Best foundation for covering up large pores? :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's an old post but if someone search for this like me I can give you my answer for how I take care of my large pores. I have them everywhere but they are worst on my cheeks and nose. I have oily skin and had some acne in the past. Sometimes nowadays too but not all the time. 

I use Benefit Porefessional as a primer and that one is the best one I have tried for my pores. It doesn't make them disappear 100% but they do look so huge! Then I apply Lancome Teint ultra 24h foundation on top of it. It's longlasting and looks natural and feels great on the skin, doesn't clog pores. On top I use Bare minerals mineral veil just to make it last a little longer and to give a little bit more matte finish. This also helps a little in blurring the pores and fine lines although it's more temporary.

For skincare I use MD formulations and it has helped a bit with the pores and acne but once you have large pores I don't really think there is much to do about it really. I do use clay masque once a week and just after it my pores looks small but that is just for a short period of time. I have also tried the Peter Thomas Roth instant firmX and it works great on both fine lines and large pores. It smoothes the skin. But to use that every day would be time consuming and expensive.

One thing I've found that really helps with large pores is using a retinol cream cream at night. I use ROC deep wrinkle cream. I had never even thought of trying this before the nurse at the dermatologist recommended it.

You can try the Bourjois Flower Perfection foundation. It's pretty thick, so it has a great coverage. If you use it with a primer, it gets lighter. That's the one i'm using right now, and it's pretty good. I have tried everything from Lancome to Chanel to all the foundations i read good reviews about, but i must say this is the best one for me. The formula in this one is also made for young skin, and has SPF 15 in it. Go to Sephora, get a sample, and try it out. 

I am 44 so I have fine lines..well maybe a few wrinkes, but I prefer to see them as fine lines. I also have big pores...no I have huge pores. I use a daily wash and toner, do facials, etc. as suggested below, but heredity just gives some of us large pores. I hate them and I am looking for anything that will make them look as small as possible too.

This is what I have found works the best for me so far. I use Oil of Olays Filling and Sealing Wrinkle Treatment.($19.00) I use this for the fine lines, but I also use it to help fill in my pores. This will last you a few months, and be sure you keep bending and squishing the tube once you think you have ran out, because you will be able to eek out a lot more than you realize. I then use Maybeline's Dream Liquid Mousse ($10.00) (the bottle with the pump, not the mousse in the jar), I know some of you may think "Maybelline? Really?", but it actually works great for me, and I have tried a lot of different brands.  I follow up with Makeup Forever's Microfinish HD Powder. This powder is amazing, it is ultra fine, like nothing else I have ever tried, and it is clear, so your skin tone does not matter. The powder is really the trick I think. It is 30.00 at Sephora. It will last you a few months. I use a nice fluffy power puff to apply it vs. a brush because it seems to work better that way for me and I loose less powder flying off into the air. Oh and do not put the powder on until you have put everything else on. Once the powder is on you cannot really apply blush on top of it, so the powder goes on last. Your face will look even better a couple of hours after you put all of this stuff on!! 

I often have people tell me how great my skin looks, and my aunt says she would never guess that I have big pores, but let me tell you they are huge!! I am always on the look out for anything new to try and make my makeup routine easier though, and to make my pores look microscopic.

My pores are pretty noticeable too most days so I'll put Benefit's POREfessional on my t-zone over my primer, then my foundation (Clinique's Even Better liquid foundation) and then finally my Too Faced's translucent poweder. My pores seriously look nonexistant!

I think concealing pores is more a matter of technique rather than product. Try using a stippling brush and swirling the foundation into your skin.

I have a few questions for Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation or Tinted Moisturizer users.

I myself use the Silk Creme Foundation and I love it, except for the fact that sometimes I feel it makes my skin feel oily at times. Anyone else have a situation with this and how do you resolve it, or have you found something that gives the great coverage of Laura Mercier but reduces the oily finish?

Also has anyone traveled with a Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation tube before?  I just started using this products a few months ago and haven't traveled with it before and I am worried it might explode while on a plane, I am planning to fly all the way to Milan this summer for 5 weeks and want to know if I should re-pot it or bring an alternative foundation just in case it explodes.

Thanks for the help!

