Days 11-20 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I had realized I hadn't been to a Sephora for MONTHS. Yes, months as I had been buying online only to limit myself from making more purchases. That was just a random revelation.

For these next 10 days, my goals are:

1.  Continue with Project Pan - So far, I have managed to finish 4 things out of a list of 15 items.  I'm thinking about adding more things into my list just as a way to keep using the same items for this month to see how much I can finish.

2.  Clear out my closet - I've gotten rid of a lot of clothes and now have a more manageable closet with items I see myself wearing.  I do think that I can get rid of a few more party dresses as I no longer wear them.

3.  Get rid of textbooks - I feel like I can get rid of some books although I'm planning on keeping the ones from my core classes and other general science/calculus books as references.

4.  Use up candles - I have recently finished 5 of these and I have 6 left. I'm not buying any until this 100-day no-buy is over.

5.  Clear out samples - Although these are great for traveling, it just leaves up too much clutter and I would prefer to use them before they get kind of old.

6.  Organize my apartment - I'm going to reorganize everything just in case I randomly have friends/family over unexpectedly.

I remembered someone asking about organizing ideas. Here is a cute one I did for my perfume samples. I tossed old potpourri out and replaced it with samples around the candle. It's also by my bathroom light switches so I never forget to put perfume on before I leave.

20150112_190951.jpg

20150112_190941.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The good:

• I am sticking to my goals for days 11-20--so far I've worn eyeshadow for 3 days in a row, have painted my toenails, and have done inventory!
  • In the process of doing inventory, I found some green eyeshadow I'd forgotten about, and thereby killed a lemming for a small green eyeshadow palette!  Die, lemming, die!
The bad:

• OMG, I took inventory.  I have much more stuff than I realized.  It's not as much as some inventory counts I've seen, and more than others.  Kind of an in-the-middle absolute number.  BUT.  It is way more than I need.  Now I feel kind of down, when I'd been feeling so happy before, thinking about achieving my goals.

I really feel like the true test of my no-buy muscle is going to be when I get paid at the end of the month. I'm feeling quite twitchy and antsy and bored of my look like I do before I decide to make a purchase at Sephora or Nordstrom. The only reason I haven't bought anything is because I barely have enough $$ to cover food for the next two weeks, so obviously I can't afford anything as frivolous as blush right now.

I'm really going to spend some time meditating and trying to pin down the reason why I'm so much less gung-ho about this no buy lately but yeah. I just feel so blah about this all of a sudden.  :scared:  Probably because saving money isn't as "fun" as spending money. 

Had a bit of a stressful day at work.  So fighting the urge to buy myself something to cheer myself up.  

Also, kind of disgusted with myself I went to get some stuff from under my sink and I found the unopened Sephora Paint the Town 22 pack of mini Formula X nail polish.  The one in the paint can.  I ordered this before Christmas.  Half the colors I won't wear.  Out of the ones I will wear there are maybe 3 I don't have dupe or better version of.  I am going to take this to Sephora and let myself get 2 nail polishes in exchange.

Also decided that it was okay to return a gift if I already have a half full version of it that takes me 6-months to a year to use up.  The gift might go bad before then.

I did finish one perfume sample today. 

Goal for this week:

Go through my stash and put together some items to give away.  I hold on to samples that I *might* use *someday* and never get around to them.  Lets face it, with a 3 week old baby I'm not going to be blow drying my hair any time soon.   :laughno:   I will put together some bags and give them to family or friends over the next week.  

I have been able to get rid of 4 foils and expect to be clearing out a couple of deluxe and full size items any time now.

Today I am just feeling irritated. For no good reason, and not with anyone. Nothing happened, and it is not PMS time. Have you ever had one of those days? Hopefully it will go away with a good night's sleep. I'm off to bed.

I have been able to get rid of 4 foils and expect to be clearing out a couple of deluxe and full size items any time now.

Today I am just feeling irritated. For no good reason, and not with anyone. Nothing happened, and it is not PMS time. Have you ever had one of those days? Hopefully it will go away with a good night's sleep. I'm off to bed.
Sorry you had an irritable day.  I have those too.  Hope you got a good night's sleep and tomorrow is a better day!

Congrats on cleaning out things you do not want/need!

Day 13: Made an approved purchase.  Am waffling between feeling guilty and wanting to shop, shop, shop! Going to read a book and unwind for bed.

I continue to make progress on using up foils and will be glad when I am through them and can move on to more fun things that I am excited to try lol.

