(Discussion) The Ipsy website

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww! I'm sorry to hear that. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Is it still considered a sweeps if you are awarded for your skill? If you win a look challenge or a photo challenge?
I'm not sure if that would make it a sweepstakes or not, but I guess it's a contest, so maybe they fall under the same category. Many contests, even in Canada, exclude residents of Quebec because of their rules about sweepstakes. Why can't Ipsy just follow suit?

The thing I hate more than any other aspect of the ipsy site are the stupid spammers. I have this one girl that leaves a comment on my page EVERY MONTH telling me to check out her looks and make sure to thumbs them up. Grrrr! This same user has won challenges for 3 months in a row by posting unoriginal content and spamming the life out of it. I think that when judging the looks, ipsy should try and take into account if it is original content or they should have a way to flag the post for copyright problems.

Quote: Originally Posted by chrysti198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if that would make it a sweepstakes or not, but I guess it's a contest, so maybe they fall under the same category. Many contests, even in Canada, exclude residents of Quebec because of their rules about sweepstakes. Why can't Ipsy just follow suit?
I followed the links you posted and it seems to only apply to sweepstakes or "chance" type of contests. Maybe you couyld write to ipsy customer care and make the suggestion about excluding Quebec?

Quote: Originally Posted by mindcaviar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I followed the links you posted and it seems to only apply to sweepstakes or "chance" type of contests. Maybe you couyld write to ipsy customer care and make the suggestion about excluding Quebec?

I wonder, though, if they don't do the Quebec exclusion just for the sake of ease or if it's more involved for a US-based company. As in, are foreign companies required to make contests applicable to the whole country without excluding a province / territory? 

Also, Canadians, don't feel too bad. The great state of Rhode Island gets excluded from a lot of contests because their laws are pretty unique and stringent. Also US territories get left out a lot. I used to live on one and always felt like some sort of pariah for being excluded from all the cool contests. Take solace in the fact that you have Tim Hortons and Kinder Bars.

Quote: Originally Posted by MissTrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I think the website was designed by one of those people that used to make MySpace profiles. I'm surprised there are no glittering GIFs. XD
Seriously! It's a terrible design. As a surfer there's loads of crap you don't want to deal with and nothing that you do want to see.

I have to say you guys are right on the mark.  I am a new subscriber to Ipsy (I got on the waiting list in August and finally got my first bag last month).  I started out with a Goody Box subscription because I stumbled across an article about it then started searching for other types of subscriptions and now I am hooked.  I only currently get BirchBox and Ipsy (damn you budget!) but Ipsy has been hands down the most confusing website ever!  If it was not for coming accross MUT trying to find spoilers I would not know anything about how to navigate the site.  So thanks ladies!  You make my life much easier.  I did in the begining try to ask Ipsy a question about the site but got a very generic reply (that took forever to get by the way) so I have not tried again.  If they cleaned it up and made the contests fairer I would be more tempted to enter them.

I followed Ipsy's Facebook solely because it is so freaking difficult to navigate the site. I couldn't consistently find the contests, which apparently are being won by spamhos. :

An important question for me is: is Ipsy content viewable by those outside Ipsy? Will they be using my image without my permission at any point? I just don't trust them considering their history, their website, and their incredibly bizarre decisions. I'm going to be working soon, and would not appreciate any looks I may create for Ipsy ending up anywhere near professional contacts.

Quote: Originally Posted by kotoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An important question for me is: is Ipsy content viewable by those outside Ipsy? Will they be using my image without my permission at any point? I just don't trust them considering their history, their website, and their incredibly bizarre decisions. I'm going to be working soon, and would not appreciate any looks I may create for Ipsy ending up anywhere near professional contacts.

Yes and no. If you don't log in you get the main splash page which shows previous Ipsy bags however if you have a link to someone's profile you can view the site without being logged in.

