Anyone else having trouble finding a job?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by la_chinita /img/forum/go_quote.gif The job is at the beauty department...I'm not too sure how that would work and how they would schedule the hours there...there's only so much you can do at the counter I would think. I guess we'll have to see what the manager tells me tomorrow. Did you always start in the morning though? Regardless of how many hours you worked?

Good luck on those interviews! I'm sure you'll do well because you already have experience in your field.
smile.gif

There were some days that I worked the late afternoon shift. But for the most part I came in at 5:00 in the morning. Now when I first applied to Kohl's I chose the beauty counter but they gave me that job instead! I was so pissed.
wacko.gif

Aw that sucks! That's the problem with retail jobs is pretty much take it or leave it. Wow...I didn't know they started that early...so I'm you stocked up and stuff before customers get there right? Did you ever see anyone from the beauty dept. that early?

I'm getting nervous! We'll see what they tell me today...
smile.gif

How should I do my makeup? Interview makeup? Or all-out makeup? After all, it is a beauty department job...I'm not sure what I should do...any advice?

A little more than everyday makeup ? I wouldn't go for night makeup, but i'd accentuate more my eyeshadows i suppose.

Yes!!! It took me a few months to find a job, but even then the position is temporary. ARGH!!!

So I went to the interview today...they were very unorganized...the manager had me wait for a whole hour, and she didn't even bother to show up even when she set the appointment with me yesterday. Another manager had to take over and interview me instead. The weird thing was, my bf came with me and we both heard her name as someone was saying hi to her, so she was obviously at work... I guess she just didn't feel up to the whole interviewing thing.

Anyway, the manager I finally interviewed with was really nice...They asked me pretty typical questions, nothing unusual. They said to give them a week.

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes!!! It took me a few months to find a job, but even then the position is temporary. ARGH!!! It's frustrating sometimes, isn't it? But at least you have one, even if it's temporary.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by la_chinita /img/forum/go_quote.gif Aw that sucks! That's the problem with retail jobs is pretty much take it or leave it. Wow...I didn't know they started that early...so I'm you stocked up and stuff before customers get there right? Did you ever see anyone from the beauty dept. that early?
I'm getting nervous! We'll see what they tell me today...
smile.gif

How should I do my makeup? Interview makeup? Or all-out makeup? After all, it is a beauty department job...I'm not sure what I should do...any advice?

Yep that was my job. But I had to stay until 10:00 so I would still be there by the time the store opened. The beauty people come in around 8:00, they have to wear all black. I was so jealous! Their job looks fun. I rather put up makeup that some clothes!

I see you already had your interview but I applied at Kohl's twice. The first time I had my interview I looked a hot mess. Jeans a raggedy shirt and a jean jacket!!! No wonder they didn't hire me the first time. But the second time I did much better and then I finally got a job. Well good luck and hope you get the job!!

Thanks for all the support you guys! I hope I get a call from Kohls too...or better yet, from the two jobs I'm still waiting on!

I actually have some GOOD NEWS!!! I got called today to substitute at a school! It was so much fun because I got to work with kids all day...They are fun to be around, and time went by so fast. I hope I get called again soon...I like that I'm getting some work more experience, even though it's only as a substitute.

I'm also having trouble finding a job. It's really scary because in this economy my husband might get laid off and then we won't have any income. I'm working at Wal-Mart right now to get a bit of money in, bug obviously it's not much. I invested lots of money going to school, I just want some one to hire me so I can at least pay back my debt

Wow that's weird about Kohl's. I worked there fresh out of HS when I had no experience at anything, not even retail. They were my retail experience. I worked for them all through college. Are they only doing online applications? If not, it might be better to to to a store and submit with them in person. That's how I did it, but maybe they're only doing online applications now I'm not sure...

