April 2014 No/Low-Buy Support, Advice, Free Hugs, and Commiseration

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so glad we're back up and running! I missed this place (GROUP HUG) !!!

I was good since my Chic Week/20% off Ulta splurge.

More later! Just wanted to make sure everyone was trickling back in!

Yay! I did well mainly because I've just been too busy and exhausted to shop. Oh, and I'm trying to get back into the swing of blogging at night instead of browsing on shopping sites, so I'm not adding stuff to my shopping list. I had been planning in picking up the Allure box, but then I saw what's in it, and it was abruptly taken off the allowed list. It's almost all products I don't use, so it would just be a waste of money.

@@eastofthesun i bought a tube squeezer and wanted to show you how it works on the bite agave lip mask. i'll be posting a picture when i get home. yay that MUT is back!

Last edited by a moderator:
YAY we're back! FAIL yesterday. Meh. This is what happens without the no buy group. Glad it's back!

YAAAAYYY!!!

We're back. I was so lost yesterday without this place lol miss you guys! I've just had general fail all month long, so I'll stop talking about it now until it's time to end the month. However, hello for rediscovering some old faves! dear makeupgeek cocoa bear eyeshadow, I love you so.

One success I had was resisting the naked basics palette -- I have SO MANY FREAKING similar ones, so I went home and put a small 5 pan palette together for myself to mimic the naked basics one...equally portable, and 5 very basic but pretty shades. lemming killed <3 

I was having success..I only spent $0.86 at K-mart on some clearance makeup and I had like, $4 in surprise points to spend..Then I went ahead and bought stuff at Sally's because of the free gift card promotion, and I bought stuff at Bath & Body Works because in my head, skincare doesn't count the same as makeup! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My no-buy went off the rails this week. I succumbed to too many Earth Day deals.

On a positive note, I de-stashed and organized my makeup and skin care products, and the hoard is starting to look manageable. I also up quite a few full size products this week, so at least there will be some room for the new stuff.

ARGH!   Been gone for a while because I couldn't figure out how to get back on with the new system. (Didn't realize my password wouldn't carry over.)  So far, hating the new site.  Have to learn to navigate around it.  But going strong on the no buy!!!

As long as the site has been back up, I'm just now figuring out how to post on my phone. Not intuitive at all. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

No buy has gone better than any other attempts in the past so I'm thrilled with that.

As long as the site has been back up, I'm just now figuring out how to post on my phone. Not intuitive at all. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

No buy has gone better than any other attempts in the past so I'm thrilled with that.
How the hell do you post via phone? It doesn't seem unintuitive. It seems flat-out impossible.
ETA: Whoops, nevermind. Pre-caffeine Meagan is posting here and thinking you mean posting photos. This redesign is a motherfucking hurricane of a nightmare.

i feel like i've been spending a TON of money on clothes. its kinda counter intuitive. i want to lose weight (and spent money on one of those beachbody plans)..but i also like shopping and still need jeans and i'm pretty sure i'm not gonna lose a ton of weight overnight (although people are losing a bunch of weight in 21 days). I'm just gonna argue that these are necessary for now . at least i'm not buying make up. i acutally spent a ton of birchbox points on homegoods items!

Girls, I'm in trouble. They're building an outlet mall right down the street from where our old apartment used to be (and about 15 minutes away from our current home), and I just learned they will have a CCO ........ 

Girls, I'm in trouble. They're building an outlet mall right down the street from where our old apartment used to be (and about 15 minutes away from our current home), and I just learned they will have a CCO ........
Here's the funny thing about easy access to wonderland stores: The novelty actually wears off. I'm a huge bookworm, and for a few months a few years ago, I worked next door to Powell's, a bookstore so big that you literally need a map to find your way around, even if you've been going there for over twenty years. I loved going in and looking around every day (it was also a shortcut to the bus in rainy days!), but I found that I didn't buy as much stuff because I got really good at deciding to hold off until next time. I live two miles from an amazing Asian makeup store (Pretty & Cute), and I rarely go because I can go there any time.

Here's the funny thing about easy access to wonderland stores: The novelty actually wears off. I'm a huge bookworm, and for a few months a few years ago, I worked next door to Powell's, a bookstore so big that you literally need a map to find your way around, even if you've been going there for over twenty years. I loved going in and looking around every day (it was also a shortcut to the bus in rainy days!), but I found that I didn't buy as much stuff because I got really good at deciding to hold off until next time. I live two miles from an amazing Asian makeup store (Pretty & Cute), and I rarely go because I can go there any time.
Oh, yeah, I certainly know that bit. We live by MoA, which is I think right now the 2nd biggest mall in the country (used to be 1st but someone else in new york 1+upped it. lol), and I rarely go because it's huge and crowded (very tourist-y place). Our nearest CCO was about an hour and a half away, but now knowing how close I'll have one makes the temptation that much bigger... .I'll probably go for the opening of the store in august, but will try my hardest not to make weekly trips >_> 

Hubby is excited though because they have under armour, and he's a gym person, and loves their clothes. Wallet shall cry at under armour. 

