Birchbox Man July 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, the variations are up with the URL's...

https://www.birchbox.com/men/box/july-2013/july13box1

Just change the number at the end of the URL to see the variations. An example of a repeat product sample that will be going into everybodys box is the go 24 stuff that they used in their preview 2 months ago, I believe. Ballia powder is also being recycled, Art of Shaving shaving cream, Tiger lip balm, Niche body wipes,  Victorinox Swiss Army cologne, Billy Jealousy adrenaline scrub & sake bomb, Toweldry thickening shampoo & styling cream, Sooki exfoliate facial cleanser, Mr Natty Frank's beard elixir, Proraso shaving cream, Supersmile whitening system, & Atelier cologne will all be repeated in different boxes this month.

I wish they'd just include cool / useful and interesting items like writing instruments, lighters, more small leather goods, etc - items that everybody tends to need or can use regardless of their profession and lifestyle. It seems like they're trying to set the tone of the month's theme with the lifestyle items really heavily nowadays, which I don't totally enjoy. 

The item everybody will be getting is the card holder (thank god) and most people appear that they will be getting the cufflinks as well. Very few of the boxes seem to be carrying the 9-piece sample set of products from Baxter of California, which I was hoping would be one of the items everybody would be receiving. Check em out to see what you think

BBM sends some of the oddest stuff!  I have 2 BBW boxes and, of course, not everything seems great to me -- but it's all of decent (enough) taste.  But those horrendous cuff links?  Seriously what kind of color-blind hipster (no offense to hipsters meant -- but aiming a product at a tiny percent of the population every month is just bad business) is picking the men's items?  Perhaps the cuff links aren't as bad as the felt card case or the knit tie, but I'm pretty sure that maybe 1% of the men receiving them will actually put them to use.  And on the same note, didn't they just send out that horrible, preschool-project felt card case a few months ago?  Why another card case?  

On that note, my fiancee loved the shoe horn and would love the stays. The boxer briefs (both pairs) were instant hits, as was the jigger and the whiskey stones.  The sunglasses he won't use, but thinks they're very cool.  The knit tie became a cat toy and the neon socks will never see the light of day.  I'm pretty sure the felt card case went directly into the trash. We love "Suits" and had high hopes for this month's box, but it's really quite disappointing.

Originally Posted by MissMonica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BBM sends some of the oddest stuff!  I have 2 BBW boxes and, of course, not everything seems great to me -- but it's all of decent (enough) taste.  But those horrendous cuff links?  Seriously what kind of color-blind hipster (no offense to hipsters meant -- but aiming a product at a tiny percent of the population every month is just bad business) is picking the men's items?  Perhaps the cuff links aren't as bad as the felt card case or the knit tie, but I'm pretty sure that maybe 1% of the men receiving them will actually put them to use.  And on the same note, didn't they just send out that horrible, preschool-project felt card case a few months ago?  Why another card case?  

On that note, my fiancee loved the shoe horn and would love the stays. The boxer briefs (both pairs) were instant hits, as was the jigger and the whiskey stones.  The sunglasses he won't use, but thinks they're very cool.  The knit tie became a cat toy and the neon socks will never see the light of day.  I'm pretty sure the felt card case went directly into the trash. We love "Suits" and had high hopes for this month's box, but it's really quite disappointing.
I agree with you in terms of loving suits and being disappointed by the products included in the box to reflect the show. I feel like something like an itunes free-download card for the first season or the new season as a season pass to allow subscribers to download the episodes on their computer and watch when they'd like would've been a fitting inclusion. If it's supposed to be reflecting the show, and next to nothing in the box is  actually related to suits content in terms of allowing subscribers to view it for themselves, it just seems dumb. 

I can totally see my fiance using the card holder, since he's into things like that. But the cufflinks and the flower thing I don't think he'd ever wear. I think I'd probably end up taking the flower pin and using it on my clothes. I've only seen like one episode of suits, but homemade looking cufflinks don't seem to represent the show at all.

I saw the video and was wowed!  Saw the boxes and now I'm afraid I may get those awful cufflinks!  So for now I'm on the fence as to whether I like this box or not.

