Do you think music is dying?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think music is not dying at all.  There are still some amazing artists out there who are really making some creative music.  I do agree with some of you about the radio... music on it just gets played out too quickly.  Only reason I listen to it is because my ipod cord for my car to listen to music broke.  Overall, music is still amazing.

I am not sure, I really like some of the new bands and because you don't have to have an expensive studio there can be a lot of originality around. I do think that there is a lack of concept albums because with downloads people just download individual tracks.

I totally agree about TV though, there is only so many rooms that can be decorated or cooking and those reality shows are tedious beyond belief. 

I was born in the late 80's.... and I have a preference for music from to 60's up through the early 90's. I'm kind of sick of pop... it's the same ol' thing. This artist said this, wore this, did this... I don't care!! When I listen to music, I want to FEEL something or bring back happy memories. I will always love broadway musicals!!!

I have personally gotten to a point that I don't listen to the radio anymore because I just don't like any of the radio stuff. I listen to my cd's or ipod. But then again I only listen to hard rock/ heavy metal music and they don't play that too much on the radio here. So I think music has changed, but I don't think its dead, you just have to look harder for it... meaning not looking to radio for good music.

If you think music is dying, your just looking in the wrong places!

My local scene is vibrant and filled with talented musicians and in the UK there were 100's of festivals this summer and there are a minimum of 5 or 10 gigs on a friday and saturday nite in my tiny city and they are all different types of music.

Unfortunatly, there seems to be a group of people willing to buy the dross that is marketed though pop idol/xfactor (usually those who follow the cult of celebrity) and so that is pushed and marketed heavily and brilliant artists who arnt happy to bow down to PR companies and want to be individual just dont have the money to market themselves.

There are 1000's and 1000's of hard working artists who tour and gig their arses off and skint themselves to record music that now often they release for free on the internet, go support them and help get real musicians back in the charts and on our tv's and radios!

Try checking out places like http://bandcamp.com/ where plenty of new and often free music is available!

Also, try sites like Last.fm where you can get recomendations for new music based on what you usually listen too (ok, its not alway new, but it may be new to you!)

RNR will never die! 
Music isnt just some random radio that looks empty, its more global ! 
Everyone are into music listening. And also classic is still around! 

I don't think it's dying I just think the Mainstream top 40's music is getting worse! I listen to electronica which is only getting better!

In my opinion American music died a long time ago. It's like people don't even try anymore.

Well no. Music is evolving and changing. But I miss the old songs and music, Kinda lets me remember the past and enjoy it for some time while reminiscing the past.

Nope, i dont think its Dying. There are lots of underrated talented artists. Its just it is changing.

I feel like music has been on a rocky path for some time now and I feel bad for the kids that are growing up now with this type of music...now music is all about video hoes,money,p****y and revealing body parts...I am not saying that music wasn't like this before, but now it is so messy and most songs just repeat the chorus over and over again....I find music boring that is why I listen to all the golden oldies, but the funniest thing is I am only 19 years old and I loved the eary 00's music.....maybe I am just strange :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The thing that is so heartbreaking is that music is not a primary cultural force the way it was when I was comin' up. Back then, if a song was a hit, EVERYONE knew it, you could not ESCAPE IT. Now, it's possible (via the nichification of media) for a song to be a gigantic hit in general and yet completely avoidable. And kids don't consider music a priority, entertainment-wise. It's completely disposable.

Yes, these are generalizations. But it's pretty humbling when you are telling a musician you highly admire that you loved their latest album and they say, "Thank you for the Soundscan of one".

*sigh*

I'm old. I've come to bore you with history! These are things I've noticed since the 70s when I started paying attention to things like this (I was born in '63) Back then business was about longevity. You wanted to turn out quality products that would have customers coming back for decades. You dumped your earnings back into your business, either having it grow outwardly, as in opening new stores, or making your product available to more stores, etc or your growth might be in creating different or better products. A sign of changes that were happening in the 80s is the movie "Wall Street"...greed is good. Now everything is about short term, grabbing all the money you can, and not giving a damn if the company goes under as long as you got yours. Things used to be built to last, now it's all about planned obsolescence. You're either getting products that are shoddily made so that they break and you have to replace them, or they advertise in a way that has you always chasing the next best thing (Apple comes to mind here). There are a few other things I noticed, this whole "greed is good" mindset means that you are always ripping people off, in order to do this and get away with it, a couple things have to be in place. First you have to own the government so that there is little or ineffective regulation and little or no law enforcement. That's what Reaganomics was all about, DEREGULATION! Let the market control itself. Corporations own our government now. The other thing is that you have placate the people so that they are not paying attention to what is happening until it's too late. They know we have a short attention span, and that's where things like reality tv, National Enquirer, and what everyone is talking about here with the flash and dazzle instead of actual talent being the most important thing. We know more about what celebrities are doing, and we're creating celebrities out of losers and paying attention to their sad lives, instead of what our government and corporations and other businesses are doing. Like the Wizard of Oz says, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

What does this have to do with music? Music is cultural, and what I've given is a short history of American culture. It's all about marketing now, almost every aspect of American life is marketing. It's about wonderful packaging with who-knows-what, possibly rotting garbage inside. Marketing is a total mind-f*ck. Business wants you ignorant and they own the govt. So schooling has gone downhill with our children learning to be the best worker drones and consumers possible. Out the window goes things like music, art, history, anything that would increase intellectual growth and critical thinking skills. You'll also notice it's become increasingly difficult to go to college in a world where you can not get a decent paying job without a college degree.

