Best Mascara Tricks...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm trying to wear false lashes but the ones I got of ELF at Target came with NO glue in the tube? What the heck?

Divadoll: Yeah, I started applying the L'Oreal Lash Boost Serum only at nights now lol.  And thanks, DonnaJ. Looks like I'll be trying out more waterproof mascaras from now on.

Originally Posted by Juntra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for sharing this tip. I've never tried using two different mascaras before. 

I also would like to ask:

Do any of you have short, super-straight eyelashes?  I do, and not just that, but they also point DOWN. If my eyelashes don't stay curled, they are perfect for protecting my eyes from a sandstorm.  I'll curl my eyelashes and after I apply mascara, they don't stay curled, and they go back to pointing straight down. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I feel like only a couple of mascaras I use keep my lashes staying curled, but the majority I've used revert my eyelashes to sandstorm mode.

Does anyone know of a trick to keep eyelashes staying curled after having mascara applied? 
I think most asians have this problem.  Mine do this too.  The only mascara I've found that keeps my lashes curled is Maybelline waterproof mascaras.  Everything else turns my lashes back to straight.  I can't even use an eyelash primer because they'll be straight in about 30 sec.  I have tried TONS of brands too.  My current love is lash stiletto.

Originally Posted by SarraSanborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well I'm trying to wear false lashes but the ones I got of ELF at Target came with NO glue in the tube? What the heck?

I hear their eyelash glue is terrible anyways.  IF you are luck enough to not get a  dried up tube that is.

Another thing I heard (I read a lot of beauty and nail blogs) is that Duo makes the best lash adhesive, so you might want to hit the drugstore for some of that, Sarra.

Thanks guys, I think I'll hit up a drugstore on the way home on Sunday Night/Monday Morning. ELF is going to send me a bigger tube of it since I got a few pairs that were all dried up for me to try but I wanna play with them noww :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by DonnaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another thing I heard (I read a lot of beauty and nail blogs) is that Duo makes the best lash adhesive, so you might want to hit the drugstore for some of that, Sarra.
Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use Duo and I LOVE it.

I've heard this a couple of times and I must say that it works, BUT for me it only works with the really cheap brands...

My mascara tip is to use a mascara with a primer. My #1 mascara for 2 years or so is L'oreal beauty tubes mascara.

I have preached on this forum about it a while ago. No matter what mascara I try, I always come back to my baby haha.

It has a primer and after, works with tubes and makes my lashes super long, super thick and I can build the volume and lenght up.

I love the tubing part for two reasons:

1. No more panda eyes. The tubes are removed with plenty of warm water.

2. My lashes are longer and healthier. you dont have to rub and all to get your mascara off. My lashes have grown a lot since Im using this mascara....

So... My ultimate tip for faux looking lashes: Buy L'oreal beauty tubes!!!

I've been using 2 different.. sometimes 3 mascaras at once for a few years now. It woulds great! However, just be careful with clumping.

Originally Posted by Juntra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for sharing this tip. I've never tried using two different mascaras before. 

I also would like to ask:

Do any of you have short, super-straight eyelashes?  I do, and not just that, but they also point DOWN. If my eyelashes don't stay curled, they are perfect for protecting my eyes from a sandstorm.  I'll curl my eyelashes and after I apply mascara, they don't stay curled, and they go back to pointing straight down. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I feel like only a couple of mascaras I use keep my lashes staying curled, but the majority I've used revert my eyelashes to sandstorm mode.

Does anyone know of a trick to keep eyelashes staying curled after having mascara applied? 
Hey Juntra, I've found that sometimes mascara formula can help with this too.  Everyone was right about waterproof formulas, once those dry they usually stay put!  But also some formulas are too heavy for tiny lash hairs.  Some whipped formulas can help with this, like Fresh Supernova and Firebird mascaras.  The more natural based brands tend to make lighter formulas.  Good luck!

