August 2014 No Buy/Low Buy Thread - Hugs, Commiseration, and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continued.... ( I couldn't quote that many people in one post, apparently!!!)

this is starting to be close to my finish line and I honestly think I can make it through the next two months.
Which is insane when you think about it because I started becoming active in the no buy forum (and MUT in general) back in October...3 months and I'll have spent a year here! and by here I mean specifically in this forum. I have made like 3 posts outside of the no buy forum, I think, and I've made over 700 posts. Can I just say I love you guys? <3

So anyways, a friend told me to do something smart for keeping me interested and motivated on a no-buy and a project pan...to start putting stickers on my makeup telling me the day I acquired the item. That way I'll remember what needs to be used up ASAP. 
Good for you, I think you're strong enough and smart enough to get through these two months too!

I think I joined here around the same time as you. Hehee. I love you ladies too! We help each other out! And although I haven't been around in a little while, I love this place and it is really inspiring and fun! You all rock!

Also great idea about the date of purchase sticker. I did something like that with my sunscreens, but I dated it when I opened and started using, rather than purchased. I wrote on the bottom of the bottle with a magic marker, and I did that with mascara too, so I knew when to get rid of it after 3 months from that date.

I need to up my organization game, and this might just be the way to do it!

I'm planning on doing a low buy again in August. I have a Sephora gift card that I'll allow myself to use next week to take advantage of the 3x points for VIB, and I have some money sitting in Paypal that I can use if I really want to buy something, but otherwise, I'm going to try not to make any purchases.
Oh snap, I forgot I have a $10 Sephora gift card that I purchased to get the mirror that comes with it because I'm insane. YAY!!! I will save it, though, for this fall.

Today was my first shopping day after No Buy July and I kind of went on a little spree..

3 makeup items (1 was an exchange)

4 general beauty items (1 makeup brush, 1 nail polish base coat, 1 purple conditioner, 1 dry shampoo)

3 clothing items

1 pair of boots

Only 4 were things I specifically planned to get today.. the other 7 were either things I had on my wishlist or Fall items that were low in stock in my size. Overall I love everything I got but my biggest problem is continuing to buy once I start. I can do well on a No Buy but then as soon as I start shopping again it's like everything snowballs..

My plan for the rest of the month is to allow myself the rest of the 3 makeup items of my 5 item limit for August, and any other purchases have to wait until September! I should be stocked up enough on things to last me until then, and if not I'll try to improvise with what I do have!

Now I'm done buying makeup for August. I spent $5 on a maybelline color tattoo on clearance, and a replacement eyebrow mascara. July was my birthday month, so I spoiled myself, so now it's time to buckle down and enjoy my new pretties.

I just found my 6 mac eyeshadow pots that I've been waiting to back to mac. lol. It sucks that one can't exchange them for more eyesahdow unless it's  a pro store >_> as I love lipstick but rarely wear it... 

I have decided not to go to the Sephora VIB event. 4x points is great, but I would just go to get things I want to try, not need. 4x points just leads to more purchases later on really, and I might just build a wishlist and pick up some stuff later in the year when they have the $25 off coupons and such. If I still really want something, I can buy it later. Blush charged me before I could cancel, so I am still getting that. I am not thrilled by the spoilers, but whatever. 

I joined this thread a week ago today, and then found there were a couple of small things I needed to re place before I stopped buying: 2 cans hairspray ($5 Aussie Freeze.  Guess my age!  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  ), a pack of razors, a book (next in the series I'm reading.  It was $3.96 on Amazon), and a bottle of aloe juice (I put it in mist bottles and use it for my skin and to set my makeup).  That is all I've purchased in the last week - and it sets me up for an August no-buy.  =) 

I have a small bank account, and every Friday morning I move a bit from our weekly pays into it to be my personal spending money.  (Even with that, I still tend to spend out of our joint account when we're in stores - this account keeps my online spending limited.)  Usually that account is back down to $20 by Friday evening.  I kept about half of my money last week, and the only thing paid for out of it so far this week is my Sample Society box.  (Birchbox was prepaid this month.)  I'm really not feeling tempted by anything, either!

BRING IT, AUGUST!

My plan for August is to not buy anything beauty-related period. Exceptions include: birchbox, I think I will cancel one of my two subs and clear out the points left on it. If I have to spend 20 dollars or less to get another 10 dollars in points (basically round my total up to an even hundred) that is an allowed purchase. But I have to try to spend points on something practical. If I get the urge to shop I can try playing cart tetris and figure out how to get the most bang for my buck.

I am moving in a week so for now I will be focused on using up as much as possible so I don't have to find space for my hoard in a new apartment. I will also keep making little gift piles to give to excited friends. I also notice posts on here talking about donating make up to women's shelters. If I am feeling particularly strong one of the days this month I will go through my nail polish and try to part with some of the pretty colors that don't get enough love.

Oh fml I knew I should've stopped emails from memebox. I checked my email earlier and decided I'd open a memebox one for once, just out of curiosity. And of course, I see a featured box, ready to ship, collab box w/a YouTube I like a lot...and the box looks so good....and I'm so stressed because of a certification test thing I have on Monday....

And I caved. I f'ing caved.

