Anyone else having trouble finding a job?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by bCreative /img/forum/go_quote.gif So how long do you think is a good time to wait until they call before you say "Ok I didn't get that job then!"? I dont even know, lol, in my experience most employers will not tell you you didnt get the job. Sometimes I get letters, but it is usually months after I applied and usually jobs I never interviewed for (just applied for). I always write thank you notes, but I guess they are too busy to let me know. About the previous questions, I have had really long interviews, usually around an hour, it may be b/c these were not store jobs, they were professional ones. The store ones I have had were like 1 minute, lol. I guess I will be doing those again, there really isnt anyone hiring here, except for stores and things. Most businesses have laid off a huge percentage of people and will not be accepting new applicants. Gotta love the recession. The only plus to me is the ones I will apply for wont be as stressful, my past ones were so stressful, my hair was falling out in clumps, seriously.

Originally Posted by bCreative /img/forum/go_quote.gif *update*
So it's been a week and two days since my interview with Macy's and applying to Bath & Body Works. Haven't heard back from neither of them, so today I called BBW and according to the manager so many people have applied there so it's taking them a while to go through all the applications and she told me that they would be calling if they wanted to interview me, and she said it might be in a couple of weeks! Of course I was thinking "A couple of weeks! I need a job now!" But I'm not ruling them out completely. As far as Macy's I don't know, I really felt like I screwed up on that interview so I don't think they will be calling.

Still on the hunt!

I'm sorry
frown.gif
I have no money or job so I can sympathize. I have also screwed up on past interviews, big time, as in, I went home and cried b/c I messed up so bad. Once I was told the wrong time by the receptionist, so I showed up an hour late, thinking that was the time. That guy was so mad, he ragged on me the whole interview, about how I probably would never show up to work on time. I had someone laugh at me once too, I dont even know why. I was supposed to submit writing samples and she just laughed and laughed. They werent funny samples, and I had been told they were good. People are so weird sometimes. Life goes on though.

Someone laughed during your interview? That is very unprofessional and I wouldn't want to work for someone like that.

I just turned in an application for Jo Ann's, so we'll see where that takes me.

Originally Posted by bCreative /img/forum/go_quote.gif *update*
So it's been a week and two days since my interview with Macy's and applying to Bath & Body Works. Haven't heard back from neither of them, so today I called BBW and according to the manager so many people have applied there so it's taking them a while to go through all the applications and she told me that they would be calling if they wanted to interview me, and she said it might be in a couple of weeks! Of course I was thinking "A couple of weeks! I need a job now!" But I'm not ruling them out completely. As far as Macy's I don't know, I really felt like I screwed up on that interview so I don't think they will be calling.

Still on the hunt!

It does take a while to sort through so many applications...I remember while I was waiting to get interviewed at Kohl's a couple of people stopped by for applications. They never called me, by the way, lol.
smile.gif
Even if you didn't do so well in the interview, that just serves as good experience. Maybe the next time you get interviewed, you won't be as nervous because you already know what not to do or what not to say. It also helps to do some preparation, maybe research possible questions online.

I borrowed a book from the library-Job INterviews for Dummies- and it has REALLY helped. I mean REALLY helped me gain more confidence and strategy for interviews. Like the book said, an interview is like a play...the interviewer has a role and you have a role. In other words, you have to "wow" them with your act. You have to essentially not just "be yourself", but an extra confident, extra enthusiastic, extra passionate version of yourself. If you're not feeling it, you have to fake it at some degree, without being overdramatic. I read that book back to back, followed its advice, and it really helped me do better at interviews.

Just don't give up hun...keep putting applications in. I was putting in several applications everyday, and not all of them even called back or acknowledged that my application was received. Trust me, you'll find a job, it'll just take some time with this sucky economy.

Originally Posted by bCreative /img/forum/go_quote.gif Someone laughed during your interview? That is very unprofessional and I wouldn't want to work for someone like that.
I just turned in an application for Jo Ann's, so we'll see where that takes me.

Good luck to you on that application!
I agree it's very unprofessional to laugh at someone during an interview. It's appalling to me how some interviewers act. It's as if they're in a power trip. This one interview I went to had me waiting 30 minutes, then when she finally took me in, she took several more minutes checking a message on her phone! How unprofessional! And then, during the interview she was yawning, tapping the table, etc. If she was not interested in hearing what I have to say, she should at least be polite and just end the interview right there.

Originally Posted by dixiewolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry
frown.gif
I have no money or job so I can sympathize. I have also screwed up on past interviews, big time, as in, I went home and cried b/c I messed up so bad. Once I was told the wrong time by the receptionist, so I showed up an hour late, thinking that was the time. That guy was so mad, he ragged on me the whole interview, about how I probably would never show up to work on time. I had someone laugh at me once too, I dont even know why. I was supposed to submit writing samples and she just laughed and laughed. They werent funny samples, and I had been told they were good. People are so weird sometimes. Life goes on though.

Wow, how unprofessional! Like I said, it seems like they're on a power trip sometimes.
I also screwed up really bad on past interviews...and to think that I actually prepared for it and everything. My nerves got the best of me, and I just went in with a defeated attitude. And as soon as I walked out of a room, I tripped on my heel on the stairs right outside the window! Needless to say, it was a really bad fall...my ankle was super swollen weeks after that. To this day it doesn't feel the same. I'll never forget that interview! But it has really helped me do better in the ones I had after that. I guess if you know how nervous you can get it'd be easier to prepare yourself for it and control the nerves.

