Do you get offended by this?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif I wouldn't mind if someone said 'she is prettier with makeup' because in my case it would be a lie to say otherwise, and why would I bother to apply makeup if I looked better without it anyway?
But I think that 'she's only pretty with makeup' suggests that the person being spoken about is ugly underneath their makeup, and I do find that offensive.

yup, I totally agree! it's like you read it in my head (;

Oh yeah, I definitely find it offensive...of course I look better with makeup on-geez it's not like I'm flawless so why wouldn't I? But how the heck is some moron who's never seen me before going to assume that I'm some sort of monster once the makeup comes off? I've heard it before-a girl telling some guy, "bet she doesn't look like that when she's not all made up. I'm not even wearing ANY makeup today!" while giving me the evil eye...I just returned the evil glance
biggrin.gif

I would probably take offence, it's not a very nice thing to hear about yourself, regardless if it's said by a stranger or someone you love, obviously if it was said by a loved one, it would hurt more, but I think it would still hurt even if a stranger said it, it's a put down.

I'd be offended if a stranger said that about me, and really hurt if it's somebody close.

So either way, the end effect wouldn't be positive....

I would be offended on the basis that I think everyone is pretty. What right does anyone have to tell you what's pretty and what's not?

People may look better with make-up but that doesn't mean they're not pretty without it. To me, if someone says something like that to you it means they're assuming they're perfect and attractive.

And then they deserve a slap
tongue.gif

Like Lisa and Karen said, the statement is quite true when its concerning me. I think it is a put down if someone were to say it about any girl, not a nice thing to say.

If someone I cared about, loved, liked or was friends was me (which means they are loved, liked or cared about lol) then it would matter to me. Screw everyone else imo. And besides, if a random stranger is saying it how can they possibly know what you look like without makeup? 99% of they time they're just hating or jealous and by saying this they're trying to make themselves feel better in their own minds.

if someone said that about me i would be offended whether i knew the person or not

i often hear this about celebrities. people have vids on youtube calling them ugly and boy, the comments i see! noone deserves that, really! celebs are regular people like us.

It's true people expect celebrities to look flawless 24/7. I do get offended when someone makes remarks like that, they must think they're perfect to make such rude comments.

It's very rude. Also, it's just like Francesca said, they could be saying it only because they're jealous.

I would only care if it came from my family. If I didn't know the person who said it I might be a little bit hurt, but oh well. I don't wear a lot of makeup to begin with, and there's plenty of girls who literally cake it on at my school, so meh.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif If someone I cared about, loved, liked or was friends was me (which means they are loved, liked or cared about lol) then it would matter to me. Screw everyone else imo. And besides, if a random stranger is saying it how can they possibly know what you look like without makeup? 99% of they time they're just hating or jealous and by saying this they're trying to make themselves feel better in their own minds. I totally agree

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif I wouldn't mind if someone said 'she is prettier with makeup' because in my case it would be a lie to say otherwise, and why would I bother to apply makeup if I looked better without it anyway?
But I think that 'she's only pretty with makeup' suggests that the person being spoken about is ugly underneath their makeup, and I do find that offensive.

same here ! especially if it was someone i expect to know better, a family member or a friend.

I might be slightly hurt, but considering that's almost how I feel about myself, I really don't know how I'd truly feel.

I wouldn't. Doesn't bother me what other people think. Well not anymore. I like how I look both ways. In the end, thats all that matters
smile.gif

Is that not true!

Everybody is prettier with makeup, if you know how to do it! Have you seen celebs they are hit without it!

I think I'd be more offended if someone said I was ''ugly without makeup'' rather than ''pretty with makeup''.

Back