Days 11-20 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of Fitbit people here.  Anyone interested in starting a Fitbit group?  Or if I start one, would anyone sign up?
I have been wanting one, so once I get it, I would definitely join! I was thinking of swapping it out for one of my rewards I have planned anyway, since they are about the same price.

I think I'll start sorting nail polishes this time. I didn't include them in the massive sort-a-palooza before January 1st. I know I probably have massive amounts of purples and blues, so I need to whittle out the dupes.

I'm about 1/3 way through writing down everything I have.  I decided to write down everything into the notes section of my phone.  I always have my phone on me, and that way I can look at it if I need a reminder of what I've got.  Unfortunately, it only allows for 1,000 characters at a time, and I'm onto my 4th note.  1 entire note was just perfumes, yikes!  It will probably be just as bad for my lotions, though.  That reminds me, I need to put a lotion in the bathroom, after a shower I always think to put some on, but since there's none in there, I forget about it by the time I leave.

I also did a mask today, while wearing it I started to read the bottle, and it says to expect it to last 18 months.  Right now I'm in the 17th month of having it, and it's probably only got a few more uses left.

I've done well so far. No more buying things I don't need. The best part is that I am actually making progress on my destash! Seeing the amount of stuff I have definitely has me disgusted and not wanting to buy more. I'm glad I collected some stuff because it helped me discover the items I really love, but there's really no need to keep around a bunch of stuff I don't love. I am still having some issues getting rid of some stuff, but I have a ton of stuff now that I am getting rid of. For 11-20, I will keep destashing my makeup/skincare collection and list stuff on ebay/edivv/donate so I don't have a bunch of stuff lying around. It's a very exciting process. 

I tried another blush today. It was a creme blush which I had no idea how to apply. I also made a list of subs and canceled 3 today. I put them in the spoiler because I wasn't sure if I could write about it or if it had to be in a spoiler.

I emailed Petit Vour to cancel. I use one or two products from each box and after looking back at the boxes I received decided it was time to cancel. I emailed HomeGrown Collective to cancel before my 3 month sub renews. I am not even sure if it autorenews. I have to email them every month for my box. It always comes, but I don't want to chase after the sub. The last one made me sad. I cancelled Gourmet Body Treats. This was an easy cancellation because it was through PayPal. I cancelled it because I love their cleanser, moisturizer, and mask. I'm committed to those items and don't need to continue the sub.

Mini Goals/Updates that are on my mind:

So I didn't come up with any mini goals for the first 10 days, but I'm going to kind of list some that have been floating in my mind these past few days and see if I can split them up to be used in the next 9 sections of 10 days. Hehehe.

1. Cotton pads for face- I use the Shiseido ones, and I want to make flannel ones from baby blankets, then compare and see if it's soft enough to take the place of me buying those.

2. Nail polish remover with old rag instead of cotton pads.

3. Make DIY eyelash and brow serum using old mascara tubes. (Already cleaned out 2 tubes for this, and it takes several days because you have to let them dry before you add your oils in.)

4. Fix my Mint.com account- it's working but having trouble attaching to my bank account.

5. Buy Roth IRA for 2014/2015. I think I already maxed mine out for 2014 last December, but that could have been 2013 instead... so I need to check on this!

6. Check on TSP/401k. I just want to check in on this and see what's up.

7. Update address at Raymond James.

8. Start the envelope method soon- get it ready for February.

9. Clean out closet.

10. Go through all clothes and get rid of 20% of clothes.

11. Make list of things I may need so I can plan for their purchases (running shoes, prescription sunglasses, hair clips and hair pins).

12. Keep list of things I want and reevaluate if I still want it at the end of 100-day no-buy.

13. Keep running! At least 3x a week! (I ran Monday and Tuesday after work, now I just need to run one more day this week to keep this goal going!)

