Backing off MAC

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm fed with them as well, so i rarely buy anything now that bears a MAC stamp. I think it's also partially because of all those collections and items you have to have because they're LE. I don't like that. If i like a product i also like to be able to repurchase another bottle. I feel the same way about the LE items, I hate the whole idea. MAC has become quite commercialized.

It's just their way of getting loyal customers to buy more and sooner. Ever notice they have more LE collections since the economy in the US went kaplunk?

I won't give up MAC, but as of now, I pretty much have almost everything I would need. Most of their new products look similar enough that if I blended one color with another, I could get that in the blend.

I bought some MAC not too long ago and honestly I didn't really like the colors after I brought them home. I returned the blush and gave one eyeshadow to my neighbour who really loves it. I'm finding the colors to be the same old thing and there are duplicates out there. I'm venturing out, especially since Sephora opened here. Also I'm liking some drugstore eyeshadows like Annabelle, GOSH primer,eyeliners etc. They have just as good pigment in my opinion.

The only thing I really thought of purchasing from Mac was thier Barbie lipstick and thier Hello Kitty line.

Both are LE though, and I really liked them for the COLOR, so after awhile, replacing them would be a rare thing.

I've never used a MAC product- not even once. I've used a few MAX Factor lipglosses and to me, they look like most of the same colors as MAC? I've only seen pictures and swatches online, but the lipglosses really do remind me of quite a few MAC colors.

I just bought a MAX Factor lipgloss for about $3 on clearance in the shade Two to Tango and it looks very similar to another mac gloss I saw on Ebay (Don't ask me what the name is... I have no idea).

Most of those Mac glosses are like $10-$12, and I couldn't imagine spending THAT much on a gloss I can get a similar version of for 1/3 of the price.

MAC to me, is a security blanket. It's where I started my whole journey into the world of makeup. Like Internetchick said I'm not ready to completely give up MAC. Although there have been numerous price increases they are still a moderately low priced brand for the quality they produce. LE SUCKS! One thing I can give up is hunting down products on eBay that are no longer available. MUFE HERE I COME.

Originally Posted by Lucy /img/forum/go_quote.gif i actually only own one mac item, it's a creme blush. i've been tempted by the nail polishes a few times but after hearing reports on quality, backed off. i HATE the mac shop here in liverpool so rarely go in, that's probably why i own so little. i also just don't see all the fuss. Tell me about it Lucy, the only time I've received good service in there was from the guy who works in the store. I'm not an avid MAC fan, I can't see me getting much else besides blush and lipsticks from them. The only other thing I want is a mini palette of neutrals for doing pin-up and old glamour looks. As a brand, I find they've gone a bit 'meh'. I don't go in a go WOW anymore. The only brand with that ability these days is Illamasqua (I still need to try them out though). But MAC? Not a huge fan but I like some of their stuff.

I'm not saying that I'm totally never going to buy from MAC again. I have been a MAC addict snob for years thinking they were the best thing since peanut butter and jelly and now I am coming out of my spell and my eyes are being opened to things about MAC that I don't like. Now, I want to branch out and try other brands that I know have awesome products, too, like MUFE, NARS, Lorac, Illamasqua - I don't know about Smashbox now since everyone is saying they're very hit or miss. Before I would buy MAC and only MAC feeling like they were the best and had the cosmetics industry cornered. There are some things that I get from MAC and will continue to purchase - basically I will only re-up on things that I am very attached to (certain e/s's/ lustre glasses). No more MAC binges, and as I run out of things, I will be looking elsewhere to replace those items.

I've pretty much become a MUFE girl now but i haven't given up totally on MAC. I have backed off though. I still think they make good products but yeah, the constant LE products can be a bit frustrating. I'm trying to get into Inglot and Illamasqua as well.

When it comes to eyeshadow, I have been using Milani and MUFE and have no complaints. Every time I get excited about a new MAC shadow, I end up being disappointed with it. The pigments are the only eye color worth buying, IMO. I really do love the MAC Chromaline eyeliner, but that is about it. I am getting into beauty supply store brands and drug store brands more than ever.

