Bad MAC Luck?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Charmaine,

I do go to Holyoke, but usually only about twice a year. There is another mall in Western MA I've been to, about 1/2 hour from Worcester, off of 495, which one is that? Do they have MAC there? Will you be working in a Filenes in a mall?

Jen

Originally Posted by QurlySq ok so i decided to give MAC another go while i was on my trip to cincinatti... my thoughts were, maybe it was just the stores in this area because they were relatively new or whatever other rationalization i could come up with.... so i go to this MAC store at the mall and got 0 customer service.... oh, wait, there was the one person who, after i stood there looking cluelessly at the shelves for like 10 minutes, asked "what are u looking for?" and when, in relief, i started to tell them how i was looking for a shadestick, they pointed me to the shadestick testers and goes off on their merry way... dammit, i didn't want to buy a tester!!!... so, in frustration, i left.... does it REALLY have to be this hard??
icon_sad.gif
Damn Qurly! You don't have much luck at MAC do ya?? lol You have to come to NY - the MA's at the counter & freestanding store out here are AWESOME!!! They'll stay with you forever!!! (Although I probably wouldn't be buying as much if I didn't have someone telling me how to use this w/ that and showing me something else... I can go broke!!!) LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif

i just went back to mac the other day, and i was shocked at how nice everyone was at the mac store by me! they were about to close, and the woman tried out all sorts of shadows on me and was really, really helpful. the other time i went to mac, a different woman helped me and was also very helpful. as soon as i walk in someone asks me if i need any help. i didn't wear any makeup when i went in - just concealer. perhaps my appearance was disarming!

and i know that the sephora girls at my mall are really chummy with the girls at mac. perhaps it is "southern hospitality", but we aren't that far south of the mason-dixon line here in northern va! i also saw the three girls working at mac complimenting a girl shopping on what a beautiful job she does with her makeup. it must vary location to location. come on down south y'all! people really are nicer i think ...

I feel really lucky to have such nice people working at my counter since it seems like everyone else has bad experiences!! The SAs at my counter are awesome - there's a couple of people I REALLY like in particular, but I've not had a bad experience with any of them. I guess it helps that I go enough that they recognize me!
wink.gif
However, when I had to travel farther away for MAC (like an hour), I found the SAs at that counter to be great too!! Actually my fave male SA left that counter and is at mine now...
smile.gif

I went to the MAC counter at Nordies (my usual counter) and I waited like 10 minutes until someone noticed that I was waiting. All of the MA's were talking to this other girl who appeared to be their friend. When one of the MA's finally noticed me, I told her that I had put some stuff and hold. She gave me the items that I wanted and then left. I hadn't even paid yet! I finally got another MA's attention and paid for my items.

Originally Posted by Laura You should visit Joy at her counter. I'm sure she'd give you special treatment! Awww, thanks Laura! If you ever come to Los Angeles, you have to visit me!!! :icon_love
Sigh, it makes me sad to hear about all this awful service people have received at MAC.
icon_cry.gif
It is such a poor reflection of the company's values. If you have a bad experience SA, say something to the manager before you leave or write a letter to the store. Yea, everyone has bad days, but it's just unacceptable for an artist to be so blatantly rude.

And on the flip side, if there is an awesome artist who goes above and beyond to help you, write the manager a letter as well! A customer recently wrote a complimentary note about me and that just made my day!

I know that in the Los Angeles region MAC has been sending out secret shoppers from within the company. Like a counter manager from Orange County might come out to our location in West Los Angeles to see what kind of service we are giving. Definitely keeps us on our toes!

I think of myself as being pretty down-to-earth, and I love chatting with people, sharing tricks/techniques, introducing people to colors that they maybe have been too nervous to try before. I'm trying hard to break the stereotype!

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Awww, thanks Laura! If you ever come to Los Angeles, you have to visit me!!! You can be sure i will if i ever do visit!!

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Damn Qurly! You don't have much luck at MAC do ya?? lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif
lol, yeah... apparently the MAC gods are like, "nu uh... none for her"...

Originally Posted by QurlySq lol, yeah... apparently the MAC gods are like, "nu uh... none for her"... Maybe that's a good thing, in a way!! Think of all the $$ you save!!

QURLY!

Get thee to the MACCOSMETICS.COM site and FIRE OFF A NASTY GRAM TO THEM! Tell them OFF.. Hopefully you got a name or something, if you have a reciept, there should be some identifying info on there.. Either that or go BACK there and get that name. Tell them all the CRAP you have been putting up with, tell them you are telling all your friends too!.

DONT TAKE THAT CRAP!!!!!! Oh, and you will most likely get a nice gift in the mail..I know when i wrote them a hatenote, i got a nice lipglass..

