Birchbox Man May 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Beeyutifull /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you subscribed to them? Funny you mention them I JUST found out about Bespoke posts.....I was realllllly trying hard not to order one. Please please tell me more...are you subbed to them?
I ordered one of the previous boxes from Mantry when they had a special sale.  I'll get my first box this week but I'll pretty excited.

I have gotten the Threaded, Shave and I'm excited for the 'Cue box.  All have been a killer deal for $45 and I got $5 off my first box, which was good as that was my least favorite.  The best part is you can choose to skip a box if you don't like the preview, (as I did with the weekender) which IMO is what makes it such a good box!

Originally Posted by scottg86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I ordered one of the previous boxes from Mantry when they had a special sale.  I'll get my first box this week but I'll pretty excited.

I have gotten the Threaded, Shave and I'm excited for the 'Cue box.  All have been a killer deal for $45 and I got $5 off my first box, which was good as that was my least favorite.  The best part is you can choose to skip a box if you don't like the preview, (as I did with the weekender) which IMO is what makes it such a good box!
I was looking at the 'Cue box....all those spices and stuff looks super yummy....do they add different boxes or have those been there for a while....I'm kind of trying to juggle if it will be a good idea,,,,or a flop....is the razor pretty good in the Shave box? I was worried about the quality of it.

Originally Posted by Beeyutifull /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was looking at the 'Cue box....all those spices and stuff looks super yummy....do they add different boxes or have those been there for a while....I'm kind of trying to juggle if it will be a good idea,,,,or a flop....is the razor pretty good in the Shave box? I was worried about the quality of it.
The boxes you see are all the boxes they have offered in the past.  If you sign up they will show you the next months box and give you about a week to decide if you want it.  If you don't you just opt out.  So there is a new box every week. 

I use a Double Edge razor because I don't like the multi-blade razors, so I can't comment from experience.  But that's the best razor they offer from dollar shave club, which is also "technically" a subscription box service.

The boxes you see are all the boxes they have offered in the past.  If you sign up they will show you the next months box and give you about a week to decide if you want it.  If you don't you just opt out.  So there is a new box every week. 

I use a Double Edge razor because I don't like the multi-blade razors, so I can't comment from experience.  But that's the best razor they offer from dollar shave club, which is also "technically" a subscription box service.
Thanks so much for the tips. I've looked at the Dollar Shave Club, haha I think I've wanted to try them all, but then would be extremely BROKE.

Back to BB- I hope you receive your April box soon and also hope you enjoy what's in your May box- please update when you get your box update!

May tracking number is there now- but no update when I click it. And still showing April box. Hopefully that means I will see the box contents tomorrow! Super excited!!

17 box variations this month! A lot of them very similar....but I like them! We're getting box 16! I'm happy he's getting the SPF moisturizer cuz he has been looking for a good moisturizer for his face lately.

looks like it's underwear + shoe laces or Socks + Belt  wish there was a box with shoelaces and the Belt.  I'm getting box 15; https://www.birchbox.com/men/box/may2013/may13box15  I'm not very excited about this one as I'd argue it's the worst box available.  BTW, I think 15, 16 and 17 are the exact same.

I was hoping for the Belt and the Body Wash, but my girlfriend is excited about the Face Moisturizer and has already claimed it.  I can't believe they are still putting drinkwell samples in their boxes... those are a complete waste.

looks like it's underwear + shoe laces or Socks + Belt  wish there was a box with shoelaces and the Belt.  I'm getting box 15; https://www.birchbox.com/men/box/may2013/may13box15  I'm not very excited about this one as I'd argue it's the worst box available.  BTW, I think 15, 16 and 17 are the exact same.

