August 2013 No Buy/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am jumping on the no-buy wagon. Not until Christmas but until November 17th -- My birthday. I have gone *crazy* buying makeup lately and I need to just go cold turkey. I am making a list of all my makeup and shopping my stash. I also go rid of a lot of stuff that I never, ever used (I'm talking years old) so I'm hoping to trim down my collection a little for the next three months and hopefully I won't go too crazy on my birthday haul LOL.

I've decided to inventory my entire makeup stash by doing one type of items each day because if I start trying to do them all in one go I'll just give up. Today I inventoried my foundations in excel, I'm thinking of doing concealers tomorrow and maybe bronzers too

Okay, I'm putting this here to make it official:  Now I'm on an eyeliner no-buy until the holiday sets (except essence trend editions, because those are always on the exception list for all products.  They rarely have eyeliner in the TEs, though, so I'm not really in any danger of getting eighteen essence TE eyeliners between now and the end of the year).  I placed a Sephora order last night (triple points!) for some UD discontinued pencils last night and a Marc Jacobs mini since they had it as a bonus points perk, except it now says "permanently out of stock," so I'm not sure whether I'll actually get it.  If I don't end up with it, not a big deal (as long as they give those points back to me) since I think it's a black liner, and I don't really use black liner, but I tested these things yesterday, and they have to practically be sandblasted off, so it would be good to use as a base for some of my more-dramatic loose pigments once fall gets rolling.

(And speaking of loose pigments, I haven't placed a Glamour Doll Eyes order in more than THREE WEEKS!  I think this is a record since I started collecting them.)

ETA:  And mascara.  No buying mascara, although I don't think I've bought any since 1988 (I didn't even use it until a month or two ago), so I'm not sure why I feel the need to put it on this list, but I will since I did find myself looking at some this afternoon.  I have seven unopened tubes from subscription boxes/GWPs/prizes/etc. right now (three of these just got added to the stash this month.  I'm starting to think that maybe I should use a new one each month just to use them up), and I'm not even really interested in the stuff.  I just use it to keep my eyeshadow in place.  It seems to act as a buffer to keep eyeshadow from drifting down under my eyes.

Proud of myself for avoiding  UD and Sephora online temptations. I haven't even looked at the sites. One day at a time. MAA (Makeup Addicts Anonymous  we needed a group name)

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay, I'm putting this here to make it official:  Now I'm on an eyeliner no-buy until the holiday sets (except essence trend editions, because those are always on the exception list for all products.  They rarely have eyeliner in the TEs, though, so I'm not really in any danger of getting eighteen essence TE eyeliners between now and the end of the year).  I placed a Sephora order last night (triple points!) for some UD discontinued pencils last night and a Marc Jacobs mini since they had it as a bonus points perk, except it now says "permanently out of stock," so I'm not sure whether I'll actually get it.  If I don't end up with it, not a big deal (as long as they give those points back to me) since I think it's a black liner, and I don't really use black liner, but I tested these things yesterday, and they have to practically be sandblasted off, so it would be good to use as a base for some of my more-dramatic loose pigments once fall gets rolling.

(And speaking of loose pigments, I haven't placed a Glamour Doll Eyes order in more than THREE WEEKS!  I think this is a record since I started collecting them.)

ETA:  And mascara.  No buying mascara, although I don't think I've bought any since 1988 (I didn't even use it until a month or two ago), so I'm not sure why I feel the need to put it on this list, but I will since I did find myself looking at some this afternoon.  I have seven unopened tubes from subscription boxes/GWPs/prizes/etc. right now (three of these just got added to the stash this month.  I'm starting to think that maybe I should use a new one each month just to use them up), and I'm not even really interested in the stuff.  I just use it to keep my eyeshadow in place.  It seems to act as a buffer to keep eyeshadow from drifting down under my eyes.
On the mascara: I have buckets of it. And I throw it out if it bothers my eyes, I can't remember when I opened it, or I know I opened it >2 months ago and haven't used it recently. Mascara samples must be incredibly cheap to make.

I really don't understand the love for mascara. I don't think my eyelashes are particularly long or amazing looking, but like, I don't obsess over nothing. Curling them is just fine, maybe a bit of mascara, I don't need to try 100 brands. It's not like eyeliner or lipstick or nail polish. Basically the only colours you'd want are brown or black.

In any case, I also have like 7-10 unopened tubes of mascara at this point. I just feel no need to buy them. It's all good to me. 