Example, here's Ipsy's page: http://www.ipsy.com/ipsyOfficial and here is one of the looks from Ipsy: http://www.ipsy.com/look/l-hnwc9io9ey7jx1j/Gorgeously_Galactic

Here's my page on Ipsy: http://www.ipsy.com/zadidoll and one of the looks I've put together: http://www.ipsy.com/look/l-hnupzldommyj1a1p/

If you upload your image to Ipsy then you're giving them permission to use your image on their site or FB so if you want to revoke that then you'll need to delete the image.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes and no. If you don't log in you get the main splash page which shows previous Ipsy bags however if you have a link to someone's profile you can view the site without being logged in.

Example, here's Ipsy's page: http://www.ipsy.com/ipsyOfficial and here is one of the looks from Ipsy: http://www.ipsy.com/look/l-hnwc9io9ey7jx1j/Gorgeously_Galactic

Here's my page on Ipsy: http://www.ipsy.com/zadidoll and one of the looks I've put together: http://www.ipsy.com/look/l-hnupzldommyj1a1p/

If you upload your image to Ipsy then you're giving them permission to use your image on their site or FB so if you want to revoke that then you'll need to delete the image.
Thanks a bunch! Looks like I won't be entering any of their contests with my own face in that case. Too bad; it would've been fun.

I want to enter one of the challenges (probably em) and see if I can win with an original cover photo, rather than stealing from a professional MuA. I know it's highly unlikely that I will win but I want to try.

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just don't like the Ipsy site in general. To me, a "Look" should be a picture of a specific look, and then each of the items one would use to achieve it. Instead, I feel like it's just a jumble of random pics and videos that people post to get comments. It irritates me and I dislike it.

I agree. When I first starting on Ipsy (OMG, my first beauty sub exactly ONE year ago last November! EEEeee, happy anniversary to me! LOL) I created looks to enter the contests and I began with pictures of myself as the main picture along with youtube videos that related to it and were similar since I wasn't a vlogger. The more I competed the more I tried to emulate what the winners were doing because it worked, which was to find a fabulous picture online of some random model and add famous youtube beauty videos from popular vloggers. I then realized how fake that just seems, and I completely stopped doing it because I knew it just wasn't right. It also drove me absolutely CRAZY that the same people would win over and over just because they have so many followers that "love" their looks and they spam all over the website asking for votes. I did that a couple of times, but I hated doing and felt bad, so I stopped. I would like to see other people win though, I don't even want to compete anymore, but I think in all fairness the same person shouldn't win the prizes (especially the big prize from all the brands) every month.

Ok, I'm done ranting now lol
icon_redface.gif

Same Ipsy Anniversary!  Go us!!!  
beer.gif
  (That bag started me down a long slippery slope of beauty subs, as well as my obsession with They're Real mascara!)

I tried doing looks and such at first, and quickly abandoned the process.  I never really noticed that the same people were winning all the time!  That really does make me cranky, because if the website was easy to navigate, we'd all have a better chance of winning those challenges (and seriously, some of those prizes are FAB! I want one!!!)

I also wish the site would log me out after awhile like Birchbox's does, because I forget to log out and just hit the "x" to close the window.  Right now, I can open a tab a few days later to check something on Ipsy, and (5 minutes later once the page loads), I'm still logged in! Yikes!  Not a prob when I'm using my computer, but if I use a friend's or public computer, that's a safety issue!  They have a lot of my info!

Late to the party but November 2012  was when I started with subs Ipsy, BB and Julep.  I discovered MUT while doing research on Ipsy and BB and the rest is history.

Quote: Originally Posted by Meshybelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ugh!!! That site needs a major overhaul!! There's just too much going on everywhere on it. I only check My Glam Room. I don't use it for anything else.
Exactly, that site gives me a major headache its too disorganized.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder, though, if they don't do the Quebec exclusion just for the sake of ease or if it's more involved for a US-based company. As in, are foreign companies required to make contests applicable to the whole country without excluding a province / territory?

Also, Canadians, don't feel too bad. The great state of Rhode Island gets excluded from a lot of contests because their laws are pretty unique and stringent. Also US territories get left out a lot. I used to live on one and always felt like some sort of pariah for being excluded from all the cool contests. Take solace in the fact that you have Tim Hortons and Kinder Bars.
Oh, we do, we do.

Back