August 2014 No Buy/Low Buy Thread - Hugs, Commiseration, and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok kids...I'm back for August. Originally I wasn't on a no buy for August. But my car died yesterday. Which means YAY new car!! It's so shiny! However this also means I am BROKE. My plan was to wait until October to get a car. Husband has a student loan that is a ridiculous amount of money (seriously, our most expensive bill other than rent...more than his car payment) that is paid off in October. So the plan was to get me a car then since we'd be used to paying a ton of money anyways. Buuttt apparently my car had different ideas about that. Our insurance also went up since it's a newer car.

That means I am B-R-O-K-E until October. Like zero spending money broke. My plan:

- NO. BUYING. ANYTHING. I am allowed today to go to the walmart and pick up a skincare item I am out of (and apparently is intregal to keeping me from breaking out because YIKES I'm a mess since I ran out) and a few random smaller items of my choice...since technically it's not august. This is not an option. This is not a "well I need it so its ok". Like I can not buy anything for 2 months. Only item that is allowed, IF I run out (which I won't in August, but might in September) is primer. That's it.

- STAY OUT OF THE INDIE and ENABLERS threads. They are just too tempting. Planning on sticking in here and the swap threads.

This is going to be so hard. The outlet mall opens in 2 weeks and there will be a shiny new CCO full of MAC that I will want ALL OF IT, but I can not. I am allowed to go to the outlet mall with my mom and she can buy me presents, but no buying ANYTHING. It's 4x points at Sephora next week and I'm $90 away from re-rouging so my head says I need to go re-rouge and get the gift bag. Logic tells me I have an overflowing basket of samples already and I'll easily hit rouge again over black friday/xmas (I make hubby order my xmas gifts from sephora via my account) so there's really no point. I can do it. Even if I can't, I really have no choice.
Congrats on your new car! There's still lots of time to re-rouge this year, and they haven't even gotten to the Black Friday specials. Out of curiosity, what is this miracle product that prevents breakouts? I could use some of that.

Ok kids...I'm back for August. Originally I wasn't on a no buy for August. But my car died yesterday. Which means YAY new car!! It's so shiny! However this also means I am BROKE. My plan was to wait until October to get a car. Husband has a student loan that is a ridiculous amount of money (seriously, our most expensive bill other than rent...more than his car payment) that is paid off in October. So the plan was to get me a car then since we'd be used to paying a ton of money anyways. Buuttt apparently my car had different ideas about that. Our insurance also went up since it's a newer car.

That means I am B-R-O-K-E until October. Like zero spending money broke. My plan:

- NO. BUYING. ANYTHING. I am allowed today to go to the walmart and pick up a skincare item I am out of (and apparently is intregal to keeping me from breaking out because YIKES I'm a mess since I ran out) and a few random smaller items of my choice...since technically it's not august. This is not an option. This is not a "well I need it so its ok". Like I can not buy anything for 2 months. Only item that is allowed, IF I run out (which I won't in August, but might in September) is primer. That's it.

- STAY OUT OF THE INDIE and ENABLERS threads. They are just too tempting. Planning on sticking in here and the swap threads.

- When I TRULY can not take it, like about to die...I have $15 in gift cards to Target. I can spend that. Not a cent more.

This is going to be so hard. The outlet mall opens in 2 weeks and there will be a shiny new CCO full of MAC that I will want ALL OF IT, but I can not. I am allowed to go to the outlet mall with my mom and she can buy me presents, but no buying ANYTHING. It's 4x points at Sephora next week and I'm $90 away from re-rouging so my head says I need to go re-rouge and get the gift bag. Logic tells me I have an overflowing basket of samples already and I'll easily hit rouge again over black friday/xmas (I make hubby order my xmas gifts from sephora via my account) so there's really no point. I can do it. Even if I can't, I really have no choice.
tell me about it...In the back of my mind I've been keeping track of the fact that the CCO will be opening in 2 weeks, but I just can't afford to :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Oh to Hell with this! After my little rant you girls will think I live in a third world country. Not really, I'm in Europe but shit happens. Sooo, they are pulling Revlon out of the market. Seems it didn't sell well here and everything is being sent buh-bye! Great, freakin great! Another nice brand I won't be able to get easily now! I am panicking like nobody's bussines beacuse I love the Colorstay foundation. I don't own it at the moment, but I do own 4 other foundations. The question is, do I run and buy some or just admitt that I also like other stuff?

