Consumer Reports: The MUT Indie Edition

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think everyone has covered most of my experiences, except I would't label Femme Fatale as having a long TAT.  All of my orders have shipped within 48 hours of the time I placed them.  And I believe I have received all of them within 2 weeks of them being shipped.  This is coming from Australia and still manages to get to me before a lot of my stateside orders even ship.

I have placed an order with Portland Black Lipstick Company and will never do so again.  After I placed my order I saw many other people on a different site saying they never received shipping info from PBLC.  A month or so after they placed their order, they would send a follow-up email.  Each and every person, no matter when they placed their order, got a response about how normal TAT was just a few days but they had been swamped with "holiday" orders and were behind.  Holiday orders in August and September???  After the follow-up e-mail PBLC shipped orders usually two days later. But no one got shipping until they asked.  I was also very put off by their samples.  They were a thin slice of lipstick in a baggie.  The slice was very small for the price, and I am not really sure how to make it useful.  If you MUST order form them, I would suggest sending an email BEFORE you place your order asking about TAT.  Then make them hold to whatever they tell you.

I'm not going to list every company but of course you know my feelings about Debaucherous Bath. Even if the products were made of unicorn's tears, I would not shop from this seller again.

My number one, all time YOU GET AN A seller is Alchemic Muse. Hugely fast turn around, never fails to forget the refund for shipping overcharge, and all of my orders have arrived intact and as described. I've loved every one of her scents, and I always wish I could pick up more.

CocoaPink has a slow TAT, but I actually love their scents more than any other store. I don't think Bonfire Pumpkins can be beat! Also, I had her make me a custom scent- basically a rip-off of Kat Von D "Saint," which is no longer made- and though they had never smelled it, they NAILED it. I was AMAZED. And very happy! (It probably helps that Saint is a gourmand!)

Also, I want to name these etsy stores. All of which I have had EXCELLENT experiences with- great products and all had TAT of 4-10 days and the MOST:

shopbelleandblaire- body products/perfume/whips

PurpleCatCreatives- body products/perfumes/whips

BlackCatCreatives- perfumes mostly I belive, but body products too

SweetClementineSoaps- huge selection of all things bath and body

SantuarySoaps- soaps and whips

LimnitLipsticks- lipsticks

TheSudsCafe- soaps and whips 

PolishMeSilly- my new favorite place to buy nail polishes. SO gorgeous and affordable.

darlingclandestine- perfumes (so communicative and kind)

QueenBeeTradingCo- all things hair 

PerformanceColors- lipsticks

I know those aren't in-depth, but most of those I have ordered from more than once, and they have all been excellent experiences that I would recommend to anyone.

I'm not going to list every company but of course you know my feelings about Debaucherous Bath. Even if the products were made of unicorn's tears, I would not shop from this seller again.

My number one, all time YOU GET AN A seller is Alchemic Muse. Hugely fast turn around, never fails to forget the refund for shipping overcharge, and all of my orders have arrived intact and as described. I've loved every one of her scents, and I always wish I could pick up more.
HOLY MOLY it's like Manna from Heaven! My Debaucherous package went to the post office today! We have movement - I repeat, we have movement! :scared:   <----- tears of joy

Don't even get me started on Debaucherous Beauty! I ordered October 28th, & it supposedly shipped on November 21st, but just shipping label created. No movement whatsoever! I've emailed her 3 times & opened an etsy case. Still no response. She will be getting a horrible review from me on her etsy page.

I wanted to throw out an A++ to Performance Colors on etsy! She has mousse foundations & lipsticks & I love love love her stuff!!! I want all her lipsticks! They are 3 for $12 (or $6 each if you're only buying 1) & she includes the cutest lipstick samples with your orders. I've gotten my orders from her usually within 7 days of ordering! So if you like lipstick, try her out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to throw out an A++ to Performance Colors on etsy! She has mousse foundations & lipsticks & I love love love her stuff!!! I want all her lipsticks! They are 3 for $12 (or $6 each if you're only buying 1) & she includes the cutest lipstick samples with your orders. I've gotten my orders from her usually within 7 days of ordering! So if you like lipstick, try her out.
Hah I'm going to be getting my Performance Colors order 3 weeks after I ordered, I had to actually email her because my order hadn't shipped and it had been 2 weeks. So, we'll see how I like them when they get here, but so far I am not impressed.

