Anyone tried The Oil Cleansing Method??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just bought some sweet almond oil and rose water. I'm excited to try them out! Why do you mix the 2 and how do you like using the sweet almond oil alone? Also wondering the same thing. I would use the rose water as a toner, not combined with the oil. Rose water makes a good toner. How much of each if combined?

Originally Posted by lily88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif turmeric powder hasn't stained my skin so far
smile.gif
so i don't really know ....but i have heard that if u mix a little bit of plain yogurt with it, try to make it into a paste and use it as a mask or jus cleanser it prevents staining....i don't use the powder regularly, jus once in a while...i think if u use it on a daily basis it definitely will cause staining... I was using it daily and my skin started to turn yellowish...lol!! I might give it another try

This is the first that I have ever heard of using oils to cleanse the skin and for help with treating acne. I'm nervous about trying this method with castor oil. A few months back I had tried one of the products from the Cetaphil line and within a day of using, I had tiny, red, pimple like bumps all over my forehead. Once I stopped using, it cleared up. Of course, it contains Peg-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, so the chemical makeup of it has changed and that could be why I reacted to it. However, castor oil does shows up on my list of allergy/irritation for my skin type.

Some of you mentioned some products already mixed, but upon looking up those ingredient lists, castor oil is listed. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid the castor oil. It seems like this is pretty important to have, is there any way to avoid the castor oil? Product suggestions?

Castor oil is pure and not solidified as hydrogenated anything is. If you are allergic then try grapeseed oil. Grapeseed oil is also an astringent. You can sub the castor for grapeseed.

Hydrogenated oils are not the way to, especially castor oil. I can't use it as well and for years i would stay away from this oil for that reason. It's only lately i dared buy some pure castor oil, and i noticed the difference.

I used to use oil cleansers. I've tried Shu Uemura, Laura Mercier, Kiehl's, SKII, and Sekkisei (I think that's how you spell it). My FAVORITE was SKII. As far as oil cleansers, NOTHING compares to SKII!!!

But after I started working with Sisley, I use Cleansing Milk instead of oil cleansers and it's even better than an oil cleanser. You use it EXACTLY like the oil cleanser (on dry hands, dry face, rub the cleanser all over the face to melt away the make-up. then rinse with water). It melts the make-up (even waterproof) and leaves your skin so soft. Even if you have oily skin, I'd recommend the Lyslait (Dry, Sensitive) formula. It removes make-up 2x better than Cleansing Milk with Sage.

And since I work for the line, you can ask me any questions!

Hope this helps!!

Originally Posted by LoveSisley /img/forum/go_quote.gif I used to use oil cleansers. I've tried Shu Uemura, Laura Mercier, Kiehl's, SKII, and Sekkisei (I think that's how you spell it). My FAVORITE was SKII. As far as oil cleansers, NOTHING compares to SKII!!!
But after I started working with Sisley, I use Cleansing Milk instead of oil cleansers and it's even better than an oil cleanser. You use it EXACTLY like the oil cleanser (on dry hands, dry face, rub the cleanser all over the face to melt away the make-up. then rinse with water). It melts the make-up (even waterproof) and leaves your skin so soft. Even if you have oily skin, I'd recommend the Lyslait (Dry, Sensitive) formula. It removes make-up 2x better than Cleansing Milk with Sage.

And since I work for the line, you can ask me any questions!

Hope this helps!!

The Oil Cleansing Method involves simply oils - Jojoba or olive oil, mixed with castor oil or grapeseed. It is an effective and INEXPENSIVE and natural way to clear pores and remove any makeup off your face without preservatives and high pricetags.
I did read some reviews about SK-II. One review states that the ingredients list appears incomplete on their products. Pitera is a byproduct of making Sake (rice wine) which currently has not test history about its affects as an anti-aging agent unlike colligen, matrix 3000. The main ingredient to that oil cleanser is MINERAL Oil which is a petroleum product. In the long run, that mineral oil is going to do more harm than good.

At $106 on Amazon for an 8oz bottle, $58 in another, I'd stick with my jojoba/castor mix. I don't want petroleum products on me.

I've never tried it myself! Something I'm a little intimidated by! I worry I'd try it hoping for good results and then just whammo - some skin disaster! Is it recommended for normal type skin? My skin is neither dry nor excessively oily.

kayleigh... from what I have read, OCM is good for all skin types. You just pair up the ideal carrier oil(s) for your skin type. I found a site on another board that I'm thinking of getting my OCM from, until I'm ok with mixing my own. They mix it for you, and will put your formula label on your bottle, etc. I don't know what the rules are about posting links, but just google "purified skincare".

