Backing off MAC

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, MAC is cool and all. And i guess your super hip if you own a bunch of thier products, but i really think it's becoming more of a name then an actual product. I feel like a lot of people buy MAC just because it's MAC. there are so many more options out there...I just understand the appeal. And they never have sales. Never. 

Originally Posted by Kattatonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I mean, MAC is cool and all. And i guess your super hip if you own a bunch of thier products, but i really think it's becoming more of a name then an actual product. I feel like a lot of people buy MAC just because it's MAC. there are so many more options out there...I just understand the appeal. And they never have sales. Never. 

Only way to get them cheaper is by going to a CCO. Even then they mostly have DC items or LE from past collections. Nothing in the permanent line.

Originally Posted by Maris Crane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, a brand that has to consistently rely on limited edition product to get people interested, is at the very least, fishy. Why are they hiding behind gimmick after gimmick?
I have to agree with you. MAC has seen some what of a decline in products since the original owners sold it. When it was sold it no longer comes across as being a true "makeup artist" brand but rather another overpriced high end dept store brand. Shame too. I miss the old MAC.

Originally Posted by JaeLeep /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am confused.. original owners? You mean when they sold to Estee Lauder?

Pretty much. Frank Toskan and Frank Angelo created MAC then Estee Lauder acquired controlling interest. A few years later Frank Angelo died and I think Toskan is now more focused on the Toskan-Casale Foundation than MAC.

AHHH ok.. thanks.. I did not know the names of the original owners. I think someone told me before they were always owned by Clinique.. but I knew that couldn't be right because I knew there were 2 creators of MAC. Anywho, thanks for the response!

I still do like some eyeshadows.. some not so much. I MUCH prefer INGLOT <3. I will still buy pigments, gloss, lipstick and paint pots cause I really like those. Until they make those products crap, I will still purchase those items. But no more shadows for me, I just can't do it. One reason I have started to sell off alot of my shadows.

when it comes to the limited edition collections, i'm going to have to start backing off MAC. it's getting ridiculous with MAC releasing like 2-3 L.E collections on the same day.  Instead, how about some new permanent items, instead of all of this limited edition stuff.  Too many collections being released and not enough time in between.  My wallet can't keep up, and honestly, a lot of the stuff is just not worth the hype.  I'll still be shopping at MAC when I see something that I like or to refill items that ran out, but I'm not going to get into the L.E. hype anymore. 

I've found that out with MAC shadows too.  I have a few of them, and I even returned a few because I was disappointed with the quality. Urban Decay shadows beat MAC's out of the water

Originally Posted by Diana Mangual /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i realized mac shadows arent all they are cracked up to be either. For example i bought "passionate" really excited it seemed like this gorgeous rose pink. Well guess what it BARELY shows up. I feel like i have to pack it on and on to get any color. The only eyeshadows I like from mac are the satin and veluxe pearl and (a select few) of matte ones. Most of the eyeshadows you can find elsewere for cheaper. and now urban decay and drugstore brands like e.l.f are creating gorgeous and pigmented shimmer shades as well. Inglot is absolutely awesome and underrated. When i do makeup on women they are always like "i want you to use mac on me" solely because they hear people saying all this rave with mac this and mac that ohhhh how amazing mac mac mac. People need to broaden their horizons when it comes to makeup. Theres tons of amazing makeup out there that isnt mac. My favorite is actually tarte...you can get gorgeous palletes(with great pigmentation) for like 40 bucks with 8-10 colors!!....anyway thats just me airing out my mac frustrations..lol

I seriously regret buying the MAC products I did months ago, because though they were undeniably of very good quality and calibre, I now know I could have gotten some other products instead from other companies that would have been much cheaper, and even possibly of better quality than MAC.

Like, instead of the red lipstick/liner from MAC, I should've gotten Elf (eyeslipsface)'s lipstain in red.

It sucks so hard to find good deals AFTER you splurged ;_____;

I'm now REALLY into Elf (eyeslipsface.com), they have really good products for extremely cheap, so no need to waste so much on MAC anymore.

Sure, there's only a couple of MAC products I'm gonna buy now, but there's definitely better options out there.

And it's so ANNOYING how a lot of really pretty MAC stuff I would've wanted is in a now discontinued LE collection. -______-''

Back