Don't even get me started on Debaucherous Beauty! I ordered October 28th, & it supposedly shipped on November 21st, but just shipping label created. No movement whatsoever! I've emailed her 3 times & opened an etsy case. Still no response. She will be getting a horrible review from me on her etsy page.

Oh yes, my review is not going to be very nice. I am actually kind of afraid of what I will find in my package, because what if she's spit in the bottle or something (OMG I know, I've watched Waiting too many times) and then the fact that I keep seeing orders arrive with missing items, and I am pretty scared...

Hah I'm going to be getting my Performance Colors order 3 weeks after I ordered, I had to actually email her because my order hadn't shipped and it had been 2 weeks. So, we'll see how I like them when they get here, but so far I am not impressed.
That's so strange! I ordered twice (never for myself, as gifts) and I received both within a week of ordering. But it's good to know.

That's crazy to me too! I've ordered twice now & both came super fast. It only goes to show that every order is different for every person. But I must say,I love her lipsticks!

Keep us posted. I like to know the good & bad sides of companies before ordering. :)

I think what happened with my Performance Colors order was it just got missed or something. At least I hope that's all it was. I emailed and she seemed surprised I didn't have my order yet, or that it hadn't even shipped yet. So we'll see.

Also, I ordered from Glamour Doll Eyes on TUESDAY and got it two days later, TODAY! Amazing!

Can I just say that Carrie and Laura over at NM are absolute saints for putting up with all the issues stemming from my PayPal debacle? Ugh, I'd send them a thank-you gift if I ddidn't think that would be creepy... but seriously, I feel like I am being such an annoyance so I appreciate the patience!

Thanks @@SaraP !

So my DB package FINALLY got accepted at the PO today which means she finally took it to the post office (after 13 days of waiting, 4 emails, & 1 etsy claim). I'm just happy it's coming. It's for a gift so yay!!!!!

Popping into the thread to add some info on indie polishes and to encourage enabling where possible.

First, the bad:

Ethereal Lacquer - She makes gorgeous polishes, there's no doubt about it. But the past 4 of 5  orders I've placed, I've had to initiate some form of email interaction just to receive my order, sometimes a couple months after they were placed. She's extremely slow to respond to emails, if at all, and even slower to ship out orders, if at all. My last order was a preorder that was never shipped, and when I did hear back from her, I was told that it would ship out immediately. I never received a tracking number, and when I received the polishes, they were barely wrapped in bubble wrap and tossed in a box with no protection to keep them from bouncing around in transit. I felt insulted that was the type of response to an issue that was not of my doing. I'm lucky that they weren't broken upon arrival.

I get that life happens, but when you're responsible for a business, if you can't focus the time or energy to the business, then maybe its time to close shop for a while.  If I decide to purchase her polishes again in the future, it will be through a third party retailer who has stock on hand, I won't be purchasing from her directly ever again.

Naild'It Unique Polish - She's gone out of business, but is unresponsive in shipping out outstanding  orders and answering emails. If she decides to reopen her shop in the future, I won't be purchasing from her again. Did I mention her website is also closed?

And now the good:

Stardust Polish - I cannot recommend Stardust enough. Drema's always been extremely polite, quick to respond to emails and she makes great polishes. She was one of my first indie polishes, and is one of my favorites.

Polish My Life - She makes the best cremes and is worth checking out. Another indie who has stellar customer service and the cutest packaging.

A few more who I've had positive experiences with and will glady recommend:

Lacquer Lust

Polish Me Silly

Polished by KPT

Liquid Sky Lacquer

Rica

KBShimmer

Serum No.5

Ellagee

Back