August 2013 No Buy/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walgreens is making this really easy:  They are officially on my no-buy list for anything because they have been lying to me for almost six months over a silly beauty box giveaway.  If you're out, just say that.  Don't tell me to be patient and that "We are busy preparing your box now."  When I email you to see just what is going on, respond to my emails.  Don't let me stew and escalate to the point where I call your customer service line, get pissed when my real issue -- being lied to for almost *six months* -- is ignored, and demand to speak to your supervisor.  If I'm mad enough to actually *call*, things are going to get ugly, especially if I'm so unsatisfied that I escalate.  I hate using the phone and will only use it when pushed to my limit.  I think this is the first time I have ever insisted on talking to a manager.  It's sad for them, too, because my bus home stops right in front of their store, and I was always popping in for snacks, gum, allergy meds, makeup, you name it.  

I am officially putting myself on a no buy . Well , only my Ipsy subscription which I refuse to cancel because I don't want to be on the wait list. But that doesn't count right ? :) Yesterday I received the NARS light reflecting pressed powder , I have an Ulta order including the Lorac Pro palette , and I caved and ordered Makeupforever's Mat Velvet + , which I must say is my new possible HG foundation. This is a very expensive "addiction" to have and I can no longer afford it. I officially start my no buy today , even if i have to scrape the last powder , or drop of foundation .

Well, I was pretty successful. I was so tempted to by this QVC set that came across my email because it was a good deal. But, even though it was...I just don't NEED anything. And when I do need something, I'm pretty sure that I'll find a good deal for whatever it is, lol.

For those who do low buy, what's your low buy rules?
If its a staple that either 1) I'm going to run out of within the month, or 2) is on a serious sale (like 50%) and I will run out of it in the next 2-3 months. But that means staples like mascara or moisturizer and I have no replacements available. (Like, not I just ran out of one color or finish. I have powder foundation but wish I had liquid? Too damn bad.) What separates this from a no buy is that I occasionally see a non-staple that I have wanted for quite a while at a great price and have nothing similar. Like I always wanted UD's Ransom eyeliner and now it's $6, and I have nothing even close to it. It's allowed.

OK, I have managed to buy only BB cream to replace what I am out of, and makeup remover to replace what I will run out of tonight or tomorrow.  I still have not bought nail polish remover, although I am about to, as I am about to run out of it.  So far so good.

BUT I have a cart full of $75 worth of perfume decants/samples because of a great sale...  I haven't hit charge yet, but want to.  Talk me out of this, please?

Low buy is a little harder for me than no-buy.  When I can buy a bit, then I get tempted to buy more.  When I can't buy anything, I lose interest a little.

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OK, I have managed to buy only BB cream to replace what I am out of, and makeup remover to replace what I will run out of tonight or tomorrow.  I still have not bought nail polish remover, although I am about to, as I am about to run out of it.  So far so good.

BUT I have a cart full of $75 worth of perfume decants/samples because of a great sale...  I haven't hit charge yet, but want to.  Talk me out of this, please?

Low buy is a little harder for me than no-buy.  When I can buy a bit, then I get tempted to buy more.  When I can't buy anything, I lose interest a little.
1) Do you need this?

2) Do you need this RIGHT NOW?

3) If you don't buy this RIGHT NOW would you lose all future opportunities of buying this? 
biggrin.gif

The annual Festival of Walletgeddon is about to commence in just a week or two. If you get these now, that will mean that much less money you will have for the first wave!

Since you are low-nuy, is there a way to narrow down to let's say, a third of the price? Would you be as interested in them if it wasn't the price? Would you be able to not buy them if they weren't reduced in price? Do you need them right now or can you also wait fo rthe next sale?

omfg guys I am coming here to confess that I am the worst. I don't deserve to have started this thread

I went to Marshalls and walked out with two ChG and an S!OPI top coat.

IN MY DEFENSE the ChG were holos that have an MSRP of $14 are on sale at sally's for $5 and i snagged them for $3 but I don't even really like holos as much as other people. I just have polish hoarding tendencies. BUT THE POINT IS I SPENT I NOW HAVE LIKE 50+ BOTTLES OF UNTRIED POLISH. Time to order some nail wheels from amazon...