14. Pack lunches for work.

15. Go to my credit union's annual dinner. (1/27 at Muse Center, Hinds CC).

16. Get the ex off my credit card, and my name off his.

17. When I start running out of items I need, consider emailing companies for samples instead of repurchasing. Or going to Sephora for samples to try. But only a few times, not indefinitely.

18. Get back into reading and sending letters to friends to keep myself from obsessing over makeup.

19. Start obsessing over my thesis and get it going! Work on it 2 days a week at the minimum!!! Consider going to the library Saturday 9-12 to work on it every weekend.

20. Regularly get rid of mascara and lip balms after 3 months.

21. Clean makeup brushes one time in each of the 10 10-day sections!

22. Take a look at my December and January bank statements!!!

23. Keep writing your 'morning pages' where you list out what time you went to bed, when you woke up, what time you got to work, what you ate, what you purchased, if you exercised, and what tempted you and how you're dealing with it!  I did this today and it's awesome!!!

Here's a sneak peak at my page for today!

photo 1(3).JPG
I didn't quite finish up all my plans, so I'm continuing the list quoted above from the first 10 days. I've crossed out ones I was successful with already, and have bolded the ones I want to focus on first.

Also, I want to continue with:

#23 on my list of writing my morning pages every day. I also want to type up and print out a checklist of things I want to make sure I do daily (like meditating, treating my skin well, exercising or stretching, flossing, you get the idea.)

#11 Make list of items that I may need to buy so I can plan for them

#12 Keep list of items that tempt me for reevaluation

#13 Run and excercise!

#14 Pack lunches so I don't have to spend money on going out to eat

And I'm adding some new ones:

24. Paint nails and toenails twice a week- Make sure to oil cuticles multiple times a day!

25. Keep working on style inspiration notebook to zero in on your style. When you figure it out, work on your style wardrobe thingy at Into Mind blog (http://into-mind.com/2012/12/20/building-a-capsule-wardrobe-101/) My goal is a minimalistic, quality over quantity curated set of belongings that help make me happier, rather than make me anxious!

26. Pay off credit card

And a note on my first 10 days: I did it!!!!!!! I haven't bought any beauty items or even any other items that were not planned for (rx sunglasses I purchased had been in the works for a loooong time, and I had to replace my necessary skincare items). I'm so happy!!!!

Congratulations to everyone who has participated in the first 10 days of the 100 day no-buy!!! And if you were successful, even more props to you!!!! :wizard:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to everyone who has participated in the first 10 days of the 100 day no-buy!!! And if you were successful, even more props to you!!!! :wizard:
Congrats to you too and everyone else who made it! 

I managed unscathed, and it really helped to keep a wish list. 

My main goal is to not redirect my urge to buy makeup toward clothes. I bought a bunch of stuff in December and should be able to manage without buying more for a while. So no clothes purchases for these 10 days.

I also really need to clear out my linen and coat closets. Every time I open the doors, something falls out on me.

Mainly, I am trying to focus my time and attention elsewhere.

I found you all!! 

I missed the first 11 days and was inadvertently successful on the no-buy because work has kept me super busy, a little too busy for the start of January! I did buy some things like a coat and some sweaters, but absolutely nothing beauty related so that's a success in my book!

Goals for the next 9 days include: 

• Working out at least 3x this week: I've had this Zumba game for my WiiU for almost a YEAR NOW and I have yet to ever try it, so yeah it's time to break that sucker in
  • There are 3 major organization projects I need to get done in my home: organize my closet , organize my office and organize my beauty stash.  In the next ten days, I will plan to organize my closet, by giving away a ton of items I've been holding on to for far too long, and only keeping new pieces and pieces that I absolutely love wearing and feel fabulous in.  Life is too short to have a closet full of clothes I don't fully love! 
  • Continue to cook as many meals at home as possible.  With my busy job that is a difficult task, but my boo helps out a lot with meals as well so I can count on him to help us complete that goal. 
That's all for me, if I get that all done over the next 10 days, I will be supremely happy!

