Contour and highlight?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately we're among the few who know that vloggers are not up to snuff when it comes to dishing advise. I personally think that vloggers have ruined the confidence of many young ladies (tweens, teens and college students) with their bad advice because pretty much a good majority of people online think the Kim K look is a good look to replicate for daily use. People! You have a beautiful face embrace how YOU look and stop trying to copy someone whose only claim to fame is the fact she mom promoted her thanks to a sex tape video. If it wasn't for that sex tape video people would be saying, "Kim Kardashian who?"

Unfortunately we're among the few who know that vloggers are not up to snuff when it comes to dishing advise. I personally think that vloggers have ruined the confidence of many young ladies (tweens, teens and college students) with their bad advice because pretty much a good majority of people online think the Kim K look is a good look to replicate for daily use. People! You have a beautiful face embrace how YOU look and stop trying to copy someone whose only claim to fame is the fact she mom promoted her thanks to a sex tape video. If it wasn't for that sex tape video people would be saying, "Kim Kardashian who?"
It is very sad that vloggers tend to have such a negative impact on people's self esteem when their platform encourages and puts them in a position [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]to lift people up more so than a lot of people. Not to say we don't all have the opportunity to make people feel better about themselves, but beauty vlo[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]g[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]gers should have a bit more of a template than most. It's also why I have sli[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]ght bias a[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]gainst Bobbi Brown (despite bein[/SIZE]g a great mua)[SIZE=14.4444446563721px], because of the way she approaches makeup as somethin[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]g so intrinsically linked to you as a person, and your self esteem. I believe a lot more people would have a lot more fun with makeup if they weren't tau[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]ght to be terrified of what others thou[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]ght of it, or that it was only a tool to be acceptable. I personally believe that makeup should have nothin[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]g to do with what you believe you are worth, or who you can be, and that you need to reco[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]gnize this as soon as you can, and that even when I conceal my "flaws" it's not for anyone else's sake, or even my own, but editin[/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]g a story so that the important parts aren't overshadowed. But this is just my opinion. [/SIZE]

Hello,

I'm new to contouring and I don't use foundation(my skin is pretty clear & I don't feel that I need it). I bought a smash box contour kit the other day at Sephora & I'm trying to learn how to contour but when I apply the powder it looks blotchy. The only thing I put on my face is face primer and for some reason I can't get the powder to evenly distribute. Help !

I got the Anastasia Beverly Hills contour kit and I love it! Before I was using a concealer and a bronzer which worked fine but the contour kit blends so much better. I do wish the highlight ones were lighter though because I'm pretty ghostly LOL.

I got the Anastasia Beverly Hills contour kit and I love it! Before I was using a concealer and a bronzer which worked fine but the contour kit blends so much better. I do wish the highlight ones were lighter though because I'm pretty ghostly LOL.
I've heard a lot of good things about that kit, and plan to purchase it soon.  I'm also pretty ghostly, but I think I'll still give it a shot :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Been wanting to try the whole contouring thing for ages now lol

Wow... I'm surprised that so many women actually use contouring in their makeup routines.  I'm curious to know if it's something you use every day, or something you bother with only on special occasions.

I used makeup for years, doing just you basic foundation (sometimes just pressed powder), blush, eyeliner and lipstick/lipgloss.  I still think it looks really good, it takes me literally about 4-5 minutes to do, and it suffices most days.  However, I'm planning to start venturing out in the near future, so I've been doing all that I can to make my face as feminine as possible.

My favorite way to do contouring isa with different color foundations.  I used to swear by powders, but foundation goes on so smooth, blends well, and doesn't "cake" like some powders tend to do--especially when you're using them for contouring.  I do still use powders for contouring, but mainly as touch-ups.

Below are a couple of pictures of me with and without contouring (just regular makeup).  The one with the contouring isn't as clear (it was a full-person selfie that I cropped just the face to post here), and it's the one with the white shoulder straps showing.  I especially like the effect contouring has on my nose.  Again--it's light as far as contouring goes, although there's more that doesn't show due to my wig.  The other photo is a picture of me with my regular makeup (powder foundation, blush, eyeliner and lipstick).

I need to apologize in advance for not having a toothy smile.  It will likely be this way for several months at least... I recently acquired a set of (painful!!) braces :) 

Last edited by a moderator:
So considering some have seen my last post you can probably tell I am sort of a rookie. When I wore make up in the past it was pretty much bronzer and mascara. 

I am a little experimenting, I have found out a little bit about foundation but I recently bought the Sephora contouring kit, just because I am a beginner. Is there another one I can get into that's not SUPER expensive but works wonders?

contouring is good, but you don't have to contour everyday!

i would defiantly say start out with foundation first, if you haven't used it much yet.

then move on contouring. it can get tricky and it takes a bit of practice.

Honestly brozer and concealer are cheap alternatives and work wonderfully!! I use Rimmel Natural bronzer for the contouring and Maybelline dream lumi for the highlighter!  They come in a range of shades to suit your skin tone!

No, contour and highlight first, blend well, lightly powder, then add your base to bring back your skin tone powder to set.

;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Hello new to this site and recently began a make up course at university so slowly getting to grips with everything.

Could I just ask that when you say lightly powder then add base, would this be a powder base as I thought liquid or cream on powder would end up caking and etc. upon trial and error touching up foundation after any powdering creams or liquids are out of the question.. 

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but if you don't ask you don't learn!

Thanks.

Back