August 2014 No Buy/Low Buy Thread - Hugs, Commiseration, and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like I'll be joining you ladies for August, since I was laid off last month, and until I find a new job, I really should stick to the budget. I'm still working out the rules of my no buy/low buy, as there is some stuff I actually need (replacements and manicure tools, since I decided to do my own manicures from now on), and I have some Birchbox points, Sephora gift card and generic gift card that I'm intending to spend on pretties... 

Ok ladies, thanks for the support! That Revlon Colorstay actually is my HG for fall-winter. However at the moment it's hot like Hell here so I wouldn't really use it. I just finished my last bottle a couple of weeks ago. I emailed two of the online stores that carry Revlon and their reply makes me happy. They said that while it is true Revlon won't be carried in stores any longer, their merchandise comes from outside the country and they will continue to sell the stuff online. Phewwww, glad I thought of that! So, if I'll still want thatcome winter, I'll just buy it. If it's not there anymore...I'll just deal with it!

And about the babylips, I know it's just lipbalm, but you know, all the cool kids have them and I don't :lol: . God, makeup and beauty makes me act so stupid sometimes! :blush: Here's the deal, I'll just use up one lipbalm and replace it with a Babylips. It will just be 11 lei (aroun2.5 euros) so it won't be that bad, right?

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I decided to toss some of the stuff I planned to use till December. Some of it I really hated, some of it I decided it's old enough not to insist. The really weird thing is, I took the plunge to trash those items after watching a vanity organization video. It made me sick to the stomach to see how much that lady had (much more than I do) and that she wasn't using most of it, just collecting the stuff. In past days, that video would put me in a mad mood for shopping! Maybe I am finally growing up? Better late than never, right? :lol:

I went through some of my "old" makeup, which is saying something considering the majority of my collection is from this year. But I had some stuff that I tried and didn't like, but kept around for no good reason, and I threw it away. It was only a few items, but it felt good. And I have decided that part of my no buy will be trying all the eyeshadow I have that I haven't used yet. And I used one today already! Soon I won't have anything that I haven't used at least once!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gearing up for August...my plan.

BUY NOTHING! 

There...

I will be getting the subs I have already paid for (BB x 3, PopSugar, LMDB). I'm canceling From the Lab. I reserve the right to get a Julep box only if I don't have dupes of the colors they bring out and I have to absolutely love the box. 

Other than that, I am well stocked on hair and skin care and should not need a thing.

I really want to be strong and prove to myself that I can do it!

Plus, I'll be getting a swap present...that should hold me over for the month! 

Welp, I have been very very bad in July, between Sephora (new Fresh balm color! Tiny lipglosses!) and the Tarte sale. So no-buy until at least Sep....only thing I will allow is if Ulta does 10x points at the end of August again, and IF by that time I have decided Smashbox primer is worth the price for me, I can buy that then. I'll cancel ipsy as soon as this month's bag ships, let myself keep Birchbox for now, and that's it. No need to worry about running out of ANYTHING so I don't need to make allowances for that.

I need to learn to ignore GWPs and sales. Need to play with what I have. The only good thing this month was that I resisted the urge to buy eyeshadow. But I think that was the ONLY thing I resisted the urge to buy!

Welp, I have been very very bad in July, between Sephora (new Fresh balm color! Tiny lipglosses!) and the Tarte sale. So no-buy until at least Sep....only thing I will allow is if Ulta does 10x points at the end of August again, and IF by that time I have decided Smashbox primer is worth the price for me, I can buy that then. I'll cancel ipsy as soon as this month's bag ships, let myself keep Birchbox for now, and that's it. No need to worry about running out of ANYTHING so I don't need to make allowances for that.

I need to learn to ignore GWPs and sales. Need to play with what I have. The only good thing this month was that I resisted the urge to buy eyeshadow. But I think that was the ONLY thing I resisted the urge to buy!
are you already a fan of the Smashbox primer or do you still need to try it out? if you put out an ISO on the swap thread, i'm sure you can find yourself with a ton of smashbox primers very easily (I offered people the cost of a stamp instead of actually trading). I used to be very devoted to the Smashbox primer too! but then i got lazy and dont really wear primer since i only wear tinted moisturizer.

