polish!

One thousand dollars for one bottle of nail polish is just sick, really grossly stupid.

So, I was at dinner with several nail bloggers and had a talk about this because I wanted their input since the nail world is what they focus on. From my understanding there are several reasons the prices do go up on the price and one person (whom I will not mention) even said that it came to light that Lyn's brother was selling the items on Ebay which caused the breakup of Lyn and the girl who sold the products for her originally. I wish I could go into further detail suffice it to say that when I said I thought it was a scam I now REALLY think it is. I also was given information on some of the ingredients used and the legality of it but again because I don't have actual proof I won't get into it since it's hearsay. One thing is for sure if I want independent nail polish I'll stick with Cult Nails (which I need to get more of).

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is kind of old news on nb, but in case anyone's bored and wants to read up on the current conspiracy theories...

and here's a post that summarizes the initial drama:
LOL! I love what the second blogger says at the end:

"I guess all I can really say is that I am a firm believer that glitter should never be violent or dramatic."

Touche!

Does every bottle contain a mani/pedi genie you can call upon at any given time? Because all I see is glitter in clear polish. I am obviously missing something.

I literally have to give myself a pep talk about nail polishes over 4$. SO you know I rarely have expensive ones, Like you said with 200+ nail polishes there is going to be a dupe and Id feel awful if I spent alot of money on that dupe. BUT 600$. That's rent.

Back