I was doing well this summer too... with only purchasing Julep from that GC I had.... suddenly in one month I've amassed another 11 polishes. (no regrets on the Enchanted Polish at least)

I'm trying hard to avoid a nail polish sale. So many pretty colors BOGO but I must hold strong. *sigh*

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm trying hard to avoid a nail polish sale. So many pretty colors BOGO but I must hold strong. *sigh*
Do you have polishes in your own collection that you haven't worn yet?

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good question from sleepykat :)

My best avoidance technique is to do something else - delete the email or toss the sale flyer, grab a friend or hubby and see a movie or take a walk, etc.

I've missed many sales because I forgot about them. I will also add that I passed on many great sales the past couple of months and surprisingly, I don't have any regrets (I really thought I would).  

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The annual Festival of Walletgeddon is about to commence in just a week or two. If you get these now, that will mean that much less money you will have for the first wave!
I love this.

My strategy is: Do I need it? No? Okay so dont buy it.

I should probably explain "Festival of Walletgeddon":  There's a certain indie perfume oil company that has *huge* seasonal collections three times a year (as well as smaller collections throughout the year):  Halloween (aka the Weenies, typically available late August to mid-November), Christmas (aka Yules, typically available...  October, I think, through mid-January), and Valentine's Day (aka Lupercalia aka Lupes, mid-January through March).  And by "huge," I mean typically around fifty oils or so per collection.  And this company has a sizable cult following, and there are a lot of people who try to GET THEM ALL.  This is Armageddon, except for budgets, hence Walletgeddon (I think I actually take the blame for making that word up, unlike "clown prostitute," which I stole from a local podcaster who also loves blush).  And since it's not just *one* huge collection of fifty oils but *three* huge collections typically totaling over 150 oils over a series of months, it's a Festival.  Oh, and this year, we're anxiously awaiting the return of what was an unfinished behemoth collection, but this time, we'll get the whole thing, so there's probably another 150 oils.  Even if you just get decants, those are usually around $4.50 a pop.  I used to do a lot of decanting (before I got stuck with dozens of bottles from last year's Weenies that no one is interested in), and it's not unusual for people to spend over a hundred bucks just on decants to test and see what they want to buy full bottles of.

And we can translate this to makeup:  Right now is when Halloween stuff comes out (I saw the first wave at Rite-Aid a few days ago), which tends to result in a lot of limited edition holiday purchases at drugstores and mass market merchandisers like Target -- and then winter holiday collections will be rolling out at Sephora and Ulta starting probably next month, which will lead to another round of purchasing, and then there's Black Friday, and then there's the inevitable last-minute scramble for the perfect lipstick/polish/eyeliner for one particular outfit for a party, and then there's last-minute shopping for presents, and *then* there are post-Christmas sales.  So.  Yeah.  Festival of Walletgeddon applies here, too.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

omfg guys I am coming here to confess that I am the worst. I don't deserve to have started this thread

IN MY DEFENSE the ChG were holos that have an MSRP of $14 are on sale at sally's for $5 and i snagged them for $3 but I don't even really like holos as much as other people. I just have polish hoarding tendencies. BUT THE POINT IS I SPENT I NOW HAVE LIKE 50+ BOTTLES OF UNTRIED POLISH. Time to order some nail wheels from amazon...

I was doing well this summer too... with only purchasing Julep from that GC I had.... suddenly in one month I've amassed another 11 polishes. (no regrets on the Enchanted Polish at least)
You write the way I speak in my head. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks everyone, so far, I still haven't purchased those perfumes. I can leave them in my cart and if I'm still thinking about them in a week, I can re-visit.

Kyuu, don't be so hard on yourself.  Self shaming and self punishing won't un-buy the polishes, it'll just make you feel even worse.  Try again tomorrow, and test out what you got.  

HELP! 
icon_neutral.gif
 Someone please, please tell me that I'm not the only one who stress- shops?! 
unsure.gif

Confession:  If things are going well, I can typically forget about shopping and just go about my normal routine, enjoying things and being super happy! As soon as I get stressed out though, I tend to want to walk around...and into a makeup isle...... or unwind online...right into a makeup website! I've had some major, major medical things going on lately that are a bit life-altering, and really debilitating at the moment. I've pretty much had to delay much of what I really love and enjoy doing as far as activities go, because of medical issues right now. I've noticed myself using makeup as my way of coping. Even if I don't feel well enough to leave the house some days,  I can sit and put makeup on, and it instantly makes me feel better about myself and gives me a nice "pick me up".  That's definitely not a good, nor healthy habit though, and I need to stop the stress shopping and stick to a list.  (Medical bills + makeup I didn't budget for = my wallet isn't happy!). When I went to Target earlier today to pick up some things for upcoming medical test/hospital trip this week, I did the whole "stress shopping" thing and wound up purchasing a new nail polish and an eyeliner. The problem? Eyeliner (even though I used a coupon) and nailpolish were NOT on my list. To make matters worse, the other night I partook in the Zoya BOGO sale...ummm I did NOT need more polish!  It was just pretty, shiny, and distracting! I think that's the point of stress related shopping: distracting yourself from things.  

