Do you have a video tutorial pet peeve ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When they don't have the right products on the hand and they go rifling through their make up bag/ looking all over the desk for the right product. If you are planning on doing a tutorial, have everything ready!

Or when they look away at a mirror, you can't see, and because they've turned their head, you can't actually see what they are doing.

Heres a few of mine:

-When there is music playing in the background and I cant hear them

-When they have bad speakers that get staticy if they talk too loud

-Horrible lighting

-When their faces move off screen when they lean over to do something

-When people do things that look painful or are just plain bad for you like pulling really hard on the eyelids eeeeeee!

I HATE it when the tuts are REALLY dark, or really far away so that you can't even see what their doing. I guess that's why I like pic tuts better, because they're usually closer up

The people that are like, "Um..........................................s o today.........................I'm going to show you........how? To do aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........SMOKY EYE!"

OMG it takes like five years to introduce the whole thing. JUST SAY IT!

And the girls that say things like, "okay, girls" to sound more posh than they really are.

Originally Posted by laurreenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif yea i absolutely do. i always watch makeup tutorials and makeup reviews on youtube, and there's this one user who i'm subscribed to named pinkiecharm who has really annoying mannerisms. she drives me crazy but i don't unsubscribe and i have no idea why. Hearing about people's issues! I feel you! God I suscribed just to share my annoyment :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I HATE her lil angry messages at the beggining of the videos "if you dont like it, don't watch it" like if she's accusing you of something... And defending her self "These are my own thoughs and opinions", "don't ask for the price i'm not google". And from what I saw she complains a lot about the mean comments she is getting... boohooo. Ok, don't get me wrong, I don't post this kind of things and yeah I know it's immature but I don't even want to hear about it! Just delete the comments and block the users! But can I just watch the tutorial without being grounded at like a kid... like if I had something to do with it lol! She shouldn't even care, she's old enough to go through it I guess. And yeah! Her voice and laugh is SO annoying... I only watched 2 videos, it's the most I can do.. even if i hear people saying good thing about her in all other videos. And she is bragging that she made the first haul video... uh ok...

I have to agree about the rude comments. It's like don't watch if your going to be rude.

My pet peeve is when they talk too much!

I don't like it when they say "im not gonna do my liquid liner brb" then switch the camera off, comes back and its all done. I want to see the liquid liner being done to see technique and things!

I don't like:

- Transitions that take too long that could be edited out (watched a girl doing lip swatches on her lips, which is fine, but she was wiping her mouth between, which took a while, especially when she got the cotton stuck in her mouth and was sitting in front of the camera pulling pieces of cotton off her lips and tongue trying to spit it all out for 30 seconds, going "blech! ick, gross!". I'm personally fine with "ok next color!" and suddenly coming back to clean lips.)

- People who can't find the product they're looking for and spend some time ruffling through their stuff (or even saying "oh well I can't find it, I'll show you in a later video!")

- Blurry cameras. I want to see how it looks, and how light reflects off it. If the entire vid is blurry, it really doesn't help much because the colors are obscured anyway.

- background noise (other people, tv, fans, microphone that's too far away, etc)

I like:

- When people include a still image really clear picture of their swatches/final looks/before and after looks (or even in between looks)

- I actually prefer the over-information over the under-information. You never know when somebody will give you a new tip. (As long as it's relevant to the make up!)

As far as the half face thing -- Usually I've seen stuff where they're half done in the beginning and finish their face for the tut, so you can see the before and after right up front, and see the final look as it develops.

Originally Posted by Bec688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif When they don't have the right products on the hand and they go rifling through their make up bag/ looking all over the desk for the right product. If you are planning on doing a tutorial, have everything ready!
Or when they look away at a mirror, you can't see, and because they've turned their head, you can't actually see what they are doing.