I was hoping for the Belt and the Body Wash, but my girlfriend is excited about the Face Moisturizer and has already claimed it.  I can't believe they are still putting drinkwell samples in their boxes... those are a complete waste.
I'm joining the club of BB Man male subscribers who have joined makeuptalk to discuss it lol. For those who are saying the box variations are the same, I'm pretty positive it's because of the sizes of underwear, belts, and socks. They classify them as different box numbers even if the contents are the same because of the different sizing for certain items. 

I'm a little pissed that a lot of people are getting 2 pairs of socks as well as the belt, while I'm getting 1 pair of boxer briefs. It seems a little uneven in terms of the quantity, but maybe I'm just being picky. I do love boxer briefs, though, so I'm hyped to get a new pair that I can't just buy at Macy's. Wish it was a 2-pair pack, though - I feel like it'd be more even with the socks and belt then. 

In regards to other box subscriptions for men, I think BB man is different because it tries to combine grooming with lifestyle pretty much 50/50 while a lot of others are just one or the other (with the occasional exception, of course.) I personally like the lifestyle accessories that are clothing-related, mostly because I don't really like buying underwear, belts, shoelaces, etc that I'm not already familiar with. It's a great way to find items that you use frequently but wouldn't usually purchase yourself without knowing about the brand / product first. 

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my box (numbers 2,3,4 are the same I believe w. different sizes of boxers) but wish I was getting the Billy Jealousy sample instead of another Benta Berry sample. I've already gotten 2 and have purchased the product they're sending a sample of through their site, so it's a bit weird they don't try to take that into account. 

Pricing Update: Just did the math on the lifestyle accessories. 

2 Pairs of Socks ($10 x 2) + Belt ($40) = $60 worth of lifestyle merch!?!?!?!

1 Pair of Boxer-Briefs ($18) + Shoelaces ($8) = $26 worth of lifestyle merch!

Difference in Value: $34 - WTF?

Originally Posted by etd11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm joining the club of BB Man male subscribers who have joined makeuptalk to discuss it lol. For those who are saying the box variations are the same, I'm pretty positive it's because of the sizes of underwear, belts, and socks. They classify them as different box numbers even if the contents are the same because of the different sizing for certain items. 

I'm a little pissed that a lot of people are getting 2 pairs of socks as well as the belt, while I'm getting 1 pair of boxer briefs. It seems a little uneven in terms of the quantity, but maybe I'm just being picky. I do love boxer briefs, though, so I'm hyped to get a new pair that I can't just buy at Macy's. Wish it was a 2-pair pack, though - I feel like it'd be more even with the socks and belt then. 

In regards to other box subscriptions for men, I think BB man is different because it tries to combine grooming with lifestyle pretty much 50/50 while a lot of others are just one or the other (with the occasional exception, of course.) I personally like the lifestyle accessories that are clothing-related, mostly because I don't really like buying underwear, belts, shoelaces, etc that I'm not already familiar with. It's a great way to find items that you use frequently but wouldn't usually purchase yourself without knowing about the brand / product first. 

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my box (numbers 2,3,4 are the same I believe w. different sizes of boxers) but wish I was getting the Billy Jealousy sample instead of another Benta Berry sample. I've already gotten 2 and have purchased the product they're sending a sample of through their site, so it's a bit weird they don't try to take that into account. 

Pricing Update: Just did the math on the lifestyle accessories. 

2 Pairs of Socks ($10 x 2) + Belt ($40) = $60 worth of lifestyle merch!?!?!?!

1 Pair of Boxer-Briefs ($18) + Shoelaces ($8) = $26 worth of lifestyle merch!

Difference in Value: $34 - WTF?
Yeah I was totally hoping for the belt in my boyfriend's box. I don't think he will want the shoelaces at all. I remember we watched a video of a Pop Sugar luxury box for me and the shoelaces were in it and he did not like the idea at all.

But he is getting the boxers and I must say- the man can NEVER have enough boxers. One more pair to wash...*le sigh*

The box value is very off this month, not sure what's going on with that as usually it's pretty even.

