August 2014 No Buy/Low Buy Thread - Hugs, Commiseration, and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not doing so well. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Sephora and Memebox. I was fine with Sephora until I saw that you could get a rouge sample bag online. I'm not sure what my excuse is with Memebox. I guess I just suck. I have no room for so many more Memeboxes and I just bought 8 more. It's only day 4. Maybe I need counseling.
Is the online Rouge bag only in the US? Wish I saw that as an option before I ordered!

Got the email from Sephora letting me know they're giving out lots of extra points but I deleted it. No makeup this month.
Good job! That's awesome!

Must fight the urge to go over to the Sephora website.....I have a shopping basket with over $300 worth of products that I am contemplating.  Not to buy all at once of course, but to hold my thoughts.

Today, I went to Rite Aid as I am making some gift baskets.  I did OK.  I got my daughter some facial wipes.  But, I did get a cheap collection of brushes from Eco Tools.  I think  they were a $7.99 for eyes.  Nothing fancy.  I only have 3 eye shadow brushes with 2 being similar.  So, I needed to get something to get me through.  I had another ugly day and this time with my Tarte Palette.  I figured if I had the right size brushes, I wouldn't look like a crazy person and call myself names in the mirror.  So, a small sanity purchase.

Ugh I am all sickly which makes me want pretty things but not to wear make up. Thank goodness for moving and not knowing what address to send a pick me up order to. I think I am going to avoid updating my new address on all sites so that I have an extra (albeit very small) hoop to jump through before I hit any buy buttons.

I am avoiding buying stuff at Sephora by getting my loves list in order for a ginormous haul during the Nov VIB sale, and dreaming about holiday sets coming up this fall. As long as it keeps me from actually buying anything, right? I often think that I enjoy researching and "shopping" for new products as much or more as I like actually buying and having them. (For non-makeup items as well.) So I will try this and see if I can be good. In the past when I have tried "banning" myself from even looking it has not worked out so well, hehe. Of course it probably helps that I still have the last three orders of July on their way

I decided to take a Birchbox box and put it in my lipstuff drawer.  Every day, when I use the lipstuff of the day (usually around three products.  I always end up with one I don't like the color of, another to mix it with to fix the color, and a gloss.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  ), I drop them in the box.  I'm going to use each one (it will probably take about a year and a quite a few boxes) and then go back and use them all again, over and over, so that I'm at least using all the several hundred or so lip products I have.  (I REALLY don't need a new Give Me Some Lip set - that's for dingdong sure!)

Staying strong.  My last purchase was the oily skin cleanser on 7/29!  =)

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way - I'm probably greatly exaggerating about it taking a year.  But it could seriously be three months or so.

I'm still waffling over Shiro's Lavender Town blend (they took the discontinued shades from a collection and mixed it in a blender) - it was released 3 days ago and there are 49 left in stock. When/if it drops to 15 left in stock this month, then I'll let myself buy one - this way I have more time to think about it. Some of the Detrivore shades are also tempting me (I also want Plasma, which is limited edition, because I think of blood plasma when I see the name... and I feel a compulsion to own all of the medicine/biochem-themed makeup).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sephora never tempts me that badly because their rewards system is so sub par. Like, sure, I'll spend $350 a year in order to get 1000 points (if I buy exclusively during the very very few points events during the year) in order to receive about 10 deluxe samples? Uh, screw that. I'll shop somewhere I can use a % off code, or get a whole haul of GWPs, or cashback credits. Probably all at the same time!

I will say that my in-store experiences have all been stellar. There's just so many better offers elsewhere online.

As for Memebox... There are so many I want so badly! I'm resisting so far. Not sure I'll be able to resist a sale/code/free points though :/

Sephora never tempts me that badly because their rewards system is so sub par. Like, sure, I'll spend $350 a year in order to get 1000 points (if I buy exclusively during the very very few points events during the year) in order to receive about 10 deluxe samples? Uh, screw that. I'll shop somewhere I can use a % off code, or get a whole haul of GWPs, or cashback credits. Probably all at the same time! :/
Yeah extra points at Sephora are easy for me to resist, luckily--so few things are

I DONT WANNA BE LONELY NO MORE! (have that song stuck in my head)

So today something happened -- I left my doffel bag with my makeup bag in my friend's car... and was freaking out because I had no makeup. then I went to my makeup collection and i had plenty of makeup, of course lol but the panic I went through for a nanosecond was hilarious.