ITA that annoys me too. Another thing that annoys the crap out of me is when the person does some of their makeup and then stops to talk about something non-makeup related. So they're putting their first eyeshadow colour on and then they stop what they're doing and go "So, I forgot to tell you what's happening with me...things have been crazy lately..." and then start telling you about what's going on in their personal life and stuff. I appreciate that it's their video and they can say what they like but it really does annoy me that they stop in the middle of the tutorial to talk about non-makeup related things. Can't they talk about it at the end or in another video rather than stopping in the middle? ughh lol

Nasty comments annoy me to. If you don't like a video then don't keep watching and commenting, just leave the video.

The only thing that bugs me is when there is useless chatter at the beginning for several minutes before the tut starts and then they don't talk during. They could have done all the chatter while applying their foundation etc.
wink.gif

Hmm,

I will see some video icons with a clear screenshot of looks that I would like to recreate, but when I click on it, the video is blurry. If your camera is awful, don't bother.

I dislike when viewers rave about a makeup artist's technique even if it is not good at all. Enkoremakeup is sooo overated. Yeah, he may have good tips, but I think his makeup application isn't that great. I think that the viewers feel obliged to say he is good because they are fans of his makeup tips.

Originally Posted by leenybeeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif The only thing that bugs me is when there is useless chatter at the beginning for several minutes before the tut starts and then they don't talk during. They could have done all the chatter while applying their foundation etc.
wink.gif
I agree, I often have to skip 4-5 min at the beggining of the videos thinking "goood I don't care".

Originally Posted by hopeless novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hmm,
I will see some video icons with a clear screenshot of looks that I would like to recreate, but when I click on it, the video is blurry. If your camera is awful, don't bother.

I dislike when viewers rave about a makeup artist's technique even if it is not good at all. Enkoremakeup is sooo overated. Yeah, he may have good tips, but I think his makeup application isn't that great. I think that the viewers feel obliged to say he is good because they are fans of his makeup tips.

I agree. Haha.
I just stopped watching and subscribing to a lot of youtube stuff. It really bores me now. And those folks who get butt hurt and annoyed if someone doesn't post a video, god... really?

Sensless chatter...

"Hi, I'm going to talk about my day, and my cat, and the sale at the grocery store, and my loser ex boyfriend, and how long the line at the post office was today, and how I got a paper cut while flipping through the phone book, etc while including the words 'like' and 'um' at least fifteen times in each sentence. I'm also going to roll my eyes a lot, not look at the camera, and then sigh really loudly. After fifteen minutes of this, I'll do a three minute tutorial which I won't be able to finish because 'I don't have enough time.'"

You're not on Oprah. Just get to the makeup already! Jeez...

My pet peeve as well!!!! Or when they just refuse to edit... blechhh

Originally Posted by Faith-Abigail /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sensless chatter...
"Hi, I'm going to talk about my day, and my cat, and the sale at the grocery store, and my loser ex boyfriend, and how long the line at the post office was today, and how I got a paper cut while flipping through the phone book, etc while including the words 'like' and 'um' at least fifteen times in each sentence. I'm also going to roll my eyes a lot, not look at the camera, and then sigh really loudly. After fifteen minutes of this, I'll do a three minute tutorial which I won't be able to finish because 'I don't have enough time.'"

You're not on Oprah. Just get to the makeup already! Jeez...

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif My pet peeve as well!!!! Or when they just refuse to edit... blechhh Most of the time I just watch them on mute and fast foward to the makeup application.

The mean comments really get to me too, I almost can't even look at them cause I feel so bad for the person. I don't know if I could post a vid tutorial, I'd be too self concious.

I agree with what a lot of you are saying, especially the loud music in the background so you cannot hear them, and also the horrible comments. I have experienced the nasty comments and it did my head in. I stopped making videos for a while, but then I just thought to myself 'why should I care? I get more good feedback that bad..'

There is no need to be nasty though.

My motto is ; If you don't have anything nice to day, then shut up!

it drives me nuts when there is a disaster area in the background....either clean up or put up a sheet!!

Back