Birchbox Man July 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boyfriend got his box yesterday, and was not too pleased with it either.

Did not like the cologne (this is box 7 by the way), also mentioned the card holder looked like the ones you would get free with any nice wallet purchase from a department store, did not like the collar stays- except that they were magnetic (he is a magician and will get MANY uses out of anything magnetic) and to my surprise he actually let me put on his concealer! I was unaware but he is being interviewed by our local newspaper and said he would like to use it to take the pictures for his interview...it's funny how things work out sometimes.

But for ME, the one who is paying for the subscription, I am just underwhelmed at what he is receiving and what I am paying for it. I do not feel my $20 has been justified for some time now.

I'm glad your bf found that concealer pen useful! 

My bf got his box yesterday. I'm super disappointed as well. He used the Victorinox cologne sample this morning and was able to get about two sprays out before tossing it.

There is not a chance that what I received was anywhere near worth the $20 I paid. Actually, I'm curious. I'm going to to calculate everything now. In the meantime, I am considering canceling.

Originally Posted by evildrporkchop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm glad your bf found that concealer pen useful! 

My bf got his box yesterday. I'm super disappointed as well. He used the Victorinox cologne sample this morning and was able to get about two sprays out before tossing it.

There is not a chance that what I received was anywhere near worth the $20 I paid. Actually, I'm curious. I'm going to to calculate everything now. In the meantime, I am considering canceling.
The crappy card holder and the cufflinks or collar stays, along with any lifestyle accessories sent out each month, make it hard to calculate. If it's made by BB themselves like the coasters and sunglasses are, you can bet for damn sure they're spending around (if not less than) 1/3 of the retail price they show online. Considering the quality and lack of brand existence for Roosevelt Supply anywhere other than BB, I'm pretty sure they contracted this item similarly, so I'd bet they paid between 7 and 9 dollars per each. 

The other lifestyle items sent out are hard to figure in terms of value considering it's very possible that BB receives most of their samples or lifestyle products free of charge due to the brand exposure and in essense direct-consumer advertising. If not for free, than for way cheaper than retail. I agree that this month's box actually underwhelmed me in comparison to most of my other past boxes, and that's not even taking into account the "Suits" collaboration (or lack thereof). 

Glad to hear your boyfriend got to use the concealer, though! At least somebody will be happy about receiving it!

You're right. I started the math then realized that I forgot about stupid the card case (just goes to show that I want to immediately block it from my memory) and its supposed $25 value. Whomever in Birchbox suggested branding their own items must've gotten a HUGE promotion for saving them so much time and money now that they don't have to forge relationships with legitimate companies to provide us with nice lifestyle items.

I wanted to calculate the value of the sample sizes to validate my feeling cheated even if BB likely received them for free. I'm just really peeved by the cardboard Victorinox cologne sample. I want to message CS, but they'll just give me their usual spiel about reviewing for points.

You're right. I started the math then realized that I forgot about stupid the card case (just goes to show that I want to immediately block it from my memory) and its supposed $25 value. Whomever in Birchbox suggested branding their own items must've gotten a HUGE promotion for saving them so much time and money now that they don't have to forge relationships with legitimate companies to provide us with nice lifestyle items.

I wanted to calculate the value of the sample sizes to validate my feeling cheated even if BB likely received them for free. I'm just really peeved by the cardboard Victorinox cologne sample. I want to message CS, but they'll just give me their usual spiel about reviewing for points.
The card case was blah....I mean really how many cards can you fit in that thing? 2? I was thinking my bf could use it for his business cards but no way.

I think we will probably cancel too- I just can't see it getting any better with the amount of repeats they do and such a FLOP with a TV show themed box....those should really be the best.

Originally Posted by Beeyutifull /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The card case was blah....I mean really how many cards can you fit in that thing? 2? I was thinking my bf could use it for his business cards but no way.

I think we will probably cancel too- I just can't see it getting any better with the amount of repeats they do and such a FLOP with a TV show themed box....those should really be the best.
Have you looked into the other box subscriptions for him? Bespoke Post is a good one too. They let you skip months if you don't like what they're offering.

Have you looked into the other box subscriptions for him? Bespoke Post is a good one too. They let you skip months if you don't like what they're offering.
I did look up Bespoke Post and they had some really cool stuff. I'm waiting for an all gadget box to be introduced and I will jump on it!

Originally Posted by Beeyutifull /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did look up Bespoke Post and they had some really cool stuff. I'm waiting for an all gadget box to be introduced and I will jump on it!
I'm hoping they do that. I would love it for my bf! To be honest, I wasn't thrilled with their June selections. Let's see what July brings...

I'm hoping they do that. I would love it for my bf! To be honest, I wasn't thrilled with their June selections. Let's see what July brings...
Yea the June just did not intrigue me enough....I really wish BB Man would take some pointers from Bespoke Post. I just remember thinking when I signed my bf up for it how cool of an idea it would be. He literally has barely used any of the stuff he's gotten, but I do love it for the extra points I get!! (they go towards all my purchases ha)

I'm new to this site and to BB Man... I am looking through the comments and wondering whether I should bother to go for a second month! My husband just graduated and I thought it would be nice for him to up his game in grooming since he'll be always in a suit and with a lot of people... but I have seen a lot of negative reviews about BB getting worse. The card holder and collar stays are the kind of things he would use. I haven't received the first box yet (it takes longer to get here). I already know what we're getting, but the way the look in the pics and what you really get are 2 different things... I'll see soon for myself!

I am mad! I got the Supersmile whitening duo and both of them were empty! My fiancé had tried the toothpaste earlier and it was empty and I had just tried to use the whitener (which I had originally thought had some product in it because it felt a little heavier) and that was empty as well. I already emailed them twice (because like I said I thought that the whitener had something in it) and I know they probably won't respond until Monday. I feel a bit sad because this was a gift for him and 2 of the items were empty. Also I know they'll probably just give me 100 points, but this is one of those instances when I really hope they just send me out another item because he probably won't use the points.

Back