ADD/Laziness/or does she just not care?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She will be off the ADD meds in the summer, so this is definitley something we could do over the summer to see how things work if we just treat the thyroid. Thank you for suggesting this. I will talk with the doctor.....although, now that I recall, her thyroid was checked and normal a couple years back. It's just now, they noticed the change. So.....I will definitely take and look at this approach as well. I remember when she was 6 years old as well, when we thought she was ADD, they did all the testing, but I'm not sure if they checked the thryoid back then.

Thank you, this is definitley something to consider and try out over the summer. THANK YOU!

Got my first update from one of Kaitlyne's teachers:

Kelly,

No D slip this quarter in Science!!! Filling out the assignment has been very helpful for Kaitlyne as well.

There have been no out-bursts since she started her medication. It seems to me that her attention is much improved.

Dan

She actually had an "F" in Science and after about 40 HARD hours of trying to catch her up on homework and such, we brought it up to a "D something"....and now she's at a "C" WOW!!!!! I was actually worried, because she has less homework lately and she's also in softball, so I was wondering if she was skippin on homework again. Obviously not. Can't wait to see all her other classes.

Hi Kelly, I would've posted sooner but I just bearly read this thread. I am going through the exact same thing with my son right now. He is in first grade. He has always been really hyperactive ever since he was a baby but it didn't really become a problem until last year. I thought he was just having a hard time adjusting to school but this year, he's even worse. He can't sit still at all and he plays with his hands a lot and pounds on things. His teachers would say that he's very loud and disruptive in class and no one would want to sit by him. He would fight a lot and get sent home from school. My breaking point was when I got a call from the principal and he had hit three kids within an hour of getting to school. The principal told me they were suspending him all week. I work 9-5 so I didn't know what to do. I took him to the Dr. and he said he fit the profile for ADHD to a tee. He prescribed Ritalin for him in a low dose and I can't believe the difference. I have always been against meds too but the Dr. educated me about them and I just want to give him the best chance possible to learn and succeed and if there's things going on in his body that he can't control then that's not very fair to him. I was thinking of taking him to a child phsychologist too because he has had a lot happen to him in his life that could contribute to his fighting. His dad showed severe bipolar and ADHD tendencies but would never get tested. My son also saw him hit me a lot when he was young so I know his subconcious remembers that. We are divorced now and I am remarried to an amazing guy that my son calls dad so I'm hoping that his future will be better and he will overcome all of these obstacles. He's such a sweet kid. Good luck with everything and know you are not alone. Love ya... April

Awwww, thanks April. Good to hear about your success with the meds. I know you probably tried everything too, before the 'med' route, as we did. I too felt, it was only fair to give her this chance to see if it worked for her. It seems to be helping a bit, although the med I wanted her on, which is more long term (instead of the short term 2 times a day Retilin and it wears off by the time she gets home too). Just that we pay for our prescriptions and the med I wanted her on, is ummmmm $150 a month, compared to Retilin is $24 or abouts that. I thought we could at least start her out on that is see if she even responds well to it, then in the future, change her to the other that has less side effects and such.

I wouldn't say Kaitlyne's all that hyperactive, she was in the past, her problem is not being able to sit still or pay attention, and sooooo many more things as well (if that makes sense)? Not like bouncing off the walls hyper. I do notice she is unable to calm herself down, like the rest of us here, example if we start playing or getting excited and silly, then it's time to calm down or settle down, it takes her a VERY long time to settle down, like she can't settle down or calm down on her own. And not being able to sit still, but not hyper active....hard to explain. She has a hard time controlling herself or even keeping to herself - almost like she's got someone or something controlling her....it's weird to explain, cuz she'll do just off the wall obnoxious - UNTHOUGHT through things, she doesn't think before she does things, almost like she doesn't use her brain she just 'does' and then wonders why it worked out wrong or something. She'll just get up in the middle of class and just walk around and ummmmm - other weird things like that.

Just too many things to meantion......the not caring attitude towards school work or the arguing and bickering she does and she acts very jealous of her siblings and ...... I could go on and on!

I say you should take her to a psychologist who can give her a psychological test, they can evaluate if she really has ADD. They usually take about 3 hours and the child is asked a whole bunch of things, like word definitions, making patterns, and stuff she basically they just see if there's a discrepancy between the visual/spatial/verbal/memory functions. Don't let her get diagnosed with just a simple questionaire!

