August 2013 No Buy/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late to the party, but signing on for a low-buy for August.  I was out of town for the first week, so used up a bunch of stuff while traveling, and didn't buy anything.  Then came back to the circular swap box, so I have lots of fun stuff to try out.  Not really tempted to buy much, but I am almost out of Zoya nail polish remover (my HG) and of BB cream (all samples used up!) so I can buy both of those this month.  I will buy on BB to use points.  Playing cart tetris now...

My online bank statement flips on the 11th - yesterday.  This is my little "mad money" account, where I make online purchases and beauty items and such, rather than our food/bills/important things like necessary clothing and plain-old-shampoo account.  I'm going to try to go ONE MONTH from my statement flip and not make a single purchase.  No makeup, no books, no amazon impulse purchases.

Luck to us all!!!  =)

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a good point! Obvi I've passed it up for a while now - with a sephora discount promo going on or not! Why go for it right now? Always gotta remind myself that extra points are not a discount!
Exactly! There's most likely a good reason you've been passing it up for so long.  I, too, sometimes find myself coveting new lip tar shades but then I realize I'm waaay too lazy to use them. They seem like a fussy product and I prefer traditional lipstick bullets to liquid lipsticks because they're easier and quicker to use (at least in my opinion). Plus the packaging is pretty boring. So I'm happy I never caved and bought one. They can be a great product but they're not for everyone.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's just... Julep is easy. I think that's why they've been so successful. New polishes delivered into your mailbox for consideration every month? yes please. searching for brands takes time and consideration... plus shipping....

that being said, I really want to try rainbow honey. I'm glad it seems to be an indie brand gaining traction and their collections all seem to be super unique. I'll probably wait to around black friday/christmas (my birthday!!) to treat myself to an order though. (Also, I'm most likely delighted because she seems likely to be a fandom nerd... XD I can always get behind that)
Indie brands are my weakness too! Thankfully I've never really gotten into nail polish (and I've tried my best not to). Mineral eyeshadows, on the other hand, are really difficult to resist...

I went way too wild in July, so I really need to go no-buy! I'm hoping to hold out until October (Birthday month) I did drop SS sub and 1 Ipsy sub. My plan is to keep my current subs (BB, Ipsy, PSMH, Lip Factory, ELF)  but buy nothing extra. If I get desperate I plan to "shop" my stash....which actually should more precisely be referred to as my hoard. I have a circular swap coming in this week, so that will be a huge help.

Help me stay strong and resist temptations y'all!

Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went way too wild in July, so I really need to go no-buy! I'm hoping to hold out until October (Birthday month) I did drop SS sub and 1 Ipsy sub. My plan is to keep my current subs (BB, Ipsy, PSMH, Lip Factory, ELF)  but buy nothing extra. If I get desperate I plan to "shop" my stash....which actually should more precisely be referred to as my hoard. I have a circular swap coming in this week, so that will be a huge help.

Help me stay strong and resist temptations y'all!
It sounds like you have a lot of items with a few subs coming in. Somewhere earlier on this thread someone recommended making an inventory list of what you have. I am going to make one with swatches of every item so I can really see all the things I have because I tend to buy dupes sometimes or something I already have a bunch of other shades of. I have a few Glossyboxes full of samples as well and just gave two Glossyboxes full of Sub Box samples to a friend because I do not use them. Just doing that and seeing how much I am giving away and how much I spent on the Sub Boxes really helped.

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My online bank statement flips on the 11th - yesterday.  This is my little "mad money" account, where I make online purchases and beauty items and such, rather than our food/bills/important things like necessary clothing and plain-old-shampoo account.  I'm going to try to go ONE MONTH from my statement flip and not make a single purchase.  No makeup, no books, no amazon impulse purchases.

Luck to us all!!!  =)
I think that is a great goal. After ordering some things on Friday I want to go until the end of September without buying Makeup products. My goal is to save money to continue my tattoo and that will cost a bit. So when I feel like shopping I go on pinterest and look at all the pretty ink boards
wub.gif

Super inspired by you all! I had a few near-misses this week (a full Walgreens.com cart + a bunch of stuff I'd been eyeing that was *way* marked down + special coupon for 20% off all beauty items) but I stayed strong!!!