Have you tried using Monistat Anti-Chaffing gel as a primer? its basically a dupe for Smashbox , pretty similar ingredients. When I DO need to use primer, I use that instead. Its like, $7-8 a tube and will last you forever. It also works really well for its intended purpose of not suffering from chaffing ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just tossed 10 items (7 powder blushes and 3 eyeshadows) from my stash that were 3-8 years old. I have another 6 eyeshadows and 4 lipsticks in a "Goodbyes" bin that will expire in the next 6 months so I need to get started testing those out to see if I need to repurchase any of them or move on to something else.

Hopefully this makeup wakeup call will remind me to buy less this month and also reach for things more. I'm going to keep track of when everything was made and toss powder products after 3 years, lipsticks after 2, and lipglosses after 1. I know some people keep theirs longer and it's great if that works for them, but I'd really rather not wait for things to go bad before I toss them. It takes me forever to use makeup up so I'd never get through it all anyway. I really don't want a big "collection" - I want a small stash of products I use regularly and get close to finishing before they expire.. so I need to smarten up and start acting like it!

I'm going to try my best to stick to my 5 products or less goal this month! Today was such great motivation for that!

After yesterday's whoops in the form of a Tarte order,  I was looking at my stuff this morning to decide if there is anything else I may need to replace.  I determined that I would probably need to add a serum before the end of August.  I have been using glossybox goodies since May.  If glossy doesn't help me out again, I may need to purchase something.  So, I am going to focus on buying an Estee lauder product (when the time comes) and not poke around where I may find other things I will want to get.

I tossed a Napoleon Primer yesterday that did zero for me.  It was nice to be able to reach for something I had in my spares.  Its a Rimmel product which appears to be so much better than the expensive primer.

I have been using up foils which I have decided I do not enjoy.  The one use, difficult to open packages with mystery contents send me over the edge.  It either squirts all over the place, globs over the sides, etc.   I think I will stop including these tormenters from future orders. 

I decided to order my replacements today (because I have drugstore.com dollars that expire today): I got the Olay Daily Regenerating Serum, mouthwash, Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo (to wash my makeup brushes with... I've been washing them with handsoap), body wash, and conditioner. Total is $35 to get to free shipping; and none of these are things I hoard, so we're good :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (I was tempted to get a gel or liquid eyeliner because I don't have any and want to try one, but decided to wait until it's cooler and less likely to smear anyways).

Currently struggling with nail polish, though :scared:   (there's a good deal and my nail polish rack isn't full yet <-- enabler logic)

Last edited by a moderator:
blaaaaah. i already packed up my bathroom/make up stuff and getting by "travel style" until we actually move. i kinda want to reassess my make up stash and unpack some things. I only have 1 milk crate worth of things but I feel like I should reduce even more. I have a basket of nail polish but I bought the Sephora Formula X 22 set last month. I feel like getting rid of my basket of polish (except for Looks Like Rain, Dear - my HG all glitter polish) and just keeping the 22. I also feel like getting rid of the random wet n wild lipsticks that are pretty but i never wear. I hope I'm making the right move. 

"Travel Style" so I've had enough clothes to fit into a carry on and just 1 make up bag. I guess this is what it feels like to be in the Monday Club, right? I've found products that make for an awesome daily look and the only major difference is my shade of lipstick! 

are you already a fan of the Smashbox primer or do you still need to try it out? if you put out an ISO on the swap thread, i'm sure you can find yourself with a ton of smashbox primers very easily (I offered people the cost of a stamp instead of actually trading). I used to be very devoted to the Smashbox primer too! but then i got lazy and dont really wear primer since i only wear tinted moisturizer.

Have you tried using Monistat Anti-Chaffing gel as a primer? its basically a dupe for Smashbox , pretty similar ingredients. When I DO need to use primer, I use that instead. Its like, $7-8 a tube and will last you forever. It also works really well for its intended purpose of not suffering from chaffing ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I have a couple good size samples of the smashbox and some other primer samples, so this month I'm going to be testing them all out to see if it really is as awesome as some say. I had heard that about the anti-chafing gel, so I may try that if I really like the smashbox. I just know that if they do 10x points I'm going to really want to buy SOMETHING, so I'm trying to at least plan for something I don't already have too much of

My thoughts copy/pasted from the July thread:

• Keeping track of my purchases over the last several months has shown that I spend over $400/month on beauty/clothes/etc fun stuff online. 
  • All of my purchases are REALLY good deals. This is good for obvious reasons, and bad because it reinforces the feeling of accomplishment that comes with spending.
  • It appears that I can find a too-good-to-pass-up deal every month (birchbox subscription, kate spade bag last month, etc). I need to assume that this will be true forever - if I'm looking for a deal, there will be one. I do not need to purchase anything now. I probably don't need to purchase anything for a few months.
  • I want to start paying down student loans. They hang over me like bricks. Really expensive useless bricks.
I haven't laid down specific rules very well (or at all?) this year, and it's time to start. I do not want to set myself up for failure. Considering I've been consistently spending over $400 a month, I think $300 is a reasonable, non-negotiable max for August. There is no reason I can't make that.

