Do you get defensive about your age?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Ricci /img/forum/go_quote.gif Learn to love it!!!! People freak out when they find out I have a son thats almost 20 years old .. Its all flattery
smile.gif

WHAT?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??! Ricci i dont often get surprised.....but DAMN!!! You look AMAZING!

I find most people think I am a lot older than I am and I won't correct their assumption unless they actually ask how old I am. I find when people find out how old I am, they can change their view on me "Omg you're so young!" I have one co-worker who loves to bring up our age difference "When you were born I was graduating from high school!" and little comments like that, is it really necessary to do that? It's like they feel like they need to belittle you by reminding you of your age. Yes, I am young, but I also know that I am mature for my age, so it annoys me that I get judged on the number, rather than the person I am.

See!!

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif WHAT?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??! Ricci i dont often get surprised.....but DAMN!!! You look AMAZING! Aw hugs
lol.gif
thank u so much!

Although my age doesn't bother me, I admit I hate it when people get my age wrong! At 18, there is no way I want to look 13 and I haven't really aged since then - my height doesn't help. People automatically assume I'm the youngest around because I am so short and my sort of 'cover up' fashion style! Then they compare me to others my age which makes me feel so stupid...

I actually caught myself the other day judging someone by their age. I had never done that before and when she said she was a year younger than me, my attitude changed towards her. I was surprised. I don't act my age, so I should give others the benefit of the doubt...

Yup im defensive about my age.

i feel like im still 15. im 21. and i hate it.and i hate talking about it.

Originally Posted by Ricci /img/forum/go_quote.gif See!!Aw hugs
lol.gif
thank u so much! you had him really young. or thats a really good pic.

Originally Posted by Mixie87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yup im defensive about my age.i feel like im still 15. im 21. and i hate it.and i hate talking about it.

you had him really young. or thats a really good pic.

Lol I had him when I was 18 Im 38 and I look this way

So it seems you have many young people who resent being treated like they are incapable of doing anything and then oldsters who balk at the notion that a particular age forces you out to pasture.

Yup and dont forget the ones that dont give a damn
laughing.gif

Originally Posted by Darla /img/forum/go_quote.gif So it seems you have many young people who resent being treated like they are incapable of doing anything and then oldsters who balk at the notion that a particular age forces you out to pasture.

I don't think age is that big a deal to me. I would only get mad if someone was thinking I was older than I really was when I got to "sensitive" age lol.

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well I'm 45 and I feel like life has just begun. Amen. I am 45 as well. I agree with everyone about age. It is just a number,although being 40 isn't "old". I have had people tell me I am old.. I laugh..
lol.gif

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Honestly, though...I did freak out a few weeks ago when I realized I was getting so close to 30. I guess part of the reason for that is that I'm not at the point in my life where most people are when they're around this age (married with kids, etc). But for someone slightly older (who may feel younger than they are), being reminded of how old they are and how their time on earth may be limited, that's not really something that most people would choose to dwell on. I know I'll probably freak out again once I reach 40 knowing that (statistically speaking) my life is probably around half-way over barring any sort of tragedy. I don't know, maybe I'm just more morbid than other people. lol.

I'm like that too. But I'm 23... My uncle told me that the early/mid twenties was the hardest time to deal with because everyone around you is accomplishing a lot things and you compare your achievements to them. So true.Everyone around me has graduation college or having kids and moving on with life... I dwell on that when it comes to my age.

The only thing I get so defensive is when people assume I'm older than what I am. Big ouch!

It's really the way I carry myself when next to my friends and how I dress - but still, I'm reaching for those wrinkle prevention creams lol.

yeah i had the same reaction as gina when i saw ricci the first time i was like she is like 21 but nope i was wrong my jaw drop she looks beautiful. IT ALWAYS GOES LIKE THIS FOR ME. ARE THOSE YOUR KIDS? YEAH THOSE ARE MY KIDS... BUT YOU LOOK YOUNG, HOW OLD ARE YOU? WELL IM _ OMG!!!! YOU ARE JUST A BABY!!!! I HATE IT IM NOT A BABY YEAH I HAD BABIES PRETTY YOUNG BUT IM NOT A BABY. SO YEAH THAT IS WHY I DON'T LIKE TELLING PEOPLE HOW OLD IM.NOT BECAUSE OMG IM GETTING OLD !!!NO IS NOT THAT, IS JUST THAT I HATE WHEN PEOPLE THINK IM TO YOUNG AND I ALREADY HAVE TWO KIDS.

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif My uncle told me that the early/mid twenties was the hardest time to deal with because everyone around you is accomplishing a lot things and you compare your achievements to them. So true.Everyone around me has graduation college or having kids and moving on with life... I dwell on that when it comes to my age. Wow, smart uncle. That's very true, and I'm 21...I have one kid but I think that's an accomplishment. It was on my "to do list" but I didn't think it'd happend very early on. Right now, I look at everyone who has careers going on, their houses to come home to, and they know where they're going. I'm still a little lost.

I look a good deal younger than I am. I'm guaranteed to get ID'd everywhere I purchase alcohol but I don't eat out enough or in the right places to have the worry of being given the kids menu anymore. However, once a few years back, when out with my much younger cousin and her friend for a meal they, at the age of 13, got a regular menu and and I, at 20, was given a kids menu.

I still get asked if I want a half bus fare too.

The thing is that I thought it had begun to tail off and then I started to miss it. But of course it hadn't. And so now it bugs me. I guess I can't win. If people don't do it then I'm a bit peeved but it really bothers me when they do. :/

I have no problem with my age..you get older thats what happens

For me I really hate it when people treat me like I'm 10 instead of 24!! I'm a grown ass woman and people (mainly family) treat me like I can't make my own decisions or they act like my younger cousins are older than me! Nothing ticks me off more than that.

I totally agree on that one saying age is nothing but a number I just turned 36 and still feel like I am in my late 20's actually my husband is 28 and people are always coming up to me thinking that I am around 25 or 26 that makes me feel great so don't ever feel ashamed about your age and always have a positive mind when it come to yourself esteem...
glasses.gif

I do.....I was out with my 18 year old sister and someone asked me if she was my DAUGHTER....shes 18!!!! Do I look like I am old enough to have an 18 y/o?? That would have made me 7 when I had her :S

Back