I tossed all my coupons (and didn't clip any this weekend) that expired in August, so I wouldn't be tempted to use them up. I also reorganized my beauty, makeup and personal care stuff stash. Having it all organized gave me a better idea of what I have and what I really don't need any more of (ahem, pink lip gloss, neutral eyeshadows). Trying to use up what I have, because it really is ridiculous what I've accumulated. I shouldn't need any more full-size body lotion until around 2017, lol.

Also trying to think of things I can "repurpose" - ie, instead of buying a new hand cream for my purse, why not use one of the bazillion little lotions that I have collected from hotel stays? It's pretty much the same thing anyways.

I did purchase some vitamins (multi, biotin) but that is close enough to health care that I'm not going to call it a cheat. Trying to grow my hair even longer than it is so I can donate it in honor of my hubby's fight against brain cancer.

Originally Posted by birdiebijou /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Super inspired by you all! I had a few near-misses this week (a full Walgreens.com cart + a bunch of stuff I'd been eyeing that was *way* marked down + special coupon for 20% off all beauty items) but I stayed strong!!!

I tossed all my coupons (and didn't clip any this weekend) that expired in August, so I wouldn't be tempted to use them up. I also reorganized my beauty, makeup and personal care stuff stash. Having it all organized gave me a better idea of what I have and what I really don't need any more of (ahem, pink lip gloss, neutral eyeshadows). Trying to use up what I have, because it really is ridiculous what I've accumulated. I shouldn't need any more full-size body lotion until around 2017, lol.

Also trying to think of things I can "repurpose" - ie, instead of buying a new hand cream for my purse, why not use one of the bazillion little lotions that I have collected from hotel stays? It's pretty much the same thing anyways.

I did purchase some vitamins (multi, biotin) but that is close enough to health care that I'm not going to call it a cheat. Trying to grow my hair even longer than it is so I can donate it in honor of my hubby's fight against brain cancer.
Good for you!  This is fantastic.  I love your idea about repurposing hotel lotions for hand creams.  I have a slightly different problem with mini shampoos and conditioners.  Maybe I should use that for cleaning my makeup brushes?

And indeed vitamins does not count as a cheat!!! I'm sorry to hear about your husband - I hope he beats it.  Post photos of your hair when you donate it! :)

Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good for you!  This is fantastic.  I love your idea about repurposing hotel lotions for hand creams.  I have a slightly different problem with mini shampoos and conditioners.  Maybe I should use that for cleaning my makeup brushes?

And indeed vitamins does not count as a cheat!!! I'm sorry to hear about your husband - I hope he beats it.  Post photos of your hair when you donate it! :)
Thanks for the well wishes! Much appreciated. Will definitely post pics once I cut - probably not for a few months more.

I'm *obsessed* with hotel toiletries, to an unhealthy degree. I *love* the idea of using the mini shampoos as brush cleaners, though - totally trying that this weekend!

Originally Posted by birdiebijou /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How great to hear that you stayed strong and did not give in! It was amazing for me to see this weekend what I have collected over the years. I have a huge box of shampoos and lotions as well that me and the hubby are trying to use up. I am also an avid collector of little hotel toiletries... and I work in a hotel, too- no i dea why i love them that much.

So sorry to hear about your husband and I hope he stays strong and wins the fight against cancer, it sound slike he has a strong wife on his side!!

I would definitely not count the vitamins in. We bought a bunch of them this weekend again and I count them in 'health'.

Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congrats for staying strong with Walgreen's! That's a tough one to beat.
Thanks!! I have massive points built up because we get all of our (many many many) prescriptions there. But I finally talked myself down - no buy means no buy, even if points are involved. And I figure that code will come around again. They seem to do those pretty often.

Originally Posted by Sunflowercake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How great to hear that you stayed strong and did not give in! It was amazing for me to see this weekend what I have collected over the years. I have a huge box of shampoos and lotions as well that me and the hubby are trying to use up. I am also an avid collector of little hotel toiletries... and I work in a hotel, too- no i dea why i love them that much.