I delayed writing my 10 day goals just because I wasn't really sure what I wanted them to be other than my regular low buy rules and goals, but I think I've come up with a few things.

1. Use at least 3 masks
  2. Inventory my newly organized skincare products
  3. Get started on organizing my stuff in the spare bedroom, which includes nail polish and a bunch of FCS stuff.
  4. Finish at least 2 samples/products in my shower currently, there are quite a few nearing the end.
  5. Organize my stuff I have to review
  6. Finish the body butter on my bedside table
  7. Throw away/give away at least 5 things I don't want anymore

Everyone's goals are so inspiring! I love that many of us are using this challenge to better our lives in different ways and get 2015 off to a great start.

I did really well for the first ten days- no real urge to shop and I've been going through product like crazy. I wore makeup everyday and love how put together I feel when I take a few extra minutes in the morning to put on more than just foundation/concealer/powder.

Goals for 11-20:

1. Rotate stash and use different products.

2. Use a face mask at least two times.

3. Cook most meals at home (can eat one lunch and one dinner out of the house, must budget for these).

4. Continue donation pile- try to find one thing to donate each day.

5. Make a schedule for school work. Go over syllabus and plan assignments.

6. Deep clean bathroom.

Have a great week, friends!

I would love to be able to redeem my fitbit stuff for amazon GCs! In the first 6 months I had my Garmin I walked 2,370,374 steps which was 1121.25 miles. I miss the altimeter on the fitbit and can't wait till I get mine.
I have Humana and it's through them I can redeem Fitbit activities.  You can also try AchieveMint (just Google it) for a $50 Visa gift card but it takes a loooooong time to earn (quicker if you have a smartphone and can connect some apps).  And you can also connect your Fitbit account to a Walgreens Balance Rewards card and get points redeemable for merchandise at Walgreens.  (Since I buy my vitamins and allergy pills there, this is a good deal for me.  I also go there to get vaccinations when I need them because you can earn extra points that way.)

I haven't been coming up with 10 day goals.  I did a lot of cleaning and organizing over the holidays so now I just have to maintain (which is a lot easier and less daunting).  I've prioritized areas that smell bad or have the potential to smell bad, like the carpet where my dog sleeps -- she knocks her water over a lot -- or the area around the litter box.  Other things will follow (today is getting rid of OOOOOOOOOLD leftovers from the refrigerator, for example).

I already paint my nails twice a week but even so, I will never make it through my nail polish stash (estimating around 180 bottles...).  I am at least trying to use up all my duplicates (Julep mystery boxes...).  I can't paint my toenails right now because I hurt one of my toes badly over the summer and the toenail is all messed up and has an actual crease across it and I think the old one is going to fall off (but it's not gross because a nice new one is growng in under it).  So I am letting that sort itself out first.

I'm trying to use masks once a week and make a dent in my stash of deep conditioners.  I think the deep conditioners don't work as well for me as simple coconut oil, but I've got all these products so I should use them.

I've worn eyeshadow every day that I go to work so I'll try to keep that up.  I've gone back to doing yoga every day and exercising five times a week so I'm going to try to keep that up too.  As much as I love diet soda, I've cut way back on that (from 2+ cans a day to maybe 1 a week) because of an acid reflux problem and BPA in the can liners.

It's more about changing habits for me, long term, than anything else.  One bad thing happens and I get totally derailed and do EVERYTHING wrong -- eating, shopping, stopping exercising, etc.  I need to make good behaviors into habits so I can get through the harder times.

My 11-20 day goals:

• Use a different lip product everyday, similar to what I did for my perfume samples. I have so many lip products, but never wear them.  Again, I'll make a list of the ones I toss and mark a reason why I pitched it (wrong color? crap formula?). Today's choice was the Fresh Sugar lip balm in Petal. 
  • Unsubscribe from sale emails on both of my email accounts, for two reasons. One is to not be tempted to buy items from places that I don't actually shop at. Two is to cut down on the emails in general. I have like 7500 email in one account because I can't keep up with deleting them!
  • Finish up my It's a Ten leave in. If I can get through the rest of it in 10 days, a goal for the next 10 days will be to use up some of my other leave in products before cracking into my new It's a ten bottle. 
  • Paint my nails at least once. 