So yeah, I need a bit of a shopping intervention! Do any of you beauties have tips on coping with stress shopping? I should maybe post on this forum every single time I'm tempted to buy something that's not on my list! / Tonight, I tried to think of a better way to handle things a bit, so  I picked up a few positive books to read and distract myself with for the upcoming week, when I went to the bookstore. I thought that might help me pass up any more stress shopping I'm tempted to do this week. Every time I'm tempted to shop, just pick up a nice, light-hearted book instead! (I noticed that it worked last week when I saw the doctor and took a funny book along with me. Instead of wanted to immediately go to Target/etc after I left, I went home and read more of my book instead because it distracted me and put me in a better mood.)

Any other tips/ideas though? I'm a bit limited with what I can do for the next little while, (pretty much bed/home bound this coming week) so I mainly need to keep myself away from online sales/etc. (Thankfully, gmail has separated all of the promotional sale emails, so I'm  trying to just avoid that email folder all together.) Are there any other websites you beauties enjoy carousing that aren't so tempting on the wallet? Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance! 
heart.gif

Don't do it!!!! I've failed miserably at this low-buy this month, but tomorrow is a fresh start, try to resist! I am the exact same as you. When I put myself on a strict no-buy, I can push through and not purchase that particular item on my no-buy list. I proved that to myself during Lint when I gave up nailpolish. When I allow myself a low-buy though, I tend to not set limits, and one thing leads to another, and a cart full later....you know! 

1) Do you need this?

2) Do you need this RIGHT NOW?

3) If you don't buy this RIGHT NOW would you lose all future opportunities of buying this? 
biggrin.gif
I need to put this at the TOP of my little shopping list I keep on my cell phone, and remind myself of that every time I go into Target, Walgreens, online, etc! 

I need to be put in the corner in time out!
eusa_naughty.gif
 I got so excited over the ZOYA BOGO sale email I got the other day that I placed an order, and even mentioned it in the coupon section so other polish junkies could partake in the fun too!
redface.gif
  What is it with nail polish!??! I swear it has some sort of magic to it that makes you just want to buy things! I'm ashamed to admit that not only did I order off of the ZOYA BOGO sale last night, I also picked up one holo nail polish while I was in Target. (I picked it up as soon as I saw it and walked around the store with it in the basket for an hour deciding on if I need it. OK, I actually put three different colors in the basket, but talked myself out of the other two, and figured it was ok if I just got the limited edition one I really loved, right?! See, that's how they get you with the limited edition colors! I really didn't need any more polish though, especially not with more that will be arriving this week. I tend to stress shop, and makeup is my "drug" of choice. 
icon_redface.gif

Quote:

I need your willpower! I've already done way too much nail polish shopping lately. I know I can go without buying it...I gave up nail polish back in the Spring for Lint and did so well when I made it an absolute no-buy option (I even stretched it past Lint, and into late Spring because I had gotten into the habit of not letting myself look at the polishes. Once those Summer collections rolled around though, that went straight out the window, especially since I remembered I was "allowed" to buy polishes again! I think it's too tempting for me when things that are on my wishlist are BOGO or on sale...it just is too hard to resist buying multiple polishes if I know I'm on a "low-buy". I'm going to have to just put myself on a strict "no-buy" for nail polishes! I'm also thinking buying some color wheels and swatching everything will help me see all of the polishes I already own better, so I'm not as tempted to buy impulsively. 

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sadyes.gif
 I need to remind myself of that question every time I even think about looking at a new polish! 

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good question from sleepykat :)

My best avoidance technique is to do something else - delete the email or toss the sale flyer, grab a friend or hubby and see a movie or take a walk, etc.

I've missed many sales because I forgot about them. I will also add that I passed on many great sales the past couple of months and surprisingly, I don't have any regrets (I really thought I would).  
I need to try some of those avoidance techniques!  I shop when I'm stressed out/frustrated. I need to replace that with a book, walk with my dogs, tv with my boyfriend, etc. 