So sorry to hear about your husband and I hope he stays strong and wins the fight against cancer, it sound slike he has a strong wife on his side!!

I would definitely not count the vitamins in. We bought a bunch of them this weekend again and I count them in 'health'.
I try to be strong. Some days are okay, others, not so much. It's stage IV so not a great outlook overall.

(massively changing subjects) I could never work in a hotel because I would get fired for pilfering the mini-toiletries
wink.gif
. I have a ton of Bulgari (forgot where), Ren (a Marriott in London), and Peter Thomas Roth (Hilton) that I'm working through. But I always feel a sense of accomplishment (weird, I know) when I finish up a product, and minis are *great* for that!

Hey all,

Hopping back onto the no-buy/low-buy thread because today is the first day of Sephora's double/triple/quad points.  Although I gave myself $50 to spend at Sephora during this special week, I filled up my basket with stuff that I didn't really need/want... AND YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED?

I didn't buy it!

I'm so happy.  
headphonedance.gif
  I even went through the Sephora forum to see if there were codes for bonus products that I wanted - nothing!  Makeup brushes, palettes, even lipstick - nothing tempted me!!!

I was feeling good about this, so I went to the gym today.  While I was on the elliptical, I asked myself maybe it was time to institute an annual beauty budget.  

Do you have a beauty budget?

The more that I think about it, the more it seems the right thing to do for smart no-buy and low-buy strategies.  It's like personal budgeting - you gotta know how much you have to work with, so you can splurge when you need it and pass when you don't.  I started an inventory of beauty products on a google spreadsheet because it's the same system I use to track my monthly expenses.  I never thought about giving myself an annual allocation of $ to work with.

If you had a beauty budget, how much would yours be?  I know everyone's income is different, everyone's values makeup and personal care products differently than I do, but I'd thought I'd put it out there to stimulate discussion.  
lam.gif

Hey all,

Hopping back onto the no-buy/low-buy thread because today is the first day of Sephora's double/triple/quad points.  Although I gave myself $50 to spend at Sephora during this special week, I filled up my basket with stuff that I didn't really need/want... AND YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED?

I didn't buy it!

I'm so happy.  
headphonedance.gif
  I even went through the Sephora forum to see if there were codes for bonus products that I wanted - nothing!  Makeup brushes, palettes, even lipstick - nothing tempted me!!!

I was feeling good about this, so I went to the gym today.  While I was on the elliptical, I asked myself maybe it was time to institute an annual beauty budget.  

Do you have a beauty budget?

The more that I think about it, the more it seems the right thing to do for smart no-buy and low-buy strategies.  It's like personal budgeting - you gotta know how much you have to work with, so you can splurge when you need it and pass when you don't.  I started an inventory of beauty products on a google spreadsheet because it's the same system I use to track my monthly expenses.  I never thought about giving myself an annual allocation of $ to work with.

If you had a beauty budget, how much would yours be?  I know everyone's income is different, everyone's values makeup and personal care products differently than I do, but I'd thought I'd put it out there to stimulate discussion.  
lam.gif
Congrats on resisting Sephora! I'm not tempted at all by the triple point offer and I don't need anything. I also avoided a 20% off sale and a 35% off sale.

The beauty budget question is tricky. I usually told myself that I could only purchase 5 items a month, but the 5 items that I purchased usually ended up being too expensive ($60 palette here, $20 liner there) so I don't think that I will do that again.I don't want to give myself a number like $50/month because I think that if I spend $20 on beauty products, I might want to spend the remaining $30 on things that I don't need because I have $30 to spend. 

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on resisting Sephora! I'm not tempted at all by the triple point offer and I don't need anything. I also avoided a 20% off sale and a 35% off sale.

The beauty budget question is tricky. I usually told myself that I could only purchase 5 items a month, but the 5 items that I purchased usually ended up being too expensive ($60 palette here, $20 liner there) so I don't think that I will do that again.I don't want to give myself a number like $50/month because I think that if I spend $20 on beauty products, I might want to spend the remaining $30 on things that I don't need because I have $30 to spend. 

