Birchbox - January 2012 boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the concealer too, and I did think it was rather empty feeling, but so far I've gotten a week's use out of it and I still have more!

Originally Posted by AshleyLandsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey all  - I got my first box this weekend. 

I was happily surprised by the goodies inside. I have two questions - First, I got the box with the 'Wichcraft granola. It's awesome with the exception that if I want to buy more - it's not free to ship (which is a little contradictory to the policy of free shipping on items featured in that months box). Has anyone seen where you can purchase this other than the BB website? It's delicious - but not enough to warrent spending over the actual cost of the item on shipping alone. 

Also - Did anyone notice that the Miracle Skin Transformer Treat & Conceal Eye & Face tube sample was nearly empty? Mine was sealed and I used it this morning -but I'm curious to see others thoughts on this product?

I wouldn't consider a birchbox dollar to be anywhere near equal to a real dollar.  First, because you can only use birchbox dollars to buy stuff that's available from birchbox, and for most of the items you have to either spend $50 or pay for shipping.  Second, because a number of the items on birchbox are overpriced, so you have to earn a certain amount of birchbox dollars just to get the prices of some products down to the same price level as what they cost elsewhere.  Third, because you do have to "earn" the birchbox dollars by filling out a feedback survey for each dollar.  If any of these weren't the case, I would probably still be subscribed...

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I were in your shoes I would consider getting the three month subscription and try it out for three more months. If you don't like it then you're only out $30 (well if you do your reviews and say you get five items to review each month then you've earn $10 [10 pts x 5 x 3 = 150 pts] then you're only out $20 since you can use the $10 to either get something for less, near free or for free).

Originally Posted by eliza7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't consider a birchbox dollar to be anywhere near equal to a real dollar.  First, because you can only use birchbox dollars to buy stuff that's available from birchbox, and for most of the items you have to either spend $50 or pay for shipping.  Second, because a number of the items on birchbox are overpriced, so you have to earn a certain amount of birchbox dollars just to get the prices of some products down to the same price level as what they cost elsewhere.  Third, because you do have to "earn" the birchbox dollars by filling out a feedback survey for each dollar.  If any of these weren't the case, I would probably still be subscribed...
I see your point.

Could you give some examples of products that Birchbox sells that are significantly cheaper elsewhere? Sometimes I can find a deal on Amazon, but elsewhere prices seem pretty comparable. (In my book, Amazon doesn't really count because they are out to undercut everyone and make a profit by selling volume.) I got a couple products that BB sells through Amazon for insanely cheap, but when I got them it was clear they had been sitting on the shelf for ages and had been put on clearance.

Originally Posted by eliza7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's interesting, I've always been really pleased with stuff I've ordered from amazon and pretty much always check the prices there when I'm comparison shopping.  I haven't received anything that is near expiration from amazon orders.  If you've received something that is near expiration, I would return it.  I think a big part of why their prices are low is selling in huge volume and not having to maintain storefronts, both of which can lower price without necessarily lowering quality. And I think some of the Birchbox prices are higher because they probably don't make much if any profit on the subscription boxes after you've taken into account the shipping and packaging costs, so they need to make most of the profit in the shop which makes sense.  Two items I noticed big price differences on recently are two that I was interested in purchasing after hearing about them through birchbox:

Bourghese Fango Active Mud:

$41 on Amazon (including shipping)  http://www.amazon.com/Borghese-Fango-Active-Face-Body/dp/B0007RXGZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1326932486&sr=1-1

$64 from Birchbox https://www.birchbox.com/shop/brands/borghese/borghese-fango-active-17-oz

E-Boost flavor packets:

$19.95 and free shipping on Amazon  http://www.amazon.com/EBOOST-Orange-Flavor-Packet-Effervescent/dp/B001KYRWLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326933099&sr=8-2

$33 ($28 + $5 shipping) on Birchbox https://www.birchbox.com/shop/brands/eboost/eboost-natural-orange

Originally Posted by Ultracitrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Could you give some examples of products that Birchbox sells that are significantly cheaper elsewhere? Sometimes I can find a deal on Amazon, but elsewhere prices seem pretty comparable. (In my book, Amazon doesn't really count because they are out to undercut everyone and make a profit by selling volume.) I got a couple products that BB sells through Amazon for insanely cheap, but when I got them it was clear they had been sitting on the shelf for ages and had been put on clearance.

i found be fine night cream that bb had sent on ebay (brand new of course) for 5 bucks instead of 30...............

