August 2013 No Buy/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

lol i feel like this is the least successful no-buy/low-buy support thread yet. so many of us are coming back with our heads down in shame over how much we did buy this month XD ah well

@page5 that's actually a good idea! I'm really in love with the idea of Love & Peace & OPI / Essie For the Twill of It / Julep Blakely but I realised I've been sitting on Butter London Knackered and I haven't even tried it yet! I know it's not a dupe, but I might be able to get something close to that with a grey/black base, which would definitely be more effective than buying a whole new polish! Sometimes you gotta start by looking for dupes in your own nail polish collection u__u

the only way I really get like that is with nail polish. For  lipsticks I'm like, oh it's red. Okay I have enough reds. XD; I want something a little darker than what i have right now but I don't feel a super pressing need as I do with EVERY SINGLE NAIL POLISH EVER
Looking for dupes in my own nail polish collection is how I decided the Julep Sept. box wasn't worth it. Gotta keep reminding myself just because the color is newer and shinier doesn't mean I don't have one already that's "close enough." Like for example, I was going to get the Bombshell box but Karmen is really just a more red shade of Mischa. And I have two dark greys that I never even use. I was also going to add-on Reece but was like... wait. It's just a more shimmery version of Blakely! Money-spending avoided. Phew. And now on the 1st of September I can celebrate by doing a manicure with those "almost dupe" colors, bahaha.

I've also become a weirdo in the sense that I love looking at the fill lines on my existing nail polish. Seeing a Julep with the fill below the "P" is just somehow so gratifying! Yes, I realize I'm totally weird. 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by casualconcern /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looking for dupes in my own nail polish collection is how I decided the Julep Sept. box wasn't worth it. Gotta keep reminding myself just because the color is newer and shinier doesn't mean I don't have one already that's "close enough." Like for example, I was going to get the Bombshell box but Karmen is really just a more red shade of Mischa. And I have two dark greys that I never even use. I was also going to add-on Reece but was like... wait. It's just a more shimmery version of Blakely! Money-spending avoided. Phew. And now on the 1st of September I can celebrate by doing a manicure with those "almost dupe" colors, bahaha.

I've also become a weirdo in the sense that I love looking at the fill lines on my existing nail polish. Seeing a Julep with the fill below the "P" is just somehow so gratifying! Yes, I realize I'm totally weird. 
icon_cheesygrin.gif
That's a good idea!

Every polish collector has their lemmings though. u__u For me it's especially dark [shimmery] purples and mint [creme] polishes. I've almost filled my satisfaction for every mint green colour ever, but not going to happen with purples lol... I started a pinterest board of all the colours I want and and all of my ISOs at the bottom of the page are like purples or blurples.

I mentioned on the fall collections page I was kind of excited about CC Williamsburg despite pretty strongly dislike color club... but actually the shimmer is really subtle. I don't even like blue polish that much so it's mostly an issue of ooooh shiny! I can probably happily replace that with my Zoya Ibiza which I've only used for a few manis. Purples though... again, never gonna get over them XD

That's a good idea!

Every polish collector has their lemmings though. u__u For me it's especially dark [shimmery] purples and mint [creme] polishes. I've almost filled my satisfaction for every mint green colour ever, but not going to happen with purples lol... I started a pinterest board of all the colours I want and and all of my ISOs at the bottom of the page are like purples or blurples.

I mentioned on the fall collections page I was kind of excited about CC Williamsburg despite pretty strongly dislike color club... but actually the shimmer is really subtle. I don't even like blue polish that much so it's mostly an issue of ooooh shiny! I can probably happily replace that with my Zoya Ibiza which I've only used for a few manis. Purples though... again, never gonna get over them XD
I hear ya. Teal/aqua shades are totally my nail polish Achilles heel!

I feel like I walked into the lion's den and emerged without a scratch...in no-buy/beauty terms = went to TJ Maxx to get socks for my hubby and didn't buy a single thing for myself!!!! I even ventured into all my "danger" zones ... clearance area, beauty and bath, PURSES. Oooh boy did they have good stuff. But I stayed strong! This no-buy has turned into a game for me, of sorts. I'm having fun with it, in a sick way :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Also, convo re: books. Try your local library, too! I'm a dedicated lifelong bookworm but buying books just got too expensive/hoard-y for me. I'm constantly at the library and even though sometimes I have to wait, I have a constant stream of books around.

I bought four nail polishes from the new essence launch that were on my trend edition shopping list (in other parts of the world, they were trend edition polishes, but they were apparently rolled out last week as new additions to the permanent collection in my neck of the woods), and that was it!  Well, okay, I also bought garbage bags, a garbage can, new earbuds, stuff for dinner, and clothes hangers.  But as far as makeup goes, nothing else!  Just the four things on my allowed list!  And there were actually several more things on there that I decided against once I saw them live and in-person, so I get bonus points for that, right?

