August 2013 No Buy/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am officially signing on this month for a very low/no buy month! July was completely out of control and now I have products coming out my ears.  There is literally nothing I will need this month and my student loan with the highest interest rate is seriously within arms reach of being paid off so I NEED to focus my efforts there.

Sleepykat, I agree- avoiding the emails helps.  I'm actually really liking how gmail now segregates "promotional" emails and I can just avoid that tab altogether now. 

So far I've avoided the Tarte sale, the Hautelook bags (only because I already had all the ones I wanted) and actually returned a few things I really never needed to begin with.  As soon as my Fall Allure box comes on Wed. I am immediately listing the stuff I dont want/wont use on ebay or in my Facebook swap groups.  I still have way too many monthly subs though, so I really need to make decisions on which ones I truly need.  GlitterDaze + Glitter Guilty + Bondi + Julep is way too many nail subs.  I am only 2 boxes away from a free box and after that Julep will be cancelled and I really think GlitterDaze will have to get axed for now just because between the two indie subs, I think Glitter Guilty has better formulas (and candy!).  I also plan to cancel Beauty Army this month (no downside to doing so, since I can re-sub anytime without a wait), and my second Ipsy bag until I get through some of the makeup I already have.  My other subs are pre-paid but Birchbox is up on November and I think I should start convincing myself now that I don't need to resubscribe right away.

It is my birthday on Sunday so the only thing I am allowing myself to get is the Fresh lip treatment set when I go to Sephora for my bday gift.  I also have $10 off anything bday gift for Ulta which I will definitely use (on something small!) but I dont know what yet.

So glad to report that I started my low-buy/no-buy on the right foot this month!  I spent waaaay too much money in July - it turns out that if I don't keep track of ALL of my personal care products in my spreadsheet, I will overindulge and buy products that aren't listed in my inventory.  That means, I'm adding eyeliners, lip glosses/lipsticks/balms, nail polish, and fragrance on my list of items to track.  Which makes me sad because it's going to take me hours to inventory all of those products since I have so many.

• My July Lows - I did get the Best of Haute Beauty Bags, theBalm, Urban Decay, and Burt's Bee's Summer Grab Bag.  I wanted, but didn't get, the Demeter Salty Air Fragrance from July Ipsy so I used the 20% code for four fragrances.  I also subscribed to Bondi, Pop Sugar Must Have, and Pop Sugar Must Have LE Fall Box.  
  • My July Highs - I skipped my August Julep Box, my July PopSugar box, I returned 6 products to Sephora, and made 5 trades which nearly got rid of a third of the items on my trade list!  

Last week I found out about Sephora's new VIB program called VIB Rouge, but you need to spend at least $1K to qualify.  At first I became obsessed with the idea of trying to qualify.  Slowly came to the realization that not only was this silly and unnecessary for me, but it goes against my no-buy/low-buy way of being right now.  

This weekend, I spent with friends in a cottage on the coast without internet and computer, so there was very little temptation to do online shopping.  I need to have more weekends like that since the makeup bandit steals my $ when I'm online and not with my friends.  

My friends and I have started to host monthly beauty and nail nights, where we do dinner, drinks, catch up, and spend time raving about our beauty hauls for the month while we do our nails.  It's been helpful to learn more about what products my friends have tried, what works for them/doesn't work, and we also trade samples that we didn't like from our boxes.  This helps me save money because it gives me a chance to hear some feedback/test a product that a friend has tried, instead of going onto Birchbox or Sephora to buy it directly.

That being said, there will be double, triple, and quadruple points earned on Sephora starting August 12th. Since I returned a lot of items last month, I'm giving myself $50 to spend if there is something I want.  Other than this and the beauty boxes I have coming, no more purchases for this month.  

Can't wait to share updates with folks as the month progresses - and good luck!

Originally Posted by casualconcern /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Continuing my low buy into this month. 

