December 2014 Low-Buy/No-Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, Confessional, and Holiday Snacks!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys!!! Only 10 days left (counting today) until the end of this month! STAY STRONG!!! Keep checking in and let us know how you're doing!

Ok, for me, I slipped up, which I won't go into here, but if you care I'll be in the 'I fell off the wagon' thread to do some more explaining. Eugh. But basically after my last slip-up, I spent $14.60. Not a terrible slip-up, but still! I am seriously considering returning one of the 'planned items' from my last slip-up that I have not worn yet and so don't need....

I think I can remain strong the rest of this month. I'll have Christmas to look forward to, then New Year's Eve!!! (Anyone doing any cool looks for both?) Then my official 100-day no-buy will start on the 1st... with the exception of picking up my b-day presents from you-know-where. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok, let's end this month and year as strong as possible, ladies. YOU GO GIRLS!!!
10 days left before the NEW YEAR... wow! Don't beat yourself up for your slip-up! It is okay as long as you learn from it-- And things can always be returned if you wanted to do it. 

I have been doing just fine this month, like I said before, I am using December as my recovery month after November madness. I confess that I hit Sephora vib rouge when I used my $20 off $50 this month. I have never rouged before, and I was embarrassed and went through all the purchases that happened this year in Sephora ( I don't shop at other high end beauty stores, and I say the little tip for that is "Don't get membership/reward cards" ), which gave me ideas of what I can skip next year, what I didn't really like and how I can talk myself out of buying them.

I do have something to confess-- On Saturday, I found something ~$50 I kind of wanted (a jacket) , thought about it and decided to place an order-- Then, after 3mins, that feeling of "oh crap I don't know if I made the right decision?!!!!" overwhelmed me, and I ended up canceling it. And, I ordered a pair of boots on sale online, and then it got canceled because when they went to warehouse, the item was oos. I was very upset about this because the price and size was a perfect match for me. So funny sometimes things just happen in a way.

But today I am suffering from that "I wish I could buy something nice" feeling after those two orders canceled... Let me see if I can workout and get rid of that feeling. 

I'm new to this thread (and new to this site actually), having joined just because of how helpful I found the support here. I'm on a no buy for all cosmetics (not skincare) because I recently moved to a new country where it's hard to get American and European brands at a reasonable price. I thought that would curb my appetite, but the cravings only got stronger! Fast forward to now, where I have asked my family to stuff their suitcases full if NARS crap and whatnot for their visits over here, and it's just shameful how my stash has ballooned DESPITE MOVING HERE WITH ALMOST NOTHING! So you guys are my inspiration and motivation :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> thanks for being willing to share and support throughout our self-learning processes. I really love what one member said about trying to address the underlying feelings of anxiety, stress, depression, etc. I'm going to try to stick to a long term no buy until March! Guess I'll check out the 100 day no buy thread too.

Something to make you all giggle a little. My husband yesterday gave me the highest compliment he can give as a man with no interest in makeup or learning about it. 

He goes "I saw [his] mom's makeup today and I have to say I am so glad you know how to put it on..." lolllll. I felt a little bad but at the same time, compliment! it tells me he actually notices, even though I thought he didn't.

Too busy to buy, too sick to wear!  Lol it has helped, though.  I want to not buy any more until I start WEARING what I have!  

We can do it, ladies!  Hopefully everyone doing the 100-day no buy got enough pretties for Christmas to keep them going!

Too busy to buy, too sick to wear!  Lol it has helped, though.  I want to not buy any more until I start WEARING what I have!  

We can do it, ladies!  Hopefully everyone doing the 100-day no buy got enough pretties for Christmas to keep them going!
This! Normally I'm too lazy in the morning & will skip makeup. But now that I've been sick for weeks, and haven't been able to use my makeup for fear of contamination, I want nothing more than to wear it lmaoo. 

The 100 day challenge is just around the corner.  I am doing my best to refrain from buying anything in the days leading up to the challenge.  Instead I want to focus on making the best use out of the 100 day challenge and making my stash smaller.

The 100 day challenge is just around the corner.  I am doing my best to refrain from buying anything in the days leading up to the challenge.  Instead I want to focus on making the best use out of the 100 day challenge and making my stash smaller.
If you have been saving some samples, use them! They always give me the "fresh and new" feeling you get from a new product so it may help you with refraining :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you have been saving some samples, use them! They always give me the "fresh and new" feeling you get from a new product so it may help you with refraining :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Its funny you mentioned that because I said in the 100 day challenge thread that my unofficial goal is to generate 100 empties in 100 days. Deluxe & full-size count as one item and 2 foils count as one item used.  I put a significant amount of beauty products (non-makeup items) from my stash in a plastic bin and now I'm eagerly just waiting for January 1 to get started.  

Edit:  I just started a thread with a new 'challenge' for 2015.  It seems like this is an idea that could pick up some momentum...

Last edited by a moderator:
 The 100 day challenge is almost here, if you haven't joined yet, please do! The more the merrier, even if you don't feel ready to take the plunge, support is always appreciated.

Back