EDIT: I freaking hate this new layout :C 

I've done great on the makeup/beauty no-buy, but I wandered into the Dollar Tree today and spent $20...

I did need the Mother's Day cards and new drain filters, but I probably didn't need the adorable froggy dustpan, ladybug dish scrubber, dinosaur wall stickers (for my kids, I SWEAR, lol), measuring cup/spoon set, gum, etc...

BUT. I found Physician's Formula blushes there!  Could NOT believe my eyes!  I got two(Natural Organics and Blushing Organics). So, I did slip a bit on the makeup today.  BUT PHYSICIAN'S FORMULA BLUSHES. FOR A DOLLAR. 

And y'all, so much yes on the new website issues.  I'm learning the regular website pretty quickly, but the mobile site makes me want to throw my phone across the room.  I still can't figure out how to access my subscribed threads on there, so I just go to "New Content" and see what's happening, lol.  GAAAAAH. I refuse to give up.  I love you guys too much!

Oh, yeah, I certainly know that bit. We live by MoA, which is I think right now the 2nd biggest mall in the country (used to be 1st but someone else in new york 1+upped it. lol), and I rarely go because it's huge and crowded (very tourist-y place). Our nearest CCO was about an hour and a half away, but now knowing how close I'll have one makes the temptation that much bigger... .I'll probably go for the opening of the store in august, but will try my hardest not to make weekly trips >_> 

Hubby is excited though because they have under armour, and he's a gym person, and loves their clothes. Wallet shall cry at under armour. 

EDIT: I freaking hate this new layout :C 
Yay Minnesota! The one in Eagan that's opening? I AM SO EXCITED. I'm super close too, CRAZY excited for a Sak's off 5th to open out there as well, but this is going to be dangerous......

Yay Minnesota! The one in Eagan that's opening? I AM SO EXCITED. I'm super close too, CRAZY excited for a Sak's off 5th to open out there as well, but this is going to be dangerous......
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! I used to live right off on silver bell road...literally down the street from where that outlet will be. Now I'm about 15 mins off into Burnsville.

I didn't know you were from MN! The first thing I closed in on was the fact that Sak's will be there. 

How the hell do you post via phone? It doesn't seem unintuitive. It seems flat-out impossible.

ETA: Whoops, nevermind. Pre-caffeine Meagan is posting here and thinking you mean posting photos. This redesign is a motherfucking hurricane of a nightmare.
Uh,  no...I couldn't figure out how to post from my phone. I couldn't figure out how to log in...it's not been a good experience on the phone. I'm navigating ok on my laptop, although I still haven't found all of the threads I used to subscribe to. sigh...hope this all gets sorted out soon.

*cough*  I went OFF THE RAILS over the past twenty-four hours.  I feel like I should feel most guilty about these boots (side note:  it says the color is "oxblood," but they're really more plum than anything), but I love this style of Doc, and I actually do need new shoes.  I have one pair in this style -- but black with *dragons*! -- that I've been wearing three days out of four lately, and that's not just good for their lifespan (they're something like fifteen years old), so I've been trying to get around to getting another pair for something like three years now.  I kept putting it off, but I got a coupon for 20% off last weekend at Record Store Day, and I still have some money from my weird tax return/bonus/FSA check infllux, so I took that as a sign that it's finally Meant To Be, especially when I easily got  parking spot (not typical in that neighborhood).  I have two pairs of 11- or 14-eye (can't remember which, but either way, they're tall) Docs that are lovely (one is hot pink patent leather, and the other is black with cherry blossoms embroidered on the sides), and I do wear them frequently in the winter, but it's just too warm now to wear anything higher than 8-eye, and my feet have weird problems that basically mean that, yep, Doc Marten Pascal is one of the the best non-sneaker shoe styles for me.  I feel more comfortable buying another pair of them than a pair of an unknown quantity like Danskos or Doc Marten oxfords.  I *want* a pair of Doc oxfords, but the reality is that they would press the wrong places on my feet, and SO MUCH PAIN.

Um.  Yeah.  The Docs.  And a wax tart warmer, both Maybelline Bleached Neons Color Tattoos (yes, I realize they're basically dupes of two shades from last year, but I didn't get them last year, so they were absent from my collection.  I really wish they had redone Waves of White, too!), coffee *and* soda syrups, a refill carbonator, two indie subs (Rainbow Honey and innocent+twisted alchemy.  At least I opted for mini/sample versions on those two), a bunch of stuff from IKEA (at least that was under $50, and I passed on about four different shelving units that I desperately want), and about twenty other things I DID NOT need but thought, "Well, as long as I'm here, I might as well get..."  Like top coat.  And matte top coat, since I signed up for Rainbow Honey, and I really like mattifying those sorts of polishes, and it was only fifty cents since Wet'n'Wild was buy-one-get-one-half-off, and I *was* getting the regular top coat already.

Ugh.  It's a really good thing I was already planning on just making one trip to the grocery store Friday night after work when I'm so tired I just want to go in, grab the absolute basic necessities for the following week, get out of there are quickly as I can, and then stay home all weekend watching stuff on Hulu/Netflix and cleaning my apartment until it's time to head out to my aunt's for GoT. 

Back