Are You Bilingual? How Did you Learn?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first language is Arabic, then comes English.. though i could say my English grammer is better by miles than my Arabic one ..tee hee..

I know some French as well.

I studied in a private school which required us to speak perfect Arabic and English, and take on a third language.

Learned English?

well since KG.

i took French for only 3 years and its getting rusty now so..

but i dont think its hard to learn a langauge or that it takes too long. most important thing is you find someone to practice speech with.

I think you're right... I don't have anyone to practise with, and I agree it would help a lot.

I think a partner, with whom you feel super comfortable, would be the easiest to learn a language with. Now to find an italian speaking bf! hehe

I'm actually trilingual, I speak romanian (maternal language), absolutely fluent german (I see it as my maternal l;anguage too ;-)) which I learned before romanian since my mom wanted me to speak fluent german like her... and my grandgrandfather who was partially german... so she used to talk to me in german when I was little. I also obviously speak english which I learned in school...and french...though I don't speak it very very fluently... I just lost my exercise with that...

pinksugar, my best friend moved to spain a couple of years ago and in approx. 9 months she spoke fluently spanish and now ppl dont believe her when she says she's not spanish... so i am sure you can learn italian in no time... it's also not very hard (bt it might be my own oppinion since it does sound a lot like romanian and I understand italian perfectly...I could even speak it buut I'm shy to talk in languages I haven't properly learned...) good luck with it!

I know Czech and English (some French in middle and high school too). I didn't know English when I started school because my parents only spoke Czech at home. They were still learning English at the time, and my Mom says that she learned a lot from watching Sesame Street with my brother and me.

i grew up speaking French,but my mother spoke to me English until i was one year old,and she used to run a business with a lot of tourists,so i did always heard English ,so when i went to the UK at 18 years old,my English was decent,except the writting that i never learned as i was going to school for sport and gave up Languages foreign.

A. Do you speak more than one language? what do you speak?

* yes I do speak more 1 language. I speak my mother tongue gujarati. I also speak fluent hindi, urdu and English afcorse. I can read write in Hindi and gujarati & English. I can read Arabic. But I dont speak Arabic and I cant write Arabic.

B. How did you learn? at home as a baby? at school?

* I learned english at school(in India , My back home) learned to speak Gujarati at home as a baby coz its my mother tongue. I also learned hindi at school , its the first language in india. I learned to speak urdu coz my dad speaks urdu. Urdu is very similar to Hindi.

C. If you learnt after childhood, how long did it take you to become fluent or reasonably fluent?

* I learned arabic as a child because i am muslim I follow Islam. So in order to read Quran(Holy book) I was taught to read quran since I was 3-4 yrs old.

Well I speak Spanish but i was pretty much raised speaking spanish since I was a baby 'cause my parents never spoke English to me. But, being bilinual is a great benefit. Good luck on learning!

I can speak 4! I know Farsi because that's my first language and without knowing Farsi in my family you're dead! Then of course English which I'm proud to say I have no accent in. My parents speak Turkish so I grew up around it and I guess I'm self taught at that, and I'm learning French because I used to live in Toronto and I've been taking it since 3rd grade.

Originally Posted by Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh TOTALLY Japanese!!Actually Japanese or Chinese would be great in a business and growing global way!

I know I'm totally late in chiming in, but I'm new to these forums so forgive me. I'm actually fluent in English and Japanese so if you need any pointers, don't hesitate to holler
laughing.gif

I love going to the makeup counters in Japan's department stores. They are just like the American ones, but they often have really cute items that they don't sell in the States. I love those little, neat finds.

Living cute, you are so right, Japanese makeup is gorgeous.

It's SUPER expensive in Australia because of the freight charges I guess.

I learnt some japanese but I think I know more italian now.

You're not too late to chime in! I still haven't left on my trip so it's really interesting hearing how long everyone has taken to learn and how they did it!

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Living cute, you are so right, Japanese makeup is gorgeous.
It's SUPER expensive in Australia because of the freight charges I guess.

I learnt some japanese but I think I know more italian now.

You're not too late to chime in! I still haven't left on my trip so it's really interesting hearing how long everyone has taken to learn and how they did it!

I hear ya, pink sugar, Japanese items are super expensive! Especially with the yen skyrocketing. If and when you make it to Japan, go to a store called Loft. They sell lots of cool things, makeup being one of them, and at that particular store, the prices are fairly decent
smile.gif

I'd also been meaning to take up a third language and it's going to be spanish! i picked up a few graphic novels in spanish that i also have in japanese. It will be quite the challenge. I'll let you know how it goes.

An old thread, but anyway...

English is my 2nd language, have learned in school for 10 years, I think (actually it is obligatory for all students)

German is my 3rd language, learnt in school as well, but I do watch german Tv shows a lot (they have very good cooking shows).

English and german are kinda laike, so I sometimes confuse the two
smile.gif

Most people I know speak at least 2 foreign languages, it's probably because we are a small country and our language is not widely spread.

I've met heaps of people here in italy from all over europe, and almost everyone speaks at least 2 languages! it's crazy! but i've learnt so much just learning for a week!

I hate not knowing what is going on, and that really helps, I hate not being able to read signs or ask for what I want or know what is wrong! it's really frustrating, which makes me want to learn even more! I love talking and communicating so I really enjoy knowing more about the language

I speak English, Finnish, and conversational French

I was taught English and Finnish as a child and took like 6 years of french in school...I can get by pretty well with reading it.

I actually use the French (original) version of fmylife.com which is viedemerde.com to brush up, and it's amusing to read, unlike boring textbook stuff. It really helps when you want to understand what you're reading!

Did you also learn Swedish?

I remember seeing that it's standard for Finnish schools to teach it, but I have no idea whether or not it's true

Back