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I should probably explain "Festival of Walletgeddon":  There's a certain indie perfume oil company that has *huge* seasonal collections three times a year (as well as smaller collections throughout the year):  Halloween (aka the Weenies, typically available late August to mid-November), Christmas (aka Yules, typically available...  October, I think, through mid-January), and Valentine's Day (aka Lupercalia aka Lupes, mid-January through March).  And by "huge," I mean typically around fifty oils or so per collection.  And this company has a sizable cult following, and there are a lot of people who try to GET THEM ALL.  This is Armageddon, except for budgets, hence Walletgeddon (I think I actually take the blame for making that word up, unlike "clown prostitute," which I stole from a local podcaster who also loves blush).  And since it's not just *one* huge collection of fifty oils but *three* huge collections typically totaling over 150 oils over a series of months, it's a Festival.  Oh, and this year, we're anxiously awaiting the return of what was an unfinished behemoth collection, but this time, we'll get the whole thing, so there's probably another 150 oils.  Even if you just get decants, those are usually around $4.50 a pop.  I used to do a lot of decanting (before I got stuck with dozens of bottles from last year's Weenies that no one is interested in), and it's not unusual for people to spend over a hundred bucks just on decants to test and see what they want to buy full bottles of.

And we can translate this to makeup:  Right now is when Halloween stuff comes out (I saw the first wave at Rite-Aid a few days ago), which tends to result in a lot of limited edition holiday purchases at drugstores and mass market merchandisers like Target -- and then winter holiday collections will be rolling out at Sephora and Ulta starting probably next month, which will lead to another round of purchasing, and then there's Black Friday, and then there's the inevitable last-minute scramble for the perfect lipstick/polish/eyeliner for one particular outfit for a party, and then there's last-minute shopping for presents, and *then* there are post-Christmas sales.  So.  Yeah.  Festival of Walletgeddon applies here, too.
This is the most glorious description I've ever heard!!!! 
rofl2.gif

Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HELP! 
icon_neutral.gif
 Someone please, please tell me that I'm not the only one who stress- shops?! 
unsure.gif

Confession:  If things are going well, I can typically forget about shopping and just go about my normal routine, enjoying things and being super happy! As soon as I get stressed out though, I tend to want to walk around...and into a makeup isle...... or unwind online...right into a makeup website! I've had some major, major medical things going on lately that are a bit life-altering, and really debilitating at the moment. I've pretty much had to delay much of what I really love and enjoy doing as far as activities go, because of medical issues right now. I've noticed myself using makeup as my way of coping. Even if I don't feel well enough to leave the house some days,  I can sit and put makeup on, and it instantly makes me feel better about myself and gives me a nice "pick me up".  That's definitely not a good, nor healthy habit though, and I need to stop the stress shopping and stick to a list.  (Medical bills + makeup I didn't budget for = my wallet isn't happy!). When I went to Target earlier today to pick up some things for upcoming medical test/hospital trip this week, I did the whole "stress shopping" thing and wound up purchasing a new nail polish and an eyeliner. The problem? Eyeliner (even though I used a coupon) and nailpolish were NOT on my list. To make matters worse, the other night I partook in the Zoya BOGO sale...ummm I did NOT need more polish!  It was just pretty, shiny, and distracting! I think that's the point of stress related shopping: distracting yourself from things.  

So yeah, I need a bit of a shopping intervention! Do any of you beauties have tips on coping with stress shopping? I should maybe post on this forum every single time I'm tempted to buy something that's not on my list! / Tonight, I tried to think of a better way to handle things a bit, so  I picked up a few positive books to read and distract myself with for the upcoming week, when I went to the bookstore. I thought that might help me pass up any more stress shopping I'm tempted to do this week. Every time I'm tempted to shop, just pick up a nice, light-hearted book instead! (I noticed that it worked last week when I saw the doctor and took a funny book along with me. Instead of wanted to immediately go to Target/etc after I left, I went home and read more of my book instead because it distracted me and put me in a better mood.)