ETA:  I'm locking down the no-buy on hair stuff to no-acquisition, period.  In addition to not buying any shampoo/conditioner/mask/etc., I can't use Birchbox points or swap for hair stuff.  I just went through my serum/oil/conditioner stash, and the *unopened* stuff fills my Sephora sun kit bag.  I still have probably half a dozen things -- samples and full-sized -- that I've started to use.  The only way I can get new hair stuff between now and the end of the year (or until I run out, but I doubt that will happen before the end of the year) is if a subscription box sends it -- and since my likely-to-send-hair-product subs are down to Birchbox, ipsy, and PopSugar, I shouldn't be horribly overrun by hair product samples.  Oh, wait, Sephora samples are okay, too, but those have to be freebies like in a GWP bag or pick-three-free-samples-with-your-order, not stuff you get in exchange for points.

There's nothing like a good beauty re-org to recommit to my no-buy.  I  needed to re-organize my samples and extras since I got a bunch of new products in July and August.  

One box for all my extra eye stuff - 9 mascaras & three Sephora eyeshadows.  

Another box contains ziplock baggies of samples based on product type - 9 SPFs/moisturizers, 4 hand creams, 9 BB creams/tinted moisturizers, 3 face masks, 14 face cleansers, 6 face wipes.  

Third box has an array of extra lip glosses, oils, eye creams, illuminating creams, finishing powders, etc.  

The fourth box (the dallas shaw) is full of miscellaneous foils that I'm not quite sure what to do with.

It will probably be good for me to cut off one of my box subscriptions given how many samples of basics I've stock piled.  I also have a separate shelf on my product stand for full-sized soaps, body butters, shampoos, and face care sets.

Next time I'm tempted to buy, I'll shop my boxes first!  Since my product shelves are overflowing, these boxed samples will go under the bed.  

This is all extras to my regular rotation.  I have three boxes full of products I use day-to-day - one full of cheek and eye palettes, another box of skin care stuff, and a third box full of lip products.  

i cheated -- I placed 2 $6 bb orders to get that shampoo. To be fair, I have no shampoo and I've been working through my shampoo sample/travel sized stash! I plan on continuing on that route before breaking into my new shampoo. 

I got my Enchante Polish order today. I'm okay with this purchase. It's one of my orders I'm okay with because it meets all three of my big questions to ask on a low buy (do you need this? do you need this NOW? if you don't buy this NOW will you lose all opportunity in the future? and it's yes to all three)

I'm less enthusiastic than I thought I would be. I definitely had some euphoria opening my package and checking it out, but I think i've officially reached polish zen. There's always going to be more polish I want, but I think I can mostly stop myself now to like 1 polish every 2-3 months now. I mean EP was my ultimate lemming and I got it and was like... okay. *shrugs*

alternatively it's because I spent 6.5 hours commuting today. That's more time than I spent at work (6, sigh). I'm working from home for the next forseeable few months, but I promised to come in one day a week and let's say it's not pretty. LOL I don't have the energy to be enthusiastic

Thank you all for all of the amazing suggestions on dealing with stress-shopping! I found them all really helpful! 
heart.gif

I posted about this in another section, but I guess the universe was trying to give me a "head start" on the stress shopping prevention front. A bit of a funny for all of you: I recently placed an order during ZOYA's BOGO sale on nail polish. (Something that was not on my list!). Well, I got so excited to check the status of my order the other morning that I accidentely clicked the "Cancel Order" button, instead of the back button! Oops! As soon as I realized what I had done, I tried to add the items in my cart again and use the promo code...but it had expired!!! No!!! (See, God does have a sense of humor I suppose!). I tried emailing and calling to see if they could still honor the previous order at the sale price, but they weren't able to, so I wound up not getting anything from the sale (I refuse to pay full price). So, even though I really wanted the polish, I guess it was for the best for right now and a good lesson. Instead of impulse buying polish, the next time a good sale comes along, I will have thought on what I want for a while, budgeted for it, and planned ahead. So, I think this was a funny blessing in disguise! 
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by jmd252 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went through a horrible breakup two years ago, and around the same time I lost a good deal of weight (unrelated to the breakup). My stress shopping at that time primarily revolved around clothing - the mall was a way for me to get out of the house and shopping made me feel beautiful - all the things I could never wear when I was heavier I started buying - in large quantities. It got a little out of control, though, and my closet slowly started to fill up and my wallet was consistently empty (which then depressed me and made me more sad than I was before the shopping, because I felt "stuck" in my parents house with a crap ton of debt and no money). I realized what I really needed was to find something to focus my energy on and occupy my time. I started going to the gym (sounds like that may not be an option for you right now, but maybe in the future? Even a slow walk or hike is relaxing sometimes), budgeting (which sounds dreadful but actually turned out to be a lot of fun for me - bring on the spreadsheets!), and selling my old clothes or things I no longer needed on Ebay. That part really filled my shopping hole because I got the thrill of seeing an item change hands while I made money and cleaned out my clutter. If you are home/bed bound, you might enjoy selling some old things online. Another suggestion is to take on some sort of craft project. You could knit or crochet (starts out kind of slow but once you make something it's really fun and it takes a lot of time to finish a project which is nice), make jewelry, sew - there are literally so many options and the projects take a while so they keep you busy and allow you the excitement of having something new. You could even focus on making gifts for the holidays - they are only a few months away. There are a ton of tutorials on Youtube and Pintrest!

