(Discussion) The Ipsy website

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The "Looks" always confused me. I always felt that they should be the result of what someone put together themselves. The way it is now is like a really sloppy pinterest board.

YES!

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I think they also need to look into making a clearer distinction between site-created and user-created content. While Ipsy has tags, the fact that their own posts are part of the same posting feed as everyone else's makes it awkward to find them. I personally prefer to have the site communications and content to be front and center with, I guess, a portal that leads to the user-created stuff.
I would like that as well!

How I would love to see the site set up:

Main page - About IPSY and the month we are in.  Post the "Sneak peaks" and their own content with the month's bag and theme.

Then links to the other parts of the site would include:

1) Looks by "Ipsters"  I don't mind an inspiration board with the final product of what you did with your inspirations. (Like here are 3 looks I found (citing where you found it)...and THIS is what I did with it)

2) Contest page - again stressing the need for citation and final product being the person's own work

3) Glam Room - keep reviews the same

4) Product look up and an easier way to add products.  And hopefully seeing what people are liking (would help with marketing to watch the trends) So if they are seeing - Hey there is a buzz about Pacifica - they can work together and build up a bigger buying market by appealing to the masses. While still giving us new stuff that we might not know about. 

5) Perhaps a forum?

The site is jumbled and lagging.  I rarely check it out because of that.  I don't use Facebook, so it would be nice to have a place to go that I can still see stuff.

Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

4) Product look up and an easier way to add products.  And hopefully seeing what people are liking (would help with marketing to watch the trends) So if they are seeing - Hey there is a buzz about Pacifica - they can work together and build up a bigger buying market by appealing to the masses. While still giving us new stuff that we might not know about.

In regards to the products, I would like to be able to sort the products by newest added to site to oldest rather than oldest to newest. I'd also like to see the actual categories. For example, I see that products are listed under fragrance but you can't easily go to the fragrance category. It should be easier to view and find products.

miss trix brought up a great point about having a way to add your own products and items.  polyvore allows for that, so I am not sure why ipsy doesn't work with polyvore and come up with a way so that folks can create their "look" that way.

I don't like taking pictures of myself, but I do like putting collections together in some type of theme.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In regards to the products, I would like to be able to sort the products by newest added to site to oldest rather than oldest to newest. I'd also like to see the actual categories. For example, I see that products are listed under fragrance but you can't easily go to the fragrance category. It should be easier to view and find products.

I know what you are saying about getting in through the back door.  I tried finding "keywords"  and those key words still don't give me what I want: ie, Red Lip stick...I'll get the most random stuff thrown in there.  Or shady looking product additions. 

ETA: I would like if it were set up like how Ulta or Sephora's website is when it comes to products.  By Brand or What you are looking for. 

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just don't like the Ipsy site in general. To me, a "Look" should be a picture of a specific look, and then each of the items one would use to achieve it. Instead, I feel like it's just a jumble of random pics and videos that people post to get comments. It irritates me and I dislike it.

I agree. When I first starting on Ipsy (OMG, my first beauty sub exactly ONE year ago last November! EEEeee, happy anniversary to me! LOL) I created looks to enter the contests and I began with pictures of myself as the main picture along with youtube videos that related to it and were similar since I wasn't a vlogger. The more I competed the more I tried to emulate what the winners were doing because it worked, which was to find a fabulous picture online of some random model and add famous youtube beauty videos from popular vloggers. I then realized how fake that just seems, and I completely stopped doing it because I knew it just wasn't right. It also drove me absolutely CRAZY that the same people would win over and over just because they have so many followers that "love" their looks and they spam all over the website asking for votes. I did that a couple of times, but I hated doing and felt bad, so I stopped. I would like to see other people win though, I don't even want to compete anymore, but I think in all fairness the same person shouldn't win the prizes (especially the big prize from all the brands) every month.

Ok, I'm done ranting now lol
icon_redface.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just don't like the Ipsy site in general. To me, a "Look" should be a picture of a specific look, and then each of the items one would use to achieve it. Instead, I feel like it's just a jumble of random pics and videos that people post to get comments. It irritates me and I dislike it.

I agree. When I first starting on Ipsy (OMG, my first beauty sub exactly ONE year ago last November! EEEeee, happy anniversary to me! LOL) I created looks to enter the contests and I began with pictures of myself as the main picture along with youtube videos that related to it and were similar since I wasn't a vlogger. The more I competed the more I tried to emulate what the winners were doing because it worked, which was to find a fabulous picture online of some random model and add famous youtube beauty videos from popular vloggers. I then realized how fake that just seems, and I completely stopped doing it because I knew it just wasn't right. It also drove me absolutely CRAZY that the same people would win over and over just because they have so many followers that "love" their looks and they spam all over the website asking for votes. I did that a couple of times, but I hated doing and felt bad, so I stopped. I would like to see other people win though, I don't even want to compete anymore, but I think in all fairness the same person shouldn't win the prizes (especially the big prize from all the brands) every month.

icon_redface.gif

Same Ipsy Anniversary!  Go us!!!  
beer.gif
  (That bag started me down a long slippery slope of beauty subs, as well as my obsession with They're Real mascara!)

