August 2013 No Buy/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit that my resistance to new makeup products is getting weak. I have not bought a single makeup product since the end of last year for my Project 75 Pan. I have been cleaning out my makeup products and I just find them... old. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of makeup products,I even have a box of unopened products but I am seriously itching to buy something new.

It also didn't help that Glossybox had a limited edition "Best of Britain" box coming out soon (which I missed out) and I am starting to question if I should continue with this project pan that might take me years to finish if it means I would miss out on a lot of things.

Maybe I should just break open the products in the box so it feels like I have brand new products in my routine?

Originally Posted by TheaC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I must admit that my resistance to new makeup products is getting weak. I have not bought a single makeup product since the end of last year for my Project 75 Pan. I have been cleaning out my makeup products and I just find them... old. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of makeup products,I even have a box of unopened products but I am seriously itching to buy something new.

It also didn't help that Glossybox had a limited edition "Best of Britain" box coming out soon (which I missed out) and I am starting to question if I should continue with this project pan that might take me years to finish if it means I would miss out on a lot of things.

Maybe I should just break open the products in the box so it feels like I have brand new products in my routine?
Definitely start on the unopened stuff! You may discover a new love. Perhaps assess if there are any products that you will not be using again and get rid of them. That way you're not looking at them and resenting them. If you get rid of them, I think that should count towards your 'pans'.

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Definitely start on the unopened stuff! You may discover a new love. Perhaps assess if there are any products that you will not be using again and get rid of them. That way you're not looking at them and resenting them. If you get rid of them, I think that should count towards your 'pans'.

Totally agree with this..especially getting rid of stuff you don't like. Ok you tried it, it didn't work out, it's past the time of being able to return. TOSS IT! why hold on to stuff that you don't enjoy and actually use?

Staying strong! I'm trying to convince myself that I should buy Sephora Favorites kits as Christmas presents and reap the benefits of 3x points and get the sample bag for myself... I don't need another bag. I don't need more samples. Also, Christmas is far away and none of my peeps like make up anyway. Oops.

Staying strong! I'm trying to convince myself that I should buy Sephora Favorites kits as Christmas presents and reap the benefits of 3x points and get the sample bag for myself... I don't need another bag. I don't need more samples. Also, Christmas is far away and none of my peeps like make up anyway. Oops.
Do you really need the 3x points? All that will get you is more samples.

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe someone will get you makeup as presents.

I just spent three hours de-potting eyeshadows (first time trying it and I'm obsessed now). I highly recommend for no-buy inspiration!!! Gave me a much better idea of what I have, especially what I don't need more of - ahem, shimmery light brown shadow. And something about streamlining just feels good. Ready to finish out second half of no-buy August strong... Before:
After:

I am going to try to do no buy for the rest of the month. If I can do 2 weeks not buying anything... even nail polish, I'll try going a month. I convinced myself that I didn't have very much because I reorganized my makeup and it didn't look like much.. lol I have plenty.. more than I need. Does anyone "Pin" instead of shop online?

My hubby is my biggest enabler. He always tells me, ' love go ahead and spend money on your hobby'. 

I am going to try to do no buy for the rest of the month. If I can do 2 weeks not buying anything... even nail polish, I'll try going a month. I convinced myself that I didn't have very much because I reorganized my makeup and it didn't look like much.. lol I have plenty.. more than I need. Does anyone "Pin" instead of shop online? My hubby is my biggest enabler. He always tells me, ' love go ahead and spend money on your hobby'. 
I'll do a makeup no-buy with you the rest of the month! We can keep each other accountable! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Yesterday I ordered from Sephora (planned order, but I still need to cut back and use up more products.) My sweet boyfriend is the same way with enabling! I've had some serious medical things going on lately, and have been stress shopping to cope. He totally enables and encourages it because he knows it cheers me up. I need a different outlet though that doesn't involve my wallet lol! I definitely use Pinterest often for different way to channel my energy and to try DIY's out! 😊

I just spent three hours de-potting eyeshadows (first time trying it and I'm obsessed now). I highly recommend for no-buy inspiration!!! Gave me a much better idea of what I have, especially what I don't need more of - ahem, shimmery light brown shadow. And something about streamlining just feels good. Ready to finish out second half of no-buy August strong... Before:
After:
Great job! I recently depotted a lot of my makeup into zpalettes, and love it! It's so nice being able to organize everything into something where they won't get overlooked!