EDIT- Love the profile pic, BTW 

You're getting the same box essentially as my bf! I think the best part will be the boxers (hopefully). The belt would have just been awesome.
beer.gif

with the value difference between boxes, maybe they are putting two pairs of boxers to be more even in the value like they did with the socks last month? I hope so. my bf's box haven't updated yet so I don't know what's in it.

Originally Posted by bri212 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

with the value difference between boxes, maybe they are putting two pairs of boxers to be more even in the value like they did with the socks last month? I hope so. my bf's box haven't updated yet so I don't know what's in it.
I originally was hoping this would be the case, but given the way the box preview pics show two pairs of socks clearly (last months pairs were together and the colors made them hard to differentiate, I believe) I think the boxers are just going to be one pair. I feel like they'd have the 2 packages lined up slightly angled so you could see you were getting 2 pairs, and the Bread & Boxers site shows each package contains one pair 
icon_neutral.gif

I still am looking forwards to this month's box, but just don't like feeling like there's a significant difference in value between variations. 
nono.gif

Typically I get my box on the 26th or 27th due to my location so I'll let you guys know what the dealio is when I find out if nobody else already has

My fiance is getting the shoelaces/boxer brief combo. I agree that the pricing seems uneven compared to the belt/2 pairs of socks box, but he dislikes those belts so at least the boxers will be useful. I did notice it looks like the benta berry products are full size. I can see the 30 ml written on the tube in the box picture. Still, the face wash is only worth $10 and that barely helps close the gap between the socks/belt combo. I think they should have just included 2 pairs of boxers (1 black/1 white since in  the box pics it looks like they are sampling both), or at least another small sample.

This is my only issue with birchbox man is how uneven the value of the boxes tends to be (not all months, but most months), and in his year long membership he got the higher priced boxed maybe twice (if that?). He usually doesn't mind, and he has only disliked a few of his boxes, so we keep his subscription.  

I agree it seems like there is always a difference in the values of the boxes. I'm only glad he got the SPF in his box or it would have been a wash really. The boxers are cool but we'll see if he likes them...I'll still keep his subscription because he loves getting things in the mail and even though he's only liked 1 item enough to buy the full size it's still a lot of fun...(mainly for me and my sub addiction...) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by starfighter82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My fiance is getting the shoelaces/boxer brief combo. I agree that the pricing seems uneven compared to the belt/2 pairs of socks box, but he dislikes those belts so at least the boxers will be useful. I did notice it looks like the benta berry products are full size. I can see the 30 ml written on the tube in the box picture. Still, the face wash is only worth $10 and that barely helps close the gap between the socks/belt combo. I think they should have just included 2 pairs of boxers (1 black/1 white since in  the box pics it looks like they are sampling both), or at least another small sample.

This is my only issue with birchbox man is how uneven the value of the boxes tends to be (not all months, but most months), and in his year long membership he got the higher priced boxed maybe twice (if that?). He usually doesn't mind, and he has only disliked a few of his boxes, so we keep his subscription.  
I didn't even notice the face wash looks like a full-sized product. Pretty frickin weird considering the fact that I've gotten Benta Berry samples in past boxes that were 3ml - maybe they're trying to get rid of some overstocked items. Seems really fishy to me though - I'd much rather get a 3ml sample of something I've never tried before than a full 30ml bottle of a facewash I already own and know / trust.  

Just got my box this afternoon - As expected, the underwear is a single pair, and much to my surprise, a full 30ml Benta Berry G1 Facial Cleanser. Very weird because until now, the Benta Berry G1 line has been stocked by Birchbox under the "womens" category exclusively, while it's actually a Benta Berry line variant designed particularly for acne control for both genders (mostly younger adults). Semi-disappointed in the orange shoe laces I received, but that's just because I want something actually colorful (blue, yellow, green, etc) instead of a dull orange that looks pretty much just like tan suede. Overall, not super pleased, but not super disappointed.

Back