I tried doing looks and such at first, and quickly abandoned the process.  I never really noticed that the same people were winning all the time!  That really does make me cranky, because if the website was easy to navigate, we'd all have a better chance of winning those challenges (and seriously, some of those prizes are FAB! I want one!!!)  

I also wish the site would log me out after awhile like Birchbox's does, because I forget to log out and just hit the "x" to close the window.  Right now, I can open a tab a few days later to check something on Ipsy, and (5 minutes later once the page loads), I'm still logged in! Yikes!  Not a prob when I'm using my computer, but if I use a friend's or public computer, that's a safety issue!  They have a lot of my info!

I agree. When I first starting on Ipsy (OMG, my first beauty sub exactly ONE year ago last November! EEEeee, happy anniversary to me! LOL) I created looks to enter the contests and I began with pictures of myself as the main picture along with youtube videos that related to it and were similar since I wasn't a vlogger. The more I competed the more I tried to emulate what the winners were doing because it worked, which was to find a fabulous picture online of some random model and add famous youtube beauty videos from popular vloggers. I then realized how fake that just seems, and I completely stopped doing it because I knew it just wasn't right. It also drove me absolutely CRAZY that the same people would win over and over just because they have so many followers that "love" their looks and they spam all over the website asking for votes. I did that a couple of times, but I hated doing and felt bad, so I stopped. I would like to see other people win though, I don't even want to compete anymore, but I think in all fairness the same person shouldn't win the prizes (especially the big prize from all the brands) every month. Ok, I'm done ranting now lol :icon_redf
The same people winning drives me nuts. There's one person I think has won almost every month since at least January. With the amount of subscribers Ipsy has, one person should not be winning every single month. The prizes are really good and it would be nice to see people post some original content for the contests. I would love to see different people win every month, I think it makes the contests more fun.

Ugh!!! That site needs a major overhaul!! There's just too much going on everywhere on it. I only check My Glam Room. I don't use it for anything else.

Ugh!!! That site needs a major overhaul!! There's just too much going on everywhere on it. I only check My Glam Room. I don't use it for anything else.
Same here!! The site is so jumbled.

Quote: Originally Posted by Meshybelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too.   Too much junk.

Although, it does load fine for me.  I use Chrome.

The website was honestly one of the reasons I felt justified in unsubbing.  Obviously, it wasn't my main reason for quitting, because if I was really happy with ipsy I would have just sucked it up.  It was a factor, though.  When I had issues one month, the website was so irritating to navigate, and would take so long to load, that it took me forever to just get to the page that had the email address I needed.

I have a lot to say about the site and it is not positive! 
albert.gif

I would like to add the complete lack of intuitiveness of the site. I used to DESIGN websites, yes, FOR MONEY. Of course that was in the 90s and design was not as technical as it is now... but I could write HTML in my sleep hahhaaaah So even though I can't write javascript very well, I am a web savvy user !!! I cannot imagine what newbs think of the site. 

Keeping this in mind, it took me quite a while to figure out WHAT THE HELL IS A GLAM ROOM AND WHY DO I HAVE THIS? WHAT IS A LOOK AND HOW DO ALL THESE PEOPLE MAKE VIDEOS ONLINE? I was not a subscriber when I first began to use the site. I was considering subbing as I already had a julep sub, and I wanted to learn more about subscription services. If you have ever gotten a bag "My Glam Room: is a crazy concept.

Why not just have links to: THE CURRENT BAG, YOUR BAG HISTORY, THE OVERALL COMPANY'S BAG HISTORY, THE COMPANY'S HISTORY, WHAT IS A SUB SERVICE? PRODUCT AND COMPANY PAGES, WHO IS MICHELLE PHAN? BIO OF EACH PRIMARY STYLIST 

THIS BASIC INFO SHOULD ALL BE LINKED ON THE FRONT PAGE. 

None of the site makes a damn bit of sense. Using lingo that is only pertinent to your own site is not just silly, it's amateur. 

I have done so much explaining on the site to other users. I'm glad I got that Urban Decay eye shadow because for a while there I felt like I was a member of customer service working for free. Honestly! I used to go to the site to talk to other members. No one is communicating. Everyone is using the posts to ask basic questions or to complain to the company, as if they are listening and answering. Each post is like one big long customer service issue. 

