Circular Swap #6 - American Beauty Discussion Group

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow we are a super fast swap!! Awesome job girls!

Guess what I have been doing most of the afternoon?  Looking at all the stuff in the box!!  It just arrived today & IT IS MASSIVE. 

First things first, we have a leaking mousse and if no one objects I'm throwing it out (pic below).

I will have my pics of what I took and what I will put in coming soon!

IMAG0424.jpg

Guess what I have been doing most of the afternoon?  Looking at all the stuff in the box!!  It just arrived today & IT IS MASSIVE. 

First things first, we have a leaking mousse and if no one objects I'm throwing it out (pic below).

I will have my pics of what I took and what I will put in coming soon!
Yay! The party continues! 

No objection here...I will say that I have never seen mouse with sunscreen in it...kinda cool.

First photo is what I took.  Second photo is what I added.

I will go to the Post Office tomorrow to get a new game board box too.

Okay the spoiler totally didn't work.  Sorry!

IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0425.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow :w00t:   some awesome items added!

I can't believe we've almost finished round 1 already! 

I'm sorry I haven't been around as much lately. I have been so busy this week! 

Here is a makeup related question for everyone. If you could only chose one of these items to apply before leaving the house, which would you choose: foundation, eyeliner, mascara, or lipstick? 

I would hate to have to make this decision, but I think I would pick mascara. My lashes are very long, but they are light in color so I feel like mascara would probably make the biggest difference. 

Can I add to the list (or cheat)?? I'd say eyebrows, would hate to go out looking like this  
demi-lovato-no-eyebrows-tumblr.jpg

Ha! Okay, I seriously did not know who that was until I hovered over the pic...wow! Eyebrows make the face!

Which one would I choose? That is a tough question! For me it's a really close call between eyeliner and lipstick, but I think I would choose eyeliner. A simple winged eye can really wake up your face. (Can I at least still curl my lashes? haha)

I actually have eyeliner tattooed on (permanent cosmetics) but it is basically a tightline so it's easy to enhance which is a good thing as I have become more into makeup over the years.

Whoa I have lots of well hidden tattoos, but I don't know if I could handle the eyelid! #impressed!

I got a new box at the P.O. today.  I will pack everything up tonight and send it out in the morning.  @@yellowdoodlebug  I'll PM you a tracking # tomorrow.

To the above question I would say mascara.  I would like to say mascara & lipstick.  I can go w/out eyeliner no problem, but  l need mascara!

Whoa I have lots of well hidden tattoos, but I don't know if I could handle the eyelid! #impressed!
I swore to myself after the first time I would never do it again and I have had it done twice more over the last 12 years...haha! They numb your eyelids and even your eyeball which of course helps so much, but having to have your eyelid pulled open under a bright light and magnifying glass is intimidating. The pressure is still super intense too, but as someone who has no other tattoos I can only imagine what a regular one feels like. 

I need some random advice, guys! Yesterday was my birthday, and my husband (who knows pretty much nothing about makeup) bought me the Nars And God Created Woman Set from Sephora after basically going into the store and asking the girls there what the latest hot palette was. I actually don't own very much from Nars, and the palette seems like a nice neutral palette, but I do have some other neutral palettes like Lorac Unzipped and Naked 3. I think what gets to me is that the palette is so small, especially since it goes for $59. When I think of the comparable palettes you can get for the price, it just makes the Nars set seem like kind of a bad deal. I just look at it and can't believe that someone would be willing to spend that kind of money on something so tiny! I love that my husband loves me so much that he was willing to spend that on something he thought I would like even though it's so small, but part of me wants to return it and get something that seems more worth the money. Again, I do not own many Nars products so I am not all that familiar with the quality of the line (although I generally hear good things) so I could just be looking at it all wrong. Are Nars shadows a step above the shadows of brands like Lorac and Urban Decay? Is the set worth the $59 even though it's super tiny? Size wise, it seems like a $30 palette to me (similar to the UD Naked Basics palette). I have no used the shadows at all yet so it's not a comment on the palette itself, just the value of it by appearance alone. Is it worth keeping? 

First off Happy Belated Birthday! You're hubby sounds like a good man to brave Sephora on his own to find you a gift!  

Re: the palette. After a bit of research on the palette, it seems this is not really a limited edition or new pallet, but rather a re-release of one a couple years back. The shadow order has just been rearranged. I have no experience with NARS eyeshadows, but as far as the size, it looks like it could be the perfect travel palette (if you travel enough to justify it I guess). I think if I were in your position, I would first see how many dupes I have for the colors in the palette and decide if it was worth keeping based on that. 

Re: the value, NARS singles are $25 for 0.07 oz of product. These are 0.03 oz each, so the value of the shadows alone is about $64. Technically a good deal, not even counting the primer and brush that are included in the set (although I am usually wary of brushes included with palettes). So it may be a cost effective way to see if you like the formula and may want to invest in more in the future. Who knows? NARS eyeshadows may be your new love...albeit a rather expensive one!

I'm sure I did not help much, but I guess my take would be, unless you had your eye on something specific that you would like to spend the $59 on instead or if you felt it was too similar to what you already own, it may be fun to try a "luxury palette" like this. 

I think that's why it's so challenging. Since I haven't tried the palette at all yet or even examined the colors all that closely. It's just an initial knee-jerk reaction that the palette itself is too small to justify the high price tag. I have about 20 palettes already, and while some of them apply/blend/stay put better than others, for the most part I don't notice a huge difference between similar colors in different palettes. On my eyes, they pretty much look the same to me (maybe I have a relatively untrained eye). I guess it's hard for me to see how this palette is worth $59 when Naked Basic goes for $29. If someone were to do their eye makeup with one eye using the $59 palette and one way using the $29, how many people could tell the difference really? It just seems like there is a big difference between a $10 palette and a $30 palette but that the differences get smaller as the price gets higher. 

I guess my only question would be will it affect your husband at all if you exchange it? My sister is going through this now with her boyfriend trying to trade up on a gift she got him, and it's hurting her feelings a bit. If that's not the situation with you guys, then I say trade it in for something(s) you really want! And happy belated birthday!

In other news, the box made it to me today! I'm still going through it all, but I just wanted to share a picture of the massive quantity of swap stuff we have accumulated so far (not including the foils). Also, the anatomicals body wash spilled. There's still a fair amount left, so if anyone wants it, let me know and I'll wrap it up separately. Otherwise I'll donate it to one of my roommates :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

ETA: ugh I can't get it to upload pictures from my phone. I'll add pictures later.

Ok, picture time! The first picture is everything that was in the box when I got it, with the exception of all the foils. There's a crazy amount of stuff! I have no idea how we would have made it with just a medium flat rate box.

The second picture is what I took out, and the third is everything I put in. Then, when I was putting all of the nail polish back, I decided I needed that Formula X one, so I put the two Juleps in to replace it. I also put some Bee Kind lotion in there that I don't think is in the picture. @@BlackMagicRose, it's your turn now!

everything.jpg

what i took.jpg

what i put in.jpg

nail polish.jpg

Latest posts

Back