ADD/Laziness/or does she just not care?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for asking hon.

Things are a little better.....as long as I'm on her. That's the part that is hard, is always having to be on her. Grades are improving a bit. Homework seems to be going better too (not great, just better). Oh and she's seeing a student tutor 2 times a week as well, just to lesson my load as well.

Next week, I think Monday, she's got her Dr. Appt. for a full check up and exam to rule out other possibilities as well.

She's one of those kids that just seems for forget alot, or uses that as an excuse. But since I have the teacher sign a notebook after she writes down her assignments, atleast I can track things that way.

You know what I noticed too, is I think she's gonna get her period soon....yes that could mean alot in regards to her everything....but again this has been going on since I remember (her attention thing). But maybe the hormones and such have really messed with her, and got her back off course....cuz for that last 2 years, she's done ok in school anyways. She's gained some weight, "developing", getting some zits and on and on....so I believe she's getting close.

I will definitely post back here after her appointment and update everyone.

Thanks again for everyone's caring and understanding, opinions and advice.....man it's so nice to feel loved and cared for by fellow MuTers!:heart:

Your child needs a psychologist to help you and her understand why she is doing these things. I am NOT saying your child is nuts or psycho or anything like that, but if she has ADD or any other issues concerning brain function and processes, medication or plain therapy should help. My young cousin had similiar issues a couple years ago and she went to a psychologist. He helped her immensely. She is now making fabulous grades, more socially open, and happier. Really...therapy is nothing to be ashamed about. You need some help, and for your peace of mind and that of your daughters you should consult a professional.

Good Luck.

Well I for one think my myself and my child are NUTS.....cant' believe we are both still among the living and not in a hospital (for stressed out indivduals).....

On a more serious note.....thank you so much BrazenBrunhilda.

Here is my update: Kaitlyne had her doctors appt on Monday (2 days ago) for her full exam and other tests to rule out any other possilbe physical issues (thyroid....etc.). We are now in the process of having assessments done to see if she is in fact ADD (which so far the ones that have come back in, are showing she is). I may or maynot have her on a trial period (one months worth) of a very mild dose of ADD med. Just to see if it's for her/us or not. This has not happened yet. She has a recheck in 2-3 weeks in which time we will determine if this is the route we want to take.

Now if after the trial period (which I still haven't decided yes or no to yet, but leaning towards yes).....if this doesn't seem to help her, then we definitely will have her checked by a physchologist for other issues such as anxiety, depression, stress or other nuerological issues.

So that's where we are right now, awaiting the other couple assessments coming in from teachers....then to go back to the doctor and weigh our options after that.

You're doing an excellent job and taking all the proper steps that many parents don't even think to take! Your daughter is very lucky to have such a caring mom! I'm glad you're finally getting some answers!

(((HUGS))) :icon_smil

Thanks hon....hugs accepted and taken!

You know what's kinda weird? Ever since her doctors appt....she's been really "lovey" or more so than she was before (and before she was alot too). But this type of "lovey" is almost when she speaks it or hugs me and kisses me.....it's almost like she's releaved that we are looking into all this. Like she can see that something will be done or her options are being weighed.....almost like she's greatful again or greatful that we are doing this for her????? I can feel it in her touch......weird "Mom" vibes coming from her.....weird but good! Feels good. I think she senses a light at the end of the tunnel (so to speak).

Got another UPDATE: the nurse called and let me know my daughters blood results which shows she has a thyroid disorder (like me and my mom).....not that I'm happy, but relieved to know it was something. We are still going through with the ADD followup though because I still believe she needs some assistance in that area.

The funny thing was the doctor never prescribed any meds and I asked the nurse to make a note to the doctor and ask about that. Cuz I'm on meds and my test results were lower than hers. She's further off the charts than I am.....which is weird why didn't they prescribe her meds then, maybe it's different in children. But I said, yes I know she's going through puberty and all, but 15 lbs in one month....come on!

Kaitlyne is now back in sports (5 nights a week) so this may help with her weight, but with the thyroid disorder, I feel she needs the meds.