Thanks la chinita! You've been a lot of help and I appreciate all the advice. Makes me feel better about this whole looking for a job thing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bCreative /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks la chinita! You've been a lot of help and I appreciate all the advice. Makes me feel better about this whole looking for a job thing.
smile.gif
No problem! I know how it feels to keep trying and not getting any response back from the jobs I applied for. It can get very discouraging. I was always on the hunt...it was almost like a full-time job, lol. I get up in the morning and start putting applications in...searching job engines...typing up resumes, the whole deal. By the time I know it it's time to make dinner, haha.
smile.gif
Thank goodness someone gave me a chance...it's just a job as a substitute, it's not full time and not regular, but hey, it's something. I'm sure someone will give you a chance too. Hang in there.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PrettyFlowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am worried because it seems that the paper is not reporting any positive promises. The bank is saying it won't get better, but it is them who has the power to create this problem in the first place.
Lay off notice was issued last spring, where I work, and now the seniors are being offered the retirement package. Meanwhile, they don't make a lot of money to retire early and live the life. You know? So now they may have to look for another job that should be going to others who have have to work for another 10 or 30 years to save for retirement.

Wow...it's like a vicious cycle...the seniors have to look for a job, creating more competition for young adults trying to get into the job market...laying off workers may seem best for one particular company but it's not helping the economy.

Wow it's been a while. Still sadly job hunting. I have another interview with Macy's for a completely different job of course. Maybe this time will be better. Never heard back from Bath and Body Works or JoAnn's Fabric, which is one of the reasons I hate putting in applications in person because I feel that once you hand it too them they just put it down and forget about it.

Good news for me I got a job as a receptionist at a university. Thank you guys for being so supportive ~huggles~....

To the others here keep looking I know it sounds cliche but really keep looking the economy is getting a little better. Try temp agencies they seem to actually have jobs now.

I'm on a job hunt right now. I say just go after what you really want to do and aim after the direction. Everything will be a lot easier cause you'll enjoy your job more (so it's not really a job at all when you're having fun)

Ok so I'm done trying to get a job at Macy's. This was like the 6th time I tried to get a job over there and nothing! I really thought I was going to get that job since it was the same thing I did at my last job.

Congratulations, those of you who have found work, and god luck to those of you still searching.

For myself, I'm really starting to think it's a lost cause. After several years of doing a number of different jobs (mainly work experience placements) I moved back to South Wales and became a carer to my partner, who suffers with mental health issues, for 5 years before we split up.

I moved out of the flat we shared in New Year of last year, and because I was now able to look for work, signed on to start claiming Jobseeker's Allowance to aid me during my search, and also to gain the support and advice they could offer.

However, just over a year and a number of jobsearch related courses later, I am still unemployed and still claiming benefits. I put in between 5 and 10 job applications a week, have done for all this time, and the only thing I have had back is one very polite rejection letter. No interviews, and not even an acknowledgement of Christ knows how many applications. I am pulling out all the stops to get myself noticed, and am applying for both jobs I have done before, and completely new territory.

This is starting to seriously get me down now. I, personally, believe that my two biggest problems are my lack of personal transport (which I can't afford to sort right now) and my five year absence from work, even though, as various professionals have advised, I have put on my CV, dressed up in the guise of an actual job in order to prove that at least I have been doing something during that time.

Being out of work all this time is not all it's cracked up to be. It is extremely boring, I am constantly skint and my sleep pattern is suffering, as where I live is out in the middle of nowhere, and none of my mates nearby, so I feel like there's nothing to get up for half the time. Also, in the UK at least there is a social stigma attached to being unemployed; if you claim Jobseeker's Allowance, the majority of people automatically decide that you are a lazy scrounger who has no intention of ever looking for work because you get everything handed to you on a plate. Shit, if I felt that way inclined, I'd bag myself a millionaire, because then I'd get more than £64 a week and wouldn't be treated badly by people who don't even know me!
mad.gif

I've just started a new course, which should allow me to arrange some work experience placements to help rebuild my shattered confidence, and we are also in talks about funding for a CBT motorcycle licence, because my prospects would be much better with my own transport as public transport is a nightmare. So I really hope something positive comes out of all of this, because I honestly don't know how much more I can take.

Sorry for the long post/rant, but I am just so frustrated now
frown.gif

I'm in the same boat. I haven't had a steady job since I got back to the US in August last year. I worked seasonal at Macy's and I have an on-campus job at school (but I only get 2-3 hours a week =/), but I haven't been able to find a stable job. I've been denied a lot because of my availability

Ironically I landed an internship in Japan this summer for 3 months. Everything is paid for (housing and airfare) plus we get a stipend. Still trying to look for a job in the mean time but i don't think I'll get hired anywhere because I'll be leaving in a couple months. I just hope I'll have better luck when I get back home.

I'm in the exact same situation, I graduated in August 2008 with a bachelo's in HRD and was hoping to get a generalist asst position, but I couldn't find one job, except an asst position paying 8.50 hourly. My friend told me about a health care insurance position making 13 an hour, so I took it and did it for a year, but of course I got laid off! The company closed the entire MI office, even though I was one of their best agents! Right now I'm unemployed, but I have high hopes!

I've got to add myself to this list. I'm still in school, but I'm graduating this June with a degree in economics from one of the big economics schools in California. I've been throwing my resume out left and right for positions in financial and business analysis and started submitting profiles for general assistant positions, but I have no bites so far.

It's quite discouraging; I feel like I have great skills and have taken some extensive courses in preparation for an entry level position, but i have nothing to show for it, so far.

Back