Interesting...  I have never tried to do a budget by item limit.  How do you handle makeup sets or BOGO offers?  :)

You are right, having a monthly budget does sometimes work against you.  If I underspend for the month, I will likely forget about it (unless there's an item I really really want).  Next time (or next month) I see an item I want, I carryover any remaining balance - because if I was frugal one month, I can buy a bigger item next month.  :)

Interesting...  I have never tried to do a budget by item limit.  How do you handle makeup sets or BOGO offers?  :)

You are right, having a monthly budget does sometimes work against you.  If I underspend for the month, I will likely forget about it (unless there's an item I really really want).  Next time (or next month) I see an item I want, I carryover any remaining balance - because if I was frugal one month, I can buy a bigger item next month.  :)
I counted makeup sets as 1, and I honestly never used a BOGO offer when I had an item limit. I assume that I would count the second item if it was BOGO 1/2 off since I'm still paying for it but wouldn't count it if the second item was free. Now I don't really have an item limit but I might go back to it someday.

lam.gif
I haven't had a beauty budget, but know that I should, lol. I just looked in my financial software and I spent $3,300 in the personal care category in the past 12 months. Granted, that's for all four females in the house and that's for everything from make up to hygiene items to hair care and hair cuts. 

I just need to be conscious of what I have so that I can be strong enough and say no to the bargains. That's usually what kills me...the sales! But...I have enough makeup and skin care to last quite a while. I'm telling myself to be content with what I have.

That said, I haven't even been tempted by the Sephora 3X points. Yay me!

Sooo seriously thinking about cancelling my julep sub...i haven't loved the beauty products recently and I have more than enough polish to use at this point...many that I have never used. Also, I LOVED fast dry top coat but hate freedom. I have used other topcoats with julep but none of them seem to work well. I get chipping after 1-2 days (have used Zoya Anchor and a few others..I don't think I've tried I'm Vers yet).  so I don't want to continue buying a brand that I know will not last on my hands beyond 1-2 days.  Not being a subscriber pretty much guarantees I do not buy the box nor spend extra money on polishes (my no buy is going beyond August as it relates to polish). I do really like the Julep Reveal and have a tube of mighty nail and cuticle to replace--that I had to buy from Sephora because Julep was out. Should they restock this product, I can always order through a friend and have her send it to me for maven pricing......Thoughts? encouragement?

Sooo seriously thinking about cancelling my julep sub...i haven't loved the beauty products recently and I have more than enough polish to use at this point...many that I have never used. Also, I LOVED fast dry top coat but hate freedom. I have used other topcoats with julep but none of them seem to work well. I get chipping after 1-2 days (have used Zoya Anchor and a few others..I don't think I've tried I'm Vers yet).  so I don't want to continue buying a brand that I know will not last on my hands beyond 1-2 days.  Not being a subscriber pretty much guarantees I do not buy the box nor spend extra money on polishes (my no buy is going beyond August as it relates to polish). I do really like the Julep Reveal and have a tube of mighty nail and cuticle to replace--that I had to buy from Sephora because Julep was out. Should they restock this product, I can always order through a friend and have her send it to me for maven pricing......Thoughts? encouragement?
It sounds like canceling is a good idea for you. It's not like there is a waiting list if you want to re-sub. Actually, it sounds like you actively *want* to cancel, and when it comes to subs, this is pretty much precisely when you should bail.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It sounds like canceling is a good idea for you. It's not like there is a waiting list if you want to re-sub. Actually, it sounds like you actively *want* to cancel, and when it comes to subs, this is pretty much precisely when you should bail.
You're totally right. Its just hard for me to "say goodbye" but June was my last box. I have not ordered even any mystery boxes, and I have big chips on my nails right now from a mani I just did sunday night....Now if only I could eliminate my Bondi problem lol. I'm committed to skipping the september box though...and use up some of the pretties I already have!

Back