I'm really hoping to get the lapel flower since I'm planning on wearing Suits a lot more over the next year.  Seems like a great way to add more character to a suit.  I'm extremely happy they have products from Taylor of Old Bond Street, which is one of the most well known men's luxury shaving companies.

I guess we'll see what box I got to see if I'm a happy customer this month.  Got a tracking number so hopefully the link will work soon.

Originally Posted by MissMonica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The boxers were a hit for my bf too, the bottle opener is used daily and has a happy home on our refrigerator. Tie, shoehorn, pocket square, who knows where those ended up. 

Originally Posted by scottg86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I saw the video and was wowed!  Saw the boxes and now I'm afraid I may get those awful cufflinks!  So for now I'm on the fence as to whether I like this box or not.

I'm really hoping to get the lapel flower since I'm planning on wearing Suits a lot more over the next year.  Seems like a great way to add more character to a suit.  I'm extremely happy they have products from Taylor of Old Bond Street, which is one of the most well known men's luxury shaving companies.

I guess we'll see what box I got to see if I'm a happy customer this month.  Got a tracking number so hopefully the link will work soon.
If you don't get a lapel flower, I will most likely have one to send to ya! haha. Hope all you guys get what you want!

Boyfriend is getting box 7, which includes a concealer pen, the card holder (yippee), cologne, the collar stays and balla powder. Super excited for the powder and card holder....but I will quote my bf when someone brought up the idea of a BB cream for men "I will cancel if they ever send me makeup"

*Sigh* maybe he will like it after all...

I'm getting box 14 - not bad in comparison to a bunch of the others, and I'm happy that the repeats I'll be getting don't include samples I've already received in the past. The one thing I'm happy about this month is that the cufflinks will be a perfect re-gifting present for my dad's birthday at the end of July. I've started to use the lifestyle items I don't want for myself as gifts for fitting recipients, so that's the one benefit of getting items you're not going to use I suppose.

That said, I have a feeling all the guys who receive box 7 with the concealer will be borderline personally upset by getting it. I'm sure there will be some blowback from the boyfriends of many female subscribers (probably a large percentage of the subscribers,) as a result. Overall seems like just a bad item to include in a men's subscription box overall...

EDIT: I forgot to say it'll be interesting to see if the boxes this month are new and don't have the same pull out drawer function as the past versions did. From the preview pics it looks like the boxes from now on for guys will be more similar in terms of dimensions and size to the women's box, but some of the box variations are pictures with a pull out style box. If anything they're probably using up what they have left of the old version for the boxes that contain larger sample sizes, but it will suck if the box size ends up causing fewer items to be included each month.

2nd Edit: By the way, it seems like the card holder this month (while not Birchbox branded) is from a company that is ONLY carried on Birchbox.com. I like leather goods in general and wanted to check out their website but after a thorough searching and call to Birchbox customer service I was told the brand is only available on Birchbox.com. Maybe they're trying to pull a fast one by getting custom lifestyle products made for them without putting "Birchbox" onto the item?

Originally Posted by etd11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm getting box 14 - not bad in comparison to a bunch of the others, and I'm happy that the repeats I'll be getting don't include samples I've already received in the past. The one thing I'm happy about this month is that the cufflinks will be a perfect re-gifting present for my dad's birthday at the end of July. I've started to use the lifestyle items I don't want for myself as gifts for fitting recipients, so that's the one benefit of getting items you're not going to use I suppose.

That said, I have a feeling all the guys who receive box 7 with the concealer will be borderline personally upset by getting it. I'm sure there will be some blowback from the boyfriends of many female subscribers (probably a large percentage of the subscribers,) as a result. Overall seems like just a bad item to include in a men's subscription box overall...

EDIT: I forgot to say it'll be interesting to see if the boxes this month are new and don't have the same pull out drawer function as the past versions did. From the preview pics it looks like the boxes from now on for guys will be more similar in terms of dimensions and size to the women's box, but some of the box variations are pictures with a pull out style box. If anything they're probably using up what they have left of the old version for the boxes that contain larger sample sizes, but it will suck if the box size ends up causing fewer items to be included each month.