Use nail polish to put the month number on your mascara tube when you open it. You are supposed to toss it after 3 months, but I never have. When it gets dry or super gunky I toss it. However, if you get a cold, flu  etc. toss your mascara and toothbrush when you get well to be safe. (I'm germaphobic when it comes to illnesses)

Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Use nail polish to put the month number on your mascara tube when you open it. You are supposed to toss it after 3 months, but I never have. When it gets dry or super gunky I toss it. However, if you get a cold, flu  etc. toss your mascara and toothbrush when you get well to be safe. (I'm germaphobic when it comes to illnesses)
My approach:  Seasons are three months long.  Therefore, toss mascaras on the first Saturday after the first day of equinoxes and solstices.  It will make it easy for me to remember:  Am I getting a haircut (which I already have on a first-Saturday-after-the-first-day-of-a-season schedule)?  If so, out with the old and in with the new.  Toothbrushes (which I purchase in bulk from Costco) are also on this schedule.  I get colds so rarely that they're not really an issue (I have a lot of allergies, and I do have a bit of a sinus infection right now, but that's because I neglected taking certain drugs during a bad allergy time.  If you're congested, kids, take your decongestants so all that crud doesn't settle into your sinuses and breed!  I know this yet still didn't bother to take my medicine because I didn't think it was *that* bad).

That is a really great idea! I love the idea of switching things out on the first day of each season. Keeps you in tune with nature too!

Oh my goodness I just saw Temptalia's swatches of the new LE Mac lipsticks and I'm really into By Design. /o I don't have anything like it BUT I SHOULDN'T BUY MORE THINGS.  I don't NEED more things.

On the other hand I'm moving back home and my boss said I could move back home and telecommute 4 days a week (take the train into baltimore on friday or smth) so I'm just like.... guh.......... that's $400-500 I'm saving a month. u______u i shouldn't especially since I want next month's ipsy bag and a second birchbox to get another ruffian polish next month

I really don't understand the love for mascara. I don't think my eyelashes are particularly long or amazing looking, but like, I don't obsess over nothing. Curling them is just fine, maybe a bit of mascara, I don't need to try 100 brands. It's not like eyeliner or lipstick or nail polish. Basically the only colours you'd want are brown or black. In any case, I also have like 7-10 unopened tubes of mascara at this point. I just feel no need to buy them. It's all good to me. 
Lol, I use 3 different mascaras everyday. First a seperating one, then lengthening, and finish with a volumizing one. It works for me. Lately I'm into fiber mascaras. I think mascaras are all really different and they usually only do 1 thing well. I always use up my mascaras in 2-3 months and my faves are under $15 so I don't worry about it really. I never liked mascara samples though, seems like they dry out really fast and the shorter wands bug me.

I'm super nearsighted and wear glasses, so eyeliner does me many more favors than mascara. Hence this (which does not include my incoming order), and hence NO MORE EYELINER UNTIL THE HOLIDAY SETS (and even then, I shouldn't get any, but realistically, I know I will)
As of this time last year, this was my eyeliner collection in its entirety:
As a side note, while I was gathering these up, I found *another* mascara sample. ETA: Yeesh. I need to keep that photo on my phone and refer to it every time I'm contemplating more eyeliner. New plan: Nothing outside of my subs -- *at all*, with one exception -- until the holiday stuff. My exception: essence stuff. Normally, I would only allow trend edition stuff, but they just released a new batch of permanent stuff that I had put on my exception list, so I'll go ahead and allow a $20 essence spree now even though I just had one (for the Ticket to Paradise collection) last weekend. After that, it will be a $20/month essence limit, and that's it. I just keep buying this stuff and never manage to use anything more than five or six times! (And if I use up a GDE sample jar, it will get put on my list of jars to upgrade to full-size next year, but I won't get it *this* year. I'm actually thinking about going no-buy -- except for another OTM subscription because it's a sub, and it's a much more gradual building of the collection when you're just getting one a month -- on those until the end of the year because I just have so many that I have a hard time deciding which one to use nowadays!)

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really don't understand the love for mascara. I don't think my eyelashes are particularly long or amazing looking, but like, I don't obsess over nothing. Curling them is just fine, maybe a bit of mascara, I don't need to try 100 brands. It's not like eyeliner or lipstick or nail polish. Basically the only colours you'd want are brown or black.

In any case, I also have like 7-10 unopened tubes of mascara at this point. I just feel no need to buy them. It's all good to me. 
Your viewpoint is probably more reasonable than mine. However, as a mascara addict, I have a very different opinion. I like to try every different type of mascara. Sure, brown and black are the staple colors. I also have green, purple, and blue. Sometimes I want light fluffy lashes, sometimes crazy long, sometimes subtle and natural, sometimes thick and bold; I love the variety. That being said, I only open one at a time and use it until the texture changes (two or three months) and then switch to the next. Mascara definitely completes my look.

Oh my goodness I just saw Temptalia's swatches of the new LE Mac lipsticks and I'm really into By Design. /o I don't have anything like it BUT I SHOULDN'T BUY MORE THINGS.  I don't NEED more things.

