Contour and highlight?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I google Miller Puffs I get recipes for cream puffs and vague references to marijuana! Where can I find them?
Yeah, they are difficult to find... 

You can find them here:

http://www.hiscott.ca/a/Special_FX___Theatrical/Applicators___Tools/20120917/199.html

and here:

https://www.donshobbyshop.ca/catalog/miller-powder-puffs

And these stores are very tight-lipped on where they get them from... I know... Very frustrating. But they do ship!

To wash them, I recommend pinning  4 safety pins through the outer edge opposite each other and place them in a delicates bag, wash using the gentle cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
@@vogueboy - Hi there....I'm always looking for a better way to contour & highlight....  I help my daughter for her stage performances and have learnt by trial and error (and watching Wayne Gossman over the years).  I have used a dark foundation stick for contouring and that has worked on abs and cleavage but no one needs to look closely as she is on stage and it seems to photograph really well but I'm always looking for better products.

I keep reading about the Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit and the Tom Ford scuplting kits (also reviewed on Wayne Goss)  - but my daughter is mixed and I'm Asian so many of the products we've tried are too "red"and not ashy/grey enough for my liking.  Would you recommend any of these products or do you think I should stick with my hunt for the perfect foundation products to use?

I have found products that work - but I have yet to find something that works and doesn't irritate her skin!

Yeah, they are difficult to find... 

You can find them here:

http://www.hiscott.ca/a/Special_FX___Theatrical/Applicators___Tools/20120917/199.html

and here:

https://www.donshobbyshop.ca/catalog/miller-powder-puffs

And these stores are very tight-lipped on where they get them from... I know... Very frustrating. But they do ship!

To wash them, I recommend pinning  4 safety pins through the outer edge opposite each other and place them in a delicates bag, wash using the gentle cycle.
I'm trying to visualize this here...are you talking about pinning multiple puffs together? I apologize this sounds a little on the flaky side!

...and I got the safety pin thing after looking at the links. Many thanks, with apologies for my early-morning DUH! moment.

@@vogueboy - Hi there....I'm always looking for a better way to contour & highlight....  I help my daughter for her stage performances and have learnt by trial and error (and watching Wayne Gossman over the years).  I have used a dark foundation stick for contouring and that has worked on abs and cleavage but no one needs to look closely as she is on stage and it seems to photograph really well but I'm always looking for better products.

I keep reading about the Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit and the Tom Ford scuplting kits (also reviewed on Wayne Goss)  - but my daughter is mixed and I'm Asian so many of the products we've tried are too "red"and not ashy/grey enough for my liking.  Would you recommend any of these products or do you think I should stick with my hunt for the perfect foundation products to use?

I have found products that work - but I have yet to find something that works and doesn't irritate her skin!
Always hunt for your skin tone shade, then you can go up and down a shade or half-shade within your skin tone range.

Most products that pitch highlight and contour kits, do so for more Caucasian skin types than for say, darker skin tones. 

...and I got the safety pin thing after looking at the links. Many thanks, with apologies for my early-morning DUH! moment.
Yeah sorry for the late reply in getting to you...

This is what I do to prevent the inside material from bunching up in the wash... 

photo (2).JPG

I know this is a bit off topic, but it does relate to a previous post / conversation on this thread.

For comparison, both of these compacts are the same shade, and get the same usage time. I did this on purpose to show what happens when you don't blot excess sweat with a tissue or towel first. 

The compact on the right (the lower part), has become dark and hard due to the sweat and oil transfer from a puff or brush, you need to use a spatula to scrap this hard layer off to make it usable again. 

The compact on the left is totally fine. 

photo (1).JPG

I had two actors in a scene together and the set was hot and humid, so I had to constantly touch them up.

I am just pointing out that a little extra step will make your product go a long way and last a long time.

@@vogueboy, I'm revisiting this after seeing a recent video tutorial posted, and I'm hoping tou can make some recommendations.

Let's pretend my standard foundation is the Maybelline Fit Me stick, shade 120. Actually, that is one of my big go-to bases, because I find it has great staying power even in the humidity. What is best for me to use as the contour part and the highlight?  And am I correct in assuming that the sparkly, shimmery stuff most people call highlighter does not come into play here? I don't want to look like I'm wearing paste, but I don't want to have my makeup melt down either!

@@vogueboy, I'm revisiting this after seeing a recent video tutorial posted, and I'm hoping tou can make some recommendations.