This doesn't mean that quality isn't important to some businesses, and again, music is a business too, but it's getting to that point. What I am hoping for is a backlash. Those of us my age or older have destoyed the future for our children and grandchildren and now all I can hope is they are smart enough to see that and to insist on quality over flash and dazzle; in music and other entertainment, and in their products, and in their government etc.

I'm a total Debbie Downer today, ain't I? lol

Everything you said is so true

Originally Posted by DonnaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm old. I've come to bore you with history! These are things I've noticed since the 70s when I started paying attention to things like this (I was born in '63) Back then business was about longevity. You wanted to turn out quality products that would have customers coming back for decades. You dumped your earnings back into your business, either having it grow outwardly, as in opening new stores, or making your product available to more stores, etc or your growth might be in creating different or better products. A sign of changes that were happening in the 80s is the movie "Wall Street"...greed is good. Now everything is about short term, grabbing all the money you can, and not giving a damn if the company goes under as long as you got yours. Things used to be built to last, now it's all about planned obsolescence. You're either getting products that are shoddily made so that they break and you have to replace them, or they advertise in a way that has you always chasing the next best thing (Apple comes to mind here). There are a few other things I noticed, this whole "greed is good" mindset means that you are always ripping people off, in order to do this and get away with it, a couple things have to be in place. First you have to own the government so that there is little or ineffective regulation and little or no law enforcement. That's what Reaganomics was all about, DEREGULATION! Let the market control itself. Corporations own our government now. The other thing is that you have placate the people so that they are not paying attention to what is happening until it's too late. They know we have a short attention span, and that's where things like reality tv, National Enquirer, and what everyone is talking about here with the flash and dazzle instead of actual talent being the most important thing. We know more about what celebrities are doing, and we're creating celebrities out of losers and paying attention to their sad lives, instead of what our government and corporations and other businesses are doing. Like the Wizard of Oz says, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

What does this have to do with music? Music is cultural, and what I've given is a short history of American culture. It's all about marketing now, almost every aspect of American life is marketing. It's about wonderful packaging with who-knows-what, possibly rotting garbage inside. Marketing is a total mind-f*ck. Business wants you ignorant and they own the govt. So schooling has gone downhill with our children learning to be the best worker drones and consumers possible. Out the window goes things like music, art, history, anything that would increase intellectual growth and critical thinking skills. You'll also notice it's become increasingly difficult to go to college in a world where you can not get a decent paying job without a college degree.

This doesn't mean that quality isn't important to some businesses, and again, music is a business too, but it's getting to that point. What I am hoping for is a backlash. Those of us my age or older have destoyed the future for our children and grandchildren and now all I can hope is they are smart enough to see that and to insist on quality over flash and dazzle; in music and other entertainment, and in their products, and in their government etc.

I'm a total Debbie Downer today, ain't I? lol

Music? Is that what  it's still called? I can't stand to watch BET, MTV, and Vh1 anymore. All this reality crap. Don't get me wrong I do watch some of it, just not all. Mainstream music belongs to the younger generation now. And it sickens me to hear and see what mainstream is all about now. I have 3 girls, we are better off throwing all tvs, internet and radio out the window. Not the era that I would prefer for my kids to grow up in. Mind you, I am not that old. I am 26 and disgusted with it all. Even if you watch some of the cartoons that are on nowadays. What ever happened to doug and rugrats and hey arnold! Cartoons these days are just straight up gross. I don't think music is evolving nor dying. Recycling old songs/snippets is old. If you don't know the history behind what you're trying to make, you just make yourself look so stupid when you put it out. It has no meaning anymore.

No, music is not dying. Then again, I hardly ever listen to the radio and my favorite genre of music is indie (although I really do listen to almost every genre, including oldies and classic rock). There's so many amazing artists and bands out there: Sigur Ros, Yelle, Animal Collective, Lykke Li, etc. Also, keep in mind that there were a lot of top hits from the 50s to the 80s that were just as terrible as some of the most popular songs today - not every song was on the level of a "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" or a "Gimme Shelter".

I am 18 going on 19 so yes i'm young, i like some artist like cris brown's new style, they whole thing he does witht he dub-step its cool. And rappers like Childish Gambino, A.K.A  Troy from comunity, he's a nice rapper. But i do thing music is dyeing; There isn't much soul, or tuth in it anymore. I prefur to listen to older music from the 70's to late 90's; because after that i think they didn't know what to do. But music has done this before in it long but short life. It goes away;and just as people have no hope for it; artist like plain white-t's, burno mars, micheal buobay, marune 5, P!nk, and Avril Lavine come to save they day with a wounderful song that speeks to everyone's heart. its the same in everything we see; movies, books, and TV's shows.  yay! music! P.S sorry for mispelled words and names

Back