Also, after years and years, Maybelline decided to bring Babylips in my country. Yeah, we are a couple years late to the party, but you know, better late than never! I am sooo tempted to just buy one and call it a day. You know that peep talk the cosmetic devil is giving me: just buy it, it's so cheap! Yes it is! But I don't need it! Or do I? It's not like I don't have 4 other lipbalms. Do you see a pattern here? Do you feel my pain?

I know it sound crazy but I feel better when I get on here and read about all the bumps in the road other ladies have.

Oh to Hell with this! After my little rant you girls will think I live in a third world country. Not really, I'm in Europe but shit happens. Sooo, they are pulling Revlon out of the market. Seems it didn't sell well here and everything is being sent buh-bye! Great, freakin great! Another nice brand I won't be able to get easily now! I am panicking like nobody's bussines beacuse I love the Colorstay foundation. I don't own it at the moment, but I do own 4 other foundations. The question is, do I run and buy some or just admitt that I also like other stuff?

Also, after years and years, Maybelline decided to bring Babylips in my country. Yeah, we are a couple years late to the party, but you know, better late than never! I am sooo tempted to just buy one and call it a day. You know that peep talk the cosmetic devil is giving me: just buy it, it's so cheap! Yes it is! But I don't need it! Or do I? It's not like I don't have 4 other lipbalms. Do you see a pattern here? Do you feel my pain?

I know it sound crazy but I feel better when I get on here and read about all the bumps in the road other ladies have.
if you love it, buy it. this is one of those moments where i would say go for it, because it just won't be available any longer and will be that much harder to get. it's kind of how ive been wanting to try out bourjois but it seems imposible for me to get a hold of it. however, i would say only buy it if you know you'll use it, and don't hoard it. one bottle of foundation lasts a very long time.

Congrats on your new car! There's still lots of time to re-rouge this year, and they haven't even gotten to the Black Friday specials. Out of curiosity, what is this miracle product that prevents breakouts? I could use some of that.
Loreal Youth Code Texture Perfecting Serum. Which is SO ODD but my chin was having AWFUL breakouts up until about 2 months ago. I decided to strip down ALL skincare to purity face wash, the serum at night, and a super basic moisturizer in the morning. Breakouts just stopped. Ran out of the serum about 2 weeks ago, figured it probably wasn't doing that much (my skin didn't look PERFECT, but I didn't have any breakouts so I figured it probably wasn't doing anything moisturizer wasn't), stopped using it and switched to just moisturizer at night (same one as the morning), BOOM chin is a hot mess again. Guess my skin likes it?

I agree with jaylilee. If it's your HG foundation...this is one time I'd say go for it and pick up some. Just remember foundation expires so I wouldn't buy too much. If you just sort of like it and like something better...I'd pass.

Ugh, that's frustrating. I've mailed cosmetics to overseas friends who suddenly found themselves out of Covergirl concealer and no way to purchase...is there a way you could have someone send you some if you get desperate? Revlon is pretty widely available in the U.S. Overseas shipping is a little expensive, but not too bad for small packages. You could also buy on Amazon. I'm pretty sure they have worldwide shipping.

I am having a hard time with the 4x points review VIB Rouge event. I want to go, I want the sample bag, and I want a couple of items (Hourglass Ambient Lighting Power, MUFE setting spray, maybe a primer), but do I need these things? Not really. Do the 4x points and free sample bag justify this purchase? Maybe? I'm probably looking at a $100 purchase of stuff I want but don't absolutely need. What to do?