Good on you its always great to break away and experiment i have no one brand I use many but I do love benefit !!!! MAC isnt as big over here as it is in the states as it isnt as widley available I do like there glosses but thats it Im afraid !!!!! bobbi brown do some lush shadows as do prescriptives xxxxxxxxxx

Did Clinique change their eye shadow? I tried it years ago, and it didn't even compare to MAC.

I would never buy something just because it's a certain brand, but I do think MAC has great products of great value.

I can never stay away from MAC for too long. I try and love many other brands but I won't boycott MAC (or any brands for that matter). I still feel like they offer great quality for the price. I love their eyeshadows (especially vp and satin), lipsticks, lipgloss, paint pots and blushes.

I'm not one to buy something from all MAC LE collections, so the number of them doesn't bother me. If I like something from a collex I buy it, if not I don't. It's like fashion trends; there are tones and tones of trends each year, do I have to buy an item of clothing from each trend? no, I buy what suites me and what I like
smile.gif

Given all of that, I loooove Nars blushes, sheer glow foundation, matte velvet pencil and some of their semi matte lipsticks. I'm recently getting into their eyeshadow duos as well. I enjoy MUFE HD and F&B foundations, their eyeliners and their matte eyeshadows. Stila has great eyeshadows and eyeliners as well. Bobbi Brown's shimmerbricks and her gel liners are the boss!

Originally Posted by jazzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif i need to go on a no buy before my husband does a drive by on me. lmao!
But truth be told. I posted in this thread about them not being worthwhile, yet their lipsticks still pull me in. I want Violetta and Show Orchid, and if they repromote Lavender Whip, I'll prolly get that too...

i am a brand 'ho, will buy what i like from any and every brand.

however i have a special love for the CCO's and as long as i can buy discounted mac there i will
smile.gif

I never got completly into MAC, I think it's cause MAC fans scare me. I know a girl who has MAC tattoo'd on her wrist >_> I'm not even that big on HE cosmetics. There are some I love, but if I find a cheaper version of something I like....I'm getting it cheaper.

The closest MAC store is kinda far away, and I've had bad experiences there. First I was matched the wrong undertone (though I think MAC foundations overdo the undertones with way to much pink and yellow), then they gave me the completely wrong foundation, plus most of the time they're not helpful at all with my questions.

I don't know, MACs got some pretty good things but I can't really think of anything that I'd have to get there since I feel like other brands kinda cover the same ground as them.

I have never been a MAC fan...nor will I start to be. Just not a product that I have ever supported. I have used from the lower end to the higher and now I just stick with the natural ingredient companies, and not at all with just the hype of a name.

I'm a fan of many brands, but I'll always love MAC lipsticks and glosses. Totally awesome, and worth the money IMO.

NARS is the best for blushes, but I also adore my MAC beauty powder blushes. I will continue to buy those three MAC products forever. Oh, paints are great too.

I really like their shadows, but I don't think I'll be buying anymore, considering I already have 150+

I'm good with the pigments I have too... 50+

MAC products that I'll never buy again: foundation, concealer, mascara, mineral blushes... I'm also losing my love for MSFs. They're just overdone.

Their brushes are awesome too, but I think I am stocked for a long time.

I've definitely cut back with buying MAC though.

I'm miffed that palettes are $14 now, but I still love only having to pay $11 for eyeshadow pans and $14 for lippies.

If I bought just one lippie and eyeshadow per paycheck, It wouldn't leave a huge dent in my wallet, and I'd soon have all the colors I like.

MAC MAs can be quite annoying at times, but then again, Sephora SAs are infinitely worse.

The constant LE collections can be kind of stupidly over the top, but I just control myself and look out for dupes in the perm line. I rarely ever find absolute HGs in LE items.

I've been fed up with the LE game ever since I got into makeup a few years ago. Thankfully I only buy 1 or 2 things if that every few collections, so they won't have my wallet under siege. I don't like having to use a lip product right away everytime to see if I need to buy a backup because it will be gone in a few weeks.

If they kept collections out for a season or two, I can deal with that. Every few weeks? Forget it.

I dont give LE collections a lot of attention. There are always other goodies coming up sooner or later...

Back