Best foundation for covering up large pores? :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I concur with others, Benefit Professional and Dr Brandt Pore professional both seem to help. Try some samples from Sephora and see what you think before buying.

Hi, 

I've been looking for a good light weight foundation for years... I am 50 years and I started experiencing acne and large pores and oily skin in my late 20's.... I've been using very expensive products and everything made my face cakey and my pores looked even bigger.....  I found last year a great foundation, I was shocked it is a very light weight and it covers well and not cakey... it is AMERICAN BEAUTY and its cheap.... 

Some cheap products work great!

To soften the look of large pores I start with an oil control product, I us super matte anti shine by professional cosmetics, apply foundation, set and then I take a matte powder eye shadow in nude, nude is not the name but a color that is slightly lighter than your skin tone, apply with a soft brush like a goat hair, over the apple area of the cheek and then with a powder puff or a clean piece of sponge very lightly wipe the product off the surface of the skin, the deep areas will still retain the color and create a highlighted effect so the depth will be less noticeable.

You could substitute the eye shadow for a pressed powder that is lighter than your skin tone, but be sure to keep it matte.

This works all the time for me.

Good luck let me know if you try it.

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find Skin79 BB cream  with ELF's HD powder makes my pores disappear. Truly awesome stuff. You pat the BB cream in the places where the pores are large and they go away.
I had a similar realization where I thought everything looked fine, using the same stuff forever, then suddenly noticed huge pores and terrible shine.  Porefessional didn't do anything, and primers didn't help.  Tried a bunch of stuff (including Colorstay) with no difference, and then Skin79 pink BB Cream worked for me, too.  LOVE it!  I've used it for about 3 weeks and ordered another to make sure I don't get surprised with a run-out!  It's only about $13.50 on Amazon, and gets here in about a week and a half.

I agree about Revlon Colorstay. It is actually a very decent product for the price. I think you will have no problem finding a shade for you, as my problem with it is their shades tend to be too light. Another product I'm in love with (much more expensive but lasts forever) is Hourglass Immacualte Liquid Powder Foundation. This goes on nice and light and has great matifying qualities. I have skin that sounds very similar to yours and this is my favorite foundation. It is currently out of stock at Sephora due to a repackaging issue (they are fixing the pump on the bottle cause it doesn't work very well). It is supposed to be back in stores in December. Hope this helps!

Also thanks for everyone's replies. I amcurious to try a couple of the other products mentioned on here!

I just got Clinique's Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfecting foundation this week.  So far, I'm really liking it.  It applies smoothly without settling into my pores and does indeed seem to minimize them.  I'd say it gives medium coverage, but is buildable. 

It is with great interest that I read the responses to this question regarding a foundation that will not enhance visible pores.
Pore visibility comes for many reasons -- not always proper facial cleansing techniques.  Post menopausal woman have this issue as well.

Fair skinned, sensitive skinned people (not just women) generally have allergies to SO MANY products on the market.  To minimize the appearance of my fair, skinned, now visible pores, I use a home galvanic spa by NuSkin, but it is costly to do so. Unlike the asker, I have very dry skin but am also very fair. 
Hoping you find one that works and I will follow your post regularly for advice :)

Estee Lauder's Doublewear Stay-In-Place makeup hands down is the best you will use for this particular issue. When I worked as a beauty advisor/makeup artist with Estee Lauder, this foundation was the best for this particular issue and most women would purchase it almost instantaneously because of the incredible results that followed. 

Yes there are good ways to cover the pores in the morning with foundation or powder, with primers or whatever And it do look great in the morning! Sure! But when you have oily skin this just melts and in a few hours the pores are back and looks huge again.

I have now a different product that I use and that is a cream foundation. I found that this covers up the pores pretty good if you use a good brush and swirl and buff it in the pores (like the tutorial by Wayne Goss). This also has a very good coverage and it stays that way all day long. The only problem I have is the shine! But that can be taken care of with blotting papers etc.

I do not use any primer with this foundation because it doesn't work well with silicone primers.

The cream foundation I use is Kett and that is also from watching Gossmakeupartist on Youtube! :)

Back