On the other hand I'm moving back home and my boss said I could move back home and telecommute 4 days a week (take the train into baltimore on friday or smth) so I'm just like.... guh.......... that's $400-500 I'm saving a month. u______u i shouldn't especially since I want next month's ipsy bag and a second birchbox to get another ruffian polish next month
Temptalia can make you spend lots of money--her swatches are so fabulous! Thankfully, she seems honest, too, so she'll tell you if a gorgeous product applies like crap.

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your viewpoint is probably more reasonable than mine. However, as a mascara addict, I have a very different opinion. I like to try every different type of mascara. Sure, brown and black are the staple colors. I also have green, purple, and blue. Sometimes I want light fluffy lashes, sometimes crazy long, sometimes subtle and natural, sometimes thick and bold; I love the variety. That being said, I only open one at a time and use it until the texture changes (two or three months) and then switch to the next. Mascara definitely completes my look.
Sleepykat, I'm with you.  I'm not at all a mascara addict, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my colored mascara.  Someone will have to pry my blue out of my cold dead hands to get me to stop using it.  But for regular black mascara, I really like Benefit's They're Real.  

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm super nearsighted and wear glasses, so eyeliner does me many more favors than mascara. Hence this (which does not include my incoming order), and hence NO

MORE EYELINER UNTIL THE HOLIDAY SETS (and even then, I shouldn't get any, but realistically, I know I will)

As of this time last year, this was my eyeliner collection in its entirety:

As a side note, while I was gathering these up, I found *another* mascara sample.

ETA: Yeesh. I need to keep that photo on my phone and refer to it every time I'm contemplating more eyeliner. New plan: Nothing outside of my subs -- *at all*, with one exception -- until the holiday stuff. My exception: essence stuff. Normally, I would only allow trend edition stuff, but they just released a new batch of permanent stuff that I had put on my exception list, so I'll go ahead and allow a $20 essence spree now even though I just had one (for the Ticket to Paradise collection) last weekend. After that, it will be a $20/month essence limit, and that's it. I just keep buying this stuff and never manage to use anything more than five or six times!

(And if I use up a GDE sample jar, it will get put on my list of jars to upgrade to full-size next year, but I won't get it *this* year. I'm actually thinking about going no-buy -- except for another OTM subscription because it's a sub, and it's a much more gradual building of the collection when you're just getting one a month -- on those until the end of the year because I just have so many that I have a hard time deciding which one to use nowadays!)
Meaganola, this is so awesome to see.  I love eyeliner.  It's my favorite type of cosmetic hands down.  I don't have quite so many, but not too far off either. 

I can relate! I'm really into Feed Your Senses. I don't have anything quite like it either but I could just B2M stuff for a similar color. It doesn't even have special edition packaging, so I don't know why I want it. Ugh, stupid limited editions. I doubt I would be so excited about the color if it was permanent.

Ok, DEEP BREATH, Hello my name is Lori and I am a makeup addict, ok and skin care, and nail polish too. I MUST go on a very low buy (says the girl who placed an urban decay order last night). NO REALLY I have to. I am limiting myself to 1 Birchbox and 1 ipsy and only essentials like deodorant, toothpaste and such UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, no matter how good the coupon or sale. First of all I easily have enough product to last me 2 years, and second I want to stop all my fun but reckless spending and put my money toward a gastric bypass. So I have to be a really good girl until I do it and then get it paid off. Must ignore all coupons, GWP, taunts from Sephora VIB, may only purchase with Birchbox points and free shipping. Plus I really do want to use up my things before they start to spoil and I must take a deep breath and take the plunge!!!! Well at least I get 1 Birchbox and one Ipsy per month, that's something. But must put my health first. The doctor says I can get rid of my high blood pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea, plus I might be able to wear the clothes that I have stored away and used to fit. Must avoid temptation. Will read about what other people are buying LOL

Originally Posted by lorizav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, DEEP BREATH, Hello my name is Lori and I am a makeup addict, ok and skin care, and nail polish too. I MUST go on a very low buy (says the girl who placed an urban decay order last night). NO REALLY I have to. I am limiting myself to 1 Birchbox and 1 ipsy and only essentials like deodorant, toothpaste and such UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, no matter how good the coupon or sale. First of all I easily have enough product to last me 2 years, and second I want to stop all my fun but reckless spending and put my money toward a gastric bypass. So I have to be a really good girl until I do it and then get it paid off. Must ignore all coupons, GWP, taunts from Sephora VIB, may only purchase with Birchbox points and free shipping. Plus I really do want to use up my things before they start to spoil and I must take a deep breath and take the plunge!!!! Well at least I get 1 Birchbox and one Ipsy per month, that's something. But must put my health first. The doctor says I can get rid of my high blood pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea, plus I might be able to wear the clothes that I have stored away and used to fit. Must avoid temptation. Will read about what other people are buying LOL
It's such a great idea to have a purpose for the no-buy. Saving the money for your surgery is great motivation. I need to pick a reason for my no-buy...maybe I will be more successful. (Although, this month is the best I've done even with buying two things for myself).

Latest posts

Back