• Julep box (allowing upgrade only if I love all the colors - Sept. is my bday month!)
  • Birchbox
  • Any type of product I only have one of, and have used up (ie. I only have one concealer that might run out, and one dry shampoo, etc.)

I need to stay faaaar away from Sephora, both online and in person, lol.
Yay September birthdays!  

Ugh...why is this soooo hard! I almost placed an order at birchbox for a couple of the Discovery Dash items and a mystery pick two and just barely escaped with wallet intact, lol.

I remembered that I don't really need another nail polish (even if it does have diamond dust!) and I didn't like the last pick two I got so why subject myself to that again.

Sigh...

This no-buy thing is really tough with the Bondi box spoilers startin to pop up. I am reading the Bondi thread like a good novel haha. I went on the Bondi website to look at all the pretty colors but closed it efore I could order.

Originally Posted by Sunflowercake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This no-buy thing is really tough with the Bondi box spoilers startin to pop up. I am reading the Bondi thread like a good novel haha. I went on the Bondi website to look at all the pretty colors but closed it efore I could order.
I'm on the Bondi thread as well.  I actually ordered a 6 month Bondi Sub before my August no-buy.  My big big temptation was on the Julep thread when they had the golden mystery box and secret store sale.  I put everything in my basket and tried a couple of discount codes.  The codes had expired, so I justified not buying anything in my cart because I couldn't get the same deal that everyone else on the thread got.

Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ugh...why is this soooo hard! I almost placed an order at birchbox for a couple of the Discovery Dash items and a mystery pick two and just barely escaped with wallet intact, lol.

I remembered that I don't really need another nail polish (even if it does have diamond dust!) and I didn't like the last pick two I got so why subject myself to that again.

Sigh...
Me too, luckily fate intervened and it said the Pixi I had my cart was out of stock.  Stay strong! I wanted the polish too but the colors weren't really speaking to me and they arent really fall colors either so I think I'm better off with lame diamond dust free nails for now lol.

Me too, luckily fate intervened and it said the Pixi I had my cart was out of stock.  Stay strong! I wanted the polish too but the colors weren't really speaking to me and they arent really fall colors either so I think I'm better off with lame diamond dust free nails for now lol.
I have the blue Etoile polish. It is in fact lame diamond dust polish. You can barely see the sparkle. I spent points on it, and it's a pretty enough blue that I don't consider it a waste of points, but it would have been a waste of money. It's a big old "don't bother" from me.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the blue Etoile polish. It is in fact lame diamond dust polish. You can barely see the sparkle. I spent points on it, and it's a pretty enough blue that I don't consider it a waste of points, but it would have been a waste of money. It's a big old "don't bother" from me.
Good to know since that was the one I  had in my BB cart. Thanks!

Jumping in on this thread this month! Had a very large & unexpected bill come up that's due in September, so this month needs to be a very low buy. Allowing myself to subscribe for the Fall Fortune Cookie Soap Box, since the cut off is in August. Also picking up a few eyeliners from the UD sale & giving myself a few dollars for a Birchbox order if my points don't quite cover. So..like $50 for the month! Hard to resist HauteLook & Tarte's F&F sale, that's for sure!

Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good to know since that was the one I  had in my BB cart. Thanks!
Heh.  I figured this was an appropriate place for a talk-me-down!  

I have to put myself on a low buy for the next few months. School starts again soon and I just will not have the money to spend on extra makeup
violin.gif
(sad violin music). Hopefully I can just stick to the essentials!

I have over 20 polishes i've never even tried out yet. Mostly Julep. Yet I Bondi subbed as well. I'm going on a polish no buy the rest of this month...try out some colors I haven't used yet, sell whatever I'm not in love with, re-visit some other colors I do love. Gotta stop the madness!!

Originally Posted by CoachZenovia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have over 20 polishes i've never even tried out yet. Mostly Julep. Yet I Bondi subbed as well. I'm going on a polish no buy the rest of this month...try out some colors I haven't used yet, sell whatever I'm not in love with, re-visit some other colors I do love. Gotta stop the madness!!
I have seen your boxes on the Bondi thread -beautiful!! I gave away about 10 polishes I did not really use last month -3 of those I never even swatched. I really have to make a list of the polishes I love by company and colors and just stick with 3 companies and not buy others for a while. I always get sucked right back in by nail polish.

