August 2013 No Buy/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh man me too.

I'm getting an extra of S!OPI Just a Little Dangerous even though I have one... my justification is no chance to get it again and it's only going to be $3!! Also it was literally my first "high end" polish ever -- really the official start of my collection, so it holds a special place in my heart ;;

Plus, it's a near perfect dupe for BL Pitter Patter which everyone has been  lusting over, at a fraction of the price! Who cares if I have over 200 polishes and am unlikely to ever finish the first JALD lol! If I do 5 years from now, I'd' want to have another!

[x]

Hilariously, I also have Tease-y Does It. QQ No more talk about stuff though. Crying
I've been lusting after BL's Pitter Patter! Now I want Sephora/OPI's Just a Little Dangerous.

Heading over to confess...
pfeif.gif

Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Heading over to confess...
pfeif.gif
I just had to go there as well. I really can not spend more money besides on bills and groceries this month. How many of you found it helpful to journal your inventory? did it make you use more of what you already have?

Originally Posted by Sunflowercake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just had to go there as well. I really can not spend more money besides on bills and groceries this month. How many of you found it helpful to journal your inventory? did it make you use more of what you already have?
I'm still in the process of adding stuff but I feel like it helped when I'm did my no-buy. I realized that I had eyeliners in colors that I don't even wear. After typing in all of my eyeliners I honestly do not want another eyeliner, especially if it's black or a pencil liner.

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still in the process of adding stuff but I feel like it helped when I'm did my no-buy. I realized that I had eyeliners in colors that I don't even wear. After typing in all of my eyeliners I honestly do not want another eyeliner, especially if it's black or a pencil liner.
I think that is helpful! I actually did order something today however they all were things I do not currently own. This weekend I want to sit down and make a list off all te makup and beauty items I have.

Originally Posted by Sunflowercake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that is helpful! I actually did order something today however they all were things I do not currently own. This weekend I want to sit down and make a list off all te makup and beauty items I have.
It's time consuming but worth it. I only brought 1 eyeliner since making my list - it was something totally different from what I already had. That's good considering one month I brought over 5 different eyeliners in the same color lol.

lol that's actually the point of the thread, not to talk about things we're going to get XD

Is it on sale right now? If no: then you can wait, because you have enough hair stuff. If yes: are there going to be sales in the future, or is this going to be the best sale they're ever going to have?

If you're going to buy it: Are you going to use it right away, or are you going to try and finish up your half empties (no goo hoarding!)? If not, it's just going to be another hair thing that's going to be sitting there waiting to be used... as opposed to money in your pocket ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If you're going to switch to this brand completely right away: what are you going to do with the products you already have?

Thoughts to keep you busy while you debate :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
These are all great points! Especially products not being on sale and already having half empties.

For me limited edition products are hard to resist, so I'd like to add that while a product might be limited edition and gone forever, chances are it's not actually unique. And even if there currently aren't any products just like it, there will probably be dupes in the future. Very few things are one-of-a-kind these days.

Originally Posted by CoachZenovia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the thread mauu! Will definitely be using and staying focused for our purpose here :). I'm still learning MUT so many thanks for being so gracious and pointing me in the right direction!!!
You're welcome! I hope the thread is helpful to us all. Although I'll do my best to avoid needing to post there, haha. I really need to start being stricter with my low-buy...

So I need someone to talk me out of buying the latest julep mystery box. I've been really good with nail polish lately. I skipped julep for the last 5 months and haven't bought any nailpolish in 3 months. I even finished off two bottles but for some reason I'm feeling the need to buy this box. It's a good thing I'm out of the country or I probably would have already ordered it. Someone give me reasons not to order it when I get back home on Monday

Originally Posted by GabiGirl67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I need someone to talk me out of buying the latest julep mystery box. I've been really good with nail polish lately. I skipped julep for the last 5 months and haven't bought any nailpolish in 3 months. I even finished off two bottles but for some reason I'm feeling the need to buy this box. It's a good thing I'm out of the country or I probably would have already ordered it. Someone give me reasons not to order it when I get back home on Monday
These boxes are usually stuff that hasn't been moving in the store.  I would advise you to check out the Julep mystery box contents (is there a mystery box-only thread?  I can't remember) and see what has been showing up.  Then make a wishlist and hit the swaps threads!  There are a lot of people who have been receiving dupes galore (or who just don't like a particular shade they received, dupe or not) who would *love* to swap for something else or maybe even sell at a much reduced price that would still cost you less than a mystery box would, and then you would be assured of getting exactly what you want.

What I always remind myself is: let the first wave of people take the hit XD In general, the mystery boxes tend to have similar contents per month, usually with similar products or sets of colours. Julep shipping is fast, so usually the first group of people have it within 2 business days, and the sale usually lasts at least 7 days. If you're DYING to have the contents, then go for it, but more often than not, I see the contents and think "Phew, glad I didn't bite the bullet!"