Let's pretend my standard foundation is the Maybelline Fit Me stick, shade 120. Actually, that is one of my big go-to bases, because I find it has great staying power even in the humidity. What is best for me to use as the contour part and the highlight?  And am I correct in assuming that the sparkly, shimmery stuff most people call highlighter does not come into play here? I don't want to look like I'm wearing paste, but I don't want to have my makeup melt down either!
This is the proper way to contour and highlight (frames 1-3)...

http://media.trusper.net/u/f1fb4fbd-77bd-45ec-a8e2-02a6e992e40d.jpg

Notice everything is very well blended (frame 3).

The correct way to use shimmers as a highlighter is in the final frame (#4), in the eye area. 

To answer your questions, I would stick to what foundation brand / line you're using now, as you're familiar with how it works on you. As for not melting, just powder as usual or even use a light misting of a setting spray.

HTH

Cheers.

This is the proper way to contour and highlight (frames 1-3)...

http://media.trusper.net/u/f1fb4fbd-77bd-45ec-a8e2-02a6e992e40d.jpg

Notice everything is very well blended (frame 3).

The correct way to use shimmers as a highlighter is in the final frame (#4), in the eye area. 

To answer your questions, I would stick to what foundation brand / line you're using now, as you're familiar with how it works on you. As for not melting, just powder as usual or even use a light misting of a setting spray.

HTH

Cheers.
Thank you for that! It does help to see the pictures and the steps, and I hope you don't mind my picking your brain again here...assuming I use the cream foundations for both the shading and the highliughting, do you recommend an all-over application of my normal base first?

Thank you for that! It does help to see the pictures and the steps, and I hope you don't mind my picking your brain again here...assuming I use the cream foundations for both the shading and the highliughting, do you recommend an all-over application of my normal base first?
No, contour and highlight first, blend well, lightly powder, then add your base to bring back your skin tone powder to set.

;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm quite pale and I like the natural looking contour I get from Benefit Hoola bronzer.  I've seen it work on a lot of skin tones and I've never seen it make anyone look dirty or orange.  I'm not big into highlighting because I feel like I get enough dimension from my contour and the natural flush in my cheeks that it's unnecessary to add any shininess to my face but Benefit High Beam is an awesome highlight.  I mostly use it for under my eyebrows and in the inner corner of my eyes but I'd definitely use it as a face highlight if I ever wanted that look.

Most of the images I see on contouring/highlighting (Kevyn Aucoin, Wayne Goss, etc) use a contour shade several shades darker than the model's natural skin color.  Is this just for illustration purposes?  I am trying to into contouring properly too.

Hi everyone!
I’m planning on trying out contouring and highlighting with foundation and I need some advice, as I don’t want to do a huge regret buy. I really love the “YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat foundation”, but I’m not sure it’d be suitable for contouring though. What are your thoughts on that? Also, is there any high-end foundation you’d recommend for contouring? Please keep in mind that I’m looking for one for daily use.

Contour, highlight, bronzer, and blush means totally different things based on colour theory.

Bronzer = sun glow or a sun tanned look.

Blush = flushed look, due to blood rushing to the face from an elevated emotional response like from embarrassment or arousal.

Highlighter = higher light (reflection). As opposed to a lower light (receading, non-reflecting).

Contour = to shape by creating depth.

I see the mistake of women using blush and bronzers as contour and highlighters on the street all the time. Typically it's the under 25 crowd... Of course there are exceptions. <snip>

Yes, that's a great deal for a bronzer. But you would never use a bronzer as a contour.
Thank you so much for this! There are a couple of points I'd like to make in agreement. First, for anyone who uses a bronzer to contour; look at your bare face in a mirror in natural light. Turn your head from side to side, and look at the shadows that are created in the contours of your face. What color are those natural shadows? They aren't brown. They are a greyish taupe. THAT is why no bronzer will ever look natural when used as a contour product.

Just as an FYI, NYX makes a powder blush in "Taupe" (http://www.nyxcosmetics.com/p-24-powder-blush.aspx) that can work well on many skintones as a contour, if.....

...you apply it correctly and don't use too much! (If you can see the product on your skin, your face will look dirty - then you have applied too much product).

One of the most enlightening videos I've seen was one posted by Lisa Eldridge. It was quite a long time ago, so I don't recall specifically which video it was (I don't think the topic of the video was contouring and highlighting, though).