Especially considering the things I've prepaid for (Julep, Memebox, Birchbox, BeautyDNA)

Hola, ladies.

I'm feeling better today. Stress is still there but at least it's not like it's been...Not wanting to cry from stress like yesterday. I still don't regret my $2 spent on getting 5 blushes. Lord knows I need blush like a need a toothache, but I do love them and sleek has been on my wishlist for a while. Still continuing with my project pan (going strong!), and so that's encouragement. August is really meant to be a no-buy (does my $2 count since it was technically july 30th? xD), especially because CCO will be opening close to home and I am officially off the "no buy" come september 31st, so right now, this is starting to be close to my finish line and I honestly think I can make it through the next two months.

Which is insane when you think about it because I started becoming active in the no buy forum (and MUT in general) back in October...3 months and I'll have spent a year here! and by here I mean specifically in this forum. I have made like 3 posts outside of the no buy forum, I think, and I've made over 700 posts. Can I just say I love you guys? <3

So anyways, a friend told me to do something smart for keeping me interested and motivated on a no-buy and a project pan...to start putting stickers on my makeup telling me the day I acquired the item. That way I'll remember what needs to be used up ASAP. 

@@jaylilee I just started doing that today! It's already helped so much because I know exactly when something is leaving my stash and when I see a favorite product that only has a few months left it really lights a fire under me to use it!

I'm planning on a Sephora trip tomorrow.. first day off my No Buy.. hopefully I can be reasonable. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm planning on doing a low buy again in August. I have a Sephora gift card that I'll allow myself to use next week to take advantage of the 3x points for VIB, and I have some money sitting in Paypal that I can use if I really want to buy something, but otherwise, I'm going to try not to make any purchases.

I'm going on a low-buy for August, well I've been restraining myself this summer, but I will buckle down this month!!

I've really been trying to finish off a lot of my foundations, concealers, powders, bronzers (face products basically), and eye products (mainly mascaras and liners.. shadows take so long to finish off!) this summer.

I'm very proud of myself for doing a Project Pan type activity. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've been making good progress and have been saving all of my empties (for a blog post and pride lol  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ). 

However, note how I said i'm doing a low buy, not a no buy. Simply because I would like to purchase Estee Lauder Double Wear for school (I am sick of touching up in the bathroom at school because of my oil!!) and a Smashbox primer kit I found on Nordstrom's website because I seriously fell in love with their foundation primer and I only have a teeeeeny tiny sample from their Try It Kit. 

The hardest thing for me will be not buying lip products. Lip products are my weakness. I am a sucker for a pretty lipstick and especially those Sephora Give Me Some Lip Sets. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I heard that Sephora is doing 3x points for VIBs Maybe it was for VIB Rouge members)? Can anyone confirm that? But I am a VIB so I would probably purchase the Double Wear during that time for points.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm going on a low-buy for August, well I've been restraining myself this summer, but I will buckle down this month!!

I've really been trying to finish off a lot of my foundations, concealers, powders, bronzers (face products basically), and eye products (mainly mascaras and liners.. shadows take so long to finish off!) this summer.

I'm very proud of myself for doing a Project Pan type activity. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've been making good progress and have been saving all of my empties (for a blog post and pride lol  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ). 

However, note how I said i'm doing a low buy, not a no buy. Simply because I would like to purchase Estee Lauder Double Wear for school (I am sick of touching up in the bathroom at school because of my oil!!) and a Smashbox primer kit I found on Nordstrom's website because I seriously fell in love with their foundation primer and I only have a teeeeeny tiny sample from their Try It Kit. 

