Do you have friends IRL and other friend-related questions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have real life friends. I´ve known my best friend Astrid since Kindergarten, she still lives close to my hometown so I see her whenever I go visit my parents. Then there´s my friends from junior high/high school and friends from med school.

Over here people don´t really move that much, and if they do they´re still not that far away from you cause Austria is a small country
laughing.gif

So I guess it´s easier to stay in touch.

And all of my friends are drama-free, real people. I can count on them and none of them would ever be backstabbing. I don´t even know any dramaqueens in real life, don´t shoot me but I actually think that´s a real US thing.

I have some online friends, but since I´ve known my real life friends for years and we´ve been through a lot together, I know their parents and their siblings, they know mine and stuff. The online friends can never measure up to that. That does make me sad sometimes, but I need to connect with someone in real life to really connect, you know? I´d love to actually meet them one day though!

I have both. I have a fairly decent sized group of real life friends, and then I have a few really close friends who know me through and through, they're pretty much part of my family.

I also have some very good internet friends as well, who I would consider them as good a friend as friend as some of my real life friends. I have met a couple, so I guess they're considered "real life" friends now. I have a few I would like to meet, and there are some I would be happy to just stay online friends.

I have no long term friends RL friends any longer apart from family.

I am a member of an Australian internet based Transgender group called "Trannyradio" There is a forum, similar to MUT but not as many members and there is a live chat room which is busy most evenings. This site is for friendships and support for people like me and is only open to Australian and NZ residents. All my RL friends now come from this web site and I see them every few weeks only in girl mode. A couple have seen me in boy mode. None of them are really close friends as there is usually some secrecy about their other life's, but there are a few I could call on if I were ever to get in a spot of bother or I need some advise. Which is nice to know.

I have about 6 really close friends irl. I can't say I really have any internet friends..minus about 2 who I talk to a lot on msn. I prefer having friends in real life because I love going out to the cinema and for meals and to bars etc..most of the friends I have I've known for about 7 years so I would be very unhappy if I lost them!
frown.gif

I have a small group of close friends in real life and then a wider group of other friends who are my mates but I'm not particularly close to.

I have a couple of cyper 'friends' too but most of the people I talk to online I just chat with and I've never met up with anyone I've met on the internet.

Do you have friends IRL? If not, what's the reason?

I do, but they are scattered across Canada. We're all from the same area in the same province but had to move away to find work. So I don't see my BFFs very often and they are kind of like "online friends" as well.
frown.gif

Do you feel that your online friends are "real friends" or do you consider them "just cyberfriends"? My online friends are as real as any other. "irl", though I use it all the time, is a weird term because I consider my online friends to be "in real life" friends as well. My online "acquaintances" are the same as my irl acquaintances.
smile.gif

Are you closer to your online friends than your real life friends (if you have them)? Maybe because all of my "real life" friends are as scattered as my online friends I am about equally as close to both. I sometimes prefer my online friends though, and wish they lived closer so I could actually meet them
smile.gif

Yes... I have both also.... and my online friends are as much friends as my real friends are... imho... I just don't see then and they don't live close.......

I have many real life friends, but my friendships are segmented. I have work friends, surfing friends and neighborhood friends. I have old friends from home when I was growing up. I have a few friends who know about my crossdressing. These diverse groups really never meet except for special occasions, like the party we had after my eldest son got married.

Do you feel that your online friends are "real friends" or do you consider them "just cyberfriends"? No, the people here are my friends also. They are real people, just like my RL friends.

Are you closer to your online friends than your real life friends (if you have them)? No, I haven't known them as long, although I have developed excellent relationships with a number of them.

I have a couple of real life friends, plus my son.

I do a lot of research on the computer - I have developed friendships (or at least working relationships) with some folks interested in the same stuff I am.

And I like to socialize at MUT - I have developed a few good friendships here - plus I have grown to care about quite a few MUTers as well.

I met my husband in Tahoe for a new year's eve party of "30 of our closest friends", hahaha

I am a very social person. I went on vacation when I was in highschool, and went to the local mall to "shop" for friends, in which by the end of the day, I made plans to hang out with some sales associates and had a hilariously brilliant time for the rest of the week.

It's a bit different now, since I have a family, but still, I have some really great friends throughout my life, my bridesmaids are from every area of my life- from 4th grade to post college.

I think I definitely have a stronger bond with my real life friends, because they know me, well, in real life.

My only online buddies are actually here on MUT. Because I love this site- the only thing that has ever really sucked me in completely... next to online shopping.