-_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'll just give up food for a few days or something to even out the cost, lol (i kid, i kid- but i will even it out somehow) Ended up only being $23 or so...but DAMNIT I DID NOT NEED THAT BOX OF ADORABLE KOREAN GOODNESS.

So uh...no-buy re-starts now! =p

Oh fml I knew I should've stopped emails from memebox. I checked my email earlier and decided I'd open a memebox one for once, just out of curiosity. And of course, I see a featured box, ready to ship, collab box w/a YouTube I like a lot...and the box looks so good....and I'm so stressed because of a certification test thing I have on Monday....

-_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'll just give up food for a few days or something to even out the cost, lol (i kid, i kid- but i will even it out somehow) Ended up only being $23 or so...but DAMNIT I DID NOT NEED THAT BOX OF ADORABLE KOREAN GOODNESS.

I feel like being on a no/low-buy is similar to being on a diet. You are successful according to how you handle slip ups. If you are staying away from cake, and you have a piece of cake, you can either move on and get back on your diet right away...or you can call the whole diet off and eat more cake! That's the way I see it anyway.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Haha @@BlackMagicRose that's a pretty good way to look at it! I never thought of that before. I think that's why I make sure I'm gonna sacrifice something else (and since I'm not buying anything but necessities- I'll take a hit on something food-wise I can live without but enjoy) that way I'm technically not overspending and also I have the sadness of not having whatever it is I sacrificed. Much like how if I decide to eat 500 Cals of candy, well, that means I lose an equal amount of real food for the day. Hopefully that'll teach me a lesson lol

I am really struggling and it's only the second day of the month! I have some extra money sitting in my bank account, and there is a sale on Chikuhodo brushes and I want.... I want so bad. I have opened and closed the shopping cart several times now.

Despite how beautiful and wonderful they are, I don't need more brushes... I don't.... and tomorrow is an allowed shopping trip.... argh!

Be strong, self. :bringiton:

I did the same thing, but I bought a t-shirt.  It's a wonderful, glorious, nerdy shirt, and I'll wear it often, and no one but me will get the reference, but I bought it in a moment of weakness.  But THANK YOU for giving me a way to make up for that!  Usually, by the time I'm done grocery shopping with 2 little boys who devolve into whacking each other incessantly by the time we get to checkout, I've thrown several "treats" in the basket.  If I can resist $17 worth of treats/junk food tomorrow, then I will stop beating myself up about this.

I did the same thing, but I bought a t-shirt.  It's a wonderful, glorious, nerdy shirt, and I'll wear it often, and no one but me will get the reference, but I bought it in a moment of weakness.  But THANK YOU for giving me a way to make up for that!  Usually, by the time I'm done grocery shopping with 2 little boys who devolve into whacking each other incessantly by the time we get to checkout, I've thrown several "treats" in the basket.  If I can resist $17 worth of treats/junk food tomorrow, then I will stop beating myself up about this.
... as the t-shirt enabler, I'm sorry and you can do it! If it makes you feel any better the shirts are super comfy (I wear mine as lounge shirts, too). And there are lots of Dr. Who fans so someone out there will get it!

@@Shalott You can resist! Those brushes are super expensive so a single order can be pretty damaging - and if you're happy with the brushes you have, then you haven't missed out on anything.

Personally struggling with a super limited-edition Shiro shade. I'm currently organizing all of my indies by color to distract myself.

@ Yes! Especially treats for the kiddos- hell, resisting the temptation in the moment to grab pre-made things so you can make something at home for much cheaper would still be saving a considerable amount of money, I think! For example, I make a vegan rice-crispies-treat that is super easy, cheap, and takes next to no time- and everyone goes nuts for them. I'm also guilty of bribing them to behave with promises of those cuties/halos (little oranges) that they love so much lol.

Lol...I know what you mean though. I don't have boys, but my 2 girls might as well be considered as destructive/ridiculous as little boys are at times. :lol:  I've definitely been guilty of grabbing treats for them too... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww darnit! I bought some unnecessary makeup yesterday. It was a $23 order with free shipping, but still, just not necessary.

By the way, can anyone here slap me if I buy any more nail polish? I don't know what my deal is- I NEVER even use it. I'm terrible at painting my nails, and I always feel like it looks really out of place on me. So, why am I itching to buy 4 more shades? EUGH- it's the damn skillful people on the internet with their nail art that I've never really been interested until now.

I swear- if I never heard the rave reviews of products online, I'd never have started buying tons of crap that I don't even use. EUGH!!!! Maybe my no buy should coincide with a "Stay off the internet" month. Hey, that's not a bad idea.......

I'm so glad it sold out today. That box has been tempting me bad.

I'm planning a $13 no-buy cheat for around the 10th, and I'm secure.  =)  There's a makeup item I really want.  I got it in a kit purchase for my birthday in June, but the color in the kit was too dark for me, and I really wanted to buy the lighter shade - but not many places carry it.  Birchbox does.  And there's free shipping on it as of the 10th.  AND it's $33, but I just realized I have $20 in points.  So I'm gettin' it.  And I'm not even going to feel guilty.

Part of me wants to say I'm changing from a no-buy to a low-buy because of this, but I know if I did that, I'd use it as an excuse to buy a $5 and another $10 - oh!  And several of these $1 - item(s) because truly, it's still low in comparison to what I usually spend, right?

So I'll just say I cheated a little.

Back