2nd Edit: By the way, it seems like the card holder this month (while not Birchbox branded) is from a company that is ONLY carried on Birchbox.com. I like leather goods in general and wanted to check out their website but after a thorough searching and call to Birchbox customer service I was told the brand is only available on Birchbox.com. Maybe they're trying to pull a fast one by getting custom lifestyle products made for them without putting "Birchbox" onto the item?
Yes, my boyfriend will be the one getting box 7 and most likely asking me to cancel after this one. He will NOT be happy about the concealer pen, I mean really? Do men actually use these in real life? I sent him a text with a picture of the pen this morning....til now I have not gotten a response back from that text, ha.

To your second edit- I would not be surprised at all if it were a Birchbox item. They've been sending a lot out lately for the men. An easy way to make the 'cost' of the box seem worth it in the end.

The box looks to be the same as the old "drawer" boxes.

I agree. Concealer pens were an iffy inclusion not to mention the nightmare of matching skin tones. Not sure why they'd want to deal with that mess.

Good call on the brand of the card case. It sounds like BB is getting crafty and dare I say tricky, but then again, they've demonstrated this time and time again by including products in the video that almost always never show up in the actual boxes for many. Blah.

Definitely does seem like they are trying to get more stealthy with their custom lifestyle items. It's really a shame because the subscription is twice the price of the women's and I feel like it used to be so much better in terms of getting new samples, more interesting and original lifestyle products, etc than it is now. 

The triple-C speaker is an example of an item I was really happy to get because it was both useful regardless of job or background for most and also introduced a new interesting product  manufacturer into the mix, and even from January to now it seems like the grooming samples went from almost always new products to "you get one that we preview, the rest are what we have leftover."

If they keep going like this I think it'd only be fair to lower the price down to $10 a month considering what they're sending out. 

My bf wrote them an email about their declining quality pointing out the cost specifically. I'm sure he won't receive a satisfactory answer aside from the 100 points they seem to think is enough to placate people. As for the value of the box, I wouldn't have minded if the majority of the products included were the ones they featured in the video. Somehow it feels like a rip-off getting recycled items not to mention misleading. However, they've always done this and it's a regular practice with the women's subscription as well, but that's a lot easier to stomach at $10 a month.

One of the items my bf is getting is the Victorinox cologne sample, which comes in a flat, cardboard spray mechanism. This is a super old product that they're currently offering in their Pick Two sample packs and the amount is measly compared to a standard glass vial. He's also getting the Go247 body wash, which is a brand he's already tried when he received their shaving cream just a couple of months ago. It's a resounding disappointment. I had high hopes because Suits is one of my favorite shows on TV and I was excited for him to receive this box. I'm thinking of canceling now especially since I purchased a Bespoke Post subscription for him and those boxes are just leagues above BB Man.

Originally Posted by evildrporkchop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My bf wrote them an email about their declining quality pointing out the cost specifically. I'm sure he won't receive a satisfactory answer aside from the 100 points they seem to think is enough to placate people. As for the value of the box, I wouldn't have minded if the majority of the products included were the ones they featured in the video. Somehow it feels like a rip-off getting recycled items not to mention misleading. However, they've always done this and it's a regular practice with the women's subscription as well, but that's a lot easier to stomach at $10 a month.

One of the items my bf is getting is the Victorinox cologne sample, which comes in a flat, cardboard spray mechanism. This is a super old product that they're currently offering in their Pick Two sample packs and the amount is measly compared to a standard glass vial. He's also getting the Go247 body wash, which is a brand he's already tried when he received their shaving cream just a couple of months ago. It's a resounding disappointment. I had high hopes because Suits is one of my favorite shows on TV and I was excited for him to receive this box. I'm thinking of canceling now especially since I purchased a Bespoke Post subscription for him and those boxes are just leagues above BB Man.
To be honest, I'm usually tough on the box contents as I feel like they have just been ever-declining since my first one...but I'm being a lot harder on this month's because of the fact  that they're hooking up with Suits. 

There's no question that Suits is paying them a ton of money for the advertising space and plug-in with "the guide" and the "box contents preview" video, so it's really shocking to see the same type of mediocre content quality as usual. If anything, it's just making Birchbox look even worse because all I can think is "WHERE ARE THEY PUTTING THAT MONEY?!?!?" when it's clearly not into this month's box. 