I am having a hard time with the 4x points review VIB Rouge event. I want to go, I want the sample bag, and I want a couple of items (Hourglass Ambient Lighting Power, MUFE setting spray, maybe a primer), but do I need these things? Not really. Do the 4x points and free sample bag justify this purchase? Maybe? I'm probably looking at a $100 purchase of stuff I want but don't absolutely need. What to do?
Here's what I keep telling myself. $100 = 400 points. That can get me 4 minis. Not even a 500 point set. Are minis worth $25 a piece? No. They're cute, but I wouldn't pay $100 for 4 of them.

Free sample bag? Eh, I mean it's nice, and I totally get it, I feel like you get so little for rouge you HAVE TO take advantage of any offer you can get. But even if the sample bag is worth (generously giving sephora way too much credit here) $15.....still not really worth it to spend $100 on stuff you don't need just to get it.

ENABLING SO PUTTING IT IN A SPOILER

I'd say if you really, really, REALLY want to do it...the MUFE spray comes in minis for $12. Most primers also come in minis for $10-$12. Buy those, spend $10 on something fun to get the sample bag. Make the hourglass powder a reward for being successful on your no buy for a month, two months, however long you need to be on it.

That way you only spend $35 and got a decent amount of that back in points (figuring 100pt perks are typically worth $5-$7 each) and a $15 sample bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I purchased an eye shadow palette today.  :blush2:    This probably is a bad start.  It took me 4 hours to make the purchase.   I had ugly makeup day yesterday.  Today, I threw out ugly makeup.   So, I needed to replace ugly makeup which is allowed.  Now, the caveat is, I have a low pigmented Maybelline quad I could have used and a bunch of Clinique GWP duo's that were never my color that I could use.  This really is my one neglected area of makeup.  So, I decided not to suffer through wacky colors and get myself set up.

I am not sure I followed my rules or not.  :scared:   I did get free shipping with a few add ons, 30% and Ebates (I hope as it was a 4 hour online debate).

So, I purchased an eye shadow palette today.  :blush2:    This probably is a bad start.  It took me 4 hours to make the purchase.   I had ugly makeup day yesterday.  Today, I threw out ugly makeup.   So, I needed to replace ugly makeup which is allowed.  Now, the caveat is, I have a low pigmented Maybelline quad I could have used and a bunch of Clinique GWP duo's that were never my color that I could use.  This really is my one neglected area of makeup.  So, I decided not to suffer through wacky colors and get myself set up.

I am not sure I followed my rules or not.  :scared:   I did get free shipping with a few add ons, 30% and Ebates (I hope as it was a 4 hour online debate).
What did you buy and what did you toss? I am such a sucker for Clinique GWP eyeshadows (and Clinique GWPs in general), but they always leave me disappointed when it comes to texture and quality, unfortunately.

I too purchased a lot of stuff in this unnamed sale. But hey, it's not August yet? Right?? :blush:

I have to disagree and say pass on the foundation. If they're pulling the brand it'll get increasingly harder to get.. You don't want to fall in love with it and put yourself through searching for it - plus you were doing fine without it until you found out it was leaving! I say cut the cord now and focus on other things you like (those 4 foundations!) until you finish some up. By the time you're really ready for a new foundation there will be something even better out! Technology is always improving and when you do discover something new those backups will be sitting there expiring and you'll have wasted your money.

With the Babylips, could you try using up one or two of the ones you have and then purchasing one to try as a reward? We have them here but they're just lip balms really.. not magic like they claim to be. I bought a few when they first came out years ago but have since moved on!

Hope that helps! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@BlackMagicRose ~ I agree with it not being August.  I was prepped and primed to be good though.  I had my makeup bag filled of stuff I would suffer through, I mean use for August.  I have been doing that successfully for weeks!  I have tossed stuff and used up stuff already and was feeling liberated.  I am going with at least I didn't buy more of something I have an abundance of.  I really have nothing. 

@ - I threw out an e.l.f. palette, a color tattoo and a primer.   The elf palette was a poor attempt at trying to give myself some colors that I would like.   I liked the colors but, not on me.  Holy glitter.   I used to buy a lot of Clinique and would time my needs around those GWP.  The eye shadows were always a disappointment in quality too.  I tossed two recently that were probably a 100 years old.  I think I have a few more hanging around with colors that are so out of fashion, they will never be in again.