This might go either way but it works for me most of the time. Watch some YouTube videos on past mystery boxes and see if that'll help you decide either way. For me, i usually go 'oh wait, i don't really need that' 'those colors aren't that great'. I feel that julep trends to send out similar types of stuff in their mystery boxes. I think for mystery boxes, part of the fun is the mystery and the gamble. Usually if i see 1 or 2 great boxes and then like 10-12 meh boxes , I'm over the whole mystery appeal.

GabiGirl67, you have been super disciplined so far and it would be a shame to mess up that streak and regret it. When someone has been as focused as you have, they usually have some really awesome reason for being so focused. What helps me is writing out why I'm focused on a specific goal, such as a no-buy, and going back to review that reason when times get tough. So if you haven't already, write out all the reasons not to buy that box and maybe even what buying the box may be delaying for you...maybe a pros and cons list of if it's even worth it. You can do it! Stay strong ;-)

What I always remind myself is: let the first wave of people take the hit XD In general, the mystery boxes tend to have similar contents per month, usually with similar products or sets of colours. Julep shipping is fast, so usually the first group of people have it within 2 business days, and the sale usually lasts at least 7 days. If you're DYING to have the contents, then go for it, but more often than not, I see the contents and think "Phew, glad I didn't bite the bullet!"
This! The regular mystery boxes almost never sell out before spoilers start being posted. I was very tempted by the Summertime Mystery box, and was so glad I skipped once I saw the box varieties a few days afterwards. So just wait a little longer to see what's actually inside some of the boxes, and only then decide if you really need, or like the products enough to buy one.

Guys, someone help me! I've wanted OCC liptars for the LONGEST. TIME. seriously, every time I go to sephora I check them out. I complained on Sephora's FB page last year about how my store isnt respecting the product. They were just in the line/impulse section and the opened sample ones were exploding all over the NIB ones. My sephora has since gotten this little hanging lipstick holder for them. Strumpet is my favorite. But I know I need Clear to make it nice and primed. I don't want to spend $36 on lippies but I waaaannnaaaa. Plus, triple points!

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, someone help me!

I've wanted OCC liptars for the LONGEST. TIME. seriously, every time I go to sephora I check them out. I complained on Sephora's FB page last year about how my store isnt respecting the product. They were just in the line/impulse section and the opened sample ones were exploding all over the NIB ones. My sephora has since gotten this little hanging lipstick holder for them.

Strumpet is my favorite. But I know I need Clear to make it nice and primed. I don't want to spend $36 on lippies but I waaaannnaaaa. Plus, triple points!
Do you really want a lip product that requires you to use it with another product? Sounds like a lot of work - plus more money spent on the Clear lip tar. A product that needs another product to look good doesn't sound that great.

Remind yourself why you're on a no/low buy! You've come this far, do you really want to slip up now? Especially on a product that's a) not perfect and B) not even on sale. I'm sure there will be other triple point events in the future.  

Stay strong! 
smile.gif
 Concentrate on using up lip products in your stash. That way you can later get Strumpet with no regrets.

That's a good point! Obvi I've passed it up for a while now - with a sephora discount promo going on or not! Why go for it right now? Always gotta remind myself that extra points are not a discount!

Do you really want a lip product that requires you to use it with another product? Sounds like a lot of work - plus more money spent on the Clear lip tar. A product that needs another product to look good doesn't sound that great. Remind yourself why you're on a no/low buy! You've come this far, do you really want to slip up now? Especially on a product that's a) not perfect and B) not even on sale.  I'm sure there will be other triple point events in the future.   Stay strong! 
smile.gif
 Concentrate on using up lip products in your stash. That way you can later get Strumpet with no regrets.

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else lol'ing over enabling promo codes being shared in a no buy support thread :)
um, yes. hahah

So I'm going to end up taking a little kinda big break from my no buy for the 12th-13th but I knew I would but I promise not to buy the julep mystery box and I will probably just extend my no buy through the end of September. My no buy was never about the money in the first place, it's about making sure I use things up and get rid of/ return what I don't like and is wrong for me

So I'm going to end up taking a little kinda big break from my no buy for the 12th-13th but I knew I would but I promise not to buy the julep mystery box and I will probably just extend my no buy through the end of September. My no buy was never about the money in the first place, it's about making sure I use things up and get rid of/ return what I don't like and is wrong for me
I like Julep, but it's very overpriced. Check out what beautiful miniature (or full size) nail polishes you can get on etsy.com for that amount of money.

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like Julep, but it's very overpriced. Check out what beautiful miniature (or full size) nail polishes you can get on etsy.com for that amount of money.
It's just... Julep is easy. I think that's why they've been so successful. New polishes delivered into your mailbox for consideration every month? yes please. searching for brands takes time and consideration... plus shipping....

that being said, I really want to try rainbow honey. I'm glad it seems to be an indie brand gaining traction and their collections all seem to be super unique. I'll probably wait to around black friday/christmas (my birthday!!) to treat myself to an order though. (Also, I'm most likely delighted because she seems likely to be a fandom nerd... XD I can always get behind that)

Back