Btw, I ouldn't recommend medicine. Stuff like ritalin or adderall is pretty much just speed.

No problem, Kellie!! I know how hard and frustrating it can be!! You are so lucky that you are a stay at home mom. Some people aren't that lucky and they can't spend the one on one time with their children that they need so much. You sound like you're doing a great job. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i have ADD nd the way you described her, your daughter sounds like she may have it too. what you should do is go to a doctor and get him to so some tests with her and see if she does in fact have it. if she does then i think that she should go on some meds. i dont think it is a bad thing, it works and she would be able to consentrate a lot better. you can really notice the difference that it makes. i was just like her at school. all the simplest things are hard to do because it is really hard to get motivated. i got really high marks in primary school because i had a lot of really good supportive teachers. but when it came to highschool, my grades dropped from A's to C's and some D's. i didnt cope very well in highschool. you should get your daughter some help, take her to a phycologist regulary, not becase shes "phyco" because she aint, but because they would be able to give you and your daughter advice on how to cope. i see one regulary still. there are many books on ADD that you should read and they should give you an insite on really understanding your daughter and why she does or cant do stuff. there is a lot of help out there if only you go and seek it. i know it will make life a lot easier for you. im not just giving you an opinion, i know what i am talking about because i have ADD and i havve gone through all the problems that your daughter has gone through. and remember medication is ok, it aint gonna turn her into a zombie, it will help her to consentrate and act better. i hope that this will help you. cantact me if any of this helps, i would love to know if any inprovement hapens if you use my advice. i have lived with ADD so i do know what i am talking about!

Thanks so much for your advice, and comments, it means alot.

UPDATE: she's done a trial period (1 month) of retilin at 15 mg twice a day. We have a deductable of $2200....so I had to go with retilin $24/month (we may be getting some prescription assistance and may be able to put her on Concorta soon, I think it was approx $140 a month....which I rather since it's longer acting and not as many side effects). I haven't noticed any side effects on her.....I do notice it wears off easy though (short term meds). There is a SLIGHT difference in how she is responding, for the better. Not as confrontational, is a bit more relaxed or calmed down....but ABSOLUTELY NOT ZOMBIE like at all!!!! Grades went up about an icrement (remember she's only been on it one month).

The doc is upping the med to 20 mg twice a day, which I guess is the average dose (for her age or weight). I explained my concerns and we have the old dose at home too, if I feel 20 is too high, I can bring her back down.

In about a month, she's able to go get another thyroid check as well. If her thyroid is the same as before, I'm taking her off the meds and seeing how she does on just thyroid meds. They will only do the 2nd thyroid check 3 months after the 1st one, because of puberty, hormones and all that stuff....because this way if it's the same....then we will know for sure that it's thyroid and not one of the other factors above.

So we will do the 20 mg twice a day, in June....this way I can monitor her and see how she does, since I'm home with her. Then in July, the thyroid test.

I'll keep everyone posted on her check in July....and then on so everyone can see how we are doing and what we eventually come up with....HECK it may just be thyroid or HECK maybe a combo of both thyroid and ADD....maybe I'm just one strong mom....I know this too, because not many people can handle Kaitlyne for very long....not that she's bad, just that she's a challenge, so to speak (believe me, I get my moments as well....just breathe, walk away, or pick and choose my battles....but the constant on her thing is really wearing and trying at times).

My son is on 20 mg once a day, but it is Ritalin LA (Long Acting). It has a slow release to last until about 5 or 6 at night. I preferred this because I can handle him in the evening just fine, but when he's at school and the teacher has 25 students, she can't devote the one on one time he needs. The difference is tremendous. He's not zombie like either. Since I don't see him at school, I wanted to do a little experiment at home. I gave him the med on Sat and Sun. Saturday, he was still playful and acting like himself but not as distracted. I was glad to see it didn't alter his personality, just helped him control it. On Sunday, at church, he sat with his arms folded and looked straight ahead quietly. I wanted to see the difference the meds made in two different senarios. I think the meds help him differentiate between when he can and can not be loud and play, whereas before, he couldn't. If he had been sitting quietly at home and not playing, I would've thought something was wrong or the meds were too high. But he was normal on Sat and quiet and obediant on Sun. Does that make sense. Anyway, I think the meds were a good decision. Also, Kelly my Ritalin is costing us $90 a month before deductible. Maybe it's more because it's LA and only once per day.