Maybe someone will get you makeup as presents.
I meant getting those kits as Christmas gifts for my sisters, etc. Lol everyone knows to give me sephora gift cards for any occasion ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm doing pretty good at holding back! Points don't mean a thing :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by birdiebijou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just spent three hours de-potting eyeshadows (first time trying it and I'm obsessed now). I highly recommend for no-buy inspiration!!! Gave me a much better idea of what I have, especially what I don't need more of - ahem, shimmery light brown shadow. And something about streamlining just feels good. Ready to finish out second half of no-buy August strong...

Before:

After:

I've always wanted to do this!  What are you using to keep the eyeshadows in place?

Magnetic tape - got it at Michael's for $1.99 - it's sticky on one side and magnetic on other. This project was ridiculously fun for me. I love having it all in one place. I have a few more shadows I'm going to try to depot - I have an NYC trio that would absolutely not budge - and need to get a separate palette for cream blush. I'm obsessed!!!

OK I slipped badly this month, but starting from today I have to do no buy until Christmas. If it doesn't come in a subscription box I don't get it. So here's my personal rules

Can Have : Subscription boxes, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, BB shop if paid entirely by points (nothing costing money)

Cannot: Buy any makeup, palettes, nail polishes, perfumes, non-essential grooming items

I have a huge stash of shampoos, conditioners, Paula's Choice bodywash, and makeup. I have got to use what I have and quit this insane spending!

I attempted a low buy in July and failed when I heard about the jouer 50% promo and because I was curious about ulta so I placed my first order. I'm staying strong this month though! I filled up a cart at sephora for the extra points but then realized I didn't need those things or the points. Hopefully I can continue this for the rest of the month. Being part of a circular swap is actually really helping, the things I want to buy I think I can find samples in the box and only pay shipping costs instead of the $50+ I would spend at sephora. 

Over half-way through the month!

I'd say I'm doing well.  I've averted more purchases than I thought I would lol.  I think it helps that I have sooo much dang stuff right now, when I really slow down and think about a purchase I want to make I realize I already have a dupe/similar item to what I would be buying.  That and I'm running out of room in my bathroom.  I did well swapping/selling stuff lately too, especially from the Allure Beauty box (which I only wanted about half of the contents). So far, I made a $50 purchase at Sephora for my bday gift (planned) and I bought 2 SH nail strips at Ulta on sale for $5.99 and used a coupon.  I still plan to use my $10 Ulta bday coupon (it's no exclusions so I want to use it on something good) but the only things I wanted were OOS when I went to use it.  I also decided I'm going to make a nail polish rack to hang in my closet so I see can everything I have and (maybe) get rid of a few similar colors.

Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OK I slipped badly this month, but starting from today I have to do no buy until Christmas. If it doesn't come in a subscription box I don't get it. So here's my personal rules

Can Have : Subscription boxes, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, BB shop if paid entirely by points (nothing costing money)

Cannot: Buy any makeup, palettes, nail polishes, perfumes, non-essential grooming items

I have a huge stash of shampoos, conditioners, Paula's Choice bodywash, and makeup. I have got to use what I have and quit this insane spending!
Hahaha, I thought I saw you on the EM Cosmetics thread!!!  I'm sure that new Life Palette will last you till Christmas! :-D  
eusa_naughty.gif

Those are very good goals - for me, sometimes the beauty experience is simply about getting things in the mail to try.  One thing that has helped curb my shopping is setting up trades with MUTers.  It doesn't have to be time intensive, and I've found some really good homes for the products that I know I'm not going to use before the end of this year (and found things that I will use daily).

Yup, those Life palettes sucked me in deep! My husband is thrilled I pledged a No-Buy until Christmas.... Black Friday/Cyber Monday he agreed would be an exception for gift buying.

Originally Posted by sparklegirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I attempted a low buy in July and failed when I heard about the jouer 50% promo and because I was curious about ulta so I placed my first order. I'm staying strong this month though! I filled up a cart at sephora for the extra points but then realized I didn't need those things or the points. Hopefully I can continue this for the rest of the month. Being part of a circular swap is actually really helping, the things I want to buy I think I can find samples in the box and only pay shipping costs instead of the $50+ I would spend at sephora. 
Big success! I love that feeling when you go to the cart, able to stop yourself and realize, hey I don't need this, what the heck am I doing?!

I'm impressed with everyone who's trying to no-buy through 'til X-mas!  Good luck everyone & I will be joining you soon!

Latest posts

Back