I understand the issue about large pores. Mine are on the side of my nose. I simply take a powder puff, or a flocked sponge, dip it in a bit of powder, then press and roll. Gossmakeupartist on youtube does a video showing how to do it, I just can't find it at the moment. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also use a cream theater foundation when I just want that flawless skin. Mine is from graftobian and doesn't break me out and covers up all those annoying acne scars and dark marks. Oh, another way to fill them in is to take a cream foundation, tear a sponge in half, and use the uneven texture of the sponge to fill in those areas. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Another trick from Goss XD
Hope I helped!

I find Skin79 BB cream  with ELF's HD powder makes my pores disappear. Truly awesome stuff. You pat the BB cream in the places where the pores are large and they go away.

Check out gossmakeupartist on youtube. He has great videos, but to the point, he has one on how to make your pores virtually disappear that is amazing. You might not even need to change foundation. Everyone else might know this trick but I didn't. I would just use a regular foundation brush to put mine on. BTW I use Estee Lauder Double Wear.

I'm also super happy with Benefit's Porefessional! LOVE that stuff. 

I've also been using Missha BB Cream for about a week now and I find it also to be quite effective at minimizing my pores. Might stick to this from now one as it also provides some coverage to even out my skin tone!

Technique does have a bug effect in the finish you'll get, for sure. Stippling on with a Sigma F82 works best for me. As does using the least amount of product possible. A good powder can also help. I agree regarding ELF's HD powder. It's powdered dimethicone & a few other ingredients, unlike any other powder I have tried before. It blurs the appearance of pores a great deal. I apply a thin layer over top of my finishing powder. I use it just for the blurring effect it gives, not to set my makeup. I normally cannot use any silicone based products, including primer or foundation, but this powder doesn't bother my skin at all. Only $3 for a large jar. I've also found, to my surprise, that cream-type, wax based foundations work far better than others, especially liquids. At the moment I'm in love with my MAQ Pro foundation palette. Gorgeous gorgeous finish this foundation has. Stippled really well into the skin it looks like natural skin, but better. It also has excellent coverage. This used together with my finishing powder & a light dusting of ELF's HD powder over it works really well. I personally disagree regarding primer. I hate what it does to my skin - breakout city - and what it does to my makeup. It doesn't reduce the look of my pores at all, either. This stuff is rubbish for me. And yes, I can testify to the fact that good retinol creams can really refine the texture of the skin a great deal, resulting in the pores looking significantly smaller. It also heals & prevents new breakouts. Love the stuff. And as Zazi mentioned, masks also help me, as does daily exfoliation.

I use Porefessional by Benefit. It doesn't make them disappear, but it definitely makes a difference! I use it on my nose and chin (because apparently, my chin has giant pores) after I wash my face, it seems to help! I try not to pile on too much makeup on my nose, because that does seem to make it worse..

Originally Posted by annacristina /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've also been using Missha BB Cream for about a week now and I find it also to be quite effective at minimizing my pores. Might stick to this from now one as it also provides some coverage to even out my skin tone!
I've also been using Missha BB Cream since late Feb -- I absolutely love it!  It works well with my combination sensitive skin, and it does an awesome job of minimizing the appearance of my huge pores (nose + cheeks).

Try Estee Lauder Maximum coverage and use Bye Bye Pores from IT cosmetics, I have oily, acne-proned skin with pores, and this is amazing!

I love Estee Lauder's foundations.  If you go to any of their make-up counters you can get a 7 day sample to see how you like them before you buy.  

I have just recently started following up my foundation with Physican's Formula Mineral Wear Powder in Translucent color.  (I am SUPER fair skinned too).  It makes my skin look flawless!  

Try Vincent Longo applied with sponge. Use a light touch. Let dry and then use very light powder finish. Touch up with rice powder tissues .

I do not recommend foundation to cover up pores. 

Rather buy a pore refiner to matte your skin and hide the pores. 

and then put on foundation

I use Dr. Brandt Pore Refiner and L O V E IT 

I have huge pores too on my nose especially.  I remember when i was in my 20s a lady got on the bus and she had all these little dots on her nose and i couldn't figure out how she got that way... .now i know.

i've tried mineral powder, gell, primers... major brands.

so after reading this forum i'm going to try revlon colorstay.  and the maybelline liquid moose....

there is one mineral type powder that did have some success and that was Lauren hutton.  which i will order more of.  but i find powder to look dry and i want my face to look dewy  i'm in my 40s. 

I have had great luck with Philosophy's perfect for every day use and also as a primer.  but money is very tight so i have to head to  the drug store for the first time in a while.

will let you know...S.

Back