I purchased a Tarte Limited Editiion Amazonian eye shadow palette with 16 colors.  If I can't find something that works in that, I am going to make my own shadow with mud.  I also got a smokey quartz eye liner and some eye makeup remover towelettes to help me get to $40 for free shipping.

I have to disagree and say pass on the foundation. If they're pulling the brand it'll get increasingly harder to get.. You don't want to fall in love with it and put yourself through searching for it - plus you were doing fine without it until you found out it was leaving! I say cut the cord now and focus on other things you like (those 4 foundations!) until you finish some up. By the time you're really ready for a new foundation there will be something even better out! Technology is always improving and when you do discover something new those backups will be sitting there expiring and you'll have wasted your money.

With the Babylips, could you try using up one or two of the ones you have and then purchasing one to try as a reward? We have them here but they're just lip balms really.. not magic like they claim to be. I bought a few when they first came out years ago but have since moved on!

Hope that helps! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Now that I've read this, I have to say I also agree with this...so perhaps it's just a matter of priorities. I mean, foundation is foundation, a gazillion companies make them and you can find great ones across a lot of boards and prices. On the other hand, if it's your HG maybe just extend your searching period a bit longer by purchasing, but ONLY if it's your HG. If it's not.. and you just like it and are only falling into the panic of not having it available later (survival instinct, we do it with food, too), then it's not worth it. 

@ ~ That must be the magic number.  $41.30 for me at tarte.  
i'm trying to break the habit of *if* i'm going to make an online purchase, i shouldn't throw random stuff into my cart to hit the magic free shipping number. i'm trying to remind myself that the cost of me going into my car, driving to the mall, looking for that item, and then risking buying other stuff/food/coffee makes that cost more than the $5-8 shipping tag anyway!

If I spend my gift card i will be getting 5 blushes for $2....i get 5 sleek blushes. but if i do, then i also spent $14 for the month, not 12....and would break my no-buy a second time. 

So I'm wondering if this is the "losing my mind from stress and just want shinies" moment I've been saving that card for, or if I can just wait longer. 

I went for it. ... the guilt will probably settle in later, but it's $2, and right now i'm dealing with so much stress i spoke with hubby about it. he said to deal with it however i could, and if spending $2 would bring in a moment of sunshine, it was ok.

Oh gosh, I'm awful - I got some stuff from Sephora's clearance section. I didn't spend too much, but I still spent money on stuff I didn't need. Someone slap me on the wrist!

I'm happy I have no desire to go to that 4X points for VIB Rouge deal that's happening next week, mainly because I'm horribly ashamed of my Rouge status and I don't really want others to know that I've spent that much money on makeup and junk. :/

Hmm, I would probably think about when the next big Sephora sale/points event is and maybe buy enough to last me until then. If you already have enough to last until, for example, the sale around November each year, then I wouldn't buy it. If you will run out at a time when there aren't any major sales, it would be better for you to buy now (unless you are having serious storage issues, I guess).

I'm totally guilty of buying backups, especially if stuff is being discontinued or 50% off on Hautelook. There have been a couple discontinued items that I have been very glad to have stocked up on over the years, but it seems like for every backup that gets used, two go unused. I think it's an anxiety thing, but something I need to stop, unless it's a super HG item. 

Resist the urge to hoard!  There will be other sales in the future where you can buy replacement items as needed.
Okay, I decided that my game plan for "stocking up" for the VIB Rouge sale will be to get just enough of my going-to-run-out skincare items to last me until the November sale, as suggested by @BlackMagicRose. Conveniently, my HG skincare items come in a minis set that is actually cheaper than if I was to buy the things separately. Once I use up what I have, that should be enough to hold me until November. I'm hopeful that by not having skincare to replace during my no-buy that there will be less temptations to slip other things at the cart from Sephora. 

Back