Ugh.

On the other hand, I REALLY enjoyed the forced "use other stuff" due to not having my usual project pan items/makeup bag with me. lol.

I am really tempted by the Shiro Earth's Mightiest Heroes collection.  I want to buy all of it.  But, since I've never really used loose pigments or anything by Shiro I think I am just going to start with some of the little sample baggies. 

Other than this though, not buying makeup has been pretty easy for me lately.  I am packing to go back to college and sorting through all the makeup, haircare, skincare, etc., I have and it's crazy!  I have so much stuff, it's overwhelming.  I just haven't been buying anything because I don't really need anything and I am on a super limited income.  I do love makeup though and I love getting mail, so not getting any new pretties in the mail all the time has been kind of sad :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am really tempted by the Shiro Earth's Mightiest Heroes collection.  I want to buy all of it.  But, since I've never really used loose pigments or anything by Shiro I think I am just going to start with some of the little sample baggies. 

Other than this though, not buying makeup has been pretty easy for me lately.  I am packing to go back to college and sorting through all the makeup, haircare, skincare, etc., I have and it's crazy!  I have so much stuff, it's overwhelming.  I just haven't been buying anything because I don't really need anything and I am on a super limited income.  I do love makeup though and I love getting mail, so not getting any new pretties in the mail all the time has been kind of sad :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Shiro's sample sizes are pretty generous, they'll last plenty of uses (indie sample sizes in general last quite a while since they're so pigmented... so unless you want the sticker/label/jar or if it's a color you use super frequently, buying samples makes the most sense) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I empathize with you about the mail thing :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

mrspookie, on 04 Aug 2014 - 5:29 PM, said:
    I am avoiding buying stuff at Sephora by getting my loves list in order for a ginormous haul during the Nov VIB sale, and dreaming about holiday sets coming up this fall. As long as it keeps me from actually buying anything, right? I often think that I enjoy researching and "shopping" for new products as much or more as I like actually buying and having them. (For non-makeup items as well.) So I will try this and see if I can be good. In the past when I have tried "banning" myself from even looking it has not worked out so well, hehe. Of course it probably helps that I still have the last three orders of July on their way

Oh yay, another person doing this! This is what I'm doing to hold myself over until November. YAY YAY YAY let's dream of all the holiday sales and sets together in the thread I made in the 'makeup talk' forum. Come, join me! Or, we can skip that section of the board for too many enablers and make on here in the no-buy forum!!! I need to overhaul my loves list too, and do an inventory of my stash as well! Oh boy, this will be fun!
I think we should start a "holiday plans" thread in the no-buy section! Maybe one where any goodies have to be under spoiler or something...that other thread looks like it will be tempting :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . In general I've been trying to develop a "strategy" for the holiday season, and it'd be nice to post it somewhere for accountability!

I think we should start a "holiday plans" thread in the no-buy section! Maybe one where any goodies have to be under spoiler or something...that other thread looks like it will be tempting :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . In general I've been trying to develop a "strategy" for the holiday season, and it'd be nice to post it somewhere for accountability!
I think most of what's going on in my head right now is probably enabling--the only difference is I'm pre-enabling myself for later

I'm still waffling over Shiro's Lavender Town blend (they took the discontinued shades from a collection and mixed it in a blender) - it was released 3 days ago and there are 49 left in stock. When/if it drops to 15 left in stock this month, then I'll let myself buy one - this way I have more time to think about it. Some of the Detrivore shades are also tempting me (I also want Plasma, which is limited edition, because I think of blood plasma when I see the name... and I feel a compulsion to own all of the medicine/biochem-themed makeup).
I bought Lavendar Town!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back