The hardest thing for me will be not buying lip products. Lip products are my weakness. I am a sucker for a pretty lipstick and especially those Sephora Give Me Some Lip Sets. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I heard that Sephora is doing 3x points for VIBs Maybe it was for VIB Rouge members)? Can anyone confirm that? But I am a VIB so I would probably purchase the Double Wear during that time for points.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
It's 2x for regular BI, 3x for VIB and 4x for Rouge. The details are in the Sephora thread:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/120473-sephora-codes-deals-sales-and-discussion/page-578?do=findComment&comment=2253783

I have lived both directly next to and on top of a Whole Foods at various points. While I will probably shop there forever, I've started calling it Whole Paycheck.
We just got a Whole Foods in my town and I made the mistake of shopping there. I now cannot get bread, almond butter, lemons, and milk anywhere else. Thanks, Whole Foods! And darn you for being so delicious!

Ok ok ok. I'm giving myself a $50 out of pocket budget for the month of August. I'm going to be FINALLY moving to Nashville at the end of next week (summer classes officially over! Grad school officially done! Thesis officially accepted!). SO even though I'm going to be paid my sign on bonus and will be paid even before my first day of being in the office, I have to be good. I think I will be buying a car, i doubt the boyfriend and I can share one car for too long. I will also have some furniture and other "starting out" costs to keep in mind. Yanno, toilet paper, new spices, etc all add up when you're basically only moving your clothes and starting fresh!!! I also didn't realize how expensive mattresses are... Oopsies.

SO I think $50 is good and will probably go to picking up the pulp fiction palette from sephora when point bonus time starts.
Wow, major congratulations on finishing your masters and moving! $50 is an awesome amount to allow yourself.

Okay, I'll be joining this thread for a 3 month replacement-only no-buy on August 4th. July was my b-day month so I treated myself a bit...which will be spilling over into August for the VIB Rouge event. I'm allowing myself to go, but I have a set list/budget that I need to stick to. And after that, the no-buy starts and lasts until holiday deals start!

I'm torn between stocking up on stuff at the VIB sale and not. I know there will be skincare-type things that I'll run out of over the next couple of months in my "stash" (really whittled down for several categories, go me!)--like my AM serum, my HG moisturizer, etc. On one hand, i want to buy it now just so I'm not buying stuff during my no-buy and to take advantage of the 4x points. On the other hand, I need to STOP HOARDING back ups, and this would go against that. What to do!
Good idea- I think I need to be on a replacment-only no-buy too!

I am obsessed with finding "THE" products for me.  I must stick to the makeup I have whether its crappy or good for the month of August.  :rotfl:
That's my worst problem- finding all the perfect products for me. It's my enemy because I'll have a perfectly decent mascara, for instance, but I keep wanting to find a better one, and it's just... nuts!

Trying to find the perfect products is what gets me in trouble too. What if there's something better out there?? :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Eugh, I wish I didn't think this way, but I can't help it! Heheh!

i'm trying to break the habit of *if* i'm going to make an online purchase, i shouldn't throw random stuff into my cart to hit the magic free shipping number. i'm trying to remind myself that the cost of me going into my car, driving to the mall, looking for that item, and then risking buying other stuff/food/coffee makes that cost more than the $5-8 shipping tag anyway!
Very good point about the shipping! So so good, in fact, that it might just change the way I shop online ...thanks!

looks like I'll be joining you ladies for August, since I was laid off last month, and until I find a new job, I really should stick to the budget. I'm still working out the rules of my no buy/low buy, as there is some stuff I actually need (replacements and manicure tools, since I decided to do my own manicures from now on), and I have some Birchbox points, Sephora gift card and generic gift card that I'm intending to spend on pretties... 
I'm really sorry to hear that you were laid off. I hope you can find a good job soon.

Gearing up for August...my plan.

BUY NOTHING! 

There...

I will be getting the subs I have already paid for (BB x 3, PopSugar, LMDB). I'm canceling From the Lab. I reserve the right to get a Julep box only if I don't have dupes of the colors they bring out and I have to absolutely love the box. 

Other than that, I am well stocked on hair and skin care and should not need a thing.

I really want to be strong and prove to myself that I can do it!

Plus, I'll be getting a swap present...that should hold me over for the month! 
I'm going to have to follow you on this one- buy nothing, with only a few exceptions, which I'll list below, and replacements.

Currently struggling with nail polish, though :scared:   (there's a good deal and my nail polish rack isn't full yet <-- enabler logic)
Oh isn't that just the way? I just bought 3 nail polishes that I'll probably never use, but they were pretty and they were on clearance and... I don't have very many nail polishes anyway. That's my logic. Eugh!

Back