Any other tips/ideas though? I'm a bit limited with what I can do for the next little while, (pretty much bed/home bound this coming week) so I mainly need to keep myself away from online sales/etc. (Thankfully, gmail has separated all of the promotional sale emails, so I'm  trying to just avoid that email folder all together.) Are there any other websites you beauties enjoy carousing that aren't so tempting on the wallet? Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance! 
heart.gif
I went through a horrible breakup two years ago, and around the same time I lost a good deal of weight (unrelated to the breakup). My stress shopping at that time primarily revolved around clothing - the mall was a way for me to get out of the house and shopping made me feel beautiful - all the things I could never wear when I was heavier I started buying - in large quantities. It got a little out of control, though, and my closet slowly started to fill up and my wallet was consistently empty (which then depressed me and made me more sad than I was before the shopping, because I felt "stuck" in my parents house with a crap ton of debt and no money). I realized what I really needed was to find something to focus my energy on and occupy my time. I started going to the gym (sounds like that may not be an option for you right now, but maybe in the future? Even a slow walk or hike is relaxing sometimes), budgeting (which sounds dreadful but actually turned out to be a lot of fun for me - bring on the spreadsheets!), and selling my old clothes or things I no longer needed on Ebay. That part really filled my shopping hole because I got the thrill of seeing an item change hands while I made money and cleaned out my clutter. If you are home/bed bound, you might enjoy selling some old things online. Another suggestion is to take on some sort of craft project. You could knit or crochet (starts out kind of slow but once you make something it's really fun and it takes a lot of time to finish a project which is nice), make jewelry, sew - there are literally so many options and the projects take a while so they keep you busy and allow you the excitement of having something new. You could even focus on making gifts for the holidays - they are only a few months away. There are a ton of tutorials on Youtube and Pintrest!

I also like you idea of reading. I can get lost in a good book so easily, and literally have shelves full because I love to read. I'd be willing to bet that there are websites or groups for swapping books that could also help you satisfy the desire to get something "new" without spending money!

I hope you are feeling better and past your medical issues, soon! I had surgery earlier this year (nothing serious) so I understand how hard it is to sit around sometimes, but I hope some of these ideas help :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by jmd252 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even a slow walk or hike is relaxing sometimes), budgeting (which sounds dreadful but actually turned out to be a lot of fun for me - bring on the spreadsheets!), and selling my old clothes or things I no longer needed on Ebay. [...]

I also like you idea of reading. I can get lost in a good book so easily, and literally have shelves full because I love to read. I'd be willing to bet that there are websites or groups for swapping books that could also help you satisfy the desire to get something "new" without spending money!

I hope you are feeling better and past your medical issues, soon! I had surgery earlier this year (nothing serious) so I understand how hard it is to sit around sometimes, but I hope some of these ideas help :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Speaking of budgeting and reading, this is a pretty good book to occupy your time! http://www.amazon.com/Will-Teach-You-To-Rich/dp/0761147489 It actually gives really sound budgeting and financial advice about saving, paying off credit card debt, and future outlook towards retirement. And unlike a lot of financial book, you can do it even if you don't work or make much money. Best of all, he doesn't shame you for (expensive!!!) hobbies, but rather encourages it -- as a part of reframing it as a way to make of how you can see yourself as rich. He even talked about a friend with a really expensive shoe hobby (he said something like she spent $2000-3000 a year on like 10-12 pairs of shoes or something) so you can definitely trust he won't make you feel bad about a makeup hobby.

I mean, I've always been a mostly practical and frugal person, so this whole makeup splurge thing is really new to me. But based on his advice, I switched banks and as a result have earned more than $50 this year in interest alone as opposed to like... $3 -- and believe me when I say I'm a recent college grad without much money in my bank account and am underemployed XD;;

He's actually most of the reason I pretty much stopped buying drugstore makeup. I realized I would rather save it towards a product I really loved rather than have a bunch of cheap products I let sit there. Other than what something gets a good review from Temptalia, I usually don't buy it now :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's saved me sooo much money that way

Lydia Nichole, my mom is the biggest stress shopper ever.  She channels it by buying exclusively from thrift stores, so she doesn't wind up spending very much money.

Sorry to hear about the medical stuff.  Are you allowed to take baths at the moment?  If so, when you feel the urge for shopping, you could take a bath, which would relax you and keep you away from the computer, and possibly even help you use up some bath/beauty products.  Otherwise, reading is always a good option.  If you are good at a craft like knitting or embroidery, that's an option too.  Something that sometimes helps me is doing jigsaw puzzles--you can do them online so you don't have tons of little pieces to get lost all over your apartment, and it will keep you busy and channel your stress so you don't shop.  It is also something you can do while on bedrest.

Back