Quote: Originally Posted by CoachZenovia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have seen your boxes on the Bondi thread -beautiful!! I gave away about 10 polishes I did not really use last month -3 of those I never even swatched. I really have to make a list of the polishes I love by company and colors and just stick with 3 companies and not buy others for a while. I always get sucked right back in by nail polish.

I liked the idea of a nail swatch stick that was posted on either the Bondi or Julep forum.  That way if you know you don't like the color, you can put it in the sell/giveaway/trade pile.  I already have one of those for my monthly sub boxes.

I agree that the nail polish boxes are so tempting and addictive.  Last night I opened one of the nail polishes that I thought I hated (Lexie from Julep) and tried it on my fingers - I'm instantly in love.  MUCH BETTER to shop within your own collection of unopened bottles than shop online. :p

I liked the idea of a nail swatch stick that was posted on either the Bondi or Julep forum.  That way if you know you don't like the color, you can put it in the sell/giveaway/trade pile.  I already have one of those for my monthly sub boxes. I agree that the nail polish boxes are so tempting and addictive.  Last night I opened one of the nail polishes that I thought I hated (Lexie from Julep) and tried it on my fingers - I'm instantly in love.  MUCH BETTER to shop within your own collection of unopened bottles than shop online. :p
I've never heard of nail swatch sticks until you mentioned it and i just googled for some images. What a great idea!!

Aww thanks! I'm really happy with them---what's sad is that now there's that $10 off code richard sent...and I want to get at least my one color I've loved from the first time I saw it...and then there's another color and I'm like..but what if they cancel it!?!?! this is truly ridiculous lolol. Ive gotten most of my make up monster under control. The nail beast? I'm not sure what to do!! I will however definitely be narrowing down the colors i just do not love and listing them for sale somewhere. hopefully that's a smooth undertaking :)

Aww thanks! I'm really happy with them---what's sad is that now there's that $10 off code richard sent...and I want to get at least my one color I've loved from the first time I saw it...and then there's another color and I'm like..but what if they cancel it!?!?! this is truly ridiculous lolol. Ive gotten most of my make up monster under control. The nail beast? I'm not sure what to do!! I will however definitely be narrowing down the colors i just do not love and listing them for sale somewhere. hopefully that's a smooth undertaking :)
I just read the e-mail with the 25% off code. Of course I wandered right over to the Bondi site.... and then I closed it. It will be really hard when they have a larger selection!

I just used the code to buy Tavern On The 
icon_redface.gif
 BUT, instead of buying the other colors I wanted, I managed a trade for Teal Magnolia and Botanical Beauty.  I have not seen any boxes with Tavern On The, so I justified buying it because I would not be able to trade for it.  *SIGH*

I just read the e-mail with the 25% off code. Of course I wandered right over to the Bondi site.... and then I closed it. It will be really hard when they have a larger selection!
Kudos to you!! I'm sure that was not easy!!

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just used the code to buy Tavern On The 
icon_redface.gif
 BUT, instead of buying the other colors I wanted, I managed a trade for Teal Magnolia and Botanical Beauty.  I have not seen any boxes with Tavern On The, so I justified buying it because I would not be able to trade for it.  *SIGH*
Yeah I swapped chasing the sun for city slickers...sold Central Park Blossom to someone who didn't have anything to swap, and gave my sister the limelight because I know she'd really appreciate it :) This leaves the me problem of still really wanting horny mistress and nypd...i'll use the proceeds from my sale for one and the $10 code for the other...I'll feel less guilty, have all the colors I want from Bondi at this time, and shut down the polish purchases for a while :) Will probably take a really hard look at some juleps that I'm not totally in love with and create a sale board...

Back