In that video, I saw Lisa gently swirl her brush in the powder contour (which was a taupe shade), then holding the brush perpendicular to the back of her hand, she tapped the tip of the bristles on the back of her hand several times to remove the excess product. She then applied the powder to the areas she wished to define of one side of the model's face. She did not dip the brush again into the contour product compact - to get a bit more product on her brush when she needed it, she gently tapped it again on the back of her hand to pick up the "loose" powder that had been deposited there when she tapped off the excess product before beginning application.

With the model's face turned to the side to which the product had been applied, you could NOT see the product on the skin at all. But, when the model turned to face the camera, it definitely appeared the side of her face to which the product had been applied had more defined contours than the side of the face to which the contour powder had not yet been applied.

All of us need to learn not all products have to be noticeable after application to have the desired effect. In terms of highlight and contour, less is absolutely more.

Throwing my two cents into the topic.

First let me introduce Vogueboy, our resident professional working makeup artist. He has many years of experience working on movies, tv shows, documentaries and photo shoots. I believe he also has runway experience but off the top of my head I'm blanking on his portfolio work. This man knows what he's talking about and while he has many years of experience he's also very open to learning new things (as all pro-MUAs are).

Now, I'm not a professional MUAs, I freelance here and there though I haven't done so in many, many months now however I still would never consider myself a professional MUAs because I don't work enough or in the field that Vogueboy works. I am a beauty blogger and refuse to be called a guru because it's such an overused term. To me vloggers are just vloggers and unless they work on clients faces or have worked on clients faces they are not nor will they ever be a makeup artist. I've slowed down what companies I review for because I'm actually sick of being expected to review in a certain manner however there are many who have no qualms in being "OMG! This is the BEST thing ever!" despite the fact they only used the product for a hot second for their video, don't know how to apply the product correctly (highlight and contour videos annoy me since 99% of them are all based on the Kim K look instead of for the person's face shape) or how it works on other skin types and environments. A product that works great on a person in their late teens with combo skin may not work great on a person in their late 40s with combo skin. Skin changes over time and what I could wear in my teens I couldn't wear in my 20s or 30s. I'm now 40 and have to use products appropriate for my skin type at my age because texture changes. All of these new vloggers jumping on the fame bandwagon also typically do not know what they're talking about and most are merely repeating what they learned online and almost always it's advise given by another vlogger based on advise from someone else and not on any type of real experience or training. It annoys me.

If you're going to learn the basics from online videos then learn from a professional like Lisa Eldridge or the ladies from Greene Street Beauty (Kim Greene and Melissa Street) or even Koren. Just because vlogger is cute and you think he or she looks amazing doesn't mean he or she knows what he or she's talking about.

As for contour and highlighting, Greene Street Beauty has a fantastic app that allows to create a face charge based on your face structure and it shows where you should highlight or contour for YOUR face shape. Example, for me I have a more triangular shaped face which is more narrow at the forehead and wider at the jaw. This means if I were to contour my forehead I would be essentially getting rid of it because I have very a small forehead to begin with, in my case I would want to highlight the forehead at the temples and only at the temples not in the center of my forehead. I wouldn't contour my cheeks however I would around the jaw line tapering towards my jar then highlighting the jowls and chin. If I had a long face then the Kim K look would be more appropriate. The reason why contour and highlighting are done for the appropriate face shapes is so that you can trick the eye into thinking the face is the more ideal oval shape which does NOT need ANY type of contouring or highlighting since it's considered to be the perfect or ideal shape.

I'll get off my soap box on this since I've come to loath highlighting and contour videos since it's almost always done wrong with the wrong products and always almost looks over done.

As for where to get Miller's Puffs try Qosmedix.

http://cosmetic-supplies.qosmedix.com/search?w=miller+puff

@@zadidoll Very well put! I don't proclaim to know anything about makeup application on anyone else's face, but I got a lot of tips from MUA's when I was younger and I worked that look for a long time. Then I became permanently 29 and those tips and tricks from when I was 15-16 just didn't look good anymore. Luckily I was able to get some advice from pro MUA's here in Vegas but I also watched a lot of tutorials and tried a lot of terrible things. I came quickly to the conclusion that the beauty "gurus" did not know anything more than me. I think it is fine to try their looks/style, but don't think for a minute they are professionals! We're all just makeup lovers having fun. (And the sponsorship thing drives me insane, too) I do love Lisa Eldridge, though, especially since she gives great advice for aging skin.

I like my look now, but it is always evolving and I am always open to trying new things. I basically follow @@vogueboy around this forum just to see his advice! :lol:

Back