Has anyone ordered from Purified Skincare site and/or used the products?

TK

I haven't tried purified skincare, sorry.

I agree, everybody can use OCM, it's a matter of picking the right ones for you. Just because it's named oil you assume it's only "oily". Bad choice of words, but oils have other properties like soothing, oil balancing, etc and they are nicer to your skin than other makeup removers (that last part is my personal opinion though).

For normal skin i'd suggest jojoba, or olive from your kitchen (just make sure it's pure and cold pressed).

Originally Posted by kayleigh83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've never tried it myself! Something I'm a little intimidated by! I worry I'd try it hoping for good results and then just whammo - some skin disaster! Is it recommended for normal type skin? My skin is neither dry nor excessively oily. I know trying anything new is scary. You may ask yourself 'why would I add more oil if my face is not dry?' That oil cleansing method doesn't add any more oil to your face, it goes with the concept that you can dissolve oil with another oil. Unlike any store-purchased cleansers will contain preservatives and other chemicals where getting olive oil out of the pantry won't.

I picked my oils out on the Purified site. Going with jojoba(70%), grapeseed(25%), and sheabutter oil (5%) and an emulsifier, don't remember which one. But I'm looking forward to giving this a try.

How much of are you gals using per cleansing? Dime size or is that too much to use?

You really use a little, if you can get a bottle with a pump, it's more economical. I use a little less than a dime size for my face&neck and my eye makeup, maybe more if i wear HD foundation, just for extra precaution.

Then i wipe it off gently with with a cotton square, wet with water mu remover. You can also use tap water (make sure it's not hot !) and a regular wash cloth.

I actually put my oils in the old airless pump that my shu eumara oil cleanser came in. I use 1 pump into my palm. I wear mmu, gel liner and waterproof makeup that I want to make sure all comes off so I do use more than a dime and more like a quarter size and I do it 2x. You'll realize what works for you when you actually use it. I like it completely covering my face but maybe it may be overkill for someone else. You don't need an emulsifier if you make your own. I think it's supposed to make it easier to remove but when I put in lecithin to my oils, I didn't like the feel. Now I have to use it with the lecithin til its gone
frown.gif

As for me, i have oily/acne prone/sensitive skin. i have tried these following brands:

shuuemera: the first few days..it was alright. then it gives me small little bumps..under the skin. and it broke me out.

bobbi brown: first 3 weeks...it was alright. then slowly it dries out my skin...i dont know why.

DHC: 3 weeks now....this is by far...the best i have ever use. the oil is thick. but...after u wash it...ur skin is so soft.

hope it helps.

Been on OCM for 2 months. I just use extra virgin olive oil then follow with fresh milk. Surprisingly no break out on my face and skin feels so good. Save me some good bucks (I used to remove make up with Chanel) I only use normal facial cleanser in the morning as I don't have time for the OCM process. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been using OCM for over a year now.  I only do it once a day.  2x seems excessive.  

Originally Posted by emeraldnguyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Been on OCM for 2 months. I just use extra virgin olive oil then follow with fresh milk. Surprisingly no break out on my face and skin feels so good. Save me some good bucks (I used to remove make up with Chanel)

I only use normal facial cleanser in the morning as I don't have time for the OCM process.
smile.gif

Ok, so I tried the OCM method for about a week now... Is it normal to have enlarged pored around your nose from this? Cuz my pores are now HUGE...

i haven't noticed any difference about my pores.

I agree with Diva, once a day is enough. I do it at night, so in the morning, i just wash my face with chamomile water. It works fine that way :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by cubicanna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have dry and sensitive skin. I have been trying to use my D.I.Y cleanser for almost 2 months.

I use 30% of oatmeal, 30% of honey, 20% of extra virgin oliver oil and water to make it. Firstly, combine oatmeal and warm water. Add the other ingredients succeedingly and stir it until it becomes a mushy paste. Store it in a container with a lid in your fridge.

I have used so many cleanser like Neutrogena, Lancome, Chanel, Cetaphil... But this one i made is the best as yet.

In the wintertime, when my skin is at its driest and most sensitive, I do something very similar. I use either coconut oil or grapeseed oil. I take a tablespoon of white sugar and a tablespoon of oatmeal and put it in my coffee grinder and grind it up till it is a fine powder. I add that to my oil when I need a little extra calming and exfoliating. Honey is a great additive too.  So is a "rotten" banana!!

Latest posts

Back