What is the field you're trying to get into? Nurses do work right out college here. My roommate in college is a nurse and got hired right out of school. There are different levels of nursing and they continue education. But it is definitely possible (and probable) to get a job as a nurse right out of college. The programs make it 'easier' I think because they have a lot of practical experience, kind of like med. school

Originally Posted by krazykid90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm also having trouble finding a job. It's really scary because in this economy my husband might get laid off and then we won't have any income. I'm working at Wal-Mart right now to get a bit of money in, bug obviously it's not much. I invested lots of money going to school, I just want some one to hire me so I can at least pay back my debt I know exactly how you feel...I spent so much money with school too, even with financial aid, the tuition, textbooks and other expenses still add up. My dad works at Walmart too...it's getting worse because now they're cutting hours. Instead of just getting two days off, he's getting three days off, and they're taking off hours. Hang in there, hun. I've learned over time to just try to be positive even though it's hard to be happy about the situation all the time.

Got an interview with Macy's today. I should be excited but I'm not expecting much from this interview.

It kinda irritates me to not get even a rejection e-mail/letter/call. I sent my resume to probably 50 companies and i only got 2 responses. A quick e-mail wouldnt kill anyone even if you have like 40 interviews. Copy and paste. lol

I see you sorta have a job now but I thought I could still contribute to the topic:

I graduated from university 4 years ago. I was lucky and I had a job lined up before I graduated (I did mechanical engineering). But after two years my company downsized and I lost my job (this was in 2007). Then it took me a good 6 months to get another job, my current one.

I know the economy is slow but I think it might be a little slower in US than it is here in Canada. Some industries such as construction, clean technology,...here are blooming even more than before.

My advice is do more than just applying for jobs by sending in resumes. First think about what is it you want to do (your dream job - a realistic dream though), then focus 70% of your job search energy on that. Not only you need to send in resumes, you also need to follow up on all the resumes you sent out. First by sending a written thank you letter right after the interview and then by calling and asking someone about the position a week later. Even if the answer is negative, you can inquire about positions available or on how to improve your interview skills. You also need to tell everyone, and by everyone I mean even ppl you highly doubt can help, that you're looking. You also can volunteer in the field you're interested in to meet ppl who have your dream job. On top of that, you need to walk in to places (or call) and ask for a Q/A session with manager/supervisor. If you are polite, do your research on the company and know what you want this has proven helpful. Spend 30% of the rest of your job search allocated time on the search for back-up plans (retail...).

Finally, no matter what the economy, you have to realize that job searching is a full time job and you need it give it all to succeed.

Hope I was able to help. Feel free to pm me if you need more help

Well my interview went ok, lasted only a good 10 minutes (is that a good or bad sign?) Any who I'm not expecting any call backs from them.
frown.gif

But after that interview I went over to Bath and Body Works and they were taking applications so I took advantage and filled one out. So hopefully they will call me for an interview. *crosses fingers*. I hate this very much! The whole looking for a job thing sucks and then waiting for anything is stressful. Just wish it was easier.

I would say 10 minutes is about average length of time. It depends on the position and the structure of the interview. I've went to interviews where it was around 10 minutes or even shorter because they had all their questions written out. Then for some of the more unstructured ones it could take 10 minutes or more depending on if the interviewer likes to talk, lol. Good for you for taking initiative on filling out another application! Don't give up hun!
smile.gif

So how long do you think is a good time to wait until they call before you say "Ok I didn't get that job then!"?

Hmm I would say first, give it two weeks and if they still haven't called, then call them to follow up. If they don't call you back or give you the runaround, I'd give it another week. If you don't get anything by then, I'd call one last time, just to make sure...sometimes it takes a while to process papers. So overall, maybe 3-4 weeks. Usually you'd get a call before then if they wanna hire you.
smile.gif
Just make sure you call to follow up so they know you're really interested.

*update*

So it's been a week and two days since my interview with Macy's and applying to Bath & Body Works. Haven't heard back from neither of them, so today I called BBW and according to the manager so many people have applied there so it's taking them a while to go through all the applications and she told me that they would be calling if they wanted to interview me, and she said it might be in a couple of weeks! Of course I was thinking "A couple of weeks! I need a job now!" But I'm not ruling them out completely. As far as Macy's I don't know, I really felt like I screwed up on that interview so I don't think they will be calling.

Still on the hunt!

i got a job interview whoop whoop on friday wish me luck
smile.gif
. Im so happy ill update yal thank u all for being supportive and nonjudgemental.

Back