I will update again after her ADD recheck (after assessments) and with any news the doctor gives me with my questioning her thryoid and meds.

seems like things may be on the move in the right direction for you and your daughter.... hope everything get completely ironed out real soon!!we're all thinkin' 'bout ya's!

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Today's recheck after the ADD assessments shows she is DEFINITELY ADD. We are going ahead and doing the month of trial with meds (since we have obviously tried every other route) to see how she does with them. I will probably start her on them by this Monday. I will keep everyone posted as to how it affects her.

Thank you so much for everyone's support, advice, kind words!

Good to hear. My mother's side of the family (mom, aunt, grandmother) all have thyroid disorders. I am checked regularly, but thyroid problems alone can affect your mood heavily among other things. Thanks for the update and definitely keep us posted on the trial of meds.

Kelly, I'm so glad I was able to get you in touch with katelyn as she is experiencing the same kinds of things with her daughter that you are with yours. I knew you two would have a lot to talk about.

Thanks! Yep our daughters could be twins. Or so it seems everything we talk about is exactly what happens with our own daughters (does that make sense?).

Thank you! I will keep everyone posted. She starts the meds officially tomorrow. I gave her a dose today to see how she reacted to it, seems to be fine. (although her dose was 1 1/2 tabs twice a day)....I only brought 1 tab with (forgot it was 1 1/2) and so she got a partial dose....but it was good to see for myself that she didn't wig out our get sick.

The teachers will be keeping a close eye on her as well and I asked that they report back to me good or bad with anything they notice (via e-mail). Can't wait to see how things go this next month.

I am so glad to hear about your daughter, Kelly!

It really is like John Lennon said, there are no problems,

only solutions. I really believe that.

BTW...I know this is prob not the place for it but,.....

HOW WAS THE BIRTHDAY PARTY??????:party::party::birthday::birthday:

Thank you so much. And oh my goodness her birthday was a BIG hit. They had a blast. My middle daughter told me this was the best birthday party she had ever been to (and it wasn't even her birthday, it was her older sisters').

Below are pics with their GANGSTA hats on....I wish I had photo shop to move the kids closer together....kinda spread out. And a couple of the girls that had sunglasses, I thought would be fun for them to act tough (then my daughter is in one with "pretend" glasses on....she's quite the nut.

Enjoy:

View attachment 18356

View attachment 18357

View attachment 18358

View attachment 18359

EDIT: They are all a bit sweaty from running through the scavenger hunt....and boy they look like a bunch of scary girls don't they? Ummmm no.

i have ADD and in fact i could not even read all you wrote cause of it, it is late and the adderall is gone. so forgive if this has been said before

i have a son who is high functioning autistic with ADD. he is 14, i went through hell back with schools, i now homeschool

i just wanted to say how happy i am that your daughter is getting some relief, i teared up on the part of where she was so lovey after going to doctor, i know how she felt, i think my whole family knows how she felt and you too i am sure when you got the dx.

how is the thyroid issue going, i have thyroid issues too, i swear i hear so many people tell me they have the harderst time getting treated for this, how terrible to have a doctor tell you "lets just wait and see" when you cant get out of bed. cant eat a pieace of lettuce without gaining 10lbs, or remember the dogs name. (and yes i actually had to think about the dogs name, before i was treated) oh and i still have ADD even with the thyroid medication , i dont forget stuff so much and my brain fog has lifted. but concentration is still hard, but the adderall helps, i am worried thou cause my adderall did not help when my thyroid was at its worst, and to top it off i was so depressed. i hope they get her on some meds soon, i fear the ADHD med will not work well if the thyroid get out of hand,

after her thyroid issue is under control if she slips some don't freak, as she grow meds will need to be adjusted. especially if she does thyroid medication.