I also like you idea of reading. I can get lost in a good book so easily, and literally have shelves full because I love to read. I'd be willing to bet that there are websites or groups for swapping books that could also help you satisfy the desire to get something "new" without spending money!

I hope you are feeling better and past your medical issues, soon! I had surgery earlier this year (nothing serious) so I understand how hard it is to sit around sometimes, but I hope some of these ideas help :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thank you for all of the awesome suggestions! They were just what I needed! 
heart.gif

I really adore the idea of a book swap! I actually do that on occassion with my older cousin; we will definitely have to do that again soon! I've been introduced to a lot of new books I wound up loving that way without spending a dime, and so has he! 

One thing I've really gotten into lately in an attempt to try and control our grocery bill has been container gardening. I've been growing a few small things here and there, in the hopes of planting a large garden this spring. (I love the idea of having my own organic foods anytime I want to cook!) I'm also planning to give canning a try for soups, jams, sauces, etc. I think it would be a great way to cut our grocery bill a bit, and have healthy meals ready to eat....especially on days when I'm just not able to really cook much. So, I've been focusing some positive energy on that lately, and can't wait to try more recipes, etc! 

I actually used to crochet when I was younger just for fun. You've just inspired me to give it a try again! I think I even have yarn and needles somewhere if I can find them! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Gives me plenty of time to work on Christmas projects. Thanks for being so supportive and kind! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

It definitely gets hard sitting at home sometimes, especially since I'm a pretty social person; it makes you feel a bit isolated, but thankfully this website has a lot of warm, awesome members that make you feel more at ease! There's something called, "The Spoon Theory" (google it) that really sums up how my day to day life is sometimes, and helps me stay a bit positive.  I'm having a CT scan later today, and then some tests and biopsies on Wednesday, so I'm trying to convince myself that every test I have done, I'm one step closer to an answer, feeling better, and getting back to my normal activities! In the mean time though, support like this has been really helpful and the suggestions will help keep me occupied while I heal up. 

Speaking of budgeting and reading, this is a pretty good book to occupy your time! http://www.amazon.com/Will-Teach-You-To-Rich/dp/0761147489 It actually gives really sound budgeting and financial advice about saving, paying off credit card debt, and future outlook towards retirement. And unlike a lot of financial book, you can do it even if you don't work or make much money. Best of all, he doesn't shame you for (expensive!!!) hobbies, but rather encourages it -- as a part of reframing it as a way to make of how you can see yourself as rich. He even talked about a friend with a really expensive shoe hobby (he said something like she spent $2000-3000 a year on like 10-12 pairs of shoes or something) so you can definitely trust he won't make you feel bad about a makeup hobby.

I mean, I've always been a mostly practical and frugal person, so this whole makeup splurge thing is really new to me. But based on his advice, I switched banks and as a result have earned more than $50 this year in interest alone as opposed to like... $3 -- and believe me when I say I'm a recent college grad without much money in my bank account and am underemployed XD;;

He's actually most of the reason I pretty much stopped buying drugstore makeup. I realized I would rather save it towards a product I really loved rather than have a bunch of cheap products I let sit there. Other than what something gets a good review from Temptalia, I usually don't buy it now :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's saved me sooo much money that way
Thank you!! Adding that book to my next Amazon order! It sounds like a really positive, practical way to budget, and I'd love to learn some helpful new things that will help keep my wallet a little more happy! 

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lydia Nichole, my mom is the biggest stress shopper ever.  She channels it by buying exclusively from thrift stores, so she doesn't wind up spending very much money.

Sorry to hear about the medical stuff.  Are you allowed to take baths at the moment?  If so, when you feel the urge for shopping, you could take a bath, which would relax you and keep you away from the computer, and possibly even help you use up some bath/beauty products.  Otherwise, reading is always a good option.  If you are good at a craft like knitting or embroidery, that's an option too.  Something that sometimes helps me is doing jigsaw puzzles--you can do them online so you don't have tons of little pieces to get lost all over your apartment, and it will keep you busy and channel your stress so you don't shop.  It is also something you can do while on bedrest.
I would get along well with your mom lol! I adore our local Goodwill, and love a good yard sale! Sometimes I'll go four or five times and bring home nothing...but the one time I go and find something I adore...it's worth it! I love finding little treasures that add to the character of my home! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I can take baths, thankfully! I love unwinding with a good bath, music, and candles! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've been baths lately because of the hot weather, but now that it's cooling down, I should definitely start taking them more often in place of showers. They really do help mellow me out and relax me!