Ladies who are afraid of false lashes, don't be!  They have actually saved my natural lashes from falling out, I swear by them every day.  I use a lot less mascara this way, so makeup removal doesn't pull them out.  The glue is rubber and/or latex based and designed to pull right off gently.  I have never lost a real lash this way since I started this 5 years ago.  I wrote all about this awhile ago because I love lashes so so much!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

And yes I LOVE to layer mascaras!  Voluminous with Lash Stiletto, awesome!

Juntra when you're about to use your eyelash curler blast it with the blowdryer to make it warm (same effect as a curling iron would have.. warmth opens the hair cuticle allowing for easier curling) and do the curling like Carol suggested above.  After this is done, apply mascara slowly so it dries a little.  Then take the back of the tube of mascara and blink on it.  The cold tube will set the curl (same action as letting your curls set after using a curling iron.. cooling closes the cuticle and sets it)  Good luck!

Also --- I use a few diff mascaras and always have.  It rocks.  One for coating them ... then another for just the tips of the lashes/lengthening. 

Amber - Clinique DOES BURN!!

Awesome tip. Can't wait to try this tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted by Cok0WhIt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Juntra when you're about to use your eyelash curler blast it with the blowdryer to make it warm (same effect as a curling iron would have.. warmth opens the hair cuticle allowing for easier curling) and do the curling like Carol suggested above.  After this is done, apply mascara slowly so it dries a little.  Then take the back of the tube of mascara and blink on it.  The cold tube will set the curl (same action as letting your curls set after using a curling iron.. cooling closes the cuticle and sets it)  Good luck!

Also --- I use a few diff mascaras and always have.  It rocks.  One for coating them ... then another for just the tips of the lashes/lengthening. 

Amber - Clinique DOES BURN!!

Bonnie, yeah I don't need it either.. mine got a little too curled (I have naturally wavy/curly/kinky hair.. lol) so it was a little too much.  It takes a few times to practice too.  I should've warned to be careful if the eyelash curler is metal not to burn your eyelid. I used this on a couple girls in my dorm when I was back in school.  It worked beautifully for one girl with the thickest straight hair. 

I've never tried the two different mascaras trick, I sort of feel a bit weird about mixing coats!

How do you guys coat your bottom lashes? If I try coating them with the actual mascara wand I either end up with it all over my face, or with my eyelashes looking like a spider. Closing your eyes once applying a coat on the top lashes does work but then if you close your eyes too tightly you'll end up looking like a panda.

Ive done the whole Two mascara thing years ago and although it works to make fuller lashes  Nothing beats a nice full Pair of Falsies for the ultimate sultry/dramatic look..........Nothing!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Cok0WhIt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bonnie, yeah I don't need it either.. mine got a little too curled (I have naturally wavy/curly/kinky hair.. lol) so it was a little too much.  It takes a few times to practice too.  I should've warned to be careful if the eyelash curler is metal not to burn your eyelid. I used this on a couple girls in my dorm when I was back in school.  It worked beautifully for one girl with the thickest straight hair. 
Lol mine got too curled too a lot of the time.  If I left the heat on too long they stuck straight up, it was hilarious.

Personally, I think whether you mix brands of mascara or not, the best technique is to apply coats before they are fully dry. i tend to let a coat, sort of, half dry, then apply the next coat, and if needed a third coat. a METAL eyelash comb can be used at the end to separate without effecting volume. i find plastic eyelash combs take away volume as they de-clump...so METAL is way better in my opinion.

also...the point of half drying allows you to build good volume with less chance of clumps. if you apply just coat after coat without letting it dry at all, you may have trouble building volume. that is why i believe in half drying between coats.

Originally Posted by xina751 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally, I think whether you mix brands of mascara or not, the best technique is to apply coats before they are fully dry. i tend to let a coat, sort of, half dry, then apply the next coat, and if needed a third coat. a METAL eyelash comb can be used at the end to separate without effecting volume. i find plastic eyelash combs take away volume as they de-clump...so METAL is way better in my opinion.

Agreed, I always apply more coats before the previous one dries.  I have accidently waited too long a couple times and it's a horrible feeling applying another coat to a dry one :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.   I also love love love metal eyelash combs

Back