Originally Posted by SimplyElegant /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just have to say that it goes both ways. Sometimes you have to make yourself available and start the first conversation or make the first effort.
smile.gif
It can be hard though. I mean, there are people that I talk to everyday at school, but none of them seem actually interested in what I have going on, even if I listen to their problems and give them advice. There was a girl that I thought I was close to who said "hey, we're going to the corn maze this weekend, wanna come?" and I said "sure, what day and what time?" and she said "I'm not sure yet. I'll call you" and never called. On monday she said "where were you? You never showed up?" and I said "Well you forgot to call me, I guess" That's how it always goes with my "friends"

I don't have any friends in real life. Why? You certainly find out who your true friends are after you go through trauma. They were not there for me even though I helped them through many of their personal problems over several years. Plus I found out how fake they are etc afterwards. So who needs friends like that.

I have a difficult time trusting people especially in the past two years so I don't go out of my way. I'm nice and friendly to people but also wary.

I have met some wonderful people online, including mut, and tend to regard these people as good friends. Someday I hope to meet them personally.

Originally Posted by AprilRayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey Ape, I was wondering if you could paypal me a couple bucks! I'm a little short! Cool?? LOL WHAT ABOUT ME?! WHAT ABOUT ANNA?! I KNOCKED YOU UP THE LEAST YOU COULD DO IS SUPPORT MY HABBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I have IRL friends. Having gone to private school from pre-k to my senior year I have pretty much been around the same people. My BFF is a guy who I met on the first day of first grade and we both decided to become BFF. It totally worked out cause to this day we are THE BFF. We've never even had a fight or anything. Just awesome!

Do you feel that your online friends are "real friends" or do you consider them "just cyberfriends"?

I have WAY more "online" friends than IRL ones. I have been part of an IRC channel for YEARS now....almost 9! Zoiks! (and YES people still use IRC!)

Are you closer to your online friends than your real life friends (if you have them)?

I can talk about anything with either group of friends. I am an extremely open minded person that loves making new friends. I would also say that a lot of the people whom I considered friends IRL sadly turned out to be nothing more than the "people I party with." Bar friends, etc.

Coming form a really small town i do have a lot of freinds... but only 3 really close girl friends. As i get older i grow more tired of one inparticular.... her ways are childish. She is one who doesn't take constructive criticism well so why even try.......to top it off she is my neighbor.....

I really haven't made a "good" online friend yet. I feel more like acquaintances right now, but i think i would be more open to yall than them for some reason.....

I had a few close friends back home who I miss dearly. I mean when you're 2000 miles away from your closest friends, it kinda rocks your world. I have a few friends here, but no one that I just randomly call for no reason.

I've made a couple of really good friendships here, and one on myspace. I consider them all to be my "irl" friends. Because honestly, I'm just as likely to see any one of them as I am my IRL friends.

Yes....I have a few very close firends most live in different states so that makes it hard. I also have been lucky enough to meet some great new friends after moving to Arkansas...once I weeded through the dumb ones that are older than I am and act like high schoolers...

Do you feel that your online friends are "real friends" or do you consider them "just cyberfriends"? I like my online friends....they are a real friend b/c I cna talk make up with them and obsess about a new mac collection and they wont think I am a nutcase

Are you closer to your online friends than your real life friends (if you have them)? Im closer to my friends in real life just b/c we have been friends for years...My high school best friend and my college roomate are prolly my closest friends but jsut b/c they KNOW everything and stil love me
wink.gif

i have a few IRL friends, some from high school and some from uni.

i have also a few online friends that became IRL as most of us were living in the parisian area, so it's easy to see each other considering we just have to jump in the metro or a bus.

i consdier the peopel from mut as friends i just haven't seen IRL.

I do but not a lot of them. As I have gotten older, I have realized that it is the quality not the quantity that matters. There are 6 people that I consider friends and these are people that although I don't see very often, I can trust them with just about anything and when I do see them, it's like I never left. At my current job, I have a few friends who I can rant and vent about work but I still haven't felt comfortable in letting them in.

Do you feel that your online friends are "real friends" or do you consider them "just cyberfriends"?

I consider them real friends. I mean, they aren't robots. Or are they? I have met a lot of great ladies on this site and even after being here for more than 3 years, I continue to talk to them and know what is going on in their life.

Are you closer to your online friends than your real life friends (if you have them)? Probably closer to online friends since I do talk to them more often especially due to blogs, MUT and IMs.

-Yes, I do have friends IRL... although some of them are family or partners of family members. I mean, before I started dating my boyfriend he was one of my brother's best friends. Then of course my brother is one of my best friends and his boyfriend was a good friend of mine, too, before they started going out. My aunt, who is just like 4 years older then me is one of my closest friends, too and well, yeah - my family's pretty f***** up, but we love each other...

Of course I still have friends from college but well... Manhattan's big, and we don't see each other often.

-I definitely consider my online friends "real friends". Well, maybe not everyone but there are some of my online friends that I don't wanna miss again...

Are you closer to your online friends than your real life friends (if you have them)?

-Depends... my brother and his b/f live in Pittsburgh and so does my aunt. Like I said - you don't really run into lots of people you know in Manhattan and plus I'm a compelete worcaholic and don't have lots of time to meet my friends. So, I definitely talk more often to my online friends than to my RL friends.

Back