I agree that $10 on the women's side is much easier to swallow and I normally am very pleased with my box contents. $20 for the men's box is just getting ridiculous with what they are sending out, and I have never seen the TV show that this month's box is themed after, but I still don't understand where this concealer pen is coming into play in the SUITS world.

Why BB Man? Why a concealer pen? Just threw a paying customer out the window...

To be honest, I'm usually tough on the box contents as I feel like they have just been ever-declining since my first one...but I'm being a lot harder on this month's because of the fact  that they're hooking up with Suits. 

There's no question that Suits is paying them a ton of money for the advertising space and plug-in with "the guide" and the "box contents preview" video, so it's really shocking to see the same type of mediocre content quality as usual. If anything, it's just making Birchbox look even worse because all I can think is "WHERE ARE THEY PUTTING THAT MONEY?!?!?" when it's clearly not into this month's box. 
My guess is that they took that money and "reinvested" it back into the company to improve Birchbox's overall operations, technology, and blah blah blah. It's clear they allocated the same amount of money they do month after month (maybe less since things have gotten so subpar) into the actual products provided. USA might be miffed if they realize how their advertising dollars were being poorly used if they even find out, which I'm betting they won't. At the end of the day, the venture capitalists win because they're getting a healthy ROI now that Birchbox has all these fancy, advertising dollars-rich partnerships in their pipeline. And here we are...with the shaving cream we should've gotten in March...from the same five rotating brands...based on those dumb, annoyingly chirpy videos.

Originally Posted by Beeyutifull /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree that $10 on the women's side is much easier to swallow and I normally am very pleased with my box contents. $20 for the men's box is just getting ridiculous with what they are sending out, and I have never seen the TV show that this month's box is themed after, but I still don't understand where this concealer pen is coming into play in the SUITS world.

Why BB Man? Why a concealer pen? Just threw a paying customer out the window...
I guess because actors...wear...umm...make-up?

So I don't subscribe to BB Man and my honey really doesn't want it, but I do want find something for him that I can buy in points so I figure this thread knows how the products featured in BB are!  His problem is he has a really greasy forehead/t-zone, and large pores on his nose.  The rest of his skin on his face and body are very dry.  I guess right now he is just washing his face in the shower with that Dove Men's + since it says 'Hair and Face" or whatever.  He doesn't use lotion at all which I think might be part of the problem, his body over-secretes or something.  He does run a lot, so there's a lot of sweat in them there pores.  No pimples.  

Any suggestions on products?  I don't know anything about man skin.   I did give him a sample of the Shea Terra Black Soap I got in my last Shea Terra order and I don't think it's doing the trick alone.  

Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I don't subscribe to BB Man and my honey really doesn't want it, but I do want find something for him that I can buy in points so I figure this thread knows how the products featured in BB are!  His problem is he has a really greasy forehead/t-zone, and large pores on his nose.  The rest of his skin on his face and body are very dry.  I guess right now he is just washing his face in the shower with that Dove Men's + since it says 'Hair and Face" or whatever.  He doesn't use lotion at all which I think might be part of the problem, his body over-secretes or something.  He does run a lot, so there's a lot of sweat in them there pores.  No pimples.  

Any suggestions on products?  I don't know anything about man skin.   I did give him a sample of the Shea Terra Black Soap I got in my last Shea Terra order and I don't think it's doing the trick alone.  
The Malin & Goetz travel sized product sampler is a good option to get a good range of products he can try out and then if he really loves one he can get it in the full size, or else I'd say check out the Billy Jealousy products and choose one of those. I really love the liquid sand exfoliator face wash and would recommend it highly, but all the full sized products run the risk of being an item he may not like and then you've spent a bunch of points on something that goes to waste.

I'd certainly check out the travel sets / sampler packs if I were you and then choose whichever seems the most appropriate for his needs and concerns regarding his perspective on skin care and grooming.

Wow. Just got my box....really disappointed overall. The cufflinks come in a tiny little clear acrylic box that looks like something you'd get  out of a vending machine, and the card case seems pretty low quality. It feels like it's made of rubber with a tiny sliver of leather on the front - it also came in a little drawstring bag (which is usually an indicator of higher-quality goods) but the draw strings are essentially threads that seem more like loose stitches than strings. You guys can wait and see for yourselves...but from my end, I can't say I'm pleased.

Back