Thank you.....and yes I think the LA was more expensive, if I remember correctly, that's why we chose the short term for now, just to get a feel for what or how she'd respond to them.

It was funny because we went to dinner the other night at about 5:00 and at the beginning, he was sitting quietly with his hands to himself and at about 5:30, just like a light switch had been turned on, he started figdeting and playing with his hands and making noise. It was interesting to see right exactly when the meds wore off.

put her on some ritalin before she goes pyscho. Not all teens are the same but i don't trust them anymore...I met this one girl who was a 13 yro with ADHD and I have never seen teenagers the same since. My poor min has been corrupted, this girl was that much of a whiny bratty wench.

It sounds like your tutroing of your daughter is taking a lot out of both of you...and it's funny as well as sad to read the whole long post as if it were all your problem. stop helping her with every problem on homeowrk..and if you help with literally every problem and she is still failing, whoops you must have misadvised her. I vidly remember bieng in 5th grade and wanting to cry because my dad's numbskull ex insisted I erase everything I had written down for my English homework and writre down what she told me to write down. On my own I got B's and C's, with her "help" I got a D plus. I am not sure parents realize that sometimes it is best as well as less taxing to let a professional handle homework troubles for kids. see if your town has anything like a trutoring help phone system...our town actually has a "homework hotline" that runs from september to April, fro 4 PM to 8 or 9 pm...or something like that. I used to get help with my Algerbra from the phone line...Mel hates math, heh.

A day late and a dollar short, but I wish you the best Kelly! I hope things have gotten better for you since this post... Cyera isn't ADD/ADHD, but she sure can be a handful! BTW, no matter what, I think we'll all have a point in parenting where we might feel as though we did (or we're doing) something wrong. That's just IMHO on the last part though... Best of luck darlin'! :hug:

Hi Kelly,

I've followed your thread and I want to say BRAVO for being such a caring mom.

My poor mom struggled with my brother in many of the same ways you struggle with your daughter. Unfortunately my mom couldn't help him with every problem, she simply didn't know how to do the math and science.

I think it is great that you have gone to such great lengths to solve this problem. So many parents just give up.

My brother was never tested for ADD or anything, he was just put into the 'slow' class. I doubt it was ADD that he had, some other type of learning disability maybe. In high school something changed for my brother. He never became a "good" student, but he became determined. I think the change was linked to JROTC. The club/class was like a cult. (probaby not the best was to describe it) All of a sudden he was interested in something and good at it. Sure he still had trouble with the ROTC history classes and aviation lessons, but other parts of it really stuck. I couldn't believe how quickly he picked up on all of these miliatry terms. --- Okay I guess I'm going on a little too much, but the point is this rubbed off on other subjects. He also became more respectful to everyone, me, my mom, strangers. He cleaned his room and he PASSED all of his classes!

You've mentioned your daughter likes sports. While you may need to limit them, and occasionally use them as a motivational factor, but I hope you never completely forbid her from participating in non-educational things. As important as school is, it simply isn't for everyone. My brother is one of those people who would have never enjoyed higher education. Maybe he could have forced himself to complete a 2 or 4 year degree, but at what price. He served for 4 years in the Marines and is now a Highway Patrol Officer. He does very well in his career and has aspirations of joining the FBI. I think his life would have been completely different if he wasn't allowed to join the ROTC and CAP (two teenager military like clubs).

It sounds as if you are allowing your daughter to pursue other interest, so what I'm saying you probably already know, and know better then me. Your story just touches my heart and I wanted to share my own experience. I want to give you hope, there is light at the end of the tunnel. My brother is the perfect example of how well a 'problem child' can turn out.

you are doing the right thing by being supportive and attentive. but you are right, you have a life too. you have other children, who you dont want to start doing poorly in school also, as a ploy for your attention. i was somewhat the same way when i was that age, actually basically all the way up until grade ten. my parents were both very supportive, helped with homework, made it very clear that getting good grades was something that was very important in household. but still, i basically had that attitude that, 'its my life, if i dont want to try at school, no one else is being affected but me. so leave me alone.' this made them very mad, and they did NOT see it that way, and in turn, pushed harder, made more rules about studying, and more consequences for poor grades or unfinished assignments. it was a vicious cycle, because the more they pushed, the more i rebelled. i wasnt a bad kid, i wasnt into anything i shouldnt be, i was just very independent, and if someone told me to do one thing, i did my very hardest to do the opposite.

