Cleaning your brushes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you click on the link below and scroll down to her brush cleaning vid... (Rae doesn't post her vids on YouTube, hence the link to her site). http://store.raemorris.com/blogs/faqs This is a very well known Pro MUA explaining her technique of cleaning brushes. Just more food for thought on this contentious topic.

I always use a spray cleaner after every use (it only takes a few seconds after you use it to spray it and clean it on a paper towel after you use i...this is a habit I got into when I worked in a department store at a makeup counter, you clean your brushes after every customer and you also spray it with alcohol in front of the customer before you use it on them). Anyways, like I said I use a pray cleaner after ever use, I like the japonesque brush cleaner and if you are looking for something cheaper, the Ulta brush cleaner is not a bad alternative.

I shampoo my brushes once a week. I actually don't use a brush shampoo, I use philosophy's purity made simple facial cleanser. I love this stuff. I use it to remove my makeup at night too. It get's my brushes super clean, is gentle enough for my natural fiber brushes, and rinses easily. Love this stuff. I tend to use a full coverage foundation (Kat Vond D's Lock-It Tattoo foundation), that really can stick to the fibers of my foundation brushes (the spray will get the majority of it off, but it stain's the fibers and sticks to the inner bristles), and the Purity leaves my brushes nearly looking brand new.

Once in a while, if I feel like my natural fiber brushes are getting a bit dry, I will use a light condition to soften the bristles again, but that is very rarely.

Sometimes if I am in a pinch, and dont have my purity, I will use a tiny bit of dawn dish soap. And I treat my synthetic brushes the same way I treat my natural brushes, with the exception of conditioning them.

I found a brush cleanser from Yellow Rose Soapworks called the Professional Artist & Makeup Brush Soap. On the tub it says, "Cleans and Helps preserve Brushes; Made from a blend of linseed, walnut, and other natural oils. Contains Antibacterial Tea Tree Oil". I love using this because it not only gets my brushes cleaner than any cleanser I've ever used EVER, but after you're done washing, you can gently put a touch of the soap on the brushes to nourish and re-shape them. One they are dry they smell citrus-y.

I haven't tried the palmolive gentle dish soap with vinegar, now I want to clean all my brushes. So far usually I just use baby shampoo, sometimes some of my face cleaner. 

Just popping in to give my two cents. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> When I'm using my brushes daily, I wash them every 3 or 4 days. I use them for powder only- I've never used my brushes for liquids or creams, but that's about to change. I think I'm not too terribly OCD, but when I start using my brushes for creams and liquids, I'd definitely feel the need to wash them after every use. I'm not a MA, just use my cosmetics and brushes on myself.

I use the Michelle Phan method, since it's the only one I learned, and plus I think it's really brilliant. I have Brush Guards and everything!

It works really well for my natural-hair brushes. But I just recently bought some EcoTools brushes, which have synthetic hair, so I guess I should just use shampoo on those... unless dishwashing liquid won't dry them out too badly. I don't want to put olive oil on them for sure!

This is the one I use, too. It doesn't leave any residue, thoroughly cleans my brushes, and smells nice. My clients like the smell. The only problem is the price tag if you're using it to clean your own personal brushes, but its great for makeup artists. 

I like using Clinique's brush cleaner. I use it all of the time. It's key to wash them with soap/water at least twice a week, if not more (depending on the quality, material, etc.). bH cosmetics makes an affordable brush cleaner, that I haven't tried.

I spot clean my brushes every after use, i use parian spirit to spray and swirl the bristles on a paper towel. To deep clean i wash it with baby shampoo and rinse with lukewarm water. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

I have always wondered about how to clean my brushes. I must admit I don't clean them as often as I should but I think the method I will try is the Dawn + Olive oil. It seems the most economical to me. 

Back