I don't think I even own a puzzle! I will have to pick a fun one up! (I'm sure my cats will enjoy stealing the pieces and making a game of it too! Kojak is always stealing my house keys and hiding them in his cat tree lol!)

LydiaNicole, Zoya pretty frequently has deals. They're not always BOGOs, but I think Zoya will probably have at least one BOGO before the end of the year (and possibly with FS for less polishes even!)

Another thing you can do is think of a long term goal -- like a vacay or something really expensive that you think you'd never be able to save up for. Create a new bank account and whenever you get a splurge impulse, transfer the amount you were going to spend into that account and think about your vacation that you will be on 8) It's delayed gratification, but one of the best parts about shopping online IS delayed gratification. There is nothing nearly as great as the anticipation of getting something -- more than actually having something.

Hope I don't jinx myself.  I'm so happy with myself.  The only money I've spent in August is the $10 for my Ipsy bag. 

Originally Posted by digitalgrrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hope I don't jinx myself.  I'm so happy with myself.  The only money I've spent in August is the $10 for my Ipsy bag. 
Way to go! Keep it up...only two more days! You can do it! 
beer.gif

LydiaNicole, Zoya pretty frequently has deals. They're not always BOGOs, but I think Zoya will probably have at least one BOGO before the end of the year (and possibly with FS for less polishes even!)

Another thing you can do is think of a long term goal -- like a vacay or something really expensive that you think you'd never be able to save up for. Create a new bank account and whenever you get a splurge impulse, transfer the amount you were going to spend into that account and think about your vacation that you will be on 8) It's delayed gratification, but one of the best parts about shopping online IS delayed gratification. There is nothing nearly as great as the anticipation of getting something -- more than actually having something.
I'm glad to hear that about Zoya! Even though I'm a little sad I wasn't able to get my order, I am still really looking forward to their next BOGO Sale, and think it's good in a way, because by then I will have a list of what I truly want, will have thought on it, saved, and it won't be an impulse buy! So, blessing in disguise! 
smile.gif

Ohh that is a great idea about saving for a long term goal! (I've been so sick lately that I honestly didn't even want to plan ahead for trips/goals like that because it's a bit out of the question, BUT I can definitely plan for something on a smaller scale that will give me something to look forward to!)  When my health improves a bit, I will be adding a third working puppy (Therapy work) to my pack in a few months. (I train and work with therapy dogs that visit hospitals/nursing homes/schools/etc, when I'm not so sickly like I am at the moment now. Hopefully in a few months I'll feel well enough to take on another pup and start working with her. It'd definitely be nice to set some money aside for what she will need, and it will give me something positive to look forward to and to work towards! 
heart.gif

Originally Posted by digitalgrrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great job!!! 
ura.gif

Is anybody continuing their no buy past August?  I'm on a no-buy right now and am trying to finish up a project 10 pan.  The longest I've gone without buying any makeup or beauty products was 2 months.  I'm hoping to go a lot longer than that.  These are the products I am trying to finish:

1.  Joico Body Luxe Thickening Elixer (1/2 left)
2.  Sally Hansen Cracked Heel Repair (full)
3.  Essence of Beauty Sunblossom Shower Gel
     (3/4 left)
4.  Essence of Beauty Sunblossom Lotion (1/2 left)
5.  Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser (1/2 left)
6.  Renpure Organics Volumizing Shampoo (1/4 left)
7.  Renpure Organics Moisturizing Conditioner (3/4
     left)
8.  Organix Nourishing Coconut Split End Mender
    (1/8 left) 
9.  Organix Ever Radiant Coconut Milk, Frangipani
     Radiance Mask (1/2 left)
10.  Coola Classic Sunscreen, Coola Mineral
       Sunscreen (tinted moisturizer), Pacifica Alight
       Multi-Mineral BB Cream, G-1 Boys & Girls
       Regulating Moisturizing, Matifying Face Cream -
       all sample sizes

If you want to watch my progress I'm blogging to help hold myself more accountable.

~Rhonda

{blog link removed}

I always find the worst thing is just browsing a store when I have spare time and buying the odd thing that ends up costing lots over a month! I think a budget can be really useful.

Some time ago I actually started subscribing to an online service where I pay monthly for products to be delivered and I make sure I don't spend much on top of it. It seems to have kept my budget down over a few months.

Tamsin

(removed link per TOS -magicalmom)

Back