Are You Bilingual? How Did you Learn?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I speak english and spanish fully fluently. I took french lessons and can speak it acceptably well. Just need to learn more vocab. It did take years though. But when I immersed myself in the language for a month in france my ability to speak it grew by leaps and bounds. I was no good with hebrew growing up, and I took a few semesters of japanese, so I can understand the structure. But I'll tell you this, full immersion is the quickest and most definitely BEST way to learn.

I started learning English and French when I was in elementary school and studied these languages until I was 18. My school was Hellenic - French so that helped too. At the age of 18 I took up one year intensive Italian courses because I wanted to study in Italy. I learned a lot in year but I learned even more in the 5 months I spent there (I also got an italian accent!). It didn't turn out very well so I quit my school and came back to Greece, but at least I learnt Italian...

I think the key is to be passionate about the language and to try to absorb everything related to that language. Music, TV, internet, books, everything hepls. Good thing is that not many Italians speak English, so you will be "forced" to speak their language. But they are so kind and helpful, especially with ladies!!! ;-)

pasiphae, you're totally right about the 'forced' to learn part, that's what I've found since I've been here, but almost everyone is really helpful and nice

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif pasiphae, you're totally right about the 'forced' to learn part, that's what I've found since I've been here, but almost everyone is really helpful and nice I know they are, and especially in the South. I know it's difficult but try to socialize with Italians mostly. Even if you have english-speaking friends there it's best that you speak Italian every chance you get. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy your time there. Italy is a beautiful country!

Well I speak Spanish and English fluently. I learned English first because I watched Barney all the time, but both of my parents are puertorrican so I learned spanish to perfection. Then when I got older I kept watching movies in English so I don't have a weird accent when I speak.

I was born in Serbia, so I learned Serbian via the rents.

When I was 2.5 we moved to Germany and I learned German (and became fluent) by watching TV...don't know how but apparently I was able to speak German when I started school there!

When I was 7, we moved to Canada and it took about 6 months to become fluent in English and FORGET all the German...I guess because my brother and I didn't really have any practice with German when we came here we lost it pretty quickly. I still know enough German to get around and I can carry a (simple) convo, but it definitely sucks that I'm not fluent anymore.

I think if you're really eager to learn a new language and are willing to put the time and effort into it, you'll be fine
smile.gif

Try watching videos in the foreign language too! Apparently it helps

wow lanci, that's cool that you learnt so quickly, apparently if you're younger than 5 years old, it's easier to learn a language than after that age.

Thanks everyone for your responses, it's really interesting to hear how you all learnt!

Spanish my 1st language obviously jajaja...I learned english at my school. I had all my classes in english and only one hour of spanish a day. I learned Italian during college because it was required for my career (International Relations) to know a 3rd language.

i know 3 languages HINDI,ENGLISH and FRENCH.

i learned hindi because it is our mothertongue.

english in school and french online.

i understand french and talk in french but i am not at all fluent in it.

because i lack the practice of conversation.

yup.

ENGLISH and HINDI.

ENGLISH in my school and HINDi at home.it is the common language we use here at home.

I speak Farsi (Persian), English and French. Persian is my mother tongue and French I learned as a child when I was living in Africa (my dad's work). My parents moved us to Canada when I was about 12 so obviously I speak English too
biggrin.gif

German is my maternal language, then I got English in 5th grade, at first it was a fight, but after my parents sent me for a language course to England I fell in love with the language :)

In 7th grade I took Latin, but that's not a language to speak. But it is a great base for learning other languages.

in 9th grade I took French, I was pretty good at it, but almost lost it all.

After my 9th grade I went to Brazil for a student exchange and my portoguese was great after that. But it's been 15 years since then, so I lost almost all of it, too.

Oh, and I speak a little bit Swedish :)

But I do have a so called "ear for languages", so if you sent me to France/Brazil/Sweden for some time, I will find back into the language.

i am a filipino but korean at heart so i started learning hangul(korean alphabet) when i was 15. Then i started to learn how to speak korean. Now i can speak a little korean words^^

Back