Originally Posted by Ultracitrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by Dena Fletcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i found be fine night cream that bb had sent on ebay (brand new of course) for 5 bucks instead of 30...............

Don't trust anything you see on ebay.

im guessing your not a fan??   :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  i have been using ebay for years....  i personally have never had any trouble....lucky i guess.....

Originally Posted by oOliveColored /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've tried 4 of the 5 items out of my box already (perfume, nail polish, moisturizer and granola) and I have to say, I am pretty impressed.  I am constantly dealing with a tight sensation on my face from my skin and no amount of moisturizer was cutting it. 

With the Algenist cream, my face hasn't felt this soft and smooth ever. I can't stop touching it! LOL

I am very pleased with my bb, this was my second box and I've loved both. I was a little dissapointed that Decembers box wasn't amazing, considering it was the holiday, but I still liked it. My January box was #3.  I got the Stila eyeliner in purple tang (the color I wanted!) Juicy perfume, magnet, peanut butter larabar, Jouer body butter and the borghese curaforte moisturizer. I was'nt going to use the borghese but found someone to trade me the pomegranate soap for it so I am happy. the only other thing I was hoping for was a different flavor larabar cause I have a box of the PB ones already, so if anyone wants to trade let me know!

Originally Posted by oOliveColored /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by Dena Fletcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not just ebay. I use that night cream and buy it for $5 at Ocean State Job Lot, those are deep discount stores located in New England. They are just like Big Lots, but get a lot better makeup, bath, and skin care for real cheap.

I know some of you don't like getting perfume samples, and I can understand why.. but I LOVED the Juicy Couture perfume sample in my box this month. I'm seriously going to buy a full sized one!
I got the Juicy Couture (Couture) perfume sample. I'm just happy that they didn't send the same perfume brand again. I also enjoyed my stila eyeliner in Lionfish <3 I will use this in the future for my natural days, since it's a brown shade! Another thing I loved was the Origins face wash, my face felt great afterwards and I was looking into buying a face wash anyways, so that was great! The Larabar meh, I didn't really like how it tasted, but my mom did, so that worked out ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The pomegranate soap I have yet to try, but it smells great. I'm pleased with this month's box! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Tulipp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know some of you don't like getting perfume samples, and I can understand why.. but I LOVED the Juicy Couture perfume sample in my box this month. I'm seriously going to buy a full sized one!
I got the Juicy Couture (Couture) perfume sample. I'm just happy that they didn't send the same perfume brand again. I also enjoyed my stila eyeliner in Lionfish <3 I will use this in the future for my natural days, since it's a brown shade! Another thing I loved was the Origins face wash, my face felt great afterwards and I was looking into buying a face wash anyways, so that was great! The Larabar meh, I didn't really like how it tasted, but my mom did, so that worked out ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The pomegranate soap I have yet to try, but it smells great. I'm pleased with this month's box! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I got the perfume sample as well and I am sorely tempted to buy the FS with my points next month. I am really liking it, which is surprising, I normally don't go for these types of scents.

I'm new to Birchbox, and I have a question!

What is the likelihood of getting samples of products already on the website? I've been browsing the shop, and I see a lot of things I'd like to try. I just don't know if I should be patient and wait to see if I'll get a sample or if they normally send out new-to-Birchbox products every month. Any help is appreciated! Thanks! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sometimes new members will get a mix of things from that new box plus past boxes.  I am not sure if they always do that, but I have seen them do it before.

Originally Posted by libbs07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is the likelihood of getting samples of products already on the website? I've been browsing the shop, and I see a lot of things I'd like to try. I just don't know if I should be patient and wait to see if I'll get a sample or if they normally send out new-to-Birchbox products every month. Any help is appreciated! Thanks! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I second what CiaoBella says, and THANK YOU for not being disappointed about possibly getting those products. Sometimes they rotate in product that they've had in previous boxes for the newer users. Boxes get "better" after those few 'leftover' months. 

Originally Posted by libbs07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Back