Everyone on each thread was asking all the questions I was wondering, yet WITH NO STAFF ANSWERING.

"when do we get our glam bags?" 

"What's in this glam bag?" 

"What date do they ship?" 

"When am I billed?"

"How do I know if I'm getting this bag?"

"How do I know what I'm getting in this bag?" 

"Am I getting this (product) in my bag?"

When I first started visiting there was no wait list now the big questions are also:    "How long were you on the wait list?" "When will I be off the wait list?" "I am off the wait list. Am I getting this bag?"
Once I figured it out I felt sorry for those ppl who were questioning, so I manned the threads awhile each day. Ipsy does not have adequate customer service and their site is the least helpful site I have visited for a retail product/service. 

Not everyone knows who the heck Michelle Phan is, or even what a subscription service is. There is no "community" on the ipsy site. It is simply a huge clusterf*ck of ppl asking questions that are not so easy to figure out or find answers to. I don't know about you guys, but my first trip to a site is no fun if I have to hunt down the FAQs and read them simply to know what I'm looking at, what is being sold, etc. That is a rarity on professional websites. It is inexcusable when you have a dedicated full-time web staff. 

Should say IF YOU HAVE NEVER gotten a bag then the idea of "My Glam Room" is a crazy concept. 

Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon_redface.gif

I agree completely that there should be a special section only for user created content. It is not fair that you would have to compete with someone who searches for content when you have your own blog and photos and ideas. Obviously it takes a special talent and time to do all that.

Likewise, it is not fair to only allow professional bloggers to be able to enter contests. I like the idea of people sharing other's content. But that should be in a different category and to only compete with non-professionals. They are simply not comparable posts.

Why should someone like you who is so talented have to create different content to try to win? Ipsy is missing out on this by not showcasing bloggers who have talent. That would be a big draw for me to go to the site. We all know about Kandee Johnson and love her. I want to find others to follow. New people who have different ideas. Show me what you (various people) did with your ipsy products! I promise I will go to the site and look. 

Something that bugs the beejessus out of me is that we cannot upload a simple link to a page when creating a look. Sometimes the best content is NOT A VIDEO, but a blogger's page, a page about how to use a product, etc. Why they don't allow for links other than YouTube i just don't get. Also, You tube is not the singular site to find videos. There is Vimeo and many other sites. Many sites have embedded videos. 

Those are a few ideas. Oh, and Canadians can't enter a contest because ipsy is too cheap to pay for the mailing?? Not really sure why Canadians cannot enter, yet they sell bags to CA citizens. It is not fair. 

Quote: Originally Posted by mindcaviar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I agree completely that there should be a special section only for user created content. It is not fair that you would have to compete with someone who searches for content when you have your own blog and photos and ideas. Obviously it takes a special talent and time to do all that.

Likewise, it is not fair to only allow professional bloggers to be able to enter contests. I like the idea of people sharing other's content. But that should be in a different category and to only compete with non-professionals. They are simply not comparable posts.

Why should someone like you who is so talented have to create different content to try to win? Ipsy is missing out on this by not showcasing bloggers who have talent. That would be a big draw for me to go to the site. We all know about Kandee Johnson and love her. I want to find others to follow. New people who have different ideas. Show me what you (various people) did with your ipsy products! I promise I will go to the site and look. 

Something that bugs the beejessus out of me is that we cannot upload a simple link to a page when creating a look. Sometimes the best content is NOT A VIDEO, but a blogger's page, a page about how to use a product, etc. Why they don't allow for links other than YouTube i just don't get. Also, You tube is not the singular site to find videos. There is Vimeo and many other sites. Many sites have embedded videos. 

Those are a few ideas. Oh, and Canadians can't enter a contest because ipsy is too cheap to pay for the mailing?? Not really sure why Canadians cannot enter, yet they sell bags to CA citizens. It is not fair. 

It's probably because sweepstakes laws in Canada are ridiculous and complicated (specifically in Quebec).

http://contests.about.com/od/sweepstakes101/f/caskillquestion.htm

http://contests.about.com/od/sweepstakes101/f/VoidinQuebec.htm

I agree that the ipsy website is a joke, and why to complicated to use. The basic info that new subscribers want just isn't available. I'm sure that turns away a ton of people right there. I only use the site to see and review products in my glam room. And I wish I could do those simple things from my phone! Anything else is just a waste of time to try to figure out.

Quote: Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's probably because sweepstakes laws in Canada are ridiculous and complicated (specifically in Quebec).

http://contests.about.com/od/sweepstakes101/f/caskillquestion.htm

http://contests.about.com/od/sweepstakes101/f/VoidinQuebec.htm
Awww! I'm sorry to hear that. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Is it still considered a sweeps if you are awarded for your skill? If you win a look challenge or a photo challenge?

Back