when i got into about the middle of grade ten, my friends began talking about university, taking classes to fulfill the criteria, getting really good grades for thier passport to education (not sure if you have that in the US, but in canada throughout high school, if you get a certain GPA you get money towards post secondary school, in a little passport thing. every year its more and more). anyways, i started thinking about what i wanted to do, and knew i wanted to go to university, and i began to actually take school seriously. i knew that if i did poorly in school, i wouldnt be able to get into a good school, i would not be able to do the things i wanted to in life. so in turn, i went from being on the merrit list like twice, to honor role student every sememster. not because my parents did anything differently, but because for the first time, i was doing it for myself. it took me and ONLY me, to pull up my socks and get my crap togeather.

i am glad that i had parents that took an interest in my school, and supported me and pushed for me to do well, but really, at that age, in that young teen mindset, there was nothing anyone could say or do, that would have made it any different early on. so i would say that you are doing a great job, but your daughter is old enough to be doing things on her own, and nothing you can say will make her decide one day to put in her all. it will make you want to pull out your hair, but this is how it is. one day she will get it, but im sure then, she will be very grateful for you being there for her all along. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> good luck! being a parent is the hardest job anyone will ever have to do! but if you are supportive and loving, there is nothing in the world you can do wrong.

Well...so far so good. We now are having her assessed in school, to see if she can get some assistance. IE highlighted text books, or taken out of class during homework time (for a more quiet environment). They will assess her to see how she learns best and try to work around that. Thank goodness....finally some help from the school!

Put a board in her room or anywhere she will remember and put assignments or tasks like 3 pm -4pm TELEVISION and 4pm -8pm (HOMEWORK) you know something like that to make her remember and when she tells you “mom I forgot” tell her to go to the board and look what it says. Let her be less dependent on you. That does not make you a bad mother. You want her to be a good and a successful human being . Happy and succeed in life and live. Follow her bliss. You know that's your baby.

By doing this you will have more time to spend with your other children. You do not want to neglect them because its no healthy for their brain developmen and spirit. Kids in there teenager years start to act out because of the stuff or events that happened in their childhood. All that stuff shows up in the pre frontol cortex in the adolescent years. Its just shows up; so therefore, kids are more vulnerable to drugs, alcohol, and sctozprina.

90% of childrens' brain grows the first 6-7 years of life and the rest 10% developes between the age of 18 to 25. Children's brain is very Plastic. Meaning that it is able to change, flex, and develope increadbly. A kid can loose the left brain (math, science, language, etx) and the right brain miracosuly starts to take over language. The right side of the brain starts to rebuild language, which people thought was immospoble. It’s amazing.

In school, switch school if they do not cater to your and your daughters needs. You pay them, so its their job to teach. Ask the school if they have an after school program or one period class where she can get her work done with a teacher or an aide. Your daughter is not able to express or have a vocie because she is a child, you can be that voice and it seems you are.

You studying with her and helping her keep her grades up is ABsolutely Fantastic!!!! You are doing so much for your child. This is from my personal experience > May your parents be a single mom, grandma, or whatever guardian you have, if you instill or put in your kids that school is important, grades are important, and doing your homework is important and demand and EXpect that they excel, sooner or later they will and you wont have to push them so much. They will get it because when they were younger you made them realize that. Its is so imperative. And with education you are able to stand on your own and succed like crazy.

Don't give up on her, She is your child. Her teachers, friends, boyfreinds, classmates, people, society, or whomever it is can give up on her (not thats it right), but you cannot and must not give up on her. You do not have the right or the power or the decision to give up on her. You do not have the right to choose.

Speak to the doctors and other parents who are going through what you are. Listen to all and observe them. See how they handle or solutuions they have made up for problems. And then make your own plan. Be like a psychologist or a sociologist, take down all the notes from everyone and make a big plan. Also, talk to a doctor on how you can help her. You know, going on drugs or putting kids on pills is not a good idea.

Find other resources or try everything else before you put her on medication.

With mediction or pills you have to keep increasing the dosage overtime because you wont get the smae effect or results you did when you first started.

You are an amazing mother. I just can tell. :handkuss:

Thank you! And thank you to all that have followed along and given such great advice and support!

Back