And in my daily gym saga: Went to spinning class tonight.  It was different than last night and I can't determine if it for the better or not.  Towards the end of the class the lights went out.  The generator came on so we could see but the whole gym lost power and the mall where the gym is and surrounding businesses.  We were troopers and kept goin on our workout lol

One of my kids needed new mittens so I bought him a pair of mittens yesterday.  The other kid needed new shirts, pants, and socks so I bought him an assortment of new clothes including a start to his summer wardrobe since the prices were really reasonable.  These purchases are sensible.

I'm feeling really good about sticking to my beauty no-buy for days 11-20 and beyond.  Since I plan to generate at least 100 empties in the first 100 days of 2015 I am focusing on using products from my stash instead of buying stuff and this really seems to be working well for me.  Hopefully this enthusiasm continues for the entire100 day no-buy challenge!!!

Not going to lie, the current Zoya promo is tempting me.  Even though I already have almost 180 nail polishes.  I don't need another one (or six).

I'm not going to buy and should probably simply unsubscribe from their list.  I am sure if they have a promo after the no buy is up, I would be able to find it here.

I was able to totally ignore an Ulta GWP promo e-mail today or yesterday.  But that Zoya one keeps haunting me.

Edit: Find it "here" as on MUT, not in this particular thread.
You know what to do.  Unsubscribe from the list.  Forget about Zoya and focus on the products you already have! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Not going to lie, the current Zoya promo is tempting me.  Even though I already have almost 180 nail polishes.  I don't need another one (or six).

I'm not going to buy and should probably simply unsubscribe from their list.  I am sure if they have a promo after the no buy is up, I would be able to find it here.

I was able to totally ignore an Ulta GWP promo e-mail today or yesterday.  But that Zoya one keeps haunting me.

Edit: Find it "here" as on MUT, not in this particular thread.
Oh, same here. I didn't put myself on the no buy, but I really keep trying to resist anyway. I just don't need them. Even though I went through and added a whole bunch of colors to my wishlist ("ooh this is pretty and this is pretty and this is pretty..."), and I have to return something tomorrow so I'll have a little extra money. I came to read all the no buy forums to get some "I will resist buying" inspiration.

I love reading these forums because it really makes me stop and think about if I want/need something. It's also really nice to know that there are a lot of other makeup/beauty obsessed ladies who are trying to curb what they buy. I don't feel like I'm missing out not getting the newest things or all the special deals because there are others purposely doing the same. Thank you ladies.

So the my goal of wearing a different lip product everyday may be more difficult than I thought.... I hardly ever wear lip color, so wearing something 3 days in a row is way different for me. I may have to augment my goal to wearing a lip product 8 of 10 days, just so my poor lips have a rest (it is so cold and dry here that my lips are getting flaky and gross :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) I'll keep going until I though!

Day 12 lip: Loreal Glossy Balm in Ginger candy. Much better suited for the spring/summer.

Day 13 lip: Maybelline Color Whisper in Mocha Muse. Pretty balmy (aka makes my lips feel better). I just wish it didnt have little pieces of glitter in it!

This segment has been a little rocky. Definitely tempted by some sales and new releases. I did make some pre-approved purchases for an exchange which helped the urge to shop somewhat. I need to refocus on my goals.

Late post for day 13: success. No cosmetics buys. Continuing to try to use up things...a little left on a mac lipstick (blooming lovely) that I'm trying to use up-it's a little too lavender for work, but I've been paring viva glam vi lipgloss over it to make it a little bit more pink. I'm trying to use that up also!

My mally eyebrow stick just won't die. I like it, but sheesh, I definitely got my $$ worth!!

Big test tonight...plans to go shopping with a friend. But-she does help to hold me accountable...will keep doing my best.

On Friday, I will purchase a necessity-mascara primer. I hate wearing my waterproof mascara without it and mine is 6 months old (for some reason, I use the primer for 6 mo, but mascara only 3). However, I will be ordering the cheapest from sephora-because I'm rouge, free shipping. I usually use Mary Kay to support a friend, but I overspend on that because I feel like I should order more to help her. But ordering all that doesn't help me, and I keep trying to remember that!!

Part of me feels like I'm trying to justify my primer, although it's something I use everyday. It gives me this odd feeling like I can just fall back into my old habit if I'm not careful.

Ugh, so this leg of the challenge just got really easy....and I'm not happy about it!

I have charges on my credit card that aren't from me ($150 of video game downloads, who would want that when you could buy makeup!?). So I don't have a credit card until they send me a new one in 7-10 business days. So no makeup purchases for me! I did buy myself a latte this morning because yesterday was crazy with the CC stuff, which I feel a little guilty for, but it wasn't on my list of no-buys, so I going to stop worrying, starting now!

On the topic of my other goals, today is my workflow organization day! I'm closing my office door and not emerging until I have a system that will work for me! I work at a university and the students are back next week, so it's the perfect time to get the semester started off right.

Back