her homework should be tailored to her, she needs her time too, get that adjusted, they have to test her and have meeting if you request it. my son had an IEP when in school, but there is one that is not so intense that i think is called a 504 or something like that she can get. any more problems in this area check with your local laws and also the web look for wrights law. it will explain things much better and in english. you can also get an advocate for her through you local mental health dept. or there is national one too. amazinlgy know one ever tells you of these places , the advocate (if there good) know the laws, also they can help with getting them to appointments, and they can spend extra time with the child going for walks , ice cream and just talking. it is nice for some of the kids cause they can talk without any one telling what they should or should not do, the advocate just listens. something hard for parents, were to close, my son never cared for it, but he is a different story.

i am so happy for you and your family

oh and big pieace of advice, with you going down the medication highway, be aware it can be the highway to hell. kids dont understand or cannot communicate things about their bodies, like i feel nervous, so eyes open.

always start low and go slow, some docs get carried away , dont be afraid to ask if you can work up to theraputic dose. my son had a horrible reaction to ritalin, so i thought he was not ADD, turns out he is , the dose was just too high.

never ever and i mean ever start two medications or stop more than one medaication at a time, it is best to wait 30 days in between changes, just a word advice from a mom who has been that hell, not worth it.

ts

Thanks for posting the party pics, Kelly!

It looks like the hats were a huge hit and something the will remember for a long time! Parties are great!

I also hope all goes well with the ADD and the meds and therapy.

I used to think maybe I had ADD. But I can pay dang close attention if I want too. I think it is great nowadays that they can be so specific with diagnoses. ROTFLMAO at your "hospital for stressed out people". In the old days, that's pretty much all they had to offer. You were just labeled "nervous" and those places could get pretty nasty. Nah. You seem very sane to me, sane and fun.Things are going to be so much better for both you and your daughter now. :smilehappyyes:

tsims: Thank you so much for your story and words of advice. I will definitely take them into consideration and remember that if/when those times arrise. I too hope that we can get her thryoid in check soon. With her hitting puberty, the doctor wants to wait and recheck in 3 months, since puberty can really mess up a body sometimes. So if it remains the same, I hope to get her on a med for that too, because obviously if thyroid is out of wack, it will make other meds or functions not work like they should. As for the part that made you tear up.....I know this is exactly what was finally needed for her to feel some sort of "peace" about herself and life. THANK YOU!

Elizabeth: Thank you for your words. Yep alot of times I say I'm ADD but actually it's just that I have a "short term memory loss" disorder (he he) lately....which can be quite frustrating. I joke about it though, because, what can you do?

prettybabi11492: Thank you as well. Yes, I believe it's almost like a new beginning. It's both a sad and happy time. Sad because of all the past and what we went through, and happy to finally start on a road to success or atleast give her the ability to succeed.

Dee: Thank you for thinking about us. I love the girls here on MUT, they genuinely care and offer such good support and advice. Again, thank you.

Melissa: It's so kind of you, you are always so caring and checking up on me, not to meantion with everyone on here. You are a great person, as is everyone here on MUT.....thank you for your caring words and advice.

Angela: You have been so helpful as well. Full of information! Thank you for your time spent in giving your story, stragetigies and advice. I just can't say enough about EVERYONE!!!!!

And to everyone or anyone else that I may have missed personally addressing.....I appreciate EACH AND EVERY comment/post, I think just talking about it and getting advice/opinions and such, help tremendously. THANK YOU ALL.

I will do another update after a bit, on how the meds are doing or if the teachers respond with good or bad comments about what they notice with her.

gosh i really wish they would work her thyroid before doing ADD meds. she may not even need ADD meds or the dose could be lowred. pubrity should not have her numbers off the chart.

they are doing study now with armour (thyroid med) and ADD patients if i find the link i will post it. i know i was able to drop my dose after i started armour.

they have also done a study of bi-polar and thyroid problems, many people dx with bi-polar were actually having thyroid issues. again i will post the link if i can find it again, maybe her doc would be willing to start a low dose of thyroid meds over summer vacation if he reads the studies, i say summer cause then she can go off the ADD meds (time to wean off and time inbetween before new meds could be introduced) and it wont effect school, it will just drive you crazy during the interm. :scream3:

how are the add meds doing. they should notice a different immediately even though say give it 30 days you usually notice right away. unless it is strattera then yes give it 30 days

ts

Back