6 years later - things have improved.... I finally got decent service at a MAC counter!!!

of course this is also the first time i've been to a MAC counter since probably when I posted this originally, but hey, let's not quibble over the basics... lol

i went specifically to get some fix+ and waited patiently for someone to get it for me.... they were pretty busy and one dude was holding up the line with his extremely complicated order then purchase, and the MUA who first acknowledged me was helping him, while the other one was doing some elaborate routine on someone else.... so i ended up with the MUA who was just starting her shift... she didn't seem all that knowledgeable (i waited so long that i ended up finding an eyeliner that i wanted to try) but she got me exactly what i asked for and didn't try to push anything else on me...

so they've now upgraded from an F to a D+... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

(this was in Richmond, VA by the way)

Wow.

I live in the UK and at my MAC counter I can't fault them. They're really helpful if they see you browsing they'll ask if you need any help etc.

I went in the other week as I wanted an MSF Natural and some Studio Finish Concealer, the MUA was really friendly and helpful and sat me down to colour match each product to my skin. Despite the counter always been busy I feel they take their time with you and service doesn't seem rushed or pushy.

If only all MAC counters were this good! 

This is so awesome that you have returned to your thread from years ago to give us an update!  Excellent top MakeupTalk member!  Thank you

Originally Posted by QurlySq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

6 years later - things have improved.... I finally got decent service at a MAC counter!!!

of course this is also the first time i've been to a MAC counter since probably when I posted this originally, but hey, let's not quibble over the basics... lol

i went specifically to get some fix+ and waited patiently for someone to get it for me.... they were pretty busy and one dude was holding up the line with his extremely complicated order then purchase, and the MUA who first acknowledged me was helping him, while the other one was doing some elaborate routine on someone else.... so i ended up with the MUA who was just starting her shift... she didn't seem all that knowledgeable (i waited so long that i ended up finding an eyeliner that i wanted to try) but she got me exactly what i asked for and didn't try to push anything else on me...

so they've now upgraded from an F to a D+... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

(this was in Richmond, VA by the way)

Wow!

I'm so sorry everyone had such bad experiences with MAC counters. I rediscovered my love for their product and have been there almost once a week since. It must be the location. I live in Houston, TX and the girls here are so wonderful. When its busy they let me know they'll come in a bit. I've never had those types of experiences. Sorry ladies :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Do the SAs get some kind of extra training when they work at a MAC inside another store? It appears that you tend to get better treatment there then at freestanding MAC counters. I was just browsing for barely a second at the MAC counter at Macys in Salem, NH and BAM the SA was right there asking if I needed any help. Meanwhile at the MAC counter at the Westfarms Mall in Farmington, CT, I might as well have been invisible.

The only difference between counters vs stores is the product available and the fact that stores honour the pro-discount.  In my experience counters tend to me a more relaxed setting though, so maybe that reflects on the overall mood of the MA's.

That said, I think poor customer service is ridiculous.  I've worked it before though which makes my expectations high.  I don't take things personally anymore, but I have no problem calling someone out on the spot or speaking to the manager/supervisor.

I dunno, in NY the SAs have something corking their behinds, here in Houston, they're relaxed and helpful. Sometimes a lil too friendly, but that's ok.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. Thank goodness the girls who work in my local MAC store are sweethearts. It just goes to show you customer service isn't a big thing companies are looking for anymore. It's really sad. I would most def order on their website if you have any more trouble.
heart.gif

In my experience with the Mac SA's here in Los Angeles where I live, i've found them to be the worst at Macy's.  They're young and have "no" clue about customer service. So for that reason, I drive out of my way and go to Bloomingdales where I know i'll receive excellent customer service.  Honestly, when I go makeup shopping, i'm spending at least $200-$300 buying items from certain collections or miscellaneous things that I need and honestly... i'm a little spoiled and I want individual/personalized service from "beginning to end". 

I waited to late to pick up the items I wanted from the Wonder Woman collection and Bloomingdales had sold out of the Bronzers, I REALLY wanted them so I was so disappointed.  My SA called their Mac Distributor while I was standing their and arranged for them ship them to my home.  I was floored!!!

I've had similar experiences to the first post at MAC. I find the SA's "cool & aloof" & if they finally acknowledge me (most times they ignore me) they treat me like I'm not going to buy anything so I'm wasting their time. I must say, I do a lot of shopping in comfy (not too fashionable clothing) & no makeup, but that's no excuse. You don't judge a book by their cover. The person with ripped clothing could actually be a millionaire.

I gave up & went to Inglot. Their Customer Service is as outstanding as their products & part of the whole experience. They don't ignore me, but they don't push me & are really helpful to show me products even when I make it clear I'm not buying it that day. It makes me want to go back & spend my money there.

Back