Damnit. Forgot to put on mascara today. Going to buy cheap stuff at cvs to put in my desk at work. I thought I had one but apparently not :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I consider this a need...lol

I'm late and I just found you! My challenge starts today because I've been spending spending spending for the past week, and this is exactly why I need this group! I loved reading all your goals... It's very motivating and inspiring :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Here are mine for days 11-20:

1. Except groceries and necessities, The only things I can/will spend on is baby stuff (I still need to buy a few things before baby arrives) or maternity clothing, if I NEED them. At this point I don't, but a new bra might be needed in the near future.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

2. Use a mask 2x a week

3. Use a scrub 2-3x a week (face & body)

4. Keep writing down all my empties. I've finished 12 products in january so far and want to keep going. I need to empty my stash and de-clutter.

5. Throw away some stuff! Magazines, clothes AND expired beauty products.

6. Do cardio for 20-30 minutes 4x a week and strength training 3x. This will actually be the easiest for me, since I'm already doing it but I want to keep going.

7. Use my FitBit daily (Also, I'd totally join a FitBit group :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job and thousand thumbs up for everyone participated and hundreds more for those who were successful =)

My reminders for day 11-20:

a. My shampoo and conditioner may last another week or not, I will need to purchase new ones when I do grocery shopping next time- Goal is to buy only one of each, and to buy something not exciting, but something I know will work for me- aka play safe here.

b. Go through 1-2 perfume samples, if I hate the smell, toss it.

c. Try different color combination on everyday makeup. Just a reminder to avoid falling into a boring "routine look".

d. Keep reminding myself of my skincare backup- currently have 2 moisturizers, 2 sheet masks packs, 1 makeup remover- My temptation for buying new skincares is creeping up on me. 

e. I used up my mud mask in last 10 days section, and I was doing sheet masks regularly so this section, I will use facial scrubs twice and keep up with regular sheet mask usage.

--I am weirdly happy to see how everyone is using masks regularly and enjoying them-- I think I have a small thing about masks ---

What a morning. The hubby made me breakfast this morning, and decided to start talking finances before I headed to work. His hobby is lifting, and there is a competition in another state...expenses would be $200-300. I told him that if he could get it down to $200, then it's ok. Thing of it is, we have vacation in April, credit card bills to pay...I do make twice as much as him, so I'm the one that carries the insurance, puts money into 401k, and roughly pays 2-3x the number of house bills, while trying to pay off my own debt. So, we got into a big long discussion this morning about finances and while I know he loves lifting weights, unless he can keep it to $200, he just can't afford it. I flat out told him that if he goes, and spends too much, I don’t want to hear that he's broke and can't pay the water bill. I'm doing this no buy to pay off my debt, save money for vacation, and I work 2 jobs. So, with all that, I forgot to put on eyeliner and mascara--had eyeshadow already on.

Sooo...I spent $13 at CVS on wet n wild mascara (OMG, awful. I'm glad that it will just be my back up), and 2 Rimmel eyeliners (blue for top lip, nude for bottom). I was tempted to look around, and other than wnw, rimmel was the cheapest--it was BOGO 50%. I'm going to keep these here at work...I used to have a back up mascara in my desk (as I've forgotten this befoere!), but I realized I threw it away because it got old.

I still consider my no buy a success, as while my life didn't depend on mascara and eyeliner, I really looked funny. I have blonde eyelashes and dark hair...It was either CVS, or run home, and I live 20 min away roundtrip from work.

It days like this that would make me want to shop